Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comic: Mediocrity Scrolls Online

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by adam_nox

The combat feels a lot more like an MMO than elder scrolls.  Maybe you can compare it to morrowind. 

It's got morrowind's combat, oblivion's graphics (well not quite as good as oblivion's if we are being honest), skyrim's hand holding, and quest grind tedium I don't think I've ever experienced in a game.  I'm still enjoying it because the quests are better than in other mmo's, but the writing is atrocious.  How can anyone claim that the writing in elder scrolls games is bad?  Go read a book and get away from pokemon.

Heh, have you played Morrowind lately (I'm playing it again now)? ESO combat isn't that great, but it certainly isn't that bad.

Morrowind doesn't have "manual" blocking. You block/parry based upon stats.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Joejc7135
     I remember the wow launch..now THAT was an overall mess.

You're comparing ESO launch to a 10year old launch?  What do you think a Blizzard launch would be like compared to ESO nowadays?

..Cake..

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by adam_nox

The combat feels a lot more like an MMO than elder scrolls.  Maybe you can compare it to morrowind. 

It's got morrowind's combat, oblivion's graphics (well not quite as good as oblivion's if we are being honest), skyrim's hand holding, and quest grind tedium I don't think I've ever experienced in a game.  I'm still enjoying it because the quests are better than in other mmo's, but the writing is atrocious.  How can anyone claim that the writing in elder scrolls games is bad?  Go read a book and get away from pokemon.

Heh, have you played Morrowind lately (I'm playing it again now)? ESO combat isn't that great, but it certainly isn't that bad.

Morrowind doesn't have "manual" blocking. You block/parry based upon stats.

It's also very very stiff, with only like 2 real animations per weapon. Not to mention the nature of their swing lol, looks like a kid waving a bubble wand around :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by sgel

You're comparing ESO launch to a 10year old launch?  What do you think a Blizzard launch would be like compared to ESO nowadays?

What is Diablo 3?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

If we look at D3 as example....

It probably be full of problems of it's own.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

You must have missed Diablo 3's launch. Not only were there multiple issues preventing people from playing, but the game was just terrible. I hear they have reworked a lot of stuff and finally turned it into a decent game, but it took them what nearly a year.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

You must have missed Diablo 3's launch. Not only were there multiple issues preventing people from playing, but the game was just terrible. I hear they have reworked a lot of stuff and finally turned it into a decent game, but it took them what nearly a year.

nearly 2 years

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84

IF it was brand new code on a new engine that they haven't previously used. Could be terrible. That being said, I kinda wonder how many people are actually having trouble with the game. 

I don't mean the occasional quest bug either, I'm talking about  the heavy bugs everyone keeps talking about.. Sensationalism comes to mind for  a lot of the posts. Yes, there are some bugs I don't doubt it but really? Most games have this problem at launch (MMOS).

I played all 5 days of pre-release (no game breaking glitches) and I've played all but a day since actual launch and still no big issues. I've ran into 6-7 bugged quests and I've done around 200. (Level 30 currently).

People like to bitch because for some reason this game bothers people. 

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Moar61

What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to openly hate on the game as aggressively as they do simply because they don't like it. I haven't enjoyed an MMO in years, this game changed that. I log on, hundreds of people saying they love it. 

I never seen such a crowd that wants a game to fail simply because they don't like it. The comic was lame btw, I cracked a half smile at the mudcrabs though. 

The game is an overall mess. It has many annoying bugs. So what's not to hate?

What are you smoking?  I've played pretty much every MMO in the last 10 years at launch and this launch was fine.  Could of been better, could of been worse, wound up somewhere in the middle. 

In my personal play time I have encountered nothing I would define as a mess and have not experienced any bugs at all.  I'm currently only lvl 10 but if the game was in such shambles as you describe I believe I would have experienced this already.  I'm no ESO fanboy either, I wasn't even planning on purchasing the title but did so on a whim.  I don't love it or hate it but I am enjoying myself.

Steam: Neph

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

Nope, I'm comparing what I view as a decent launch with what I view as an "overall mess".  You want a more recent example perhaps? Final Fantasy 14 ARR re-launch. THAT was an overall mess. A few bugged quests and dungeons don't register as an "overall mess" to me. Unless im unaware of some other gamebreaking bugs.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    lol oh yeah.. D3 :)

..Cake..

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Escapist credentials just sky rocketed, they are the only ones calling a spade a spade, everyone else is tip toeing around how poor eso is.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

nearly 2 years

D3 at launch was horribad, no argument there, the first decent version of it wasn't until it actually came out on console, and it took a surprising amount of time before they fixed the PC version, but its a lot better now, its actually a decent game which it certainly wasn't before image

I think ESO might well run the same route, at the moment its got a lot of flaws that in time will undoubtedly be fixed, maybe after it comes out on console they will fix the PC version too, i think thats the point where i will look at the game again and see if its improved enough that its worth purchasing. image

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont understand people who actually say that yes the combat is bad but it's okay because ESO series are not known for great combat.

What the hell? Why not have a great combat along with great rest of it, and have a masterpiece? As ridiculous as it seems it's almost as if the dev team thought they should have crap combat because the game is supposed to have crap combat, at least judging by the "it's crap and it's okay" responses.

