Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO to grab market majority?

Comments

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by amber-r

Elder scrolls isn't pc only, not sure why people are listing pre-orders for PC alone.

VGchartz listed pre-orders for NA for ESO (PC & Consoles) as 266,764.

Zenimax will probably gloat around the 1 month mark, same as most other companies.

The Xbox One and PS4 versions don't even come out until early June. So I wouldn't expect much in terms of official numbers until late June or early July.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by Colt47
    I think the Elder Scrolls Online will be a successful game simply thanks to the name recognition, but it probably wont win over those who enjoyed the single player entries.  Namely, it isn't so much about the HUD or the looks, but rather what a player can do both in the game and outside of it via modding.  Also, we are still living in a proverbial deluge of Action based themepark MMORPGs to the point of over saturation, which isn't helping anyone in the industry at the moment.  We got games competing for peoples time that were published as far back as 2004 still running around!

See, this worked for SWTOR because most star wars fans are in fact not gamers. However, all ES fans are indeed gamers, so they're not as clueless to game developer tricks as SW fans were. Thats why SWTOR sold so many boxes, but ESO will not.

How many non gamers look into buying MMORPGs though?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I think the Elder Scrolls Online will be a successful game simply thanks to the name recognition, but it probably wont win over those who enjoyed the single player entries.  Namely, it isn't so much about the HUD or the looks, but rather what a player can do both in the game and outside of it via modding.  Also, we are still living in a proverbial deluge of Action based themepark MMORPGs to the point of over saturation, which isn't helping anyone in the industry at the moment.  We got games competing for peoples time that were published as far back as 2004 still running around!

See, this worked for SWTOR because most star wars fans are in fact not gamers. However, all ES fans are indeed gamers, so they're not as clueless to game developer tricks as SW fans were. Thats why SWTOR sold so many boxes, but ESO will not.

We all know how gamer's (sparkly pony anyone?) are the most intelligent and informed consumer's on the planet.

LMAO give me a fucking break

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Wheres Knotwood, he ll have the right number figures I m sure.

You don't need him.

ESO will have 100 million subs before end of this year. That is my prediction. Why go small?

You hater... ESO will raise every dead Homo Sapiens that has ever existed and slave to play ESO so 30 bil is a small number!

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by laserit

We all know how gamer's (sparkly pony anyone?) are the most intelligent and informed consumer's on the planet.

You are a gamer too buddy. image

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

You are a gamer too buddy. image

That's I am... and I've made my fair share of dumbass purchases. (no sparkly ponies though)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

you're right, gamer's do indeed continue to purchase stupid things, but my point was at least gamers had the prior knowledge to avoid a trap, where as someone who doesn't even know what a trap looks like is obviously more inclined to fall right into it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

As an ESO fan, no ESO isn't going to grab market majority.  It's too different, reticle combat is also too difficult for some casual/older gamers, and the game has too much story, lore, and different questing styles than your standard kill 30 this, collect 50 that.  In order to grab market majority, it has to be a game people with crappy computers can play, with smooth combat animation, it has to use the traditional mouse clicking combat, magic bolts & arrows have to home in on whoever people alt-tab targeted, and quests have to be simple so people can just do the same thing over and over to level up.

It's the ease of gameplay and accessibility that gives you market majority.  It's not change, innovation, slow, or difficult.  No I'm not suggesting ESO is more difficult than some other MMO's.  But I know many gamers who simply can't get used to reticle targeting combat, that no matter how much they want to enjoy the game, they can't play it simply due to that.  I also know many that would simply prefer to pickup 15 quests at a hub, then go out do them all, level 5 levels, them move on.  They dislike running around searching for quests or explore, or do quests that require a bit of thinking or looking for something.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by aSynchro

It always amazes how people are all exciting about a new game and never think about the long run. Sure it's fresh and fun NOW, but what about in 2 months ? Will you still play it once you level 1 or 2 chars and know all the dungeons by heart ?

IMHO ESO will suffer the same fate that SWTOR, TSW and every previous themeparks: lots of players during the free month, then massive drop in sub... especially in September, once people get tired of doing the same thing and WoD is released)

Not that your opinion is wrong, but ESO has a few things going for it that most games don't. Such as not only do you have different classes to work with, you also have completely different maps and dungeons to play (THREE unique areas depending with side you join). The crafting is dramatically more in depth than most current games, and you could build two dragonknights and them completely different from one another.

Not to mention an enormous PvP area with actual goals. So yeah... this one has a bit more than most games.

And also, I played SWTOR and TSW and I "beat" them both. SWTOR lasted me a month, and I got two out of TSW. Both games were missing key aspects that would have kept my playing. A proper form of PvP and decent crafting.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Originally posted by Emmer4
    Originally posted by venats
    Originally posted by CouganD
    Dude I was pointing out you were pulling figures from nowhere and posting them as truth. Your last few posts have said I am "ignoring release facts" or some nonsense when all I asked you was to prove the 200k~ figure. Nice defence mechanism there, someone calls you out so they must be a white knight.

Would VGZ even know how many copies Zenimax have sold in their store if they didnt want them to? I dont feel like you'd know the answer to that though. 

The numbers her's quoting were on VGChartz, they were for pre-orders and have since been removed as the game has launched. If you don't believe it then you should probably look: http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/21o0tu/number_of_pre_orders/

No one is making up anything.

Meanwhile, in reality, a AAA MMO was outsold on debut weekend by a many month old game.

Thank you.

although I'm sure the excuses will keep on coming...they must be very well rehearsed by now ;)

Lol, I love how you think a poster somehow validates your opinion.

Fact -  We dont know the retailers included in those pre-order figures on VGChartz, or if it even included Zenimax store

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by Mardy

As an ESO fan, no ESO isn't going to grab market majority.  It's too different, reticle combat is also too difficult for some casual/older gamers, and the game has too much story, lore, and different questing styles than your standard kill 30 this, collect 50 that.  In order to grab market majority, it has to be a game people with crappy computers can play, with smooth combat animation, it has to use the traditional mouse clicking combat, magic bolts & arrows have to home in on whoever people alt-tab targeted, and quests have to be simple so people can just do the same thing over and over to level up.

It's the ease of gameplay and accessibility that gives you market majority.  It's not change, innovation, slow, or difficult.  No I'm not suggesting ESO is more difficult than some other MMO's.  But I know many gamers who simply can't get used to reticle targeting combat, that no matter how much they want to enjoy the game, they can't play it simply due to that.  I also know many that would simply prefer to pickup 15 quests at a hub, then go out do them all, level 5 levels, them move on.  They dislike running around searching for quests or explore, or do quests that require a bit of thinking or looking for something.

So you think the market this game was designed for is some majority market?  What exactly is that majority market?  

This game seems more designed to target players who are familiar with the Elder Scrolls series, like the idea of playing and interacting with other human players in the world, and enjoy action based MMORPGs.  The issue is that is probably a more narrow audience than the publisher and developer expects.  People like the Elder Scrolls games for vastly different reasons than those who like action-based MMORPGs.

I mean, do the monsters match their level of power with the player and spawn differently depending on player level in ESO? Or does it just have the zones segregated by some set level?

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I think it will hover around 500k-750k subs.  MAYBE a million.  it's too niche and most of the wow crowd (which is the biggest mmo crowd) is going to want to play Wildstar over ESO. 
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721
    I doubt they have a good number of box sales, they would be announcing it if this was the case.

In all the years I've been playing and watching mmo released come and go.  maybe once have I seen a company announce their sales.  So there is zero truth in this statement.

Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    I doubt they have a good number of box sales, they would be announcing it if this was the case.

In all the years I've been playing and watching mmo released come and go.  maybe once have I seen a company announce their sales.  So there is zero truth in this statement.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/guild-wars-2-sales-figures-future-plans-revealed

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2008/jun/06/ageofconanhits1million

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6303

http://www.1up.com/news/world-warcraft-hits-big-launch

Shall we continue or will you really claim you've been playing MMOs since last year?

