Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Waiting for Draenor

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week in the WoW Factor we take a look at six things you can do while waiting for this fall's release of Warlords of Draenor.

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: Waiting for Draenor.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Yet another 1 year wait for an expansion. You would have thought Blizzard would have learned the last time they did this.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• hasho83hasho83 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    so that is just my opinion ! ill stop wow till WoD comes out,i love the game but i'm bored from MoP.As soon as there is new content ill be back with my guild :) (if your play on The Melstrom,and you have taste of humor(or your tank) we need you for WoD pm any one from Warsong ) . So see you at WoD all gl and have fun ^^
  • VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    You can tell how committed WoW players are by how long they are willing to maintain a sub fee for a game that's been void of significant content updates over the past few months and doesn't have an expansion out for another several months. That's dedication.
  • JPaterson84JPaterson84 Member Posts: 11
    Counting not a strong suit? Your article skips point four, therfore only having FIVE things.

Freelance writer, majority of work in the video game and entertainment industries.
    http://www.jpaterson.net/

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    How do I plan on spending my time? Playing Warframe and Wildstar... ^^  I have four 90's at this point, so I'm quite burned out on Panda land.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Or just go play ESO and then Wildstar in June, ;D!  Why plod through the same content we've had for a year and half already when you can explore other worlds and come back when they finally release the expack.  That's what I'm doing,
  • hasho83hasho83 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Mr. Prhyme the only thing im truly committed is having fun (as any sane person who plays MMOs should be),but that is only my point of view :)
  • MarmanmanMarmanman Member Posts: 9

I like to take a break once in a while and am sort of happy having to wait a few months.  I'm like many, have multiple 90s that are pretty much SoO normal maxed out, so what's wrong with a little rest?

I'm trying out ESO which should be good until Wildstar comes out and then Wildstar until WoD comes out.

It's like the MMORPG gods are smiling down at me!

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Until WoD, Wildstar it is. I ll see when WoD comes out if i ll buy it. Mixed feelings until now.
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

So true, this game is dead. Playing the same content over and over is just plain stupid.

With all the new mmorpg out who cares about this old mmorpg dummed down, none plays for the leveling because the only thing that matters in that game is end game, so why level at all?.

Next xpac looks fun but why spend your instant 90 right away and start using your free gift if you pre-order when you can wait and do it when the new content comes out and have lots of friends to play with.

Right now the world is dead, you only have people full boa starting new toon and hanging out around Goldshire making duel or just talking crap about other players, or waiting for there Q to pop for arena or bg or dungeons.Other then that nothing to see.

See you in next xpac if i renew my sub, been already 5 months now not playing, i am more looking forward to Wildstar and possibly ESO once everything fix in there or becomes f2p. One way or the other there is and will be more things to do in those mmorpg then in wow form start to finish. ( content that means something ).

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I did not even play 30 days on the last expansion.  I got a couple levels on my mains and stopped.  This game has lost it's luster for many of us.
  • MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by seafirex

So true, this game is dead. Playing the same content over and over is just plain stupid.

With all the new mmorpg out who cares about this old mmorpg dummed down, none plays for the leveling because the only thing that matters in that game is end game, so why level at all?.

Next xpac looks fun but why spend your instant 90 right away and start using your free gift if you pre-order when you can wait and do it when the new content comes out and have lots of friends to play with.

Right now the world is dead, you only have people full boa starting new toon and hanging out around Goldshire making duel or just talking crap about other players, or waiting for there Q to pop for arena or bg or dungeons.Other then that nothing to see.

See you in next xpac if i renew my sub, been already 5 months now not playing, i am more looking forward to Wildstar and possibly ESO once everything fix in there or becomes f2p. One way or the other there is and will be more things to do in those mmorpg then in wow form start to finish. ( content that means something ).

Uh-oh... you're speaking heresy about WoW... prepared to be banned for a day!

Also... I agree with everything you said from start to finish.  WoW is definitely looking rough these days... and with the "new graphics engine" coming out, they took a game from 2004 and made it look like a game from 2008... spiffy!

