Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favored Class/Archers Everywhere?

DatLigBoiDatLigBoi Member UncommonPosts: 35

Title says it all but the reason being is I am waiting for ESO to come out for Xbox One to test the waters on a console MMO and I've been seeing archer screenshots like crazy.

For those who are already playing I just want to know whats class role seems over populated and how bad is it, like for example is it very obvious that every corner you turn there's a archer?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

None, really. I see a lot of sorcerers but they all use different skills, armor and weapons from each other.. so even though they are the same class, they ain't the same.

DPS is the most popular role that people are starting with, which shouldn't be a surprise, but everyone can be any role eventually.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by TOWROK

Title says it all but the reason being is I am waiting for ESO to come out for Xbox One to test the waters on a console MMO and I've been seeing archer screenshots like crazy.

For those who are already playing I just want to know whats class role seems over populated and how bad is it, like for example is it very obvious that every corner you turn there's a archer?

I don't see many Archers, and the ones I run into in Cyrodiil are really easy for a tank DK to kill. The class I have seen a million of is dual wield and 2h templars. Those guys hurt, and have heals.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

I don't see many Archers, and the ones I run into in Cyrodiil are really easy for a tank DK to kill. The class I have seen a million of is dual wield and 2h templars. Those guys hurt, and have heals.

Haven't seen many archers either. Looks like ESO is the first MMO where archers are the underdog class :D

About the dual-wielders. I'm playing a stealthed Nightblade and it just rocks. Lots of DPS and a couple of them have healing attached to them. Takes quite a lot to kill anyone playing this class.

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84

Yeah, no kidding haha.

I'm using a Heavy Sorc (Heavy Armor) sword/shield and 2 hander in second slot. Tons of fun :)

• Man_of_LeisureMan_of_Leisure Member Posts: 37

I'd say archers are probably less common. Casters > Melee > Archers  - in terms of population.

• DarkShadow74DarkShadow74 Member UncommonPosts: 108

I  have thought about running a nightblade and make it an assassin, have duel blade a back up, but want to stealth in find a spot where I can shot and kill in one shot (I know it wont happen that way, but thinking of my toon like a rpg stance). want to deal in poisons and etc. but not sure if it would be over populated.

I use to play tank in WoW and EQ2, and have played a healer in WoW (2 type, Priest and Pally) but I am not sure I want to do that in ESO, I think I want to go DPS this time.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Reizla

Haven't seen many archers either. Looks like ESO is the first MMO where archers are the underdog class :D

About the dual-wielders. I'm playing a stealthed Nightblade and it just rocks. Lots of DPS and a couple of them have healing attached to them. Takes quite a lot to kill anyone playing this class.

Yeah they kind of screwed archers over in a few ways, one of them being the rather short range of existing bow skills in comparison to the abilities of melees to instantly get in range with teleports, chains, etc. Add to that the fact that there is not even an actual archer based class, just speccing into bow weapon skills while having the exact same skills as all the melees / casters.

I always love playing an archer though and have managed to work out a pretty solid build that Ive been having no trouble running around Cyrodiil ganking people constantly with. Have yet to lose a solo fight and have won about 80% of my fights vs 2-3 people. More than that and Im pretty much done for though since by the time I take out a couple of them Im basically out of stats and cant do much but spam regular shots at the others.

Im only level 21 atm, and there are a couple other skills Im interested in trying out a bit higher up the chain (like Mark Target and Haste) but what Im working with so far is:

Nightblade:

Impale (ranged version of Assassins Blade)

Swallow Soul (upgraded version of Strife)

Venom Arrow (upgraded version of Poison Arrow)

Draining Shot (upgraded version of Scatter Shot)

Crippling Grasp (upgraded version of Cripple)

And for my Ultimate I have Death Stroke, havent decided which version I want to morph to yet

The way Im setup gives me enough DPS that usually if I can get the jump on someone Im able to drop them down to -25% HP (which opens them up to being finished off with a single Impale) before they can even react to what is going on. Chose Impale as the upgrade for the range boost to allow me to stay out of melee to finish fights that are close or to catch runners.

For the fights that are real tough Death Stroke is pretty much destroying people If I have it built up enough, and I have enough CC with Draining Shot and Crippling grasp to get melees off my ass with a knockback+immobilize+snare. The CC works great for runners as well.

Swallow Soul also gives me a little bit of self healing while doing a nice chunk of damage.

Ive also decided to go ahead and work on Resto Staff as my secondary weapon to offer up some more heals & damage mitigation when needed, allowing me to act as sort of the bard / support ranger role in groups as well as keep myself alive a bit better when solo.

Being that I do tend to play sort of guerilla style, getting into the flanks for a couple quick ganks then fall back drawing 1 or 2 guys after me to kill and whittling down the larger force and / or cutting off their reinforcements I think Reaper' Mark (upgrade of Mark Target) will work very well for me since it will allow me to pretty much instantly kill whoever I mark (with my already high kill speed) so I wont be exposed to also taking 75% more damage from them and will toss me an instant 60% heal upon killing that target + boost my damage log enough to take on 2 or more guys afterwards with ease.

Basically as long as I can stay focused on my initial targets and keep both Marked Target and Swallow Soul going in good rotation (as well as getting 7% more heals from all sources while slotted) Im going to be getting constantly healed for something like 75% of my HP every time I finish someone off.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

1. Bow blooms at later levels

2. People are still working out large scale battles, but when people become better organized melee as in most mmos of this type are going to get the short end.

3. DK and Dk + destruction staff are op as heck when that gets nerf'ed and you know it will because soo many people are rolling them you will see a lot more archers.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

1. Bow blooms at later levels

2. People are still working out large scale battles, but when people become better organized melee as in most mmos of this type are going to get the short end.

3. DK and Dk + destruction staff are op as heck when that gets nerf'ed and you know it will because soo many people are rolling them you will see a lot more archers.

I have a dragon knight with a destruction staff :-), but my second weapon is a restoration staff so I'm prepared if they nerf my destruction staff so I still have a purpose lol. If they did overly nerf anything, i would just respec away from AOE abilities and do more single target stuff unfortunately. I will NEVER give up Talons though. I love that CC :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Not sure I see any specific class overwhelming another, but I can tell you what's lacking.  Good tanks.  I've joined a few random group searches and the one class we often have to wait on is tanks.  There seem to be plenty of healers, strangely.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    I have a sorc in full armor and 2handed..is fun..and sometimes hard
    I like it