Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: H1ZZZ1: Wake Me When It’s Over

Comments

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I might be in minority, but Im excited for this announcement
  • Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

how can a game that is not sci fi, not in space and not its own complete lore universe be a successor to SWG?

Seems to me like he is just running his mouth to get fanfare.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

My gameplay prediction:

• Spend 30 minutes looking for a can of beans, don't find one, die of starvation, start again.
    • Spend 30 minutes looking for a can of beans, find one, get killed for another player for your beans, start again.
    • Don't trust anyone because they will kill you and steal your beans. so you run around on your own. Got to love that community spirit.
    • If you survive long enough to get weapons, kill other players on sight and steal their beans before they do it to you.

DayZ created a community of a-holes, this game will be the same. At least it's f2p.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    This sounds more appealing to me than EqNext, might check it out. Have to hear more firdt though.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Laughing-man Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw I for one am SHOCKED!!! mmorpg.com giving a sceptical/negative review of a SOE product? That's just CRAZY! What is this world coming to?! All razzing aside, I'd love to know what exactly Smed thinks SWG players actually wanted/miss, and how this game is going to fill that perceived void. It really seems they've truly lost the plot this time. 
    As an SWG Vet this game appeals to me, I like world building and sandbox open world communities etc.   This game is very similar mechanically and spiritually to SWG. If you can't see that, I doubt you played SWG.
      All I've seen is zombies getting shot in the face and smed saying you can lght stuff on fire. That doesn't scream swg to me. If he had said, "this game has more non combat professions than combat ones and here are some of the many social systems you can partake in." Then yes I would share your sentiment. You'll have to excuse me if I don't suddenly think "swg successor!" Every time someone says massive open persistent world. That is a huge jump for me at least.
    That's just it.

There is next to no information on this game and already this thread is going back and forth on how much of a SWG successor it is.

The thing I recall about SWG was that it's IP, It's setting, it's theme were almost incidental. One of the things that made SWG fun to play for me was that the game stood up by itself even though it was a Star Wars title. What I mean by that is that this game's mechanics need to stand on their own and the game cannot be dependent on the whole zombie thing. Otherwise that just makes it another Theme Park.

I agree. I'm not writing this game off. I just don't think there is enough information to start saying "swg successor". Frankly I'm a little surprised disto and laughing are jumping on that bandwagon so soon. I usually can count on more rationale from them than that.
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Geebus80

how can a game that is not sci fi, not in space and not its own complete lore universe be a successor to SWG?

Seems to me like he is just running his mouth to get fanfare.

Did he even say that or as usual people making their own connections?

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Also it may just be an attempt to cash in, but some of us have acquired enough patience now, and we know what to look for, that even an attempt to cash in like Zenimax is doing with the Elder Scrolls name will not be seen coming and will not fly under the radar without severe scrutiny similar to what eso is enduring and has endured.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by kairel182

What do you mean "another" survival horror MMO?  We don't have ANY that exist currently.  DayZ/Rust/Nether/Whatever are NOT MMO's; they're multiplayer games that only allow so many people on one server.  And they're all in super early development.

I'm totally understandable about skepticism surrounding SOE, they've burnt me in the past with Planetside too (not PS2, that game is terrible compared to PS1).  What I don't understand, however, is the completely ignorant and childish title for something that is boasted to be the next Star Wars Galaxy style game.  Granted it's a survival horror game, but I can't name a single one yet that exists let alone that was done "well".  DayZ mod was pasted on a terrible engine and is no where near finished, not to mention it's NOT an MMO as mentioned.

I swear, I've said it before that this site might as well be "Blizzard and anyone else not associated can suck it.com" because the only thing that ever seems to get praised around here are their horrible spoonfed, slop of games that a lobotomized monkey could play.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

This is the first true zombie survival MMO.  All the others have been online shooters with 50 people per server.  This will have THOU-SANDS.

Can you imagine the crazy dynamic wars that will break out?  It'll be like EvE on earth!

Color me very excited indeed.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Entinerint

What do you mean "another" survival horror MMO?  We don't have ANY that exist currently.

This is the first true zombie survival MMO.  All the others have been online shooters with 50 people per server.  This will have THOU-SANDS.

Can you imagine the crazy dynamic wars that will break out?  It'll be like EvE on earth!

Yeah, I can imagine... Thousands of people ganking the crap out of each other to get their beans. You spend weeks gathering wood to build a fort then someone comes along and burns it down while you are offline. Sounds like time well spent to me.Can't wait.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw I for one am SHOCKED!!! mmorpg.com giving a sceptical/negative review of a SOE product? That's just CRAZY! What is this world coming to?! All razzing aside, I'd love to know what exactly Smed thinks SWG players actually wanted/miss, and how this game is going to fill that perceived void. It really seems they've truly lost the plot this time. 
    As an SWG Vet this game appeals to me, I like world building and sandbox open world communities etc.   This game is very similar mechanically and spiritually to SWG. If you can't see that, I doubt you played SWG.
      All I've seen is zombies getting shot in the face and smed saying you can lght stuff on fire. That doesn't scream swg to me. If he had said, "this game has more non combat professions than combat ones and here are some of the many social systems you can partake in." Then yes I would share your sentiment. You'll have to excuse me if I don't suddenly think "swg successor!" Every time someone says massive open persistent world. That is a huge jump for me at least.
    That's just it.

