Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Mankini-gate and More

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

When I was considering the various topics I could cover for this week’s The Secret World column I was faced with so many options I really didn’t know where to start. First Joel announces new content, then there was Mankini-gate, and finally there has been ARG activity. How could I pick just one? I couldn’t. So we’re breaking it down into four parts. 

Read more of Shannon Doyle's The Secret World: Mankini-gate and More.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Edit; nvm.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I never cared for outfits like that mankini pictured in games. I get that they're fun, but people don't know when a joke goes from funny, to boring, to outdated, to dead horse, to "just stop it already" (which I know for some people is the point . . . to aggravate others).

That being said there's a way to engage the idea of skimpy non-effective armor in a much more awesome manner. Concept artist who did Sai Sahan in ESO said that she created his armor set as a response to the usual skimpy female armor and I have to say, he looks badass:

http://artintheart.tumblr.com/post/81697896914/so-this-dude-is-sai-sahan-go-find-him-in-the-eso

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    as usual pure brilliance! TSW -rocks mmos!
  • anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I can relate to the outrage. Its one thing to make an April Fools Day joke with some fake screens & announcement but something different to actually make it available to buy in the game store, lure interested players to spend money on ingame currency (which they probably would have not) and then take said item away and reimbuse in ingame currency which they might not have any use at that moment.
  • xeraxxerax Member UncommonPosts: 74

That is kind crappy what about people who bought the in game currency to buy the mankini do they get a $ refund?

Yes it was a probably a stupid idea to put it in the game, but once you have its time to let everyone get it our there system until nobody wears it any more.

BTW next year Tribal tattoo and c*ck sheaths?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Guess still 7 buttons silly limit? Have not checked for months now if they added at least double that to remove button mashing from game. Otherwise loved it despite zillion bugs and other problems at start.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

The mankini incident is classic Funcom.  Don't think for a second that they're unaware that lots of people may have bought currency for the sole purpose of getting the mankini.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out that AOL is running their billing/marketing departments.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    people fell for the April Fools joke and are now mad because they weren't allowed to keep the joke item. Priceless :-D
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Hey everybody we are going to try and make non gender biased clothing!

Just kidding! We are still a bunch of hyper masculine homophobes =D

April fools!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Funcom are having a laugh at their customers' expense (quite literally) - I don't think this joke was intended for 'wise players' because it took too much time and effort for wise players to appreciate it (when the money could have been used for better things).

The best response to something like this is to cancel your account, not pay the company any more money, and don't write any comments on forums or complain.

Walk away and let Funcom wither.

• Ryha2000Ryha2000 Member Posts: 4

Here is a link to the Official post on the Secret World message board. It turns out that it was not a legal matter but direct sexism on the part of FunCom management and not the games Devs:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=78597&page=32

Post #319 is the game director relaying what the management said.

This is an important issue and though the 'mankini' is trivial blatant sexism by a major game company is not. Take the time to read the thread and give your opinion.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Funcom are having a laugh at their customers' expense (quite literally) - I don't think this joke was intended for 'wise players' because it took too much time and effort for wise players to appreciate it (when the money could have been used for better things).

The best response to something like this is to cancel your account, not pay the company any more money, and don't write any comments on forums or complain.

Walk away and let Funcom wither.

I second this.  I also want to start a vote to have Mors.Magne's name honorarily etched into the Funcom tombstone- slain by this man's wisdom.  These are some wise words, indeed...

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• JomsvikingJomsviking Member Posts: 32

Let's be real here folks - pulling an item that people paid for is dumb, Pulling only the Mankini and not the wetsuit was dumb, yes everything about this episode was dumb. HOWEVER.....the combat gear bought with the tokens from the Flappy fight are identical for both male and Female toons. The latest outfits introduced to the shop are identical for male and female toons - Psyco Unbound, Dapper Buzz, Plague Doctor, tuxedo suits and more. TSW has  a dev team and Game Director who will battle management for what's right. The reason Mankini-gate is an issue is because it seems like a step back and was poorly handled.

The simple fact is that Funcom and TSW are now much better in this regard that the vast majority of the industry. If Funcom gets driven out of business over this the lesson gaming corporations will get is it's best to stick to the chain mail bikinis on 36GGGGG chested stripper models so the sexism and bias is so blatant that no one seems to notice.

So, Shannon, and MJ Guthrie and all the others writing on this - how about skipping the rabid hyperbole and present more objectivity.