Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: H1Z1 Confirmed as Post-Apocalyptic MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Polygon is reporting that the big announcement for SOE's H1Z1 is that it is a post-apocalyptic MMO. The news site somehow saw advanced information from the L33T Lounge show where Smedley is set to reveal the first information about H1Z1. 

"H1Z1 is an MMO that allows players to take on the role of an apocalypse survivor who is in a world that is filled with zombies," Smedley told Game talk Live. "A world! Not just a little tiny server."

As he watched Smedley play H1Z1, podcast co-host Todd Roy noted that it's "scary." According to Smedley, there's a purpose behind that.

"That's the point," Smedley said. "When you see a zombie coming up to you with nothing out but a highway flare. But here is something your gonna be able to do that you can't do in these other games: Light things on fire. We are in the middle of putting that in so you are gonna be able to burn down trees, burn down stuff, and that's gonna be a lot of fun. The idea is that these players [are] building these forts and all of the sudden these other guys coming in lighting it on fire and waiting till they come out of the fortress ... is awesome."

A day and night cycle will also affect H1Z1, whose name brings to mind the real-life H1N1 swine flu virus.

"Oh God yeah," Smedley said when asked about day and night, "but in this game it matters a lot more than in others because it gets really dark at night and you need to have a torch and you will be ganked by other players, zombies. So we [have] vehicles in here. We can actually have aircraft if we want. Our goal is to build out this entire massive massive world that is this apocalypse of the United States."

Read more at the link above. 

The live chat is supposed to be going on as of this writing, but the L33T Lounge Live site is timing out. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I wish them the best, but I've had my fill of the zombie theme in games, tv, movies, etc to the point that I just have no interest in it anymore. 
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    From what I just read it sounds exactly like DayZ and that game was as frustrating as hell to play... if that's the case, no thanks.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Nah, they couldn't be working anything as dull or past-its-time like a zombie game.  Even if it was F2P, it would have trouble succeeding at interesting players.
  • RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115

Just watched the twitch stream .

Pass.

This could end up being very interesting.

• xht8311xht8311 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Sorta was interested in H1Z1 reading the article, but clicked the link to the "Game Talk Live" site and saw the two lamers with crApples... uh I must have stumbled on to the wrong website, guess I'll pass too.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Yah and now every time I see the name I do think of H1N1... Great name ya'll got there Sony. The swine flue zombie game :)

Smile

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Rorhc

Pass.

Thanks for your reasoning and logic and the thoughts behind that choice.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by DMKano

"H1Z1 is an MMO that allows players to take on the role of an apocalypse survivor who is in a world that is filled with zombies," 

Holy crap talk about a new concept - I'm glad there are still Dev studios that are thinking outside the box!

/yes that was sarcasm - relax

Yep, ANOTHER zombie game.

ANOTHER video game.

ANOTHER something.

Why complain about more things? 

more is good.

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Rorhc

Pass.

Thanks for your reasoning and logic and the thoughts behind that choice.

My opinion , don't owe you or anyone else a reason.

This could end up being very interesting.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    I am onboard with SOEs new direction for games, and that their engine is turning out pretty great...will keep an eye on this.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

I  have played DayZ, I have experienced the emotional roller coaster one receives while playing. Combine that with a professional developer like SOE - I think we are in for a real treat.

In all honesty DayZ sucks as a game. The thing that grabs one though is the unpredictability of what's about to happen.

I've stabbed in the back, I've stabbed others in the back, I've setup scenarios to ultimately stab the others in the back, I've hunted players down, I've made friends, been on edge, been hunted, helped others, been helped, became excited over finding a can of pop, a gun, an axe, a bookbag, found myself lost, running, killed in cold blood, lied to people to get them to run into bandits, the list just goes on and on really.

Other games just don't have this unpredictablity, the kind that gets your heart pounding.

If H1Z1 can grab that and be a polished game - oh man we are in for some fun.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

." But here is something your gonna be able to do that you can't do in these other games: Light things on fire. We are in the middle of putting that in so you are gonna be able to burn down trees, burn down stuff, and that's gonna be a lot of fun. The idea is that these players [are] building these forts and all of the sudden these other guys coming in lighting it on fire and waiting till they come out of the fortress ... is awesome."

Shadowbane on steroids?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

What I don't understand is why people aren't at least considering the possibilities of the sandbox aspects here with triple a production behind it.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

Yeah it can be a nice destructive sandbox, that DayZ on roids. I can see player communities thriving, evolving, dying...maybe we can even get some of that intrigue similar to the communities in Eve on a smaller scale...survivor stories and tales of communities.

It will probably be pure chaos at first but over time it will be a fantastic, and hopefully documented, rise of some stable player villages or communities. Perfect setting for that tale.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Too bad is FPS only; I would like to have seen a 3rd person option.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    But what's really important is that I APPROVE of this game. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Did they say anything about a release date?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think first person is important for a game like this if they really want to immerse you and add to that fear level. Optional third person just means you're forced to use it or you can't watch your back.

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Distopia
    What I don't understand is why people aren't at least considering the possibilities of the sandbox aspects here with triple a production behind it.

I'm not sure either. Maybe it's hipster to hate on post apoc now? It's funny the people complaining about the setting don't seem to have a problem with the zillionth fantasy themepark that's just released or the sci-fantasy set to roll out just around the corner.

Taken from Massively dot com:

"Is SOE's new game a zombie MMO? Does it feature Star Wars: Galaxies' mechanics? Are players going to complain about zombies being cliche and overused before logging in to their cliche and overused fantasy MMO of choice?"

Well of course. And specially here. Don't you get cred for hating games here?

I just think it's another game that I will be able to play thanks to SOE all pass. And that in my book is good.

Originally posted by Saio3

I'm not sure either. Maybe it's hipster to hate on post apoc now? It's funny the people complaining about the setting don't seem to have a problem with the zillionth fantasy themepark that's just released or the sci-fantasy set to roll out just around the corner.

"Is SOE's new game a zombie MMO? Does it feature Star Wars: Galaxies' mechanics? Are players going to complain about zombies being cliche and overused before logging in to their cliche and overused fantasy MMO of choice?"

I just think it's another game that I will be able to play thanks to SOE all pass. And that in my book is good.

AHHAHA, so true

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Saio3

You, sir, have won the internet. You may now have a cupcake.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I don't get it. I'm just gonna wait for more info. Glad its not stylized at least :)

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Hmm if its open world gank for all then i will have to pass. I had my fill of that gameplay with Day Z and Darkfall.

I wish someday a company makes an open world sandbox game without forcing open pvp on players. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Hmm if its open world gank for all then i will have to pass. I had my fill of that gameplay with Day Z and Darkfall.

I wish someday a company makes an open world sandbox game without forcing open pvp on players. 

"yes there will be multiple servers with very different rule sets" - Smedley.

You never know.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

"yes there will be multiple servers with very different rule sets" - Smedley.

You never know.

Yeah i read it on another topic.

This is a good news.