I'm not hating, I just find it so frustrating when it is a rule in MMO development that you shall not have a game with all areas being well done, if it's an MMO it MUST have some area done poorly because that is the unwritten law. It does not have to be like that. Especially with big budget production where smooth animation and responsive combat should be on top 3 priority list, not at the bottom of the list.

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    I say just wait until the game hits the bargain bin $20 or it goes F2P. Atleast by than you won't be shelling out $60 and there will be lots of bugs fixed by than and they will have quite a few adventure updates by than.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Not sure if ESO is fun. Not sure if I will ever find out. The combination of purchase + cash shop + subscription fee is something I won't support.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

WOW all you ESO fan should be happy now cause the haters are coming for you and they will only come if your game is a sucess so this is a good thing.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Anyone saying: -

Horrible graphics !!! get a decent graphics card and set ESO to ultra throw Radeonpro + sweetfc profile on top of that and no mmo looks better - perdiod.

Horrible Launch ? realy ? think you must have read a few post about people cray cray who copy tha cray cray to cray cray a little more eh ?
    yes yes jump on that hate train people go on !!! hate it like you mean it rawr !
    Diablo 3 now if it was a launch like that i would say YES HORRIBLE, took Blizzard almost 2 years to fix that abomination named Diablo 3

All quest broken ? hmm gues you dint quest that much did you guys ?
    Lets see, currently level 35 and between 4 to 8 quests that dint worked properly, but they were fixed yesterday !

What else is there to whine and cray about ?
    Oh yeah !! Cashshop OMG !!!! they selling them horses!!! maybe a few pets in the future ?

ESO isnt the king of kings, nope...its not.
    But damn does it know how to tell a story and how to make pvp 50x better then GW2 fail follow the diamond !!!

No sir, ESO all the way for the time being :)
    Keep that hate comming boys, we cant laugh hard enough on the other side lol :)

• uidLuc1duidLuc1d Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Hey look, a pre-determined opinion in the form of a comic drawn by a person that doesn't like a game series.  This is new an refreshing.
    Originally posted by uidLuc1d
    Hey look, a pre-determined opinion in the form of a comic drawn by a person that doesn't like a game series.  This is new an refreshing.

Didn't you get the memo? Only MMORPG's are expected to be "new and refreshing" at every turn. Humor is allowed to be cloned. image

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Horrible graphics !!! get a decent graphics card and set ESO to ultra throw Radeonpro + sweetfc profile on top of that and no mmo looks better - perdiod.

Horrible Launch ? realy ? think you must have read a few post about people cray cray who copy tha cray cray to cray cray a little more eh ?
    yes yes jump on that hate train people go on !!! hate it like you mean it rawr !
    Diablo 3 now if it was a launch like that i would say YES HORRIBLE, took Blizzard almost 2 years to fix that abomination named Diablo 3

Lets see, currently level 35 and between 4 to 8 quests that dint worked properly, but they were fixed yesterday !

Oh yeah !! Cashshop OMG !!!! they selling them horses!!! maybe a few pets in the future ?

But damn does it know how to tell a story and how to make pvp 50x better then GW2 fail follow the diamond !!!

Ok I will laugh when it hits F2P in six months and I don't have to pay a cent to play it lol. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Viadric
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Ok I will laugh when it hits F2P in six months and I don't have to pay a cent to play it lol. 

Laugh away, I'll have a 6 month head start on you and when you show up to Cyrodill expect to be flattened unceremoniously.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by cheyane

I must admit the combat was bad during beta have not purchased the game so may have improved now so no idea . I really am still on the fence with this game but the crafting interests me but the game bugs scare me.

I feel with collision detection combat is much better but apart from that it's still the same, only difference you now actually see/feel/hear the strike. Still not sure why so many have problems with combat in ESO. 

I am getting deeper into crafting, love the getting to know things by experimenting. I didn't know untill wood/armor crafter level 3 that I could add (+) more resources (iron/wood) to increase it's level value.

It's the first MMOrpg since years that has drawn me into it's lore/story.

As for the comic, yeah it represents the majority of people into these type of game with limited playstyle's. Doesn't really say much about the game. But we already knew that didn't we?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by cheyane

I must admit the combat was bad during beta have not purchased the game so may have improved now so no idea . I really am still on the fence with this game but the crafting interests me but the game bugs scare me.

I feel with collision detection combat is much better but apart from that it's still the same, only difference you now actually see/feel/hear the strike. Still not sure why so many have problems with combat in ESO. 

I am getting deeper into crafting, love the getting to know things by experimenting. I didn't know untill wood/armor crafter level 3 that I could add (+) more resources (iron/wood) to increase it's level value.

It's the first MMOrpg since years that has drawn me into it's lore/story.

As for the comic, yeah it represents the majority of people into these type of game with limited playstyle's. Doesn't really say much about the game. But we already knew that didn't we?

Just an FYI: There's an android app on the google playstore that is basically a self-contained ebook reader with all the books from the TES series from Morrowind up to Skyrim.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Elder scrolls online has one of the better (perhaps "the best") combat system out there; if it didn't, I would not be PvPing in Cyrodiil. End of story.
This discussion has been closed.