There is next to no information on this game and already this thread is going back and forth on how much of a SWG successor it is.

The thing I recall about SWG was that it's IP, It's setting, it's theme were almost incidental. One of the things that made SWG fun to play for me was that the game stood up by itself even though it was a Star Wars title. What I mean by that is that this game's mechanics need to stand on their own and the game cannot be dependent on the whole zombie thing. Otherwise that just makes it another Theme Park.

I agree. I'm not writing this game off. I just don't think there is enough information to start saying "swg successor". Frankly I'm a little surprised disto and laughing are jumping on that bandwagon so soon. I usually can count on more rationale from them than that.

Hey now I didn't say that, I just said I agree that, "I like SWG and I like sandbox so I"m interested". Heh.

I'm not sold that this is SWG 2 or anything, I just see some potential in this, I've wanted this game since undead labs started talking about their MMORPG like this years ago.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NodboNNodboN Member UncommonPosts: 50

yeah i just hope for more interaction with the world. 

I could care less about building stuff if all the character is, is a puppet that only goes forwards and backwards turn left turn right jump fire gun. (which is all you do in planetside2)

Originally posted by Distopia
    Hey now I didn't say that, I just said I agree that, "I like SWG and I like sandbox so I"m interested". Heh.I'm not sold that this is SWG 2 or anything, I just see some potential in this, I've wanted this game since undead labs started talking about their MMORPG like this years ago.

Well I am with you there, my friend. I like the engine, I like the non instanced open world, I like building my own home.

Its just going to need some trademark SWG features for me to consider this some sort of homecoming like smed tweeted.

-Dynamic resource system
    -Dedicated crafting classes
    -Non combat social systems and hubs

those are bare minimum for me to think successor. If this game doesnt have that stuff Im not going to say the game sucks or anything. I'll prob even check it out at launch. It just wont be the game I was hoping for heh. But I can always appreciate a game for what it is.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    Originally posted by Entinerint

What do you mean "another" survival horror MMO?  We don't have ANY that exist currently.

Yeah, I can imagine... Thousands of people ganking the crap out of each other to get their beans. You spend weeks gathering wood to build a fort then someone comes along and burns it down while you are offline. Sounds like time well spent to me.Can't wait.

Get some friends to protect your shit while you are offline. with games like these you get out what you put in, if you run around solo getting into fights and and then raging after you get killed for the upteenth then yes time NOT well spent.

• uggeh12uggeh12 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I loved SWG and would love a spiritual successor  to it, but fuck me another damn zombie survival game? I can't be the only person that is sick and tired of the over-saturation of zombie games/movies/TV shows/etc. we've seen over the past few years, right?

Hey now I didn't say that, I just said I agree that, "I like SWG and I like sandbox so I"m interested". Heh.

I'm not sold that this is SWG 2 or anything, I just see some potential in this, I've wanted this game since undead labs started talking about their MMORPG like this years ago.

Well I am with you there, my friend. I like the engine, I like the non instanced open world, I like building my own home.

Its just going to need some trademark SWG features for me to consider this some sort of homecoming like smed tweeted.

-Dynamic resource system

those are bare minimum for me to think successor. If this game doesnt have that stuff Im not going to say the game sucks or anything. I'll prob even check it out at launch. It just wont be the game I was hoping for heh. But I can always appreciate a game for what it is.

I agree, without non combat roles, player to player needs, etc... there is no SWG in this. SWG was a lot more than the ability to have structures, and fight each other.

IF anything what I"m seeing sounds more like SHadowbane than SWG.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by uggeh12
    I loved SWG and would love a spiritual successor  to it, but fuck me another damn zombie survival game? I can't be the only person that is sick and tired of the over-saturation of zombie games/movies/TV shows/etc. we've seen over the past few years, right?

I agree completely. Zombies have been played out really badly over the last few years, more like a decade now. That being said, if it's horror survival in a post apocalyptic setting done RIGHT where you can feel the fear and hardship in the games atmosphere, even I would be willing to play one more zombie game.

Especially if it's the spiritual successor to SWG. Yes, I'm really tired of zombies and pretty much all my friends are as well, but I feel like we'd be willing to give it a shot if it plays like SWG did before NGE.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Hmm, I'm not too fond of a modern setting in an MMO. However, if it turns out to be a solid and fun game, I'll definitely give it a go. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

Originally posted by uggeh12

I'm more sick of the constant approach used by indie studios, or even worse the big ones with their COD like zombie modes. SOD is one of the only games I've played that really took the source material to heart IMO. I'm hoping this will be the second.

