Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Moon (Vampirism) skipped due to Downtime - ingame cycles continue, no reset - how is this even p

HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Many of us are waiting every ingame night now particularly for the moon to turn to New Moon and spawn Bloodfiends to acquire the Vampirism curse. From yesterday night (RL) to this morning (RL) we had a server down. Last night the moon was perceived as a sickle, a thin sickle. This morning / noon the moon is still a sickle, but a sickle in another angle. This logically means it has skipped the New Moon phase on live (while the servers where offline apparently).

No server reset what so ever.

It is simply inacceptable to bring down the servers while the ingame day/night cycles are continuing in a normal fashion - and in this way skipping one important moon phase, such as now did, the New Moon.

We are having now to wait one more week to (maybe if no downtime again) get a chance to become infected again.

I am really disappointed.

Comments

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Looks like you'll have to wait until next week.  Sorry they ruined your life.  Server maintenance is going to be an ongoing and regular thing.  In order to maintain a reliable moon schedule, they aren't going to pause it during downtime.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Jeez weez you guys really know how to suck the fun from each game. One week is really nothing. Why moan and groan. I think the MMO community has really changed from when I played EQ in 1999.

Chamber of Chains
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Abuz0r
    Looks like you'll have to wait until next week.  Sorry they ruined your life.  Server maintenance is going to be an ongoing and regular thing.  In order to maintain a reliable moon schedule, they aren't going to pause it during downtime.

It would be kind of funny if they schedule their downtime everytime there is a full moon.

Also OP, you kind of need that moon to become a werewolf, not a vampire.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Yes I was wondering about the moon and vampire thing too thought it was lycanthropy that was affected by the moon

Chamber of Chains
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

It would be kind of funny if they schedule their downtime everytime there is a full moon.

Also OP, you kind of need that moon to become a werewolf, not a vampire.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the cycle isn't exactly weekly, so the odds of this happening are miniscule, and then that would be a bug to correct.

There is a chance that they will appear every night. Once however killed, their respawn period remains a mystery. You can also contact vampirism from other players (people are already selling this).
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by cheyane

Jeez weez you guys really know how to suck the fun from each game. One week is really nothing. Why moan and groan. I think the MMO community has really changed from when I played EQ in 1999.

Because in a subscription game you are actually paying for that week :) 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yes I was wondering about the moon and vampire thing too thought it was lycanthropy that was affected by the moon

In this game it works on full moon for lycanthropy and new moon for vampirism.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I think the Vampire and Werewolf stuff is a really cool addition to the game but it shouldn't be something that a lot of people are getting within the first week or two.

I think the OP highlights one of the major problems with MMO's these days, instant gratification.   

Back in original SWG, it literally took hundreds of hours and some luck to unlock Jedi.   When you saw a Jedi it was impressive.    These days, people like the OP expect everything to happen right away and seem to get all bent out of shape when it doesn't.

I would hope that it would take many weeks or even months of trying in order to unlock the Vampire and Werewolf skill lines.   If people could get it in a week or two, that would ruin the cool factor in my opinion.

Not many people will like to take those two traits, especially those interested in PvP. There are huge downsides with both afflictions, making you easy picking for people with the right spec (fire for vampires, poison for werewolves).
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Xssiv

I think the Vampire and Werewolf stuff is a really cool addition to the game but it shouldn't be something that a lot of people are getting within the first week or two.

I think the OP highlights one of the major problems with MMO's these days, instant gratification.   

Back in original SWG, it literally took hundreds of hours and some luck to unlock Jedi.   When you saw a Jedi it was impressive.    These days, people like the OP expect everything to happen right away and seem to get all bent out of shape when it doesn't.

I would hope that it would take many weeks or even months of trying in order to unlock the Vampire and Werewolf skill lines.   If people could get it in a week or two, that would ruin the cool factor in my opinion.

While you have a point, it would also take away any desire to have Fighters Guild skills in your hotbar for PvP that whole time, and there would also be much fewer people to use them on. So would kind of make FG a waste of time. If there wasnt something like the FG to counter vampires and werewolves maybe making them more difficult would be more important.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

Since one can get the vampire trait in game without the moons your point is? it appears like your just posting without a clue about a game you do not play just to troll. Am I wrong?

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

^

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Hrotha

^

So do you just sit around for an entire week and wait to get the curse?  Or do you actually, you know...play the game?  Otherwise, I'm not sure what paying for a week in a game you are playing has to do with anything.  Particularly since there will be other full moons as well as the fact that you can get infected without having to be bitten.  You just need to wait until the appropriate level.

