Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed Elder Scrolls Fan

I find the game actually quite boring, but I am level 10 now with 8 chars. I like to take things slow and explore and craft rather than to race to the finish line.

I had much more fun in other mmo's I played in the last year or two. The game is kind of like a K-mart or No Frills version of a computer game:

You do not have an auction house

Quest rewards do not fit your character, usually you get heavy armor

There are no names on chars, so if one abuses you you cannot make a note of it or ignore the person because you don't know the name.

I keep attacking players becaue you basically cannot know who is an enemy, player or NPC

Armor is boring.

Quests are' colour coded' and that is laughable. White is supposed to be your level, grey too low and yellow higher but strong chars can manage it. Well, I have quessts level 3 that are yellow (don't have white quests). I find that from level 3 (the level when you basically enter the game) till at least level 8 or 9 all quests are yellow.

The game does not give an indication whether  the quest is recommended for group or solo.

You have very limited bag space and bank space is for all your chars. You get 60 spots so if every  one of your chars is a crafter you basically have 7 bank spots for each char. To upgrade costs a fortune and I am not kidding.

Personal bag space is just as pathetic.

So you do need a lot of gold to be kind of able to play, but you cannot really earn much (I believe bots and exploits are common).

Somehow I also think the game is aiming for groups and guilds etc, it goes to show with the 'new adventure area' which is only for groups.

The list goes on but these are the points that come to mind right away.

But there are so many praises of how extremely wonderful the game is so there are plenty of forces at work I think to push this game.

For me...... I only play it till another new game comes out, so it is only a 'filler' game for me.

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Judging by the huge amount of misinformation in this post, I can only assume you really haven't played that much. Get out there and get adventuring! Yellow quests are of level btw. Attacking players because you can't tell them apart from monsters...I just...I don't even.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Level 10 with 8 characters?

I think that would bore me to tears lol

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84

Yeah, calling BS on this one. 

If you have your reticle on a character you can see their name btw... Also, you can't attack players of your own alliance sooo yeah no, also baddies glow red...

Secondly, you do share bank space but I've got  a level 28 with 17 in smithing and I've still not filled it up.  (I horde all smithing supplies)

If someone is "griefing you" in chat, you clearly see the names and you also easily ignore them.

There are few for things in your post  but I'm not looking at what you wrote and the above is what I can remember. sigh...done

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Cougan

Level 10 with 8 characters?

I think that would bore me to tears lol

I couldn't do it, and I really like the game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217

Can't nameplates be toggled in the options? Haven't tried it myself but thought I remember seeing it there. Haven't logged in today as my interest is slightly waning.

Bag and inventory space is a major gripe for me too. I usually find I have to lose items from my bag to collect loot which is a pain.

Does anyone think the colour of some of the pets don't fit in with the rest of the colour scheme which seems to be mostly brown? They look blummin' awful - off white clay colour with a blue tinge - yuck.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Yoofaloof

Can't nameplates be toggled in the options? Haven't tried it myself but thought I remember seeing it there. Haven't logged in today as my interest is slightly waning.

Bag and inventory space is a major gripe for me too. I usually find I have to lose items from my bag to collect loot which is a pain.

Does anyone think the colour of some of the pets don't fit in with the rest of the colour scheme which seems to be mostly brown? They look blummin' awful - off white clay colour with a blue tinge - yuck.

Can't be toggled that I know of.  There is some discussion / complaints about it, dated even a few days ago:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/64120/we-need-name-tags-above-players-and-npcs

It sounds like an engine issue, having them on kills performance, like in SWTOR and their in-house Hero variation.  Possibly any on-screen text even chat bubbles get treated as separate 3D objects, etc.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by NamibiaSWA

I find the game actually quite boring, but I am level 10 now with 8 chars. I like to take things slow and explore and craft rather than to race to the finish line.

I had much more fun in other mmo's I played in the last year or two. The game is kind of like a K-mart or No Frills version of a computer game:

Matter of perspective really.

You have guild stores - fulfills same role. Just join one or two trading guilds. There are a few that seem to work well right now.

Again join guild. This game is not supposed to have the best equipment coming from drops or rewards. Buy from other players or do what you need yourself. This will not slow you down much really.

There are no names on chars, so if one abuses you you cannot make a note of it or ignore the person because you don't know the name.

There is such new invention that only some know of it's existence. Even less know how it works. It is called chat window and it can do miracles. Works same as in other MMORPG titles.

I keep attacking players becaue you basically cannot know who is an enemy, player or NPC

Hostile mob surrounded by kind of red aura or something like that. Enemy player has faction emblem over their head.

Armor is boring.

Quests are' colour coded' and that is laughable. White is supposed to be your level, grey too low and yellow higher but strong chars can manage it. Well, I have quessts level 3 that are yellow (don't have white quests). I find that from level 3 (the level when you basically enter the game) till at least level 8 or 9 all quests are yellow.

Gray - too high level to be worth of it. Green - effortless. Yellow - your level range. Orange - tough ones. No idea where did you get this white colour here.

The game does not give an indication whether  the quest is recommended for group or solo.

Never bothered to read what quest is actually about?

You have very limited bag space and bank space is for all your chars. You get 60 spots so if every  one of your chars is a crafter you basically have 7 bank spots for each char. To upgrade costs a fortune and I am not kidding.

Simply learn to manage it. It is perfectly doable, especially for someone with 8 characters created (somehow I doubt you play them all really - if you do then you are doing it really wrong)...

So you do need a lot of gold to be kind of able to play, but you cannot really earn much (I believe bots and exploits are common).

Basic mount costs 17k gold. By the time you hit 20 you should have easily similar amount - some of it you will most likely want to use on bank space and inventory space of course but doubtfully all of it. After 20 it's even easier.

Somehow I also think the game is aiming for groups and guilds etc, it goes to show with the 'new adventure area' which is only for groups.

MMORPG - Massively Multiplayer Online RPG. Means you play with other players.

Sounds really like you are not getting what MMORPG is about (or atleast should).

But there are so many praises of how extremely wonderful the game is so there are plenty of forces at work I think to push this game.

For me...... I only play it till another new game comes out, so it is only a 'filler' game for me.

Honestly you only claim to play but in fact it appears like you try to lick icecream through the glass and decide if you like it or not based on that experience. No offense but this is just how it looks like.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444

If you can't tell apart from players and NPC, do what I do... In options you can toggle health above friendly players. Set it to all the time... Easy fix

and if you point at the player , you will be able to see his name...

• ShavaKaShavaKa Member UncommonPosts: 91

"I find the game actually quite boring, but I am level 10 now with 8 chars. I like to take things slow and explore and craft rather than to race to the finish line."

Obviously you're bored since you have made a ton of alts. Are you saying that you prefer games that are slow, explorable and have crafting?  I don't understand you here, because ESO has it. Did you mean a different MMO? Are you drunk?

"I had much more fun in other mmo's I played in the last year or two. The game is kind of like a K-mart or No Frills version of a computer game:"

What's this fun in other mmos you prefer?

"You do not have an auction house"

Join populated trading guilds

"Quest rewards do not fit your character, usually you get heavy armor"

There's a ton of items in ESO, if you want armor seek out someone who can craft you some, or be paitent until you find it, or even craft it yourself.

"There are no names on chars, so if one abuses you you cannot make a note of it or ignore the person because you don't know the name."

OK

"I keep attacking players becaue you basically cannot know who is an enemy, player or NPC"

Nope

"Armor is boring."

Armor is realistic and not flashy wow candy - hey, but the colored text is still in fashion.

"Quests are' colour coded' and that is laughable. White is supposed to be your level, grey too low and yellow higher but strong chars can manage it. Well, I have quessts level 3 that are yellow (don't have white quests). I find that from level 3 (the level when you basically enter the game) till at least level 8 or 9 all quests are yellow."

Try the quest, if it's to hard find help. It's called a challenge.

"The game does not give an indication whether  the quest is recommended for group or solo."'

OK, see above.

"You have very limited bag space and bank space is for all your chars. You get 60 spots so if every  one of your chars is a crafter you basically have 7 bank spots for each char. To upgrade costs a fortune and I am not kidding."

Fish and sell them to vendors. That's one way. Join trading guilds to sell your goods, or services.

"Personal bag space is just as pathetic."

What exactly are you hording in there? Stick to one craft for now.

"So you do need a lot of gold to be kind of able to play, but you cannot really earn much (I believe bots and exploits are common)."

As I mentioned above, try fishing or guilds and don't buy gold from third parties.

"Somehow I also think the game is aiming for groups and guilds etc, it goes to show with the 'new adventure area' which is only for groups."

OK, what's the big deal here? Isn't that end game anyway?

"The list goes on but these are the points that come to mind right away."

Nothing about bugs? Wow.

"But there are so many praises of how extremely wonderful the game is so there are plenty of forces at work I think to push this game."

And you're not one of those forces, but hey, Zeni got you talking about it.

"For me...... I only play it till another new game comes out, so it is only a 'filler' game for me."

Let me guess, Wowstar Online is next for you?

ESO is the first game in a long time that actually makes me want to play it. It's kinda parky, it could use a lot more depth on some things but it has nailed interest and I want to see what the future brings, because I'll be playing it for a long time.

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

Yeah I understand how the OP feels...

From poor customer support to bad coding....to only have 5 active skills slots....unable to change those slots or weapons in combat to weapon and item durability...to just plain being limited in what you can carry.

I did report one player for a very bad name....so I have no trouble telling players apart from enemies.

The entire game though....is like a flash back from the 80s

Aside form an actual fairly good 3d map.....its basically kind of pathetic.

You go to any dungeon or anywhere and other players will be there as well.....quite a few kill the targets you are supposed to kill over and over....some just run around farming only.

They even charge your account immediately when you choose to subscribe....no the information zenimax tells you is wrong.....whom will you listen to....zenimax or the bank...the bank whom will tell you they sent a digital request for funds and it will be paid unless they cancel it....thus the funds are not available to you.

That alone is enough o cause some real problem with some players...who maybe don't have tons of cash to spend, I myself am resorting to skipping meals until I get paid again.....since they put me over budget.

Oh and they don't give you 30 days....their timer is fast so after 3 days it says 4 days have past for me. 

I found the durability silly as usual...and notice it got worse as I leveled....higher level weapon not only cost more to repair but get more durability loss because they do more damage...and your skills even make it worse....you also cant see the durability left....you have to guess what its at based on the value of the item.

Eventually the game becomes the typical you are not playing to adventure or have fun....you are playing to get money to repair your equipment so you can do one mission.

They also have a limited control scheme...but easily able to be mapped to a controller with a program....I thought they dumbed it down for consoles...but I think they simply dumbed it down to mimic a pre-1980 video game.

Over all...its an ok game....but I think final fantasy xi and xiv, rift, worlds of warcraft, just about any other game...is better.

They need to do some serious overhaul on this wreck of a game.

I rate this game...a Snooze Fest....and I would not be surprised if a mass exodus of players happens in the next few months.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I find the game actually quite boring, but I am level 10 now with 8 chars. 

Lvl 10 is not the max level btw :>

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I don't see how you being an elder scrolls fan figures into this as your complaints sound more like "disappointed mmo player".

Also it's ironic that you think the game is aimed at "groups and guilds" with so many mmo's aimed at single player experiences. And this is coming from someone who usually solos. However, it's painfully obvious that one wanting to group has been seriously curtailed in many recent mmo's.

Obviously your gripes are legit as they are your gripes. I don't really agree with most of them and I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. My gripes would come more from this not being more like other elder scrolls games. However, "for the most part" I've let that go and I'm having a blast.

Try joining a trade guild for items, joining a regular guild, or actually trading with people.

I actually got a group to help someone yesterday when I was purchasing an item from him. He wasn't sure how to use the mail and we ended up meeting in the same place for the trade. He then asked me to help with a quest.

IT WAS LIKE I WAS IN AN MMO AGAIN.

I found it refreshing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

Doesn't really fit the lore of the game.  Why have all these guilds in game if everything can be accomplished in a convenient central location?  Anyway, join a traders guild.  Serves the same purpose while fitting the lore.  

I haven't ran into this issue, but you do also have the options of crafting and trading.  I know, interacting with other players in an MMO.  Who would have thought?

Mouse over them.  Name is very plainly seen.  

You can turn on some health bars over their heads so that you can tell friendly, hostile, or NPC at a glance.  Game options, try using them.  

Armor is boring.

Your opinion.  

Might want to recheck that.  Yellow is your level.  

Reading maybe?  The quest does tell you.  It just doesn't put GROUP in parentheses beside the quest name.  

Bank space is shared.  It is plenty.  If you are filling that much up try crafting with some of it (might solve some of your other issues) or sell your junk.  

Has some of the most inventory space I have ever started with in an MMO.  

No bots, but I am acquiring more gold than I know what to do with.  You must spend a lot of unnecessary things.  

MMO.  Kinda means other players.  Glad they remembered that.  See some of your other issues.  Try playing with other players, and they might be solved.  d

I think any MMO will be a filler game for you as you are obviously looking for a single player game.  

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by DMKano

For those that find PvE in ESO boring - try PvP - it's very fun.

Personally, I don't PvP, ever. I even managed to play Eve for 3-4 years without ever firing a shot at another player...

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I think every TES series fan should stay far away from TESO or will end up feeling cheated and robbed. Its focus audience - SWToR fans that love to grind quests. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Uh, taking 8 characters to level 10 would be pretty boring for most people, regardless of the game.You may want to try sticking with one of them, to experience some new stuff.  Just a suggestion.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

I think every TES series fan should stay far away from TESO or will end up feeling cheated and robbed. Its focus audience - SWToR fans that love to grind quests. 

I'm a longtime TES fan, going back to Daggerfall, and I happen to really like TESO.  It's not perfect, but it's definitely a fun game and does a great job of bringing the world to an MMO.  In fact, I'd say a lot of little things that only a longtime fan of Elder Scrolls games would appreciate go a long way to bringing Tamriel to life.  With it being set so far in the past, it's pretty neat to see and hear references to the ancestors of some very important people in later games.  Same thing with locations.

Is it perfect?  No, of course not.  But it's still a lot of fun, and as long as ZOS handles the first few months well with bug fixes and addressing some of the spam issues, the game will do very well.

Probably the people least likely to be impressed are the newcomers who have only really been exposed to Skyrim and maybe Oblivion, since they won't notice most of the small things in the game.

You make me like charity

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    So what you are saying OP is that game is disappointing and lack the definitive MMORPG experience? 
  • MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    I used to like ESO... until I took an arrow in the knee.

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    If I took 10 chars through the same story up to level 20 only I would go insane, why the hell would you do that? If I had a new book (or 3) I wouldn't read each book up to chapter ten then put a new hat on and start reading again from the start lol.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

ESO aint perfect no mmo is.

You did a few quest to level 10 with 8 characters......dear god.....

You see shield emblems in pvp wich match the collors of the faction you fight with.
    Sure you had your glasses on when entering pvp ?

bagspace is bigger then some other mmo's i played, dont loot and keep the 10000000000000000000 items in your bag / bank.

No auction house means you can join a decent guild that drops items they do not use for their level in guildbank so other people can take it out and wear it.

Game is not for you it seems have fun with whatever your doing next.

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142

That's really a lot of chars.

Yes. It is one of the design flaws this game has. But if you ask rabid fanboys, this is a revolutionary thing.

Yes. Quest rewards never fits your character. But since character building is kinda free-form, this is not that important. You can still use that two handed sword as a mage.

Yes. According to rabid fanboys, this is not an issue, because you can see that player's name when you move your mouse cursor over him/her. The thing they wont say / admit is this is a primitive solution and doesnt work as intented: That player you aimed your cursor dont stand still. He/she moves, runs and do other kinds of "silly stuff".  And yes, it is also useless in pvp. Who killed me? To whom shall i release the revenge Kraken? What class was that? You cannot say. It may even be an npc.

Armor is boring.

Oh yes. Even the heavy armor looks like yoga pants.

As rabid fanboys pointed out, yellow quests are for your level.

Yes. But there is no need for that. Whereever you go, there are other players doing the same quest / killing the same boss. Just wait for someone comes and kill together. Like a "virtual" group. See, even the rabid fanboys cant explain this. They talk about "immersion" all day long but they cant explain finding 20 other people in a "long forgotten temple".  Oh and usually that other people camp for bosses. Isnt this immersion breaking?

Yes. This is not a design flaw actually, it shows game is ready for f2p transition. Guess what you must buy when game goes f2p?

Again, for f2p issues.

F2P issues.

Game is aiming for a single player experience. Groups / guilds are meaningless for single player. As i said, you dont even need guildies / friends, there are "virtual" groups. Guilds / groups are for PvP part but honestly i dont see it. Cyrodiil area is a bug fest now. It is not possible to play for 10 minutes without game crashing. But you know, rabid fanboys dont have this kind of issues. No bug for them and game is flawless.

Actually they are limited. All games has rabid fanboys. They usually stop after the free month because majority of players leave the game. And then comes the harsh truth: A game filled only with rabid fanboys is not entertaining enough. They switch to the next "WoW Killer - Sandbox" game.

Yes.

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I don't know why anyone gives credence to the OP. New account created on April 3rd, 2014 with 3 posts to date complaining about 1) ESO server downtimes, 2) Bugs and cost of the game, 3) this thread.

So you don't like ESO? Great, let's move on shall we?