Just about all of those other titles, are gimmicks using the theme, they're not basing their product on that theme. AS all they are are naked gank fests half the time..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

-Dynamic resource system

I have a concern with this kind of title.

As I said before, a game like this needs to be it's own theme if you will. The world the players create is the attraction. The setting is just in the background.

In a true SWG MMO successor (IMO)  the zombie apocalypse theme is only needed to go ONLY so far as to give us the background and setting for the game. But the primary focus of the game still needs to be players creating an environment with other players. That in itself should be almost transplantable. It should be able to be plucked up and dropped back down in a fantasy world, A Steam Punk world, a Sci-Fi world, a zombie apocalypse world or any hybrid fusion of any of the above. And yet the game continues since the players are what created what really matters.

I am finding tough to believe that Smed isn't going to cross over the "Theme Park" line in order to push the zombie theme.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Is post apoc the new hipster thing to hate?What have been dozen game release themes? Fantasy. ESO and FFXIV were the last couple and they have been lauded and fawned over with nary an eye twitch while they have both rehashed mechanics from previous games. Did we see venomous articles and kneejerk poster reactions to those based on their themes?What is the other slightly less common mmo theme we've seen on the scene? Sci-fi or sci-fantasy. Have we seen indignation over spaceships and sci-fi magic?I can only conclude that the hip thing to do is to trash post apoc and/or zombies because it's a less treasured theme. The other themes have been done to dead-horse death.We don't want WoW clones (the reasons should be obvious by now). We don't like innovation (we wuv our trinity - we actually do want WoW clones). What do we want? Do we not want to show interest in a dev/pub trying to recreate a similar experience to SWG? I still hear whining pining posts about SWG all the time on this site, yet when the very publisher that had experience with that game and all the successes and mistakes made talks about making a go of it, the game is panned.Yes, I know there are different groups of people that like different things, but it sometimes strikes me as odd what trends our gaming herd follows.

I dont think its a hipster thing to hate but from a game context, it is one dimensional. Fantasy lends itself to more liberal interpretation with various power sources and factions, exotic races, types of magic etc.

Zombies are just zombies. Unless you want to start giving them social political structures and schools of magic or some rich backstory its just much more of a limited IP than fantasy.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Is post apoc the new hipster thing to hate?

What have been dozen game release themes? Fantasy. ESO and FFXIV were the last couple and they have been lauded and fawned over with nary an eye twitch while they have both rehashed mechanics from previous games. Did we see venomous articles and kneejerk poster reactions to those based on their themes?

What is the other slightly less common mmo theme we've seen on the scene? Sci-fi or sci-fantasy. Have we seen indignation over spaceships and sci-fi magic?

I can only conclude that the hip thing to do is to trash post apoc and/or zombies because it's a less treasured theme. The other themes have been done to dead-horse death.

We don't want WoW clones (the reasons should be obvious by now). We don't like innovation (we wuv our trinity - we actually do want WoW clones). What do we want? Do we not want to show interest in a dev/pub trying to recreate a similar experience to SWG? I still hear whining pining posts about SWG all the time on this site, yet when the very publisher that had experience with that game and all the successes and mistakes made talks about making a go of it, the game is panned.

Yes, I know there are different groups of people that like different things, but it sometimes strikes me as odd what trends our gaming herd follows.

I dont think its a hipster thing to hate but from a game context, it is one dimensional. Fantasy lends itself to more liberal interpretation with various power sources and factions, exotic races, types of magic etc.

Zombies are just zombies. Unless you want to start giving them social political structures and schools of magic or some rich backstory its just much more of a limited IP than fantasy.

That's very true, however when it coems to sandbox, there's a lot that can be done from a player dependency standpoint that supports that theme in a co-op environment. This is where I feel most Zombie titles fall flat.

And for the record, I'm all for somebody coming along and doing something interesting with zombies. But so far, the only "innovation" in the zombie genre is sometimes they are fast. SO yeah I can see how people are bored as hell with the medium. Pirates, Ninjas, you can expand on those tropes. You can give them new settings and storylines, heroes, all kinds of mystical relics and lore. But the best anyone can do with zombies is change around how they got there and whether they can run or not.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I can see it now a group of players are starving and trying to find food before they lose all hope. Wait one has a brilliant idea.......he clicks on the sony store and their saved! :P

A modern world where we have to fight off alien invaders could be done. That could really be expanded on in the area of crafting. Reverse engineering alien tech and building off that would be awesome as hell, but here everything is limited to what is real 21'st centruy technology. I don't see how crafting is going to be huge in this one though. What can we come up with?

Chainsaws bolted to the end of a pole?

Kevlar body armor?

ATV's with bladed snow thrower attachments?

Modified Nail Guns?

Cars with armored turrets?

Meh

Dup