Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buy one Get one Free

2»

Comments

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Absolutely nothing funny for me.  I put in CC information; they said I'd be billed for the next installment as of May 4th; and I've had no charges, etc. at all.  I understand that things could be more complex if, for example, you used gamecards as a payment method.  I'm not sure that you can pre-authorize charges on them.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Dear god, how many more threads about this?   In mmorpgs with a sub, 9 times out of 10 you need to register your payment method to access the 30 free days.  That's REGISTER, not PAY for.  You can insta-cancel your subscription payment method after that and you still get the 30 days

Nobody is disputing how common the payment registration is.

What is absurd is the full charge being done (and later charged back) - there is ZERO reason to do this, other than hit players with possible overdraft fees.

From Zenimax:  "...there is an authorization check performed to ensure the payment method is valid. You may see a temporary account authorization hold put on funds in your account while the verification completes. Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank."

Nothing really to get that bothered about.

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    They put a hold on the 14.99 for me, and It was never taken, I subbed on Sunday so, I guess no problems here.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

The "charge" on my account was made on 4/5 and is still pending.  Normally it would have already cleared and would have posted.  Considering it takes 3-5 business days for a charge (or hold as it is in this case) to be removed/dropped off, I'm still good.  The only annoyance is that the money being held is inaccessible (since it is a hold).  I'm definitely glad I opted for a month to month instead of one of the other packages.  I wouldn't be so understanding.

I'm not sweating it though.  I knew on Saturday what the problem was.  If it moves to posted though, then I'll have a talk with ZO.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Just helping that people understand the issue is fixed. I signed on on 4/6 for a 6 month.........my cc shows nothing, sorry about those that had problems, but apparently it is no long an issue
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by cura
    Dear god, how many more threads about this?   In mmorpgs with a sub, 9 times out of 10 you need to register your payment method to access the 30 free days.  That's REGISTER, not PAY for.  You can insta-cancel your subscription payment method after that and you still get the 30 days

Nobody is disputing how common the payment registration is.

What is absurd is the full charge being done (and later charged back) - there is ZERO reason to do this, other than hit players with possible overdraft fees.

From Zenimax:  "...there is an authorization check performed to ensure the payment method is valid. You may see a temporary account authorization hold put on funds in your account while the verification completes. Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank."

Nothing really to get that bothered about.

Just courious, why they need to authorize credit card month before first payment?

You see the part where it says "to see if the payment method is valid"?  That bit, yes.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Ikeda

DMK,

Seriously, stop trolling the game.

The charge occurred in LIMITED quatities.  It was RESOLVED.  AND posted by Zenimax.

The least you could do on the forums is be honest with people.  Yes it did happen to a COUPLE of people.  But has since been resolved.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67461/bank-account-being-charged/p1

people are still getting charged so obviously it is not completely fixed. 

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

The "charge" on my account was made on 4/5 and is still pending.  Normally it would have already cleared and would have posted.  Considering it takes 3-5 business days for a charge (or hold as it is in this case) to be removed/dropped off, I'm still good.  The only annoyance is that the money being held is inaccessible (since it is a hold).  I'm definitely glad I opted for a month to month instead of one of the other packages.  I wouldn't be so understanding.

I'm not sweating it though.  I knew on Saturday what the problem was.  If it moves to posted though, then I'll have a talk with ZO.

I have had on occasion these "just checking if this is for realz" charges hang around until the end of the billing cycle. But usually it's for a buck or even a cent, not the full amount.

• BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

I'm still concerned about getting charged for a month.

Apparently the TOS says you have to cancel 30 days before the next billing cycle?

Here is what I pulled from the website.  With a credit card there is no 30 day requirement.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For credit cards, debit cards and PayPal there is no charge made until after your included 30 days of game time has expired. For these payment methods, there is an authorization check performed to ensure the payment method is valid. You may see a temporary account authorization hold put on funds in your account while the verification completes. Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. The duration of this hold can vary from bank to bank.

Please note – an Authorization Hold is not a charge to your account. It is a routine temporary hold to help protect our community from acts of fraud.

Authorization Check is Immediate

• Visa Credit Card
    • MasterCard Credit
    • Paypal
    • Prepaid Credit Cards
    • (American Express CC & Amex Prepaid can take 3-7 days)
    • Debit Cards

Players using Webmoney, ideal, PaySafeCard, or Giropay to set up their subscription plan will see the entire charge applied against their account immediately and the acquired game time will be activated after the initial 30 Days of free game time has run out.

