Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its happening

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

People are burning out on this game.... And its mostly the hardcore players... For reasons i predicted long time ago...

when do they finally understand that these themepark games are for us casuals, us casuals that play 100 hours a month or less... Us casuals that play to enjoy the journey.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

People are burning out on this game.... And its mostly the hardcore players... For reasons i predicted long time ago...

when do they finally understand that these themepark games are for us casuals, us casuals that play 100 hours a month or less... Us casuals that play to enjoy the journey.

No, impatient people and quitters are burning out. Hardcore players are waiting for Craglorn.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    My playtime is already at 4 days and I am only level 22 and still having a blast. I don't know why people rush through a game like this. It's meant to be enjoyed thoroughly in all aspects along the way. It's the first game that my friends and I can play for more than 3 hours in one sitting, the journey is great.
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Might be happening for some , certainly not for me , I'm loving everything about this game and even thinking about it when I'm not playing it.

There are always going to peeps than burn out quickly on games.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    This will be exacerbated on May 4th when people have to renew their subscription or most likely cancel.  Especially if their not having fun or burned themselves out within that first month.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Tgiordano92
    My playtime is already at 4 days and I am only level 22 and still having a blast. I don't know why people rush through a game like this. It's meant to be enjoyed thoroughly in all aspects along the way. It's the first game that my friends and I can play for more than 3 hours in one sitting, the journey is great.

Lol, I know right?!?!?!?

I'm not even close to 4 days at this point, but whenever I think about the time I've spent (like 15 hours) compared to my level it just astounds me that someone got through this in a day. It must have been exploits. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    I'm confused :(

I thought the superb pvp endgame was supposed to keep those hardcore players who rushed to level cap engaged and playing?

PvE was always supposed to be the levelling process in ESO with the endgame being AvA, so how are players burning out on ESO already?
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

100 hours a month isn't casual.  It's borderline hardcore (semi-hardcore).

Casual is more like 2-20 hours a month.

Who's to say hardcore doesn't enjoy the journey too?  Sick of people spouting that BS "It's about the journey not the destination", when there are plenty of people who play hardcore, complete all content, burn out, and experience the same exact count as a casual does.  Some even experience it at the same PACE (on an hourly basis) as a casual does.

In reality, most hardcore players who you'd consider rushing "content locusts" or whatever negative stereotype who blow through current MMOs quickly actually experienced content that is more challenging, better designed (as developers focus efforts on end game), and more meaningful than anything people who spout the journey nonsense and claim they have a better experience than those players experienced.

Of course people are burning out on TESO.  Even at a casual pace the game has a lack of endgame content to keep players interested.  Outside of PvP, there isn't really any difficult challenge to be had in the game itself (the dungeons are simplistic) and the new game+ (I forget what they call it) doesn't really qualify as new content and the adventure zones aren't in the release of the game.  It's not as if this hasn't been the case for just about every major MMO release in the past 10 years either.  Sorry, but your "prediction" isn't anything impressive and we don't need another forum post bragging about how right you were and how hardcore players are the devil.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

What makes you say that? Did they release some kind of official numbers on mass amounts of people quitting and burning out? Or are you just basing it on your personal expierience?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not really disputing what you are saying just wondering if it's anything more then your personal conjecture..

As for me im still a lowly lvl 16 sorc and I also have a lvl 9 DK. It's hard for me to find more then a few hours a day to play though. My job, family and friends demand most of my attention. And from what I can tell it's much longer to level up in this then most recent themeparks...I wouldn't be surprised that the people who have been playing 12 hrs a day since early access are getting burned out. So would I.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka

I thought the superb pvp endgame was supposed to keep those hardcore players who rushed to level cap engaged and playing?

PvE was always supposed to be the levelling process in ESO with the endgame being AvA, so how are players burning out on ESO already?