The things people complain about.....

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM :D

I'm pretty sure ESO will still be around in a week when the moon cycle hits again....

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I wouldn't make a huge deal out of having to wait a week to get the disease, but lost in this thread is a very good point that the OP made: in a game that has mechanics for contracting vampirism or lycanthropy based on the spawn of rare mobs that only spawn at night when the moon is in the correct phase, having the server clock keep ticking while the game is offline for maintenance shouldn't happen.

If the game had no time sensitive events, then no big deal. But here it does matter and the server should come back up without in-game time having elapsed.

I don't blame people for being pissed at missing a time-sensitive event that only happens once a week and even then you're not guaranteed to find the rare spawn or have it bite you before the organized vampire and werewolf guild cartels (I shit you not) who want to sell their bites for exorbitant amounts of gold, kill them.

Whether it's worth getting it or not is irrelevant. The fact is that it's a rare event that got missed by the game clock not coming back where it was after the maintenance.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

In Skyrim you can get werewolf disease in the first hour. It takes a few for vampire. So get your Eq with on your way out, and don't let the door hit you on the butt. 

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

With the popularity and everyone trying to be a werewolf or vampire I think the really cool playing would be to try and avoid getting infected. 

I am currently roleplaying a Khajiit with a dire fear of water.  Let me tell you roleplaying a fear of water in ESO is a hella challenge.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Agreed. It's annoying, but seems to have become the social norm.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303

In Skyrim you can get werewolf disease in the first hour. It takes a few for vampire. So get your Eq with on your way out, and don't let the door hit you on the butt. 

This isn't Skyrim. Vampirism and Lycanthropy should be rare and harder to get. Oh, and he didn't mention EQ anywhere in that post. He mentioned SWG. So get your Skyrim with you on your way out and don't let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya. :)

• DewBaahDewBaah Member Posts: 16

So you need to wait a few days to do something in a game that is desinged to keep you playing for months?

Not everything needs to be rushed through. Remember you paid to play their game. You didn't pay so they would  Cater to you.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The apologists in this thread act as if it would be a huge chore for Zenimax to rectify such a trivial issue.  They could just as easily stall the clock during downtime for those players who have limited time to play during the week so they can participate in the time sensitive content in the game with much less hassle.  Common courtesy isn't something that should be lost on a company that focuses on customer service.  It's also something that seems to be greatly lacking for many posters on this site.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    The apologists in this thread act as if it would be a huge chore for Zenimax to rectify such a trivial issue.  They could just as easily stall the clock during downtime for those players who have limited time to play during the week so they can participate in the time sensitive content in the game with much less hassle.  Common courtesy isn't something that should be lost on a company that focuses on customer service.  It's also something that seems to be greatly lacking for many posters on this site.

Common courtesy =/= making the game operate how you think it should rather than how it does. Time sensitive content? What does that even mean? It's one week. One.

I'm just baffled by the level of entitlement these days. I'm sure you think that ZOS changing the way the servers work just for you and a few other people is way up high on their priority list for something that is such a small part of the game it's insignifcant. I mean, why worry about fixing game breaking bugs for hundreds of thousands of others when we can work on changing moon phases for all 7 people who can't wait a week to get what they want?

I'm not trying to be rude btw, I'm just completely unable to follow this from a logical standpoint, and I really would like an insight on to how this negatively affects someone beyond having to wait 7 days to get something they want, which would just make it that much more rewarding, right?

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Common courtesy =/= making the game operate how you think it should rather than how it does. Time sensitive content? What does that even mean? It's one week. One.

I'm just baffled by the level of entitlement these days. I'm sure you think that ZOS changing the way the servers work just for you and a few other people is way up high on their priority list for something that is such a small part of the game it's insignifcant. I mean, why worry about fixing game breaking bugs for hundreds of thousands of others when we can work on changing moon phases for all 7 people who can't wait a week to get what they want?

I'm not trying to be rude btw, I'm just completely unable to follow this from a logical standpoint, and I really would like an insight on to how this negatively affects someone beyond having to wait 7 days to get something they want, which would just make it that much more rewarding, right?

That you would label a topic such as this as entitlement is baffling.

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

When they stall the clock like you suggest, all the other "time sensitive" issues will most probably be blocked at the same time.

Then OP (or other people) will be back here because his planning for crafting research is off, or because he can`t feed Betty since the timer will be up only when he's going to bed now..  losing their precious time!!

Nothing is ever trivial in MMOs, you guys should know this by now!