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    I think i will bookmark this thread for when ESO will go f2p. Funny moments
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    You can guess ESO's population by comparing the activity on reddit, twitch etc. Right now it looks dreadful. GW2 had easily 3+ times the activity 4 days after release, and GW2 is a B2P game so ESO's retention will be lower in the first few months. I don't think it will be long until the transition to B2P/F2P.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

IMO the vast majority of ESO players will be console based. I also think that ESO will never go F2P because of the console following.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

*sighs*

This game is another 3 monther guaranteed.  June will roll around and people will call Wildstar the next game beater mmo.

Yeah right, listen folks sorry to break it to you but A-Z themeparks are on their way out the door. Some of you are just to blinded by "new car smell" to know it yet.  This game will do well on consoles because they won't have much of a choice.

Well at least until Destiny and Division drop.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Originally posted by immodium

IMO the vast majority of ESO players will be console based. I also think that ESO will never go F2P because of the console following.

Because that following isn't split between two platforms which already have to play to access the internet and are notoriously loyal to P2P MMOs.... I mean DCUO didn't go F2P, right? right?! (the last sentence is sarcastic)

• MiiuMiiu Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Maquiame

*sighs*

This game is another 3 monther guaranteed.  June will roll around and people will call Wildstar the next game beater mmo.

Yeah right, listen folks sorry to break it to you but A-Z themeparks are on their way out the door. Some of you are just to blinded by "new car smell" to know it yet.  This game will do well on consoles because they won't have much of a choice.

Well at least until Destiny and Division drop.

Well they have FFXIV which at least works crossplatform  and is available on "last gen" consoles.  (Ps3 at least)

I might be wrong here but I think on xbox one people have to pay for gold membership + mmo subscription in order to play which might be a huge turn off.

As for themepark mmos going away. There is an audience here it might not be the majority but its an audience and please people don't forget an mmo doesn't have to pull WoW numbers to be successful.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

GW2: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/16/guild-wars-2-claims-the-fastest-selling-mmo-of-all-time-title/

Rift:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-16/million-online-bringing-rift-between-sony-microsoft-games-tech.html

SW:TOR:  http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-the-old-republic-sells-2m-has-17m-active-subs/1100-6349578/

LotRO: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/midway-halves-q2-losses-delays-blacksite-wheelman/1100-6176030/

Aion:  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nearly-1-million-copies-of-aion-shifted

Mind you on many of those linked above it was a few months before they actually released numbers from the launch.  For example, Aion released NA in September of that year and the article's info didn't come until November of that same year. 

If this game -TESO- does really well, expect the developers to release sales numbers around May/June (July at the very latest).   However, if the game bombed there should be expectation that they might not release numbers at all until the console versions have had time to sell plenty of copies and pad their number.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Box sales and intial hype are great! All the fuel to claim success by fanboys and praise it as being the MMo dominator before it slips into obscurity a few months later.

Personally playing it I find it a rather weak mmos, trying desperately to cling onto TES brandname and gameplay to deliver a rather lackluster Elder Scrolls game compared to its single player companions (Which, to the game's defense, its near impossible to match a game build on a single player experience  into multiplayer without diluting and turning out a bit meh in comparison). 

It will sell good, but so did *Insert every big name MMo here* but it only lasted so long before it dropped off a cliff, just some had smaller cliffs then others. ESO in its current state I feel doesn't have much to propel it forward for very long, though don't take that as me hoping it dies. I do hope it stays around, I just feel its going to decline a bit faster then many other MMos did.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    There's no way in hell a game this uninspired will grab a market majority.

i wonder the same for WoW but anyway ... xD

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I foresee 85 million subs within the first year, and then decay to 52 million subs over the course of the ten next years.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Keylogger_007
    WOW has been hemorrhaging rather intensely since Activision stepped in. I would like to see ESO end up with that bit of the MMO playerbase, or at least a stable portion of it.

Keep dreaming. Once WOD is out.. it is going to get a lot of player base back even those who left for ESO. This has been going on for last 8 years and ESO won't even put a dent in WOW.

I wish people would just stop beating this dead horse.

I agree WOW is not going to be touched until the game itself dies down or discontinues. I'm thinking this game will be the king of mmo's for still a long time. It has the highest sub base since 2004. Right now it has 8 million players strong.