Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: H1Z1 Trademarked by Sony, Set to Be Revealed Today

2»

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Foomerang

You'll have to forgive my skepticism. Spiritual successor to swg? By smedley? Yeah.

Would it really be by Smed though:P? I doubt he really jumps in the trenches in this day and age. It's not like SOE is a stranger to decent game design they just have a problem maintaining it (well they did with some titles). I'd imagine this is using the Forgelight engine as well, would be interesting to see a SWG like with a decent engine behind it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Dewguy79
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by SBFord
    I'm going to speculate that "H1Z1" is a reference to a scorecard: Humans - 1, Zombies - 1. :D

Sounds like a strain of avian flu that caused zombie...ism. Surely it's not that though, that would be...Heh.

Feel like if this is true they are about 10 years too late to the zombie fad.

Well by the time Sony starts making money again and they actually are able to work on a new game beside EQN  maybe the zombie fad will be back.

Apparently you didn't read the very short tweet where Smedley said they already are working on it and the article saying it will be playable in the near future. So I guess they must be making money. 

Apparently you haven't learned from Smeds prior tweets, comments and actions.  Not sure how anyone takes what he says as the truth.  I on the other like to deal in facts i.e Sony projecting a $1.1 billion loss (not making money losing money), selling divisions and closing mmos.  So what happened to Smeds plan to save vanguard?  Oh looks like that didn't work like he said.  You keep holding tight what smed says I deal with facts.  

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUS300650745820140206?irpc=932

That article is about Sony and their PC business. Those are not part of the MMO/gaming part of the company. Sony does a lot of things and they make a ton off the PS3/PS4/gaming branch of the company. The article was pretty clear.

Smedley DID save Vanguard. It should have went under YEARS ago. I'm surprised that it lasted this long and I really liked the game. Eventually business decisions have to win out.

Why do so many people forget that this is a business and not a warm-fuzzy charity? Sony has to make money. They have a legal responsibility to their share holders to do so. They can't take losses on games just because a few people will get upset if it closes.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Zombie games only really work when the danger is immediate, the risk is hair-raising, and the fear is palpable.

Same is true for zombie movies and TV.

Once the zombies get to "farm mode" where they are no longer really that much of a threat, the zombies just become a backdrop for the other problems faced by say food scarcity or disease or hostile humans etc.

Combining RPG mechanics that make you a really proficient zombie slayer, safe houses to store gear and/or more softcore penalties for death etc. really removes the immediate danger, risk, and fear.

If you are going to make a game more focused on the PvP aspect (survivors versus other survivors) there are much better genres to paint as a backdrop than zombies.

This is really key, the ZOmbies in most of these games serve as nothing but fodder, they need to be  a real danger otherwise they're pointlessly used.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Foomerang You'll have to forgive my skepticism. Spiritual successor to swg? By smedley? Yeah.
    Would it really be by Smed though:P? I doubt he really jumps in the trenches in this day and age. It's not like SOE is a stranger to decent game design they just have a problem maintaining it (well they did with some titles). I'd imagine this is using the Forgelight engine as well, would be interesting to see a SWG like with a decent engine behind it.

Well he is the one who first claimed the swg stuff so if he is going to speak for this game, I'm not going to assume he is not involved. I will say that if it is hyper stylized like their other recent works, that will be an almsot immediate dismissal for me.
  • n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Zombies will always be interesting to me, because I can't think of another mass quantity foe that mindlessly sends hordes of opposition your way. The threat is strictly determined by factors including, but not limited to your own personal supplies, their numbers, your physical location and your sanity.

I remember "Neverwinter Nights", there was a district full of zombies in Neverwinter. That was exceptionally fun, and more or less a newbie area until you ran into a boss. Zombies better represent dystopia than any other setting imo. Fallout is more like a power fantasy where you cannot lose after a certain point. Survival horror was at it's best with Zombies, major exceptions being Silent Hill but quite frankly... hell on earth is a pretty fresh topic in survival games even to this day.

All my positive reception to this been said, I am extremely skeptical. Are we gona have campfires and dancers and musicians in the middle of a big field, as well as like a "perimeter defense class" to make sure the fighters in the group are well alerted of incoming threats? Are we going to go back to refuge, and have "AT-ST Equivalent" guard dogs welcoming us back? Are we going to be able to tame "Rancor" equivalents? Will missions be supply runs instead of hive busts? Will there be "Jedi equivalents"?

Outlaws, Bounty Hunters, Criminals, one faction hilariously outgunning another one (Great examples of this have yet to come in The Walking Dead, but they will), "Starports" in the form of boat docks going from mainland to islands?

Look man, I need a game with all that - because SWG had it. Even if I didn't use all of it myself, I was always around it. One of my favorite gaming moments ever was me attempting to take down a Jedi with an ambush group of bounty hunters and getting our ASSES kicked. It was so thrilling to fight something like that, a player controlled boss character basically.

You know what to do guys, do it.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    if this is the "ode to SWG" that Smed was talking about it could be My little ponies Online and id be interested
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Isn't the Zombie fad over? Meh.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    if this is the "ode to SWG" that Smed was talking about it could be My little ponies Online and id be interested

I would play MLP. Seriously. lol

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by falc0n
    Is this the spirtual successor to swg?

The Repopulation is...

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    I'm going to speculate that "H1Z1" is a reference to a scorecard: Humans - 1, Zombies - 1. :D

Sounds like a strain of avian flu that caused zombie...ism. Surely it's not that though, that would be...Heh.

Feel like if this is true they are about 10 years too late to the zombie fad.

Well by the time Sony starts making money again and they actually are able to work on a new game beside EQN  maybe the zombie fad will be back.

Apparently you didn't read the very short tweet where Smedley said they already are working on it and the article saying it will be playable in the near future. So I guess they must be making money. 

Apparently you haven't learned from Smeds prior tweets, comments and actions.  Not sure how anyone takes what he says as the truth.  I on the other like to deal in facts i.e Sony projecting a $1.1 billion loss (not making money losing money), selling divisions and closing mmos.  So what happened to Smeds plan to save vanguard?  Oh looks like that didn't work like he said.  You keep holding tight what smed says I deal with facts.  

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUS300650745820140206?irpc=932

Every publisher has its own hate club on this site and I have no interest in joining yours. Your words were SOE isn't working on anything but eqn because they aren't making money, the article and tweet says they are working on another game besides eqn, so apparently they have enough money. I guess we will see when 5 o'clock PST rolls around won't we.

i hope if its a Zombie survival Horror game Zombies are actually a threat unlike games like DayZ where the game is just a deathmatch ... with zombies scattered around.

but i do remember Smed comparing the new game to Revolution the TV show centered around a post apocalyptic theme. So i am really hoping this H1Z1 is SWG meets fallout.

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274

No its a reference to the swine flu, H1N1, and Z being zombies instead.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

At least this will be done before DayZ Standalone. (which imho will never get finished because of the horrible engine but that's besides the point).

A DayZ made in the Planetside 2 Engine? Count me in.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well on RUST they removed zombies, why they still focus on zombies ? outside US zombies are boring ...

even TheDivision doesnt have zombies just infected/sick npcs ...

from what i read on reddit, this game has nothing in common with SWG. SWG was about building a community together and working with others inside that community.

H1Z1 sounds like another Dayz clone where you will be more inclined to kill a community member than work with them.