Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comic: Mediocrity Scrolls Online

SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

The Escapist Magazine has featured TESO in it's latest Critical Miss comic.   The comic itself might be a foreshadowing of the reviews to come for the game as well (at least for that website). 

From experiences in the Beta of the game, I'd say that the strip is pretty much spot-on.      It does seem more comical than it should considering the stain it'll leave on the genre as a whole.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to openly hate on the game as aggressively as they do simply because they don't like it. I haven't enjoyed an MMO in years, this game changed that. I log on, hundreds of people saying they love it. 

I never seen such a crowd that wants a game to fail simply because they don't like it. The comic was lame btw, I cracked a half smile at the mudcrabs though. 

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Moar61

What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to openly hate on the game as aggressively as they do simply because they don't like it. I haven't enjoyed an MMO in years, this game changed that. I log on, hundreds of people saying they love it. 

I never seen such a crowd that wants a game to fail simply because they don't like it. The comic was lame btw, I cracked a half smile at the mudcrabs though. 

I guess to satisfy the same need you have to come here and support the game, instead of just playing it and having fun :)

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

The feel of combat in ESO is just like the regular Elder Scrolls.  It's always been the weak point of the series.  I don't see how pointing it out as a glaring flaw in the online version and glossing over it as not a big deal in the single player makes any sense.  The quest writing is a lot better than most MMO's although the quality is all over the place.  I've never fallen through the world, crashed, etc. but this may have happened to other folks.

All in all a good comic exagerrating the rather minor issues with the game.

ESO: Bad writing, floaty combat, errors with game causing C2D and falling through world = Mediocre

Skyrim: Bad writing, floaty combat, errors with game, etc. = OMG TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

just sayin'

Steam: Neph

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Damn those vicious mudcrabs!!! hahah. 
    Originally posted by Aroukos

I guess to satisfy the same need you have to come here and support the game, instead of just playing it and having fun :)

I do play it and have fun, I'm playing right now. He asked for my thoughts on it and I gave them. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

The combat feels a lot more like an MMO than elder scrolls.  Maybe you can compare it to morrowind. 

It's got morrowind's combat, oblivion's graphics (well not quite as good as oblivion's if we are being honest), skyrim's hand holding, and quest grind tedium I don't think I've ever experienced in a game.  I'm still enjoying it because the quests are better than in other mmo's, but the writing is atrocious.  How can anyone claim that the writing in elder scrolls games is bad?  Go read a book and get away from pokemon.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I do play it and have fun, I'm playing right now. He asked for my thoughts on it and I gave them. 

I guess forums are more fun that you have to keep checking it even while playing. image

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

You asked "why" and i answered you :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by adam_nox

The combat feels a lot more like an MMO than elder scrolls.  Maybe you can compare it to morrowind. 

It's got morrowind's combat, oblivion's graphics (well not quite as good as oblivion's if we are being honest), skyrim's hand holding, and quest grind tedium I don't think I've ever experienced in a game.  I'm still enjoying it because the quests are better than in other mmo's, but the writing is atrocious.  How can anyone claim that the writing in elder scrolls games is bad?  Go read a book and get away from pokemon.

Heh, have you played Morrowind lately (I'm playing it again now)? ESO combat isn't that great, but it certainly isn't that bad.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

The combat in all the ES games is exactly the same.  Floaty crap. 

You just said the writing is atrocious in ESO but then questioned how anyone can say the writing in an ES game is bad? Besides the fact that the sentence doesn't make any sense I'd have to say the writing is the same caliber.  Maybe try reading a book instead of getting all your reading from video games?

To be clear I love the ES games online or off but they have well known and well defined flaws that haven't changed since the series' inception.

Steam: Neph

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I must admit the combat was bad during beta have not purchased the game so may have improved now so no idea . I really am still on the fence with this game but the crafting interests me but the game bugs scare me.

Chamber of Chains
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

The combat in all the ES games is exactly the same.  Floaty crap. 

You just said the writing is atrocious in ESO but then questioned how anyone can say the writing in an ES game is bad? Besides the fact that the sentence doesn't make any sense I'd have to say the writing is the same caliber.  Maybe try reading a book instead of getting all your reading from video games?

To be clear I love the ES games online or off but they have well known and well defined flaws that haven't changed since the series' inception.

Combat in an ES game, you can back up charge up a swing and step forward and land it no problem.

Combat in ESO, you miss a melee attack unless you're right up on your target and nearly standing still.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by cheyane

I must admit the combat was bad during beta have not purchased the game so may have improved now so no idea . I really am still on the fence with this game but the crafting interests me but the game bugs scare me.

I looked up crafting guides this morning (ten ton hammer has one for example) and it isn't worth it... it is deeper than wow but only so far as having you choose to be a dedicated crafter but without the spark that made SWG's crafting interesting (no real depth beyond progression, iron is always worse than steel,etc,etc)... you are better off waiting for Repop or looking into Gloria Victis which has, I've read on their site, multi-crafter items (that is to say you downright need other crafters to help you build items).

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    I never found Skyrim nor other ES titles to have bad writing - granted not the best but not bad. ESO on the other hand.. I cringe at how bad it is. But then again, all games have flaws..

If I were talking shit about WS you'd do the same thing

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I guess forums are more fun that you have to keep checking it even while playing. image

Nope, just waiting for my friend to come online image

ESO's writing is definitely not top notch, but it's better than your typical MMO. With that said, I'll only sit through the dialogue of the main story and guilds, which tend to be more interesting. As far as combat I don't find it's floaty after they added collision and some other tweaks, and at the very least the hotbar makes it more interesting/tactical than combat has ever been in Elder Scrolls.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

If I were talking shit about WS you'd do the same thing

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Nope, just waiting for my friend to come online image

Yup, in denial <3.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

LMAO That's got to be about the lamest comic strip I've ever seen.

Heavy Metal FTW

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Dihoru

Yup, in denial <3.

<3

Originally posted by DMKano

Everyone?

Oh come on - ESO is quite fun in some aspects - PvP is sweet, for me - there are many folks that are loving PvE as well.

But to ignore the numerous bugs in PvE would be just wrong IMO

Have I fallen throught the world - yes 3 times now.

Have I seen some cheesy writing in game -yes. Have I run into bugged quests - yes EP has lots of broken quests that required lots of log-outs and logins to fix.

The mudcrabs - lol

I thought the comic was pretty funny - it's not meant to be *hating* it's just poking fun at some weaknesses.

Every game has flaws - ESO has flaws too - might as well laugh about them heh

I could have been clearer, obviously I didn't mean everyone. But for the most part I agree with you

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I think you either need to buy a new computer or get glasses.......... or you're simply trolling.

As saying the game has the same Graphics as Oblivion. Just lol. You can't be serious.

• coleman11bcoleman11b Member UncommonPosts: 76

You completely missed the point of the comic I believe. This comic is more about the "standard" that is Elder Scrolls games then the issues surrounding ESO. The only ES cliche left out in this comic is the fact you start our in jail... again.

[mod edit]

• BladorthinBladorthin Member UncommonPosts: 27

If you sincerely think this game's graphics equal Obivion's, you need to reinstall it and do a double take.

As for the writing, I have enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not perfect, but then again I never felt the dialogue in the TES games was stellar to begin with.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

People in glass houses shouldn' throw stones...that comic was the definition of mediocrity. I love the critiques on combat in a genre where for a decade swinging a melee weapon from 30 feet away and having it register as a hit was perfectly acceptable. All the sudden mmos need to have god of war combat?

ESO is mediocre in the same way Titanfall is the next big thing....

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Are they trying to be the next pennyarcade?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

The game is an overall mess. It has many annoying bugs. So what's not to hate?

Game has a few bugs, the bugged starter dungeon and quests bothered me. But they fixed that yesterday. What other bugs does the game have that would cause you to quanitfy it as an "overall mess"? I remember the wow launch..now THAT was an overall mess.

This discussion has been closed.