Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Dark Souls II: Taking the PC Version for a Spin

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dark Souls 2 is a resoundingly good RPG, if our official review is anything to go by. But the original Dark Souls’ PC edition was, let’s face it, an abhorrent nightmare of a port. The studio, From Software, admittedly said (in so many words) “Look, we’re sorry, but we’re not PC guys. We’ll do better next time, I promise.” So it was with cautious fingers and eyes on my monitor that I booted up an early preview edition of DS2’s PC edition. I will say these things primarily: the graphics transferred nicely. The UI and controls, have not… yet.  

Read more of Bill Murphy's Dark Souls II: Taking the PC Version for a Spin.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'll admit I've always stayed away from trying Dark Souls because it sounded way too frustratingly difficult for my lack of min maxing skills lol.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Same here. Im an older gamer and my reflexes are not what they used to be.  Dark Souls always sounded too frustrating for me to play. 
  • vecconveccon Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I'll admit I've always stayed away from trying Dark Souls because it sounded way too frustratingly difficult for my lack of min maxing skills lol.

Min/maxing is in no way required. I've played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and while min/maxing would make things easier, it isn't necessary. Patience and tact are more valuable than one more point in strength ever will be. And as long as you aren't using a weapon that does not match your stats (a Dex weapon on a Str based character for instance), you should do fine. Crafting is easy to understand, and great weapons are just a single boss kill away most time. 

The ultimate trick is to find the powerful weapon hidden near the start of the game. In Demon's Souls, it was the Crescent Moon Scimitar, and in Dark Souls 1, it's the Drake Sword. Both are accessible within an hour of starting the game, and both will give you a MASSIVE advantage over the early game, allowing you to adjust to the difficulty at a more organic pace.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I tried the first one, it was stupid.  The 'difficulty' was all cheese.  The skill is in learning tricks to each encounter, so you never really learn to actually be a better warrior.  You just trial and error, get lucky or unlucky.   It's surprising that this franchise has a fan base.

"I was doing just find through the first half hour"

You meant "fine".

And from your first death, I take it your character can't even swim?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I tried the first one, it was stupid.  The 'difficulty' was all cheese.  The skill is in learning tricks to each encounter, so you never really learn to actually be a better warrior.  You just trial and error, get lucky or unlucky.   It's surprising that this franchise has a fan base.

You meant "fine".

Nope, can only walk through appropriately deep water. I assume they're going with the "you're too heavy to swim" rule.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

You meant "fine".

I understand this statement .. but also confused by it.

Learning tricks to each encounter is extremely beneficial however, the "skill" comes from reacting quickly and feeling out the enemy before engaging all while keeping your souls. Anybody can die over and over again until they've worked out a system, this takes no skill.

The confusing part of your statement....

1. Assumes that there aren't any "human player" encounters which are the only challenging aspect of any game.

2. Assumes that there is more to be expected from PvE encounters ...

Basically All PvE  (in any game) = The skill is in learning tricks to each encounter, so you never really learn to actually be a better warrior.  You just trial and error, get lucky or unlucky. 

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    This will be the first one I play on the PC having played the first 2 on consoles.   Im really hoping the mouse and keyboard is viable.
  • darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    I'm sticking with a controller and hooking my pc up to my big screen. Putting my skype on with a friend and we're going to experience the first part together.  Now who to go first around that corner...hmmm
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

You meant "fine".

Oh Pu-lease, you make it sound like that fights and encounters within DS is a mere series of gimmicks, which they are not. Yes, it trains you to be a better warrior. It gives you the perfect carrot and stick scenario, which is WHY this game has a huge fan base, because those whom die (and there are many) understand that their death was a result of their own failure. 

The game punishes you, actively so for not being attentive, for not heeding warning and for not understanding the encounter and the combatants. But like so, it rewards you equally. This is why when people rage about the game, they go straight back into the world. 

If you did not enjoy the franchise, that is all well and good. I can FULLY appreciate as to why this game is not for everyone. However, to slur the game because you lack an appreciation of it and its HUGE fan base is somewhat petty on your behalf. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The difficulty of DS is exaggerated. Sure, you die rather often, but dying is usually not a big deal and your own fault for not paying attention. Reading, listening and looking for clues is what's important. I've recently played lots of Rayman Legends and Guacamelee and both of them are far more demanding than DS reflexes wise.

Originally posted by Paragus1
    This will be the first one I play on the PC having played the first 2 on consoles.   Im really hoping the mouse and keyboard is viable.

If you played the first two games on consoles, you probably have a controller you can plug into your PC. It works fine after some easy tweaking. If you have a wired X360 controller, no tweaking is required.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Some games are best played with a controller, some are best with a keyboard and mouse. I have no idea why anyone would pick a control system based on the machine they're playing on rather than what best fits the game they're playing.
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

its difficult but you will figure it out if you are prepared to grind it out.

ill play till I get angry then get tips on the web.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    The weird think about Dark Souls and Demon Souls was that I actually grinded more in those two single player games than I ever have in any MMO just so I could be "strong" enough to make it past certain areas.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor