Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: The Challenge is Welcome

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Iselin

Burning talons + the AOE from wall of elements is nasty in PVE... so what you going to use for PVP when they don't rush you as a group in a straight line? :)

I'm starting to think I should have rolled a Dragon Knight over a Templar.

As far as pve and pvp skills, wouldn't one just swap out their skills?

templar just lacks the buff based burst dps that the other three classes have. Dragonknight is nothing special just a couple of weird builds stand out above a few others. Also dragonknight does some struggling in the lower levels with no self healing until around 15. But if you build for aoe dps instead of just tanky or combine with ranged dps you can faceroll things around level 15. 

As for pvp pve swapping, not really because you are very limited on your skill points until late game and the cost of respec is 100 gold per a skill point which is way overpriced in a game that offers so many builds and really needs to be nerfed price wise. most survival builds for leveling and questing do not have the skill points or morphs into abilities that make your character more survivable in pvp. Plus being able to cc more bursty builds in pvp helps a ton, especially since most players seem to be playing ranged kiting dps classes currently.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Burning talons + the AOE from wall of elements is nasty in PVE... so what you going to use for PVP when they don't rush you as a group in a straight line? :)

Yes, of course. Just having some fun razzing Kano about his Destro/resto DK firemage build :) I also have one of those as my 3rd (or is it 4th lol) alt and they're every bit as easy for PVE as everyone says.

But in a ranged fight - which is most of the time in PVP - that build is left to using the rather weak and slow standard staff attacks since it doesn't have any other 28 meter skills. At that distance a Bow sorcerer or a Tebow (others call them "bowplars" but I rather like Tebow lol) will be more than a match for the DK.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Game is already filled with cookie cutter builds. If you use those builds you will never die. Only challenge comes when you are experimenting with your own builds. 
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I agree the respec cost are out of control, i needed to pay 5000 gold for the 1st time...

Its very hard to respec and test builds this way....

If you dont have that perfect build then odds are you cant complete some quests....

Unlesss you outlevel that contend and comeback to finish it.

This is something i r dont like at all :(

With so many options you want to check and feel what works for you and not lurk forums hours on end to see what might work best for your class / playstyle.

Currently playing a Bosmer / Nightblade . dual wield / bow and only died a few times.

The problem i face are bosses that healthemselves who cannot be interupted -_-

Its also shit that most guides say go full STAMINA while more then half your skills use magicka :P

So its hard to test what works for you unless you want to waise many skillpoints on skills you might not want to use a few levels later.

Still i love every minute of ESO so far, and i HATE questing, but Zenimax have clearly done a fantastic job with that part of the game :)

Great mmo !

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Yes, of course. Just having some fun razzing Kano about his Destro/resto DK firemage build :) I also have one of those as my 3rd (or is it 4th lol) alt and they're every bit as easy for PVE as everyone says.

But in a ranged fight - which is most of the time in PVP - that build is left to using the rather weak and slow standard staff attacks since it doesn't have any other 28 meter skills. At that distance a Bow sorcerer or a Tebow (others call them "bowplars" but I rather like Tebow lol) will be more than a match for the DK.

So are you saying that a DK Bow spec might counter this slow staff attack issue? So like a Debow? I am building a tank primary, but want a ranged backup and I was going to go Destro w/ staff, but wondering if I should maybe stay away from Destro altogether, spec into resto and go with a bow secondary too? IDK, I'm just working through it slowly. I haven't spent any points in like 5 levels now.  

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by rafalex007
    Originally posted by DMKano

If you are finding the game challenging:

1. Your build is not very good

2. You are doing something wrong

Dragonmage resto/destro staff = solo skulls and world bosses 

Single target = molten talons + any ranged weapon rinse and repeat = can solo group dungeon bosses with this

If target can't be rooted - bubble + dots + kite 

Getting swarmed by 10+ mobs - no problem AoE away, talons + fire breath + any destro staff AE

If at any point get low - switch to resto bubble, heal

With the right build the game is super easy.

with all respect i think your are trying so hard to bash this game

if you dont really like it just quit

Actually, I don't think he was hating on the game, I think he is just making sure everyone knows how much awesome uberness he has.

Back to the OP now:

I love the challenge this game has that to many MMO's have gone away from. I am hoping they keep it up. I do agree, an option to allow other players to join you in instances is needed. Even if they have done it already (SWTOR allowed an option in settings for this)

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Single target = molten talons + any ranged weapon rinse and repeat = can solo group dungeon bosses with this

Getting swarmed by 10+ mobs - no problem AoE away, talons + fire breath + any destro staff AE

So you found a FOTM build. Good for you! Will be first on the nerf hammer list. Enjoy while it lasts.

If you just pick a class and build you enjoy and not chasing the FOTM, then the game is fun and challenging.

Cheers

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

So are you saying that a DK Bow spec might counter this slow staff attack issue? So like a Debow? I am building a tank primary, but want a ranged backup and I was going to go Destro w/ staff, but wondering if I should maybe stay away from Destro altogether, spec into resto and go with a bow secondary too? IDK, I'm just working through it slowly. I haven't spent any points in like 5 levels now.  

As far as ranged weapon skill lines go, bow is the best of the 3 and even its standard attacks are better since they get the stealth from behind bonus that staves don't get. It also has the farthest ranged ability in the game, snipe, with a 40 meter range.

It's a great PVP weapon for anyone but especially so for classes that also have 28 meter magicka based attacks. It's nice having both the magicka and stamina pools to draw from for abilities at range.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by gonewild

Another chick having difficulty playing a game that actualy requires brain.

I bet most complains about difficulty in games comes from girls.

So to make it more simple for girls....u are not for playing games nor for driving cars you are designed to do other things

End of story

You have to be kidding me with this garbage post. GURLS R DUMB HURR DURR. Nevermind the fact that the author has a degree in cognitive science. 

Steam: Neph

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

Quick question not to derail this thread, but; people keep saying respect costs 100 per point. I went to do that last night and it asked for 2400 to respect...? What did I miss?

Originally posted by Nyghthowler

Quick question not to derail this thread, but; people keep saying respect costs 100 per point. I went to do that last night and it asked for 2400 to respect...? What did I miss?

You missed nothing. Unfortunately it's all or nothing - you get all skill points refunded (but you lose no experience - i.e. you can put some right back where they were with the same morph and advancement of the skill)  It would be much nicer if you could just take out the ones you don't want at 100 per skill point.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

It scares me that ESO might lower difficulty because of people complaining.  I had some issues level 1-12 now I'm 24 and I can solo packs of 6-10 mobs level 30+.  Game is way to easy at this point! If anything they need to make it much more difficult at higher levels.  Once all your synergies start kicking in the game is a breeze.

I am playing a pure sorc. but I don't want the game to become even easier because people don't have sensible builds.  Its your choice how u play if you gimp yourself that's not ESO's problem.   

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

So to make it more simple for girls....u are not for playing games nor for driving cars you are designed to do other things

End of story

You have to be kidding me with this garbage post. GURLS R DUMB HURR DURR. Nevermind the fact that the author has a degree in cognitive science. 

careful now, he doesn't know what cognitive means.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311

I give major props to Zenimax for finally bringing challenge back to MMO gaming. Also the depth of crafting combined with feeling truly immersed when I play this game. I think we finally on the right track to returning back to the golden years of MMO gaming (1999-2004 I believe).

The days when challenge and dying a few times sure did piss you off, but made the reward and satisfaction when you finally did win, that much greater. All I can say it's about time. To the naysayers and critics of this game...you are a vocal minority and well no game is perfect but remember to keep sending the constructive criticism directly to Zenimax that way they can continue to improve.

Don't just complain without providing compelling reason to complain. That turns into a vile cancer. 

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268

Huh?

I love ESO - the PvP is very awesome and fun to me.

PvE is a complete /faceroll - my guild group (yes they are all DKs) - we are at lvl 45 now - we've done all group dungeons in every faction without a SINGLE death period.

I am not joking.

But we all use good builds - so again /faceroll.

You should look up the word "bashing" - it doesn't mean what you think it means.

If you have any issues with me or my posts - report me to the mods please.

Did you ever want a challenge?  I knew from beta that DK was brokenly OP and easymode.  You guys are running a group full of them?   This is the reason I am NOT playing a DK unless they get fixed.  Try another class that is not so faceroll instead of complaining how faceroll it is. 

OMG I am Ancient!
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

End of story

Post of the month.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    The biggest challenge is managing bag/bank space.
  • RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Azmodeu

Did you ever want a challenge?  I knew from beta that DK was brokenly OP and easymode.  You guys are running a group full of them?   This is the reason I am NOT playing a DK unless they get fixed.  Try another class that is not so faceroll instead of complaining how faceroll it is. 

Do you play chess without your Queen to "get a challenge"?

It is not the task of the player to restrict himself to cover the shortcomings of game design or balance.  Things like that cannot be abused enough. If it was known already in beta that this class was OP it shouldn't have gone live that way. Simple. And you can only improve the gameplay by putting pressure on the developers and point out glaring issues in a visible way.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Will I ever read again something like "Thousands of groups of players wipe every hour for weeks, trying to defeat boss..."

• magnutsmagnuts Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I have no problem soloing practically anything with my 2handed Dragonknight. Even the boss he mentioned in the article. After I figured out what the orbs were, and NEVER stopped in one place for very long.
  • ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Azmodeus

Huh?

I love ESO - the PvP is very awesome and fun to me.

PvE is a complete /faceroll - my guild group (yes they are all DKs) - we are at lvl 45 now - we've done all group dungeons in every faction without a SINGLE death period.

I am not joking.

But we all use good builds - so again /faceroll.

You should look up the word "bashing" - it doesn't mean what you think it means.

If you have any issues with me or my posts - report me to the mods please.

Reading is hard, huh? Where do you see him complaining? He made a critique. You guys are overly defensive as if someone says one thing you have to get the pitchforks and torches. He says he loves and enjoys the game. Just because he says an aspect is easy doesn't mean otherwise.

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I feel bad for the poster considering she will encounter more of those mobs down the road. As for difficulty the real pve doesn't get tough until after the main story is done and you find yourself in veteran land. I breezed through most of the content as a nightblade vamp with duel wield. Then encountered my first veteran mob.... Ton more hp attack power you name it X_X
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I agree. They should create a hardcore server where the mobs are much more difficult. Ofcourse that wouldnt work with their shitty "mega" server technology.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by SBFord

While there have been a few bumps in the road for the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online, these have been typical for MMOs. Launch has worked out mostly as anyone with MMO experience might expect, with some players experiencing issues, and some painful growing pains that began once the gates opened up to the masses. Yet this will concentrate more on some pain of a different kind - the kind inflicted upon players through gameplay.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's Elder Scrolls Online: The Challenge is Welcome.

I agree, this is the first game in a while where common monster fights can be dangerous if you aren't paying attention. It's a welcome change through the stroll through the game style games we have been fed the past 10 years or so. It's not going to be challenging for better players than me maybe, but I never claimed to be anything more than average and it's a fun and challenging game for sure.

Thanks for the article MMORPG :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    IMO, DK and Templar can't even touch the utility and survivability of a wisely-specced NB. All except maybe 2 or 3 of their class abilities are useless.
    Isaiah 41:10