Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth buying? Yes, or no?

Comments

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Nyghthowler
    Originally posted by Stimos8

i was greatly looking forward to the game, before trying beta, but after i played eso for about a day, I actually couldn't stand to log on/ play it anymore, it just felt static, not interactive and rather bad.

Going by that sentence I wonder why you would even be here asking if this wasn't intended to be a Troll post intended to start another flame war...?

Simple, I genuinely want to know whether or not the game is worth buying/ playing :) That was my initial first impression, but I have never gotten close to/ to the level cap, so I have no idea what its like at higher levels, hence why I am inquiring.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Eir_S

This whole thread is suspect.

I don't like this game, it's boring.  Should I buy it to waste time til the game I want (that's totally more awesome) comes out?

Right in the ESO forums. lol

Sorry :( Didn't mean to make it suspect in anyway, I am really wanting to know what people think of the game, and whether or not its worth it for them and why, this then helps me work out whether or not I should get it :) apologies if I caused you any confusion.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I think it depends on your play style. I was very excited about this game until I played it myself during a beta weekend. I was not a fan of it turned MMO. I would have preferred they kept this game single player and just flushed out the game mechanics a little more. Similar to SWTOR where KOTOR was a great game and made for single player was instead made into a MMO with it feeling more like a single player experience. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S

This whole thread is suspect.

I don't like this game, it's boring.  Should I buy it to waste time til the game I want (that's totally more awesome) comes out?

Right in the ESO forums. lol

Sorry :( Didn't mean to make it suspect in anyway, I am really wanting to know what people think of the game, and whether or not its worth it for them and why, this then helps me work out whether or not I should get it :) apologies if I caused you any confusion.

I don't care personally, I'm not a rabid ESO fan and I only played the beta.  Honestly, I'd like to know if it's worth buying too, I just think that comparing it in a poor light to Wildstar while simultaneously asking if it's worth the money will just irk some people.  I find it amusing, don't get me wrong, I hope you find something you really enjoy playing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Eso, is far more similar, as it is fantasy based, not that a wow clone is even bad...

ESO is not a wow clone.

If fantasy is your criteria for being a wow clone then Every fantasy mmo every made is a wow clone.

Did I call ESO a wow clone? I merely stated one criteria that both the games shared. Then I stated a point, saying that even if every criteria was the same, it wouldn't be bad. But I never said Eso was a wow clone :) Re-read if not sure, My writing may have been a bit unclear, sorry. :)

It seemed that you were saying it was a WoW clone. Just wanted to point out that it wasn't since you were wondering if it was worth buying.

Not saying a WoW clone isn't worth buying if that is your thing.image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Nyghthowler

i was greatly looking forward to the game, before trying beta, but after i played eso for about a day, I actually couldn't stand to log on/ play it anymore, it just felt static, not interactive and rather bad.

Going by that sentence I wonder why you would even be here asking if this wasn't intended to be a Troll post intended to start another flame war...?

Simple, I genuinely want to know whether or not the game is worth buying/ playing :) That was my initial first impression, but I have never gotten close to/ to the level cap, so I have no idea what its like at higher levels, hence why I am inquiring.

Yes. To ME it was and is worth buying. I'm having ALOT of fun playing. I honestly didn't care for it the first Beta weekend I got invited to. Got invited back to another and something ( I'm not sure what ) turned around and I loved it.

Is it the second coming or re-inventing the wheel? NO.

Is it a damned fun game that allows you to create a plate wearing, bow wielding Wizard if you desire? YES.

I'm not in any hurry to reach max level.  I'm enjoying the quests and storyline and working on crafting, which I have never done in any MMO before as I usually loath crafting.

• rainorxxrainorxx Member Posts: 85

IMHO........NO.

I bought the Imperial Edition and after 3 or 4 days playing, I don't feel desire of login.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Can't say anything about longevity, but I'm level 30 right now and have been having a blast. I'd say I'd already got enough entertainment out of it for it to be worth the box price.
  • FazhFazh Member UncommonPosts: 5
    its '' Hell YEAH''
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    In its current state 'no' if you don't have a thick skin to deal with lots of issues that game suffers from.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Of course YES !

You like Skyrim ? You ike Daoc ?  MUST BUY !

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

Yes, the game is a lot of fun.  The best game purchase I've made in a while.  There is a lot of content at high level and they are already talking content patches so I think the sub will be worth it as well.  The PR and business side of the zenimax team have some things to learn.  Not that there are not always a vocal minority that complain about anything, but seriously some of the mistakes they are making are going to turn players off from a really good game and that's a shame.

Not all who wander are lost...

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

The fanbois and shills are obviously going to say, "Yes!  Yes!  Yes!"

But, realistically, all Beta testing these days, closed or open Beta, is little more than part of the marketing spiel.  Like most releases these days, ESO needed several more months of testing and fixes... real testing, not marketing-oriented testing.

I would tell you to wait several months before buying, but if you're planning on going to WildStar in a couple of months anyway, then there is no reason to buy ESO.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

but after i played eso for about a day, I actually couldn't stand to log on/ play it anymore, it just felt static, not interactive and rather bad.

Because since there is nothing else out atm, that I am playing, I need something to tide me over until the totally awesome, Wildstar is released.

Guys, please don't recommend games to people who will clearly be unhappy with their purchase. You're wasting their money.

• DarkeonDarkeon Member UncommonPosts: 48

Short answer: YES

And if you have time to play a lot you will spend countless hours questing/exploring/fighting/crafting or whatever.

There are plenty of games that you pay 60$ and then spend like 10 - 15 hours TOP and you finish them and you never play them again.

I think it's worth every cent and the fact that it's pay to play makes it even better, specially these days where almost all free to play titles are garbage and you actually need to spend a lot of money if you want to enjoy them.

It's up to you in the end! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Rusque

but after i played eso for about a day, I actually couldn't stand to log on/ play it anymore, it just felt static, not interactive and rather bad.

Because since there is nothing else out atm, that I am playing, I need something to tide me over until the totally awesome, Wildstar is released.

Guys, please don't recommend games to people who will clearly be unhappy with their purchase. You're wasting their money.

Hey , at least we give them a legitimate reason to bash on the game endlessly afterwards when they didn't like it. image

As for the OP, you played for one day, how far did you really get?  The starters areas are a bit droll, even for Wildstar you are asking people to get to level 25 or beyond to enjoy it.

I'm level 17 right now, and find the quest lines have been good, I am really starting to understand and enjoy the flexibility the weapon/armor system provides regardless of class, and I am determined to find every skill shard in the game world.

Heck, who knows, one day I might even decide to craft, but for now I send all my gathered mats to the guild crafters so they can advance.

Assuming you are on the Wildstar train, I'd wait for it and not spend the money here.  Hey, if ESO does blossom into a major long term success, you can always play it later and enjoy it as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Darkeon

Short answer: YES

And if you have time to play a lot you will spend countless hours questing/exploring/fighting/crafting or whatever.

There are plenty of games that you pay 60$ and then spend like 10 - 15 hours TOP and you finish them and you never play them again.

I think it's worth every cent and the fact that it's pay to play makes it even better, specially these days where almost all free to play titles are garbage and you actually need to spend a lot of money if you want to enjoy them.

It's up to you in the end! 

You forgot to mention that all of these F2P mmorpgs also have an option to pay monthly sub so one doesn't need to spend a lot of money.

But since you outright call them all garbage so i can understand that it would be hard to get a well thought out reply from you.

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201

No, for you! Wait for WS, I belive it will be a nice game.

YES, a BIG one for me... its the game I´ve been waiting for.

----

----

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    In school teacher's always told me there is no such things as stupid questions...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    In school teacher's always told me there is no such things as stupid questions...

no...your teacher said the only stupid question is one NOT asked.....

that you didnt even get it right well.....lol

PAY ATTENTION AND QUIT GAMING...lol

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

If you have the time and money and you're bored, sure why not.  You're obviously intrigued enough to seek outside advice, and that may be all you need.

I, however, have the time and money and am bored as well, and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot lance after playing through the betas.  ESO shares the same underlying philosophy as all the clones that have come out in the last decade, and I want nothing to do with it.  Nothing new, just another single player game with multiplayer capabilities.  Until someone comes out with an MMO that actually bring something new to the table and actually requires you to play with other players (its hard), I will just forgo the genre.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

No - but coming here is pointless because the negative things about the game are filtered off of the forums.

There is not one gaming website that will talk negatively about any game - all of the gaming website you go to for "News", that is their secondary objective. The primary objective is to advertise for games.

MMORPG.com is no exception - How can you blame them or any other site for taking down and filtering out bad news about games? The success of games and the gaming industry is the hand that feeds them. The more money the games make, the more money websites like mmorpg.com and others will make. Advertisement is not free. When your website name is mmorpg.com, you can bet mmorpg publishers will want to advertise here.

If you want to trash a game, or get a more balanced opinion, I hate to say this but reddit will speak more of the truth and the truth will not be filtered out. Twitch can be a source as well but select broadcasters are paid off. Right now Towelliee on twitch is being paid off by Zenimax to stream ESO - some of the other streamers are pretty vocal about how much they dislike ESO.

Right now the the entire gaming world is trying to protect ESO from being trashed - the exception being reddit and the handful of twitch broadcasters, and folks like me whom have been trashing ESO for a while so that people don't get burnt by a trashy game just trying to make a buck off of the Elder Scrolls IP. 

ESO - could turn into a good game, but what your paying for right now is the foundation of the game, your basically funding the development just like it's a kickstarter campaign, the exception is they let you quest and give you a pvp instance. Compare that to all other mmorpg's and you will see there is not much to ESO, yet they charge consumers like it's the best game out there. 

The truth is, ESO is just a regular game, it will fall in the middle of the pack when it goes f2p, and today it's an overpriced p2p game. 

P2P deserves better than ESO - sorry but ESO you're not a p2p worthy game.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Stimos8"; href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Stimos8"; title="View information about Stimos8" suhlink"="">Stimos8

I dont care what anyone says $60 is allot to pay for one month if you don like it. I would buy the BOX so you at least get something for your money like I did.

I liked beta at 1st then just really disliked it (not hate just dislike lol). Yet as launch got closer I but the BOX. Having a blast. No there really is not anything that has changed I just didnt get enough time in beta to test what I wanted. For me and its different for all its the simplest, easiest mmo to date.

Every day I get 10+greens and crap.. its just to easy. I remember playing wow 2004 and it took over a year to get ONE orange and many many months to get 1-2 greens. It made playing for me fun...something to try for kind of thing. Quest that you REALLY had to search and kill more then 10. Yet now its HOLD YOUR HAND to every quest. And if you dont know where to go just look up in the right top corner it shows the quest and "HINT" just where to go.

If you liked the look of Morrowind you will love the game. Come on ALL NPC talk that alone is awesome. Granted there is no depth to the NPC talking so if they are 1 foot away or 50 feet or in the building behind you you hear them..sucks.

Up to you.. I bought it yet its NOT worth $60. If you buy it you really are just giving them $60 to play for one month. Side note I really expected it to be crowded yet lol its not ..ever. Its just right.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Are you bored and have spare income? Then sure, buy ESO. I enjoy the game, but if there was something better on the market right now I honestly would've passed. It felt as though they tried to go half elder scrolls game and half mmo, and thus they're lacking in both aspects in my opinion. I honestly feel the game would've been better off as a sort of 4 player co-operative game. In other words, Skyrim but with multi-player functionality. Then throw in some mod freedom, to allow players to add their own content, and voilà.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Bugs aside, I personally find the game to be very well enjoyable, and so does my gaming community (mostly, some stick to previous games).

Jumping into ESO after having played Darkfall Unholy Wars since launch (and the original game since launch prior to that), what I found in ESO was a surprising amount of entertainment. I went into the game expecting it to fail like most of these games do, but that turned out to be the opposite in my opinion.

I'm even finding myself enjoying the various different types of dungeons (4 man and public), and I swore never to play dungeons again after 5 years of WoW... But ESO managed to convince me to try them again.

Two main gameplay factors for me in this are the rapid pace of clearing 'trash' mobs, no more CC pulling one pack per minute and beating five million hit point 'trash' mobs until they finally die. The other factor is the freedom in group set-up. A dedicated healer is in most cases required, but everyone can pick up that role using restoration magic, and tanking can also be picked up by various classes using creative specs. The latter is more optional depending on your group's play style. The dungeon environments, story, traps, and effects also add value.

I honestly haven't done much of the PvP yet, I am currently veteran rank 1, which is essentially level 50 (and have been for about 3 days, the main quest is bugged and doesn't allow further progression for most people). My clan is currently focused on finding good specs and leveling to 50 before we jump into Cyrodiil for organized PvP.

TLDR: Bugs aside, ESO manages to surprise this MMORPG veteran with high entertainment value where it wasn't expected. In my opinion, it is worth the purchase, you can always decide to not subscribe later.