Billed/Applied immediately

• Webmoney
    • Ideal
    • PaySafeCard
    • Giropay
    • Gametime Cards
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by ohioastro

Here is what I pulled from the website.  With a credit card there is no 30 day requirement.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For credit cards, debit cards and PayPal there is no charge made until after your included 30 days of game time has expired. For these payment methods, there is an authorization check performed to ensure the payment method is valid. You may see a temporary account authorization hold put on funds in your account while the verification completes. Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. The duration of this hold can vary from bank to bank.

Please note – an Authorization Hold is not a charge to your account. It is a routine temporary hold to help protect our community from acts of fraud.

Authorization Check is Immediate

• Visa Credit Card
    • MasterCard Credit
    • Paypal
    • Prepaid Credit Cards
    • (American Express CC & Amex Prepaid can take 3-7 days)
    • Debit Cards

That so called "authorization hold" of $14.99 sat in my pending transactions til today and now has moved over to my withdrawals list as a charge to my account. Now I am waiting for a reply from Bethseda.

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169

How anyone can sit here and defend ZOS regarding their apparently F-d up billing system is beyond fanboism...

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

It's rather funny that their mistakes benefit them and their TOS allows them to take that money if you do not cancel and that cancellation is only valid if done before 30 days to the expiry of the subscription so in any case the minute your activated you are already too late to cancel . They will get that $14.99 no matter how you look at it.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Ikeda

DMK,

Seriously, stop trolling the game.

The charge occurred in LIMITED quatities.  It was RESOLVED.  AND posted by Zenimax.

The least you could do on the forums is be honest with people.  Yes it did happen to a COUPLE of people.  But has since been resolved.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67461/bank-account-being-charged/p1

I was charged for the full amount.

My entire guild was charged for the full amount.

Maybe it is fixed now - I can only speak from my experience.

There are also folks on reddit who still claim that it is NOT fixed - they are still charging a full amount.

So yeah I am not going to believe it just yet.

Couple of people - just WRONG - I know for a fact that my entire guild was charged.

I just checked my statement..and wasn't charged. But I did use paypal ....not direct credit line.

So maybe set up a payment with paypal services???

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by DKNS

You don't have to buy a month to play the free month. Why are people still confused on this? It's just an authorisation check.

Use Paypal as your billing information and the sub fee they cut for auth will be refunded back quickly.

Authorization check on a CC can be done without taking out ANY funds.

Zenimax doesn't do this.

They don't even put a hold on some tiny amount and then put it back.

No they  *charge for the full amount* and then charge back the full amount for whatever package you select. If you select a year you will see a charge for $120+tax immediately. You can look at your CC statement and its is a real charge.

No other MMORPG I've played has ever charged me the full amount, its beyond silly IMO.

Verification without any funds taken out - common.

Verification by taking out a hold on a few cents - common.

Charging for a full package amount and then doing a full charge back - just dumb.

My opinion.

thats a serious reason to avoid this game ...

...if you're on a campaign against it, and spend a lot of effort on message boards trashing it.  For anyone else, this just comes across as a sort of odd and misinformed vendetta.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by loulaki
    Originally posted by DKNS

You don't have to buy a month to play the free month. Why are people still confused on this? It's just an authorisation check.

Use Paypal as your billing information and the sub fee they cut for auth will be refunded back quickly.

Authorization check on a CC can be done without taking out ANY funds.

Zenimax doesn't do this.

They don't even put a hold on some tiny amount and then put it back.

No they  *charge for the full amount* and then charge back the full amount for whatever package you select. If you select a year you will see a charge for $120+tax immediately. You can look at your CC statement and its is a real charge.

No other MMORPG I've played has ever charged me the full amount, its beyond silly IMO.

Verification without any funds taken out - common.

Verification by taking out a hold on a few cents - common.

Charging for a full package amount and then doing a full charge back - just dumb.

My opinion.

thats a serious reason to avoid this game ...

This EULA is bizarre. image

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

i used a cc and was not charged. in fact my wife and i both did. so its not happening to everyone. i did it on sunday. the first day u actually had to do it.