Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO to grab market majority?

Comments

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I dont think ESO will grab more people than SWTOR

SWTOR: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic

ESO: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

Yeah...I call BS on this one.

• Emmer4Emmer4 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Robsolf

The best you might say for this game in terms of market share, is that, at least for a while, SWTOR won't be able to claim to be the 2nd biggest US subscription MMO.

Not saying the game is bad; I haven't played it.  Just saying I'm getting tired of people speculating this crap less than a week out from a launch.

You could have said AoC and/or WAR could have a majority share of the market back when they launched.  And guess what?  People did.  While I suspect this game will do much better, threads like this one this close to launch are just flat out silly.

I'm not so sure...

VGZ quoted 157k physical pre orders for all of NA. So what are we saying there VAST, VAST majority were all digital?

If the game had any form or marketing worthy spin in relation to its sales, be that "most pre ordered PC game ever" or even "most pre ordered MMO ever" then we would have heard all about from ZOS marketing team a long time ago. The fact that they are eerily quiet on the PR front with regard to sales is fishy to me.

I think it will probably get through the usual significant sub drop offs and stabilise at around 300k subs for year 1. Year 2 onwards has F2P cash grab written all over it.

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    I doubt this game has 1m box sales yet...Most MMOs go down in subs after they come out... The feedback for this game hasnt been that great. Im willing to try it out but when it goes on sale or hits f2p.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Originally posted by Emmer4
    Originally posted by Robsolf

The best you might say for this game in terms of market share, is that, at least for a while, SWTOR won't be able to claim to be the 2nd biggest US subscription MMO.

Not saying the game is bad; I haven't played it.  Just saying I'm getting tired of people speculating this crap less than a week out from a launch.

You could have said AoC and/or WAR could have a majority share of the market back when they launched.  And guess what?  People did.  While I suspect this game will do much better, threads like this one this close to launch are just flat out silly.

I'm not so sure...

VGZ quoted 157k physical pre orders for all of NA. So what are we saying there VAST, VAST majority were all digital?

If the game had any form or marketing worthy spin in relation to its sales, be that "most pre ordered PC game ever" or even "most pre ordered MMO ever" then we would have heard all about from ZOS marketing team a long time ago. The fact that they are eerily quiet on the PR front with regard to sales is fishy to me.

I think it will probably get through the usual significant sub drop offs and stabilise at around 300k subs for year 1. Year 2 onwards has F2P cash grab written all over it.

Can we get a source link please. Oh wait...

Surely making multiple accounts to troll is against the site rules also.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP - launch weekend has the highest peek concurrent users online.

We don't know the numbers but we do know that ZOS put overflow servers as Megaserver has finite capacity.

Nobody got put on overflow - AFAIK - so they didn't hit those huge numbers - my speculation.

+1.

Not that many next gen consoles sold yet either; nor will all those users be able to buy it (e.g. in Japan). Already lots of choice as far as games go though with many more coming. 

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

I'm really looking forward to seeing some numbers and how the game fares.  If the devs pump out regular content, it is going to be an interesting journey.

Personally, I'm enthralled with the game.  My hubby and I were having some Asheron's Call 1 moments in the game and I haven't felt like that in a long, long time.  

• QarkQark Member Posts: 234

I dont see ESO as F2P game. I saw several bad releases and i saw pattern on what went wrong or what devs didnt do that had to be done...

In case of ESO i see they are developing patches like crazy, fixing little and some big issues with each. In most games that went F2P that was missing part what led eventualy to people got sick of it and left.

Allso game runs smooth...im lvl 30, till now i had 3 bug quests (one of them fixed last patch) and 2 minor bugs that wasnt gamebreaking (fell off the map and kicked trough wall).

Crafting is superb, fighting is fun, exploring is great. Bag space management need some working (filters maybe), same as guild stores.

-------------------->
    Would you like some cheese with that whine?

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    The honeymoon period for new MMOs lasts between 1-3 months.  I think you'll know within a year how many people are still interested in this game and whether or not the amount of subscriptions they have will allow the game to be successful enough to stay with a P2P model.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Pffft this again. Every time a new mmo comes out we get "OMG THIS IS THE BEST MMO EVER" "gonna kill WOW"

And we all read it huh 5million people registered for beta. OMG.. a how many really played in beta? We will see the same thing in a few months. XXXX amount box/digital sold. Great..how many are NOW ingame playing? This you will never ever get an answer for.

I really believe allot like this as I do because its simple. Very simple. Not challenging at all. You can stand 10-20 feet away from an enemy and FACE THEM and most the time still sneak up on them. Dont say you cant I do it.

Last night I was fighting as I went around the bigger Island. Fighting two and killed one and the other killed me. I thought how can 2 lvl 5's kill me? I was lvl 5 and didnt even know I was killing level 11's. I found I can kill one easy 2 I died each time. Yet if you really played beta you know this and told them to fix this.

We all read sites, forums talking about chunky animations, combat is awful, it sucks, its like slow motion. Not sure what you did in beta LAST YEAR yet I told them and many many more did.

Yet I still read as of yesterday "wow the animation sucks, combat is awful. Not all the time but it does pop up allot. You have to be a moron or so handicap to die fighting something. How in the world and even why and just like Wildstar do you miss that HUGE RED INCOMING? Really?

Combat, Its like kiddy combat. What are we all really that stupid we need to know when the enemy is going to unleash some hard hit? OMG I didnt see that coming.. they need to make that super easy so we can get out of the way and stand beside them or behind them as they are still trying to hit that target that is no longer there.

We cant compare any new mmos with World of Warcraft anymore. WOW is and was the best. There never was and will never be another that ran as long and as good as it did. Like it or hate it matters not. Blizzard made billions no other has and they dont care what you or I think..they are. That started 2004 and people still pay $15 a month to play..MILLIONS do.

So come back after 5 years and tell me how good ESO is.

So me I am playing ESO its fun ..its easy. I play till Wildstar comes out. Not the same its very different but been in the beta so long.. I really like the game. Yes easy to and funny though to me.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

In a time of so many MMOs to play, I believe the days of "Being the top MMO for years on end" are gone.

Once WoW falls from #1, there will be no more #1's for longer than a year at most.

My 2 cents

• DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    l'm having to much fun to care what anybody saids about the game. l'm loving every minute of it.
  • venatsvenats Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Cougan
    Can we get a source link please. Oh wait...
    Surely making multiple accounts to troll is against the site rules also.

Since the game went live the VGChartz numbers for pre-orders are gone in favor of the as-of-yet not revealed sales numbers. You can look through this very forum or even reddit for the previous numbers which sat at 157k pre-orders. But what that means/meant is anyone's guess.

They are definitely not out and about advertising their massive sales though.

• SparkTRSparkTR Member Posts: 9
    The latest UK sales charts lists this as the best selling game, so that's a good sign. Also don't quote VGChartz, they pull numbers out of their arse. You may as well guess, that's how unreliable they are especially for PC games.
    Originally posted by SparkTR
    The latest UK sales charts lists this as the best selling game, so that's a good sign. Also don't quote VGChartz, they pull numbers out of their arse. You may as well guess, that's how unreliable they are especially for PC games.

The UK sales charts are weekly and ESO came out in with nothing around it to compete. Its obviously going to top those, and it sold less than FIFA 14 somehow which released last year. So uh...

The issue is that we have nothing else to go on and they don't give us anything else. VGChartz is most definitely a bad number to go by but it's statistically derived from Amazon + Retailers who don't hide numbers.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

Gaming is trendy - as is the entire software business. Whether its whatsapp or flappy bird etc games can rise very quickly to dominate market share. They don't necessarily have to be the best they just need trendsetting player playing. The people who think WoW can never be toppled are misguided. This is especially true in the European and US market.

Remember the biggest MMO IS a themepark. So 'running out of content' is not necessarily a problem. Just stick some hard content at the end and people never run out. How many people finished WoW last heroic raids? If you didn't - you didn't run out.

WoW's trump card with regards to 'numbers' is their Asian sales. We don't know their breakdown overseas but even a very small piece of China = huge numbers. Unfortunately those guys don't pay much for it..

Look for a huge explosion of sales is GW2 when their 'chinese' release is ready. WoW love is pretty low in the US/EU markets anecdotally from what I can tell. Everyone I have run into is someone who 'used to' play WoW. YMMV.

Originally posted by GuyClinch

Gaming is trendy - as is the entire software business. Whether its whatsapp or flappy bird etc games can rise very quickly to dominate market share. They don't necessarily have to be the best they just need trendsetting player playing. The people who think WoW can never be toppled are misguided. This is especially true in the European and US market.

Remember the biggest MMO IS a themepark. So 'running out of content' is not necessarily a problem. Just stick some hard content at the end and people never run out. How many people finished WoW last heroic raids? If you didn't - you didn't run out.

WoW's trump card with regards to 'numbers' is their Asian sales. We don't know their breakdown overseas but even a very small piece of China = huge numbers. Unfortunately those guys don't pay much for it..

Look for a huge explosion of sales is GW2 when their 'chinese' release is ready. WoW love is pretty low in the US/EU markets anecdotally from what I can tell. Everyone I have run into is someone who 'used to' play WoW. YMMV.

For awhile there WoW was banned in China, not sure if that changed, and the numbers only dipped 2 million.

edit: nvm that was an old story that was debunked...sorry about that.

• SparkTRSparkTR Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by venats

The UK sales charts are weekly and ESO came out in with nothing around it to compete. Its obviously going to top those, and it sold less than FIFA 14 somehow which released last year. So uh...

The issue is that we have nothing else to go on and they don't give us anything else. VGChartz is most definitely a bad number to go by but it's statistically derived from Amazon + Retailers who don't hide numbers.

Yeah I should have specified individual formats. Honestly I was just surprised a PC retail game got that high at all, not since Rome II has a PC retail topped the charts in that region I think. Diablo 3 RoS, with much the same competition, didn't even get that position (though yes still sold amazingly worldwide).

Originally posted by GuyClinch

I'm not even sure why we compare ESO to WoW, when in reality we should probably be comparing it to GW2. There's far more to really compare there be it with AvA vs. WvW, PvE, or general exploration-focused leveling, and what have you. The Craglorn release is perfectly in-line with how GW2 released Halloween+Fractals+Lost Shores.

Is Craglorn + AvA + 15$/mo = Fractals + WvW + 0$/mo?

Ultimately ESO is going to have to compete with GW2 for shares and particularly in the not-free vs. free to play game value comparison with both having a box fee, and both having a cash store. Most MMOs that release are going to have to fight GW2 more than WoW. WoW is entrenched. Same will apply to Wildstar.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    ESO doesn't have the polish to even be a contender. OP thread is merely wishful thinking.
    Originally posted by SparkTR
    Yeah I should have specified individual formats. Honestly I was just surprised a PC retail game got that high at all, not since Rome II has a PC retail topped the charts in that region I think. Diablo 3 RoS, with much the same competition, didn't even get that position.

Its not unusual at all. PC games will top those charts when they have a lot of build up. Its VERY unusual for an MMO to release and not beat out a six month old game even if its cross platform. Platform exclusives (even if not PC only) have been beating out FIFA on their launch day easily.

RoS sold 2.3 million copies in total but its not PC exclusive and was fighting Second Son and Titanfall on release, bad rap on D3 in general. So a bad comparison. You need to look to PC exclusives like SimCity, which easily topped sales charts, or GW2. But the number of high profile PC exclusive releases is low in general but when they release they top salescharts.  Another one to wait for is DS2 when it releases but that is also not PC exclusive.

D3 shattered PC sales charts when it released.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I think it has the potential to grab the market majority,  but not because its an overall great game,  but because it is going to have the console launches behind it as well which will open the market up to other potential players.  I mean we only see a great amount of players in ESO on the PC version,  but we won't see what the consoles bring in either,  and usually console versions of games outsellf PC games and even on MMOs they outpopulate PC MMOs.  That being said, it only stands to reason that if we see a strong PC population you can be just as sure that we'll see as large of if not larger of a console market.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

I was having fun in beta but was worried about some issue.  Half the issues were the game and they've done a good job of fixing most of those.  The other half of the issues was just me trying to wrap my head around something that played a little different than what I was used to and as I started figuring out the game systems and adjusting the UI to how I liked it, I found those issues went away.

I've had an awesome time playing since launch.  The main thing that was worrying me was end game pve content, but after watching the Craglorn video today, I feel a lot better that they are not just totally focused on pvp at end game.  Overall, I'm having more fun playing a game than I have in years so to each his own, but if anything the game is worth the box price easily.  Since I haven't seen the endgame yet I can't say it's worth the sub, but from what they've been doing so far and the news that's been releasing on new content I'm excited and plan to be playing for at least the next few months.

Not all who wander are lost...

Originally posted by maskedweasel
    I think it has the potential to grab the market majority,  but not because its an overall great game,  but because it is going to have the console launches behind it as well which will open the market up to other potential players.  I mean we only see a great amount of players in ESO on the PC version,  but we won't see what the consoles bring in either,  and usually console versions of games outsellf PC games and even on MMOs they outpopulate PC MMOs.  That being said, it only stands to reason that if we see a strong PC population you can be just as sure that we'll see as large of if not larger of a console market.

What real MMO has outsold its PC equivalent? Final Fantasy is the only game that comes to mind because the Final Fantasy community is on the console more.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    We already had several topics on this where people were claiming 10 million to 20 million subs. Do we really need another one of these? image

WHat's the difference between that, and people saying it will be F2P in a year or less in every thread? Never really see you complain about that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by simon155
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I suspect most people understood the box sales on launch and pre-order would do well, but this is a box sale+sub+ possible cash shop?.  I don't see anything in this game worth that.  I still believe this is heading f2p within a year? or so.  

No - Those figures did not include digital preorders etc. Also, they treat ALL titles in the same manner ie for sales / release dates etc.

I believe you're misinformed about the cash shop - there is no cash shop, and they have stated outright there will NOT be a cash shop, if you refer to gaming advantage. There are services available for extras though, the same as they did for WoW, including faction changes, name changes and changing character appearance - trivial bits that don't affect the game but involve messing about.

F2P? I remember people saying that about WoW, and from what I've seen this will be a far bigger hit. There's more chance of snow in hell lol.

What do you call an 11 euro horse? Available right now in the shop.