I agree the PVP endgame is superb! I love passive negativity

People can get burned out by

a. playing too much. 100 hours in 2 weeks is a lot

b. trying to quest grind to 50 and ignore the actual stories/exploring the area they are in. This is boring as hell as i found out in beta just trying to hit level 10

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    So you are saying people are playing the game wrong? It isn't the floaty combat or bad animations that are contributing factors?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

Its happening? You haven't seen anything yet.

I have seen many times before the same story, but never seen so many ppl complaining about a game only one week after launch. Not about bugs, but for the game itself. And i m not speaking about ppl who post here, but ppl i know in real life.

Is the game bad? I don't think so (not my taste but i don't think its a bad game at all), but they all made the same mistake. They new that it wasn't for their taste. They never liked much questing or hanging up with the lore. They also never wanted PvP as their end game content and they always were Raiders.

Now why the hell they bought ESO in first place? Imo because its something new, its ES, hyped and thought this would change something to their play style. But no, you can adjust your tastes to a game. Either you like it and buy it or you don't and let it pass.

So, despite i don't like ESO, i think that its their mistake and not games fault. Games are not like clothes fashion. Don't buy them if you don't like the concept. So simple.

• eriksrevengeeriksrevenge Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I don't understand why a "casual" player, would want to pay a subscription for a game they can hardly find time to play.  
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    This will be exacerbated on May 4th when people have to renew their subscription or most likely cancel.  Especially if their not having fun or burned themselves out within that first month.

O wow that explains the reason behind SWTOR giving away an extra 1000 cartel coins on May the 4th to subbs.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    So you are saying people are playing the game wrong? It isn't the floaty combat or bad animations that are contributing factors?

So you are saying that your opinion on the animations and "floaty" combat aren't actually opinions but the gospel truth? I have some issues with ESO, mainly it's got too many bugs. I think the combat and animations are really nice and feel good playing. Generally speaking, in my expierience the people that rush to max lvl actually enjoy it. They aren't playing wrong. They are also never satisfied because no mmo has infinite content. Eventually they reach the end...eventually they get burnt out. Then they move onto the next game, do the same thing, and whine about lack of content some more.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by BadOrb

O wow that explains the reason behind SWTOR giving away an extra 1000 cartel coins on May the 4th to subbs.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I know you're not serious, but then again.... just gonna say may the 4th be with you :P

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303

That's not the impression I got. I thought they have three pronged approach to endgame aimed at three different demographics altogether.

1. PvP - Aimed at PvPers. I don't think any reasonable person (even as big an ESO fan as I have become) could reasonably expect PvP to keep hardcore PvE raiders engaged and playing. This was intended to capture former DAoC and WAR players.
    2. Veteran PvE: This was meant to provide a single player endgame experience for those who enjoy soloing in MMOs and traditionally don't have any content for them at max level. It's made in such away that it's advantageous for everyone to get through it eventually but it's aimed at the PvE solo player.
    3. Adventure Zones: While they didn't make it into launch, they are coming soon and this is the content aimed at your raiders.
    Who's burning out? Well if I had to guess; mostly people from group 3 who burned through the levels as fast as possible, didn't explore much, and didn't research the game much. They got to 50, said where's my raid? And, turned their noses up at the other two options. That's just my guess, I don't have any hard data behind it, but it seems logical.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

These days it's "omg, I must hurry through this PVE leveling thing asap to get to the real content where it all happens;  the endgame" for many.

You can easily spot that group of people when they start complaining about endgame content when they are still leveling or doing a query about a upcoming game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I find these threads kind of funny with these new games. I been playing EQ2 for 9 and a half years and still not truly bored. Always something to do besides PvP and kill stuff. Even with vanilla EQ2 there was so much to do that I was never bored.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    @ArChWind

I had exactly the same experience with SWG.Subbed for over 8 years straight and never got bored :)
  • UmirshandUmirshand Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I know you're not serious, but then again.... just gonna say may the 4th be with you :P

One of the best things I've ever read on these forums

"Look at me when I'm hitting you!"

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Originally posted by Aroukos

Its happening? You haven't seen anything yet.

I have seen many times before the same story, but never seen so many ppl complaining about a game only one week after launch. Not about bugs, but for the game itself. And i m not speaking about ppl who post here, but ppl i know in real life.

