Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO booted from #1 best MMORPG?

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This relates to the hot MMORPG's on http://www.mmorpg.com/ (halfway down the page)

Just as an observation, but for the past week TESO held #1 in top Released Games.  Now it's bumped hard to #4.  In 6 hours actually this has happened.

It's not a terrible game, just not spectacular.  I guess that's why?

Are people changing their minds now?  If they change their mind, it's cool.  There aren't really many new votes to account for the shift, so apparently peps are recasting their scores.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• dxsaoshidxsaoshi Member Posts: 18
    It's because of all the trolls who vote 1 when they haven't even played the game. GG mmorpg review system. Just like metacritic it caters to trolls.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

This warranted a thread?  

An arbitrary, easily-manipulated poll on a website where the minority tends to have the loudest voice?  I mean, GW2 is the top game on that poll.  And TSW is right up there as well.  That should tell you all you need to know about how important and noteworthy that rating system is.  

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by dxsaoshi
    It's because of all the trolls who vote 1 when they haven't even played the game. GG mmorpg review system. Just like metacritic it caters to trolls.

Then why isn't GW2, FFXIV or TSW lower? Is ESO the only game with trolls?

• RazankaRazanka Member UncommonPosts: 67
    ZOMG!!! ESO is being down rated on an arbitrary ranking system that means nothing. The fact the TSW and FFXIV are even on that list tells you that the ranking system is a complete joke, cause both those games are terrible.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    NCsoft pays more money.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    OR maybe just maybe, people initially loved the outside appearance of it then played enough of it to see all the nasty little things wrong with it? I guess that's why they call the initial month of a game the honeymoon phase.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Originally posted by Razanka
    ZOMG!!! ESO is being down rated on an arbitrary ranking system that means nothing. The fact the TSW and FFXIV are even on that list tells you that the ranking system is a complete joke, cause both those games are terrible.

Perhaps even more people think that ESO is terrible.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I think ESO (there is no f'ing T) is perhaps one of the worst MMOs I have ever played. It is a POS. My opinion and I am entitled to it. However, I didn't vote in your silly poll so don't blame me. image

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's objective information.

It's the way of consumers.  They make the votes, and guess what?  But they aren't trolls, they are customers.  It's interesting.

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

This warranted a thread? 

^This

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Karteli

It's the way of consumers.  They make the votes, and guess what?  But they aren't trolls, they are customers.  It's interesting.

Yup, it's about as interesting as metacritic consumer ratings for movies.  And by interesting, I mean worthless.

Yup, it's about as interesting as metacritic consumer ratings for movies.  And by interesting, I mean worthless.

If you say so, I guess.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

This relates to the hot MMORPG's on http://www.mmorpg.com/ (halfway down the page)

Just as an observation, but for the past week TESO held #1 in top Released Games.  Now it's bumped hard to #4.  In 6 hours actually this has happened.

Are people changing their minds now?  If they change their mind, it's cool.  There aren't really many new votes to account for the shift, so apparently peps are recasting their scores.

Humm Darkfall was #1 on the MMORPG list for months see how good that turned out to be? The list really means nothing other then some game has enough fans or haters to make alt accounts to raise or lower the game they Love or hate. If you really judge everything thing by PR, Hype and what strangers on the internet tell you rather then your own experience I expect your gonna be disappointed a lot in life.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

It was posted on Reddit, haters didn't like it was 1st, so they voted it down.  I like that you are implying that MMORPG rating matters.  If it were true, TSW would be a raging success but it isn't.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST

This warranted a thread? 

^This

To True

Originally posted by winter

Humm Darkfall was #1 on the MMORPG list for months see how good that turned out to be? The list really means nothing other then some game has enough fans or haters to make alt accounts to raise or lower the game they Love or hate. If you really judge everything thing by PR, Hype and what strangers on the internet tell you rather then your own experience I expect your gonna be disappointed a lot in life.

source?

Are you saying ESO will end up like Darkfall?  oh boy :/

Originally posted by BeansnBread

That is a good point, in terms of ratio the more popular you are the more haters you will have.  LoL and WoW probably lead the field in terms of haters.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    People have an axe to grind with regards to this game, hence any opportunity is taken to cast it in a negative light, all behind a
    passive aggressive front of bringing the "truth" to the masses for their benefit.

Next, mock indignation at having "noble"motives questioned.

Polls go up, polls go down, the one on this site isn't any more reliable in providing insight into a games success than a mediums crystal ball.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by SoMuchMass

It was posted on Reddit, haters didn't like it was 1st, so they voted it down.  I like that you are implying that MMORPG rating matters.  If it were true, TSW would be a raging success but it isn't.

If it didn't matter, then it would be public info.  This thread only deals with MMORPG.com peps and their preferences.

If it didn't matter, then it would be public info.  This thread only deals with MMORPG.com peps and their preferences.

Popularity is more important of a stat than a vote based on a few hundred people.  For example, a game like ArcheAge announced Alpha today and has no buzz anywhere.  Not on MMORPG not on the Alpha streams, absolutely no where.  I bet they would love the popularity of a game like ESO instead of a stat that means nothing.

• TehrothTehroth Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by winter

But Darkfall was a unique experience that tried to be different and succeeded in many regards. However the alienation of their player base and the shut down of Darkfall online for Unholy wars really paved the way for a tanking game. Unholy wars still is better than anything themepark out there, but unfortunately it pales compared to the first version(Granted DF1 had serious problems).

If unholy wars built on Darkfall 1 instead of eliminating key components and adding if even dumber ones it may have been a success. Oh and if it was sold and reworked by a better company than Aventurine. They are terrible.

Fact still remains once the 1 month is over ESO population with half or worse.

Originally posted by BeansnBread

That is a good point, in terms of ratio the more popular you are the more haters you will have.  LoL and WoW probably lead the field in terms of haters.

Except ESO is nowhere near as popular as either of those games. They would be lucky if they have already sold 2 million copies and hold onto 750k subs the first month. So your "ratio logic" (which is a fallacy anyway) is actually making ESO look even worse.

Besides that, the dropoff in the number is enormous for the first week. Games like GW2, TSW and FFXIV:ARR held on to number 1 far longer than this one did. 

I do agree that this number doesn't represent how good the game is. But it may help paint a part of a picture about how much people are liking it when compared to other releases one week after launch.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Yeah, and if the "general consensus" of expressed opinions on MMORPG.COM forums reflected reality, the WoW servers would have shut down years ago.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

/shrug

I like and am enjoying it right now. Will it last? I don't know. Will it succeed? I don't know. Polls and trolls and angry people on the internet don't change the fact that I have an MMO that I enjoy for the time being.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Hey OP...I suppose because your EULA credit card thread got locked, you had to find something else negative to say. What on earth do you actually spend your free-time doing?...Do you actually play any MMO, or just bash want you don't like?
This discussion has been closed.