The fans are rusted into WoW's source code at this point.  I have a theory that if the WoW servers were ever shut down, the universe would fold back into itself.  That's why Blizzard will never let it go... ;)

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Letting people pay a sub for the same contend for roughly 15 months.
    ESO / Wildstar / AA / And many more games comming out.
    Blizzard might take a devastating blow this time.

I hope people give blizzard the finger this time tough, they keep lying and they sure as hell dont care for their players anymore.

15 months if WoD launches in December.....15 months of SoO.....damn that a pure robery right there -_-

Still have great memory's, but all from Vanila / TBC :)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

When will people learn that an MMO does not equal "dead" when:

1. Their own personal expectations aren't met by the game.
    2. The game still has a subscriber base of millions.
    And Blizzard has proven quite tremendously they care about their players. If you can't see that, you have either been living under a rock or you just like to troll anything Blizzard related. My guess is the latter. Boring!
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

When will people learn that an MMO does not equal "dead" when:

1. Their own personal expectations aren't met by the game.
    2. The game still has a subscriber base of millions.

Hey, I loved WoW as much as the next guy did back in the day, but when you drop from 12 million to less than 7 million in a few short years, you know things are going down hill.

They really, really, really needed this expansion to release about 2 weeks ago if they intended on keeping people there imo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

Blah, blah, blah... people have been saying the same thing since 2007...

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Letting people pay a sub for the same contend for roughly 15 months.
    ESO / Wildstar / AA / And many more games comming out.
    Blizzard might take a devastating blow this time.

I hope people give blizzard the finger this time tough, they keep lying and they sure as hell dont care for their players anymore.

15 months if WoD launches in December.....15 months of SoO.....damn that a pure robery right there -_-

Still have great memory's, but all from Vanila / TBC :)

This

While i have 2 more months in my acc, i cant even log in anymore. I m not saying wow is dead or ESO/WS will kill it etc, but for gods sake letting ppl play the same content almost for 15 months is retarded.

This is the reason i ll play Wildstar until then and i will think it much if i m ever to get WoD.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Blizzard seems to be doing the same thing with Wildstar and TESO as they did with AOC and Warhammer, almost the same timing too.   They are basically telling people to go try those games at launch, deal with the issues and then we will launch our game exactly when you are getting frustrated with the those games.

Clear up a couple things.  First is that Blizzard already stated that they used the December date because it is the very last day of fall for legal reasons.  It probably has just a good of a chance to come out in September as December.  But as others had said, I too am a bit disappointed with how slow they are, I was expecting June.

Sub losses.   People need to stop with the silliness.  WOW lost a bunch of western subs when Cata was a month old, but the other losses were all mostly from China and were very casual players who joined a f2p game that launched there.  When WOW had 12M subscribers, people here screamed that ´half of those are from china and pay almost nothing´..  and mostly it was true.  But those are the players that Blizzard lost because of a f2p game there.  The fact that Blizzard hasn´t lost revenues indicates it shed very low income players, not the $15/ month people from the west.  Blizzard used to have half it´s subscribers from China, that is no longer true.

As for the article, I would also suggest getting all of your alts to 90 and getting some timeless island gear, definitely a ring and trinket since those will last a good bit into WoD.  I wouldn´t stress out about a weapon though, since if past expansions are any indication, you will get a new weapon very early in the expansion.  In MoP it was the third quest, in Cata about the 8th.  I would get a ring and trinket because more than likely you will only get 1 in the first zone.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by FoxBoogs

Uh-oh... you're speaking heresy about WoW... prepared to be banned for a day!

Also... I agree with everything you said from start to finish.  WoW is definitely looking rough these days... and with the "new graphics engine" coming out, they took a game from 2004 and made it look like a game from 2008... spiffy!

The fans are rusted into WoW's source code at this point.  I have a theory that if the WoW servers were ever shut down, the universe would fold back into itself.  That's why Blizