Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmm you think 50% off GW2 has to do with ESO

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
Or is it just a coincidence that the release date of ESO, a major mmo is the day they decide to mark down 50 percent?

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    It's not a coincidence for sure. Whether or not people will bite I don't know. I'm honestly surprised Blizzard didn't rush to release their expansion earlier. Their arrogance for their spot as top dog will eventually be their undoing, 15 months of the same raids is just...bad management.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    It's not a coincidence for sure. Whether or not people will bite I don't know. I'm honestly surprised Blizzard didn't rush to release their expansion earlier. Their arrogance for their spot as top dog will eventually be their undoing, 15 months of the same raids is just...bad management.

Ho w do you know they re aren t releasing stuff in the mean time.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

consideranting they new patch will land on april 18th making a sell for it to gather more people for the game would amke more sense.

sorry guys ESO is not treat to any game, I sure you guys hoped it would be the case, but sorry, its not

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Ho w do you know they re aren t releasing stuff in the mean time.

Shrug, I have no way of knowing for sure other than Blizzard outright stating that SoO was going to be the last raid addition to MoP. They may add more though for all we know.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Yes, of course, this is a no-brainer.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

No-brainer. No one wants to lose customers.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

consideranting they new patch will land on april 18th making a sell for it to gather more people for the game would amke more sense.

sorry guys ESO is not treat to any game, I sure you guys hoped it would be the case, but sorry, its not

Thats your opinion. Not the case tho. Im sure MMO companies look at the competition. Who wouldnt?

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

It doesnt matter the reason. Point is that GW2 is a quality game, with good pace in adding content and free of sub. April Feature Packs looks amazing also. So what matters is the good deal and not the reason.

As for WoW, despite i m an old WoW player and fan, i ll say its sad letting ppl play the same content for 15 months. Another sad thing is whatever ppl say, when WoD comes out most of them (maybe me too...) will get it. This is some kind of addiction and not a choice anymore.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    50% off GW2 is a bargain. If someone hasn't tried it yet and is mulling it over.. they should snap it up and save it for when they aren't playing something else.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor
    50% off GW2 is a bargain. If someone hasn't tried it yet and is mulling it over.. they should snap it up and save it for when they aren't playing something else.

I agree with this, the game is very entertaining, especially if you don't burn through leveling and content.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Gw2 is alright but after you hit level cap there's no great content imo
  • SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I believe it was due to ESO as it does pose a significant threat to GW2, whether anyone wants to admit that or not.  In any event, half off for GW2 is definitely worth it for the leveling experience alone, however after hitting 80 I did bail on the game as WvW, unfortunately, was a huge disappointment to me.
  • CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

I had fun for a year on GW2 its definitely worth the box price!

My thoughts were the price reduction was due to ESO release also purely because of the sale date. Was 4th april onwards or something.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Hardly seeing the relevance. Is it supposed to make those who prefer ESO feel good or something? It's simple business. The market gets more crowded you offer something above the competition. Not much of a big deal honestly. If you haven't played GW2 it's a time to give it a whirl. Not like you pay a sub fee so no harm, no foul. Enjoying ESO then keep on keeping on or get GW2 to hit it at a later time while it's marked down. Really no loss for the consumer/player. Win win.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

50% off due to TESOs launch - no.....

50% off due to TESOs beta coming to an end - yes.

• Some / all of the people who participated in the beta phase will have come from other games.
    • They "made a decision" to give the TESO beta a try.
    • Some may just have been curious but others will have been trying the game looking for a "new home".
    • Those who decided not to buy TESO - these are the people the offer is aimed at.
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

As a GW2 player, I can say yes ESO has everything to do with the 50% discount, just as ESO has everything to do with Anet coming out announcing MegaServer 1 day before ESO launch.  If you look at mmorpg.com, the ad place was bought up by ESO, so Anet comes in and buys a share of it so it now displays not just ESO's "HEY COME PLAY" ad, it also displays GW2's ad.

It's marketing, it's all about the bottom line.  Yes, no company likes to lose customers.  It has nothing to do with whether ESO is a "threat" or not.  You be a board member sit in the room full of black suits, and you tell me with a straight face if they're gonna say it's "OK" to lose some customers here and there to another company's product.  It's never ok, no matter how large or small.  This is the same for all companies with paying customers, no matter if it's a game or not.

Anet already pushed Season 2 out ahead of ESO's release.  The one thing that has gone ESO's way is Season 2 WvW tournament has created a MESS to 2/3 of the servers in GW2.  Many servers emptied out due to the transfer that Anet allowed before Season 2 started.  Some servers have 300+ queues to play in WvW.  The lopsided Season 2 matchups have caused a lot of people to give ESO a thought, myself included.  It was why I even looked into ESO in the first place.  I never beta'ed ESO, wasn't planning on playing it due to beta feedback.  But Anet pushed me to look into ESO, and now as a result I'm having a great time in ESO and only playing GW2 for 10% of my time.  I mean really, take a look at the Season 2 matchup, there is maybe one decent matchup going on, every other matchup is lopsided and simply not fun for GW2 players.  http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/

Now, take me as a market sample, an experiment.  Someone like me who was spending over $100 within a couple of weeks expanding bags, bank slots, character slots, building new characters, and buying weapon skins in GW2.  I'm now fully vested into ESO, will be giving ESO my $14.99 a month, and will not be spending a dime in GW2 for quite foreseeable future.  You think the black suits in the meeting rooms are going to be OK with that?  The fact that GW2 is b2p, I still can play GW2 without spending a dime because my attention is elsewhere.  You can bet ArenaNet has taken notice of ESO, whether ESO is a "threat" or not, it's completely irrelevant.  They are losing money and potential revenue just simply because ESO is launched, and  it's now providing an alternative to GW2's "Coverage Wars", "Blob Wars", and "Transfer Wars"....whatever funny thing you want to call the current messed up situation in GW2 Season 2 WvW.

So yes, bottom line is, everything Anet is doing now have everything to do with ESO's launch.  To think otherwise is being naive.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Mardy

As a GW2 player, I can say yes ESO has everything to do with the 50% discount, just as ESO has everything to do with Anet coming out announcing MegaServer 1 day before ESO launch.

While the rest of your conspiracy theory is an enjoyable read, this part is just a lack of software knowledge.

Any development like that would have been in the works for months and upwards of a year as its not a simple backend change to server handling, nor are algos like that written and vetted in a day. Megaserver, sorry to say, is not a term coined by ESO and as such the game has no claim to a name but maybe they picked the name for that reason. The actual reveal though has little to do with ESO, this is how GW1 worked initially so you may as well claim that ESO copied GW1, unless you think that the programmers at ArenaNet have impeccable timing on when they get entire server backend changes and advanced algos working.

If they wanted to murder ESO on launch, they'd have released SAB III.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Did they get encouraged to do another discount event cause of the ESO release? - most probably

Did they start the living story in April 2013 so they could end it in April 2014 followed by major game mechanic changes when ESO would  come out? - sure if you are wearing a tinfoil hat

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by venats

As a GW2 player, I can say yes ESO has everything to do with the 50% discount, just as ESO has everything to do with Anet coming out announcing MegaServer 1 day before ESO launch.

While the rest of your conspiracy theory is an enjoyable read, this part is just a lack of software knowledge.

Any development like that would have been in the works for months and upwards of a year as its not a simple backend change to server handling, nor are algos like that written and vetted in a day. Megaserver, sorry to say, is not a term coined by ESO and as such the game has no claim to a name but maybe they picked the name for that reason. The actual reveal though has little to do with ESO unless you think that the programmers at ArenaNet have impeccable timing on when they get entire server backend changes and advanced algos working.

If they wanted to murder ESO on launch, they'd have released SAB III.

1. I never claimed ESO coined the MegaServer term, you're the one that said it.

2. As a tech I know how software work very well.  Yes Anet started work on MegaServer before ESO launch, but then they would have to be if they want to compete with ESO on that regard wouldn't they?  No decent company sits back and waits until their competition releases something, then respond later.  They plan ahead of the time so they have ways to respond sooner than later.

