Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: H1Z1 Explained in Letter from Smed

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Early acess for 20$

But it will eventually be F2P or what ?

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Neherun

Originally posted by BruceYee
    So what I get from all this is that SOE is trying to create the game we all wanted DAYZ to be?  

Exactly. A game map size of U.S

Nobody said that and it is not happening, stop making stuff up.
  • Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

Well I enjoed the first iteration of SWG - player cities, resource mining with huge extractors, etc.

I'm enjoying, for the most part, PlanetSide2.

I'm not even remotely interested in EQ-Next/Landmark

This game, however, seems interesting. I like zombies. I like "sandbox" games (though lets be honest that is an overused term and has no defined meaning anymore). I like player built structures and a world you can physically build or destroy.

I likely wont follow this game very closely BUT if it is truly F2P then I will give a go regardless of reviews.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by DMKano
    In other words - its DayZ with 1000s of playrs. Not sure why it took a wall of text to explain a zombie survival game.

Also you cant build a town/fortress in DayZ, nor be a farmer. I dont know how extensive DayZ crafting is either. What I do know is that I'm not interested in DayZ but this game seems like an awesome upcoming sandbox, with different ruleset servers.

Edit; PS. Obviously the wall of text is to inform people like you that it's different, so are you just trolling or unable to read? Pick one.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by BruceYee
    So what I get from all this is that SOE is trying to create the game we all wanted DAYZ to be?

Actually, it sounds like the game that we all hoped Fallen Earth would be...

Er, remember Fallen Earth ? Looking at these screenshots of H1Z1 definitely reminded me of FE.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Dewguy79
    [mod edit]

Smed never did anything to me. I have been on and off player for EQ and EQ2 for almost 10 years now.

Only because SWG fans got screwed by LA doesn't mean Smed is the devil. I am sure rest of the player base has no problem with Smed. Both EQ games got an excellent support and same will happen with EQN. So i have no problem playing another one of their MMO.

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

I'll gladly pay $20 for early access to this.  I have been biding my time waiting for DayZ to be at an acceptable level of playability and I know that if SOE has had this game in development since Rust or the DayZ standalone game have been in development, SOE will be MILES ahead in terms of the game actually working somewhat the way it's supposed to.  I played through WarZ/Infestation for months in a broken state until they got it "fixed," so I know I can make it through this.

The best thing I can think of about SOE making a game like this?  The likelihood of cheaters being abundant drastically drops (IMO).

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    [mod edit]

Smedley and SoE get more blind bashing than any other developer and its not even close. 

Plus no intelligent person actually believes a game designed to have no box cost charging a small fee for early access is unethical.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by lizardbones

"[M]ultiple rulesets".  They are dodging one bullet right off the bat. :-)

Thank God for that. Now people won't be complaining about 'where is my full loot open world pvp' and God these people are annoying.

If they do just tell them "DayZ is over there to the left".

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

"I made a 1911 the other day"

That sentence worries me. Is this going to be another secret world fail crafting system? The thought of gathering ore and out pops a semi automatic weapon makes me a little sad.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    SOE are in a good spot at the moment, DayZ:SA progress is slow as ballz and rust is a little too rough round the edges for most.  $20 early access on steam going to sell like hot cakes.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    [mod edit]

Smed never did anything to me. I have been on and off player for EQ and EQ2 for almost 10 years now.

Only because SWG fans got screwed by LA doesn't mean Smed is the devil. I am sure rest of the player base has no problem with Smed. Both EQ games got an excellent support and same will happen with EQN. So i have no problem playing another one of their MMO.

Well at least we know what "The Agency" MMO has turned into , a zombie MMO , hmm , o well they can at least recuperate some of the cash with the early access ( yes that was tongue in cheek ).

I think I would have preferred an agent themed MMO. I won't be fooled into giving them $20 for early access. I also wont hold my breath for it. All this charging for alpha , early access and betas is getting a bit much.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    If it has PvE servers, I'll try it, not a zombie fan, but quite like my sandbox games.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    All this charging for alpha , early access and betas is getting a bit much.

So you would prefer charging everyone a purchase price instead?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I like the idea behind this H1Z1, i don't know if i like the idea of the F2P bit though, SOE's monetisation methods often seem a bit overly P2W, only have to look at Planetside2 to see how that went, if you want to compete then you need to buy weapons, quite a few of them, and although it has a sub option, it doesn't really change the fact you still have to buy weapons, it just gives you faster XP, and thats something that may well end up in this new game, having said that though, Planetside 2 is an awesomely fun game. i don't think H1Z1 will be a WoW beater, but it may just be the end of Dayz .. yeah sorry couldnt resist it.image
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    While I like the concept of the game, I am disappointed in the so-called "free to play" aspect. I just read an article that states that 25 percent of those that play these so-called f2p titles actually pay money. That means that 1 person pays to allow 3 people to play for free. There is something very wrong with that. So, this new SOE title is going to go the same route...another ding joint.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

If this is supposed to be there "SWG" successor, it isn't going to work.

SWG was more than just gathering/crafting/trading, it was a RPG setting. A modern real world isn't going to draw former SWG players.

Now if they had gone with a real world that was devastated by an alien invasion that wiped out most of the population with an "alien" enemy and some futuristic crafting...ok.

Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    All this charging for alpha , early access and betas is getting a bit much.

So you would prefer charging everyone a purchase price instead?

Well Landmark and this new zombie MMO are F2P are they not ? So if they wanted money other than from a cash shop then they should have chosen the monetary models more carefully. Maybe the freemium model or as you said charge for them B2P ? They could have even been subb only games. It is very misleading to charge money for what you quoted from my older post. Just look at the poor haps on the Landmark forum , saying such things as I am still glad to be part of the alpha testing dev team , working along side them etc etc Such suckers and just shows the new generation haven't a clue anymore. They aren't proper testers anyway , especially after paying $100. It's quite sad and hilarious at the same time.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Tbau

SWG was more than just gathering/crafting/trading, it was a RPG setting. A modern real world isn't going to draw former SWG players.

Now if they had gone with a real world that was devastated by an alien invasion that wiped out most of the population with an "alien" enemy and some futuristic crafting...ok.

What is the difference between: 

Population being wiped out by "aliens". 

And

Population being wiped out by "zombies".

Originally posted by Kicksave321

And

Sci-fi . need I say more ? SWG was sci-fi.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

And

What was not understood about my post? SWG was more than just a gathering/crafting/trading game, which is the only thing this game has similar to SWG...so calling it an SWG successor makes no sense.

With aliens it brings in sci-fi which could then make it more like SWG in that we could create futuristic items, transform modern earth into a more futuristic one to defend our planet with and even eventually take it into space and thus adding in even more SWG elements.

And

What was not understood about my post? SWG was more than just a gathering/crafting/trading game, which is the only thing this game has similar to SWG...so calling it an SWG successor makes no sense.

With aliens it brings in sci-fi which could then make it more like SWG in that we could create futuristic items, transform modern earth into a more futuristic one to defend our planet with and even eventually take it into space and thus adding in even more SWG elements.

So you want Falling skies instead of The walking dead.  

There you go, since you seemed to have missed it the first time. Even with the misspelling that I didn't notice before.

There you go, since you seemed to have missed it the first time. Even with the misspelling that I didn't notice before.

I didn't miss it the 1st time.  Just don't think that will matter to the swg players.  I don't think it's so much sci if or modern world they care about it's more sandbox features over theme park features they want and won't care what skin it's in. 

Guess Smeds and soe chose to go with what's hot right now and that's zombies not aliens.  

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Foomerang

"I made a 1911 the other day"

That sentence worries me. Is this going to be another secret world fail crafting system? The thought of gathering ore and out pops a semi automatic weapon makes me a little sad.

I had the same thought reading that, I'd think we'd have Jerry-rigged weapons in this type of environment TBH, not bases that need molds etc, IE an exact 1911.. Makes no sense.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson