Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some quick questions...

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Hi guys I am currently level 13, and I got some questions:

What is most important? Levels or sky shards? Levels gains skill points and +10 stat, but you can get alot of skillpoints by gaining sky shards relatively fast.

How important is gear? Etc. in AvA A level 13 upscaled to 50, and a 31 upscaled to 50. Are they even, or are the level 31 one a little better because he gets upscale + have better gear than me?

the blacksmith stuff you can create... Will endgame gear look exactly like the first level 1 gear that you crafted?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

What is most important? Levels or sky shards? Levels gains skill points and +10 stat, but you can get alot of skillpoints by gaining sky shards relatively fast.

How important is gear? Etc. in AvA A level 13 upscaled to 50, and a 31 upscaled to 50. Are they even, or are the level 31 one a little better because he gets upscale + have better gear than me?

the blacksmith stuff you can create... Will endgame gear look exactly like the first level 1 gear that you crafted?

Levels and Skyshards are both important. The game is balanced around characters obtaining them both.. so you want both, always. There's also a ton of skill points awarded for certain quests and for completing the group dungeons.

Gear isn't so important in the up scaling process, but the skill points are. The skills themselves won't be more powerful for a level 31 vs a level 10... but a level 31 will have MORE skills.. because they have used more skill points to unlock them. Up scaled PvPers are still competitive.. but higher level characters have a sight advantage. Just put up with it.. you'll be top level before you know it and then it won't matter.

There are unique items in the game so, no, not all endgame gear looks like crafted gear. Level 10 gear doesn't look like level 1 gear. Level 20 gear doesn't look like level 10 gear.. and so on. The material used also affects the appearance, not just the style.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Sky shards and quality per level are most important.

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Pretty solid answers above. I'll just add google ESO skyshard locations. I'd give you the link, but I'm at work and don't have it. There are few sites out there that will show the exact location of each Skyshard by zone, using maps and screenshots. Make sure you explore everywhere in the zone you are in. You are bound to run into quests, public dungeons, instanced dungeons, special crafting stations and more that neither the alliance quest, nor your personal story will lead you too.
  • jahnplayjahnplay Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I have the SkyShard Add-on to tell me where they are located, I usually quest and when I'm around a SkyShard I just go pick it up and continue questing.
    LFG? Join our GoodGamer LFG Finder web portal today! Free Android app also available.
    Sorrowsnow77 Blog
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

So when Im 50 and have some good end gear, I still have a hard time killing a level 31? Gear does not matter at all?

So leveling and gear is just as worthless as in GW2 RvR?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

At the start skillpoints (and therefore skyshards) are more important. By the time you hit your 30's you will find that you have more skills than hotbar space and levels are far far more important.

Gear is pretty important, and while lvl 13 vs lvl 50 gear is quite a gap, closer level differentials aren't as severe as in other games.

No gear starts to look much much better, more detailed, colorful and more interesting shapes as you level higher.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    If you click through the various metal you can see that the higher level the metal the 'cooler' stuff looks. or go to the esohead crafting section and start at iron and click through the higher level metals.
    Originally posted by Rusque

At the start skillpoints (and therefore skyshards) are more important. By the time you hit your 30's you will find that you have more skills than hotbar space and levels are far far more important.

Gear is pretty important, and while lvl 13 vs lvl 50 gear is quite a gap, closer level differentials aren't as severe as in other games.

No gear starts to look much much better, more detailed, colorful and more interesting shapes as you level higher.

Well you seem to forget there's passive abilities.

In GW2 theres also gear difference level 1 vs 80, but stats doesn't really matter like in WoW.

How about this? Is it more like WoW regarding gear or GW2?

Well you seem to forget there's passive abilities.

In GW2 theres also gear difference level 1 vs 80, but stats doesn't really matter like in WoW.

How about this? Is it more like WoW regarding gear or GW2?

I didn't forget about passives. I'm level 37 have almost all my armor passives, racial passives, class and weapon passives filled out how I want them as well as woodworking and enchanting.

Each dungeon gives you 1 skill points, main quest storyline completions give you 1 skill points, leveling up gives you 1 skill point, 3 skyshards give you 1 skill point. It's a lot of skill points. So when you have few of them they matter a lot, but as you level you get to a point where you have points that you don't "need" other than to create additional builds.

I'd say it's closer to GW2 where how you play matters more than the gear you have. Whereas in WoW, a fresh 90 in blues will get creamed by a maxed geared pvper.

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    game is designed in a way that every thing is important just Enjoy all the content !

I'd say it's closer to GW2 where how you play matters more than the gear you have. Whereas in WoW, a fresh 90 in blues will get creamed by a maxed geared pvper.

Wow bad news for me :(

I hated GW2 for having horizontal gear progression... Now I pay a monthly fee to have horizontal gear progression...

I hated GW2 for having horizontal gear progression... Now I pay a monthly fee to have horizontal gear progression...

You asked me a comparative question, whether it was more like GW2 or more like WoW. So I gave you an answer based on that benchmark, I didn't say it had horizontal gear progression. It is vertical, it's just squished vertical. As in the gap between tiers of gear is much smaller than in a game like WoW so that how you play holds more value than having the best gear.

To put it more clearly:

If you have a level 13 green item and a level 13 blue item, the blue item will have higher damage, and increased attribute levels. So instead of 4% crit on a precise attribute weapon, you'd have 6%.

Then you take that and move onto a purple or gold weapon and everything is increased further. But not to the point where it's like WoW.

GW2 is a hard stop horizontal progression. You simply don't have anywhere to go. ESO is about incremental improvements, not leaps.

Hmm... GW2 has vertical progression, it's just easy to obtain the top. The horizontal talk was just marketing hype...

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

An interesting topic and I must admit that I haven't thought of it so far. However, I doubt that level and quality of gear only has got a low impact in AvA.

If I understood you right, you are upscaled to level 50 when entering Cyrodil. Gear stats are also upscaled based upon the quality/level of the gear. This means that attribute and stat caps of a level 50 character apply. While it is easy to hit the soft cap for attibutes and attribute aligned regen rates, it is far more difficult to hit caps for armor or magic resistance. In the end, level 10 player equipped with random green gear is nothing but a level 50 in random green gear.

Now, in PvE there is a clear difference between players equipped with random green gear and those who actually use crafted gear that comes with player crafted glyphs. The difference enables the player with crafted gear to easily kill groups of monsters while the player with random green gear will have a pretty hard time and/or will simply die when engaging a group of monsters.

The influence of gear becomes even stronger when counting in the bonus of set items. The bonus of a set scales with the level and quality of the gear. A player equipped with two 3-part sets benefits of 2 bonuses. When for example combining a Eyes of Mara set with a Torug's Pact set (3-part), I will be granted 80 additional magic resistance and 100 additional armor. To give you a comparison: 100 armor equates to a VR10 white heavy armor waist piece. It is not a huge difference but I believe that getting proper equipment will make things a lot easier in AvA, especially in 1 vs 1 situations.

Originally posted by Asariasha

An interesting topic and I must admit that I haven't thought of it so far. However, I doubt that level and quality of gear only has got a low impact in AvA.

If I understood you right, you are upscaled to level 50 when entering Cyrodil. Gear stats are also upscaled based upon the quality/level of the gear. This means that attribute and stat caps of a level 50 character apply. While it is easy to hit the soft cap for attibutes and attribute aligned regen rates, it is far more difficult to hit caps for armor or magic resistance. In the end, level 10 player equipped with random green gear is nothing but a level 50 in random green gear.

Now, in PvE there is a clear difference between players equipped with random green gear and those who actually use crafted gear that comes with player crafted glyphs. The difference enables the player with crafted gear to easily kill groups of monsters while the player with random green gear will have a pretty hard time and/or will simply die when engaging a group of monsters.

The influence of gear becomes even stronger when counting in the bonus of set items. The bonus of a set scales with the level and quality of the gear. A player equipped with two 3-part sets benefits of 2 bonuses. When for example combining a Eyes of Mara set with a Torug's Pact set (3-part), I will be granted 80 additional magic resistance and 100 additional armor. To give you a comparison: 100 armor equates to a VR10 white heavy armor waist piece. It is not a huge difference but I believe that getting proper equipment will make things a lot easier in AvA, especially in 1 vs 1 situations.

Everything you just said was wrong there. Seriously, I'm not trying to flame you.. but that is all incorrect and you've made a lot of assumptions that aren't true and missed out on a lot of details because you don't know the facts. First point being.. white crafted gear is not as strong as looted green gear of the same level... and I challenge any person to be able to craft a full set of green gear with all the glyphs they want while levelling up without some serious time spent into farming the materials and/or gold. By the time you could afford to make the set you'd have outleveled it from all the farming you had to do.

Second, you are assuming you know how the up scaling works. You don't.. there's a ton of hidden stats in this game. None of us know exactly how it works.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Early on (lvls 1-25-ish) Skyshards / Skillpoints are more important.

After that, Lvls are more important.

Gear isn't a huge deal at the lower lvls, and you lvl so quickly that it mostly becomes obsolete before you get much use out of it. However, once you get to the later lvls it starts to make a huge difference. Some of the set bonus' are also particularly good. As for how this scales in AvA, it's not unlike what you saw in GW2. An upscaled lowbie can still do alright if they play smart. However they will still be at a 1-1 disadvantage against a fully geared (or veteran rank) 50. I'd say it's about the equivelant of comparing an upscaled to a lvl 80 exotic (if you ever played that game). This does not account for passive traits, though, which make a huge difference.

- No, Crafted armor changes appearance depending on the lvl of the gear. Lvl 1 light armor does not look the same as lvl 50, even if crafted in the same racial style.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

A 31 and 13 in PVP can be similar or vastly different.  Different skills are unlocked but let's presume they have the exact same skills.  Level 13 meh.... Level 50 probably has 2-3 full Set bonuses, and some of them are really good.

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafted-item-sets-eso/

I think this will help you see that gear may not be horizontal at end game but more like a search for set items... these are craftable but have a research prerequisite that not everyone will reach.  A lot of them are in higher level zones and really help a build shine.  Also if your stats are pushed beyond the leveled stats of the 13 you will see returns.  This doesn't mean a level 13 can't kill you, it just means if you don't mess up you will destroy them.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Asariasha

Everything you just said was wrong there. Seriously, I'm not trying to flame you.. but that is all incorrect and you've made a lot of assumptions that aren't true and missed out on a lot of details because you don't know the facts. First point being.. white crafted gear is not as strong as looted green gear of the same level... and I challenge any person to be able to craft a full set of green gear with all the glyphs they want while levelling up without some serious time spent into farming the materials and/or gold. By the time you could afford to make the set you'd have outleveled it from all the farming you had to do.

Second, you are assuming you know how the up scaling works. You don't.. there's a ton of hidden stats in this game. None of us know exactly how it works.

Please read again. Maybe you got me wrong. I clearly said that I do not know how the upscaling process works. I simply assume that a character including the stats from items is taken and then pushed to level 50 stats with stats from level 50 items that correspond to what the player has equipped.

And to be honest. Getting mats to craft set gear is an easy thing. Glyphs are a bit different, but not as hard as you said. My toon runs around with crafted green / blue gear with a mix of dropped and player made glyphs. I reequip my toon every 4-6 levels and still have tons of raw materials and upgrade mats. The key is joining one or more huge trading guilds and gathering stuff while you quest.

Also, I never said that it is mandatory to always craft new gear. I simply say that a player with crafted gear, preferably crafted set gear, is stronger than a player with random green gear. Thats a hard fact and not an assumption. Furthermore I think that this equipment difference is ported to AvA. At least it feels this way when I run around in Cyrodil.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Gilllean
    game is designed in a way that every thing is important just Enjoy all the content !

That's true, If you want to enjoy the complete game focus on all things it offers up to 50. That means exploration (explore the whole map do all the dolmen do all worldbosses open the treasure's u find), then go for some crafting, try to do all doungens on the map aswell for skyshards and keep questing. I think a fair mix of all will make you enjoy it far more then just doing quests or just doing skyshards. But this you will find out yourself fast.

Please dont do the mistake and just farm as fast you can to get 50, thats just stupid IMO.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

In AvA gear pre-50 doesn't matter, just make sure there is a piece in every slot, the up-scale will normalise all stats to 50. Though there is a massive difference between up-scaled 50 gear and VR gear.

Veteran Ranked players are significantly stronger than anyone 50 or up-scaled to 50. It has got to the point now where some campaigns aren't worth participating in until you get into the Veteran Ranks.

In PvE, gear is pretty important, as it should be, but you don't need more than greens to quest in and you only need to upgrade once every five levels or so.