You are being naive in thinking all that Anet has announced and done within these past 2 weeks have nothing to do with ESO.  But you're entitled to your opinions, just as you are entitled to being naive and call anybody else suggesting otherwise as "conspiracy theory".  I'll let other people be the judge.

Originally posted by Dakeru

Did they get encouraged to do another discount event cause of the ESO release? - most probably

Did they start the living story in April 2013 so they could end it in April 2014 followed by major game mechanic changes when ESO would  come out? - sure if you are wearing a tinfoil hat

Major game mechanic changes, plus balancing changes and class trait changes in middle of a tournament season is one of the reasons why many GW2 players (like me) even looked into ESO in the first place.  I don't think Anet doing living story have anything to do with ESO, it was more about their own game because they promised GW2 players such things and they were absent at launch.  So living stories have more to do with Anet doing what they said they would.

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106

2. As a tech I know how software work very well.  Yes Anet started work on MegaServer before ESO launch, but then they would have to be if they want to compete with ESO on that regard wouldn't they?  No decent company sits back and waits until their competition releases something, then respond later.  They plan ahead of the time so they have ways to respond sooner than later.

You are being naive in thinking all that Anet has announced and done within these past 2 weeks have nothing to do with ESO.  But you're entitled to your opinions, just as you are entitled to being naive and call anybody else suggesting otherwise as "conspiracy theory".  I'll let other people be the judge.

As a techy you should also then realize that the system in question is a GW1 system of how maps are/were handled back in the day. The only similarities lie in the name and, you good sir, were quite keen on noting said name. If you wish to claim ArenaNet planned this out a year in advance to occur now perfectly coinciding an end to this LS with ESO's launch so that they could roll out a significant structural rework patch... then I wish to sell you a bridge.

I understand full well that the sale has to do with ESO, but to try and tell me that they somehow planned out completing a project of this magnitude from what is likely half a year+ ago to coincide perfectly with the release of an MMO that for a long time had no concrete release date, is to argue lunacy.

• SadSwordfishSadSwordfish Member CommonPosts: 78

Well ESO and GW2 share gameplay similarities right?

Elder Scrolls is one of the biggest IPs in all of gaming. Even to this day, Skyrim is still one of the most played games on Steam. The modders keep it going. The Morrowind mod is one of the most impressive looking things I have ever seen in a mod.

So from that point of view, and based on the popularity of Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, blockbuster titles, it's most def a threat to Guild Wars, while a big IP in gaming, have never been featured as single player games since the mid 90s nor appeared on consoles. 

But see? competition is great for all of us. new and old!

Originally posted by SadSwordfish

But see? competition is great for all of us. new and old!

Well said, that's the bottom line for us consumers, competition only drives these companies to do better at making their customers happy.  I wasn't happy with how Season 2 tournament was going with GW2, so I gladly gave my money to ESO, and as a result Anet will have to earn me back by doing something good.  It's a win/win for me as a customer, because the 2 games I enjoy playing will only get better due to competition.

It's the same reason why we keep getting better and better mobile phones and tablets, competition.

Originally posted by venats

As a techy you should also then realize that the system in question is a GW1 system of how maps are/were handled back in the day. The only similarities lie in the name and, you good sir, were quite keen on noting said name. If you wish to claim ArenaNet planned this out a year in advance to occur now perfectly coinciding an end to this LS with ESO's launch so that they could roll out a significant structural rework patch... then I wish to sell you a bridge.

I understand full well that the sale has to do with ESO, but to try and tell me that they somehow planned out completing a project of this magnitude from what is likely half a year+ ago to coincide perfectly with the release of an MMO that for a long time had no concrete release date, is to argue lunacy.

I guess you haven't worked for a corporation then.  I have, and been in those meetings where they discuss competition and how we can better "match" what new offering coming out from a competitive company.  You do realize Anet could've sat on their MegaServer implementation until ESO launch right?  Companies do that, because they need something to keep their customers once their competitor releases something.  It's called being a step ahead of the game.

But either way, I'm not gonna argue about it anymore.  Competition is a good thing, people should not see Anet responding to ESO as a knock on GW2.