Is the game bad? I don't think so (not my taste but i don't think its a bad game at all), but they all made the same mistake. They new that it wasn't for their taste. They never liked much questing or hanging up with the lore. They also never wanted PvP as their end game content and they always were Raiders.

Now why the hell they bought ESO in first place? Imo because its something new, its ES, hyped and thought this would change something to their play style. But no, you can adjust your tastes to a game. Either you like it and buy it or you don't and let it pass.

So, despite i don't like ESO, i think that its their mistake and not games fault. Games are not like clothes fashion. Don't buy them if you don't like the concept. So simple.

This would be substantially more convincing if there wasn't a very vocal contingent who were loudly complaining about the game before it was launched.  If anything, I think that opinions about this game became far more positive when the beta NDA was removed and a lot of people got to experience the game.

The initial draw will be the people who really like the questing and exploring.  Longer term it will be the PvP, adventure zones, and the pace at which other new things are added.  Right now there is a subset, primarily long term beta testers, who have pushed to the endgame.  Any group that slams through content that quickly is not going to be happy in any game; I think that catering to content locusts has been a disaster for game designers.  ESO has hundreds of hours of things to do on launch, and people who've ignored most of it to get to level cap in days are not their primary audience.  I think they know this, fortunately.

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Casuals do not play 100 hours a month. People are burning themselves out and it's their own fault.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    It's crazy... I started day one of the 5 day early access and my highest character is 12. There is so much to do in this game that I spend a lot of time running around the map that I lose track of time and only get a couple quests done. The problem is that they are playing it too much like WoW rather than an ES gane . There are to many things they have to be missing in this game if they are power leveling and/or rushing through quest hubs. They have no idea what's in this game world or don't care....why not just stick to a run of the mill MMO if you are going to play it like that???
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by dumpcat
    It's crazy... I started day one of the 5 day early access and my highest character is 12. There is so much to do in this game that I spend a lot of time running around the map that I lose track of time and only get a couple quests done. The problem is that they are playing it too much like WoW rather than an ES gane . There are to many things they have to be missing in this game if they are power leveling and/or rushing through quest hubs. They have no idea what's in this game world or don't care....why not just stick to a run of the mill MMO if you are going to play it like that???

^  Same! I'm now TRYING to level faster, and I'm only 15. Goodness!

• mobetta12mobetta12 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by AIMonster

Who's to say hardcore doesn't enjoy the journey too?  Sick of people spouting that BS "It's about the journey not the destination", when there are plenty of people who play hardcore, complete all content, burn out, and experience the same exact count as a casual does.  Some even experience it at the same PACE (on an hourly basis) as a casual does.

In reality, most hardcore players who you'd consider rushing "content locusts" or whatever negative stereotype who blow through current MMOs quickly actually experienced content that is more challenging, better designed (as developers focus efforts on end game), and more meaningful than anything people who spout the journey nonsense and claim they have a better experience than those players experienced.

Of course people are burning out on TESO.  Even at a casual pace the game has a lack of endgame content to keep players interested.  Outside of PvP, there isn't really any difficult challenge to be had in the game itself (the dungeons are simplistic) and the new game+ (I forget what they call it) doesn't really qualify as new content and the adventure zones aren't in the release of the game.  It's not as if this hasn't been the case for just about every major MMO release in the past 10 years either.  Sorry, but your "prediction" isn't anything impressive and we don't need another forum post bragging about how right you were and how hardcore players are the devil.

First off, you are making the same mistake that the people you "are sick of" are making. It is about the journey, always. People's journeys are not homogeneous; there is a different rate of play for almost every person out there.

Challenge is also relative. What is challenging to you may not be challenging to another, and vice versa.

Your post appears to be riddled with the same expectations you cite. You seem to expect people to agree on "better designed", "more meaningful" , "more challenging", without actually expressing those expectations directly. If these forums are any evidence, people do not agree on these things. :)

This discussion has been closed.