Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new innovation ... GW2 worlds don't need to be "persistent" anymore!

13»

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Karteli

Sounds like just a fancy way of saying server merge, without actually saying that.

[...]

I would have just perferred a merge though, for this or any game really.  Or mandatory free transfers prior to server closure.  I like knowing that the people I game with will always be in the same game world as me.  WoW's cross realm zone maps killed immersion for me, as example.

Merging complete worlds wouldn't have solved the problem though. That adresses problems with population, but what's needed in GW2 is a solution for a problem of distribution.

There may not be enough people to fill a map in mid-level range for each world, but there are enough for the high level maps. Merging would only exacerbate the overflow problem for those. On top of that, the structure of servers/worlds for GW2 is different than for example WoWs. It is not 1 server = 1 world. World maps are relatively freely distributed across the available server hardware. The seperation into worlds is entirely artificial, to provide a basic structure for players.  In a way, you can't merge what wasn't seperated to begin with.

No need to a massive merger, but at least one to get the high level areas feeling populated.  The lower zones can still be sparse, as with WoW lower zones before their cross-realm outside zones.  Sparse lower zones isn't so bad, as long as the public quests are adjusted.

I guess WoW had a leg up there though, since PVP could happen in lower level zones, which would attract high levels to defend, then opposing high levels to offend.  So there was a reason to return.  GW2 doesn't have those features :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Karteli

I guess WoW had a leg up there though, since PVP could happen in lower level zones, which would attract high levels to defend, then opposing high levels to offend.  So there was a reason to return.  GW2 doesn't have those features :(

GW2 has World bosses that attract hordes and hordes of high level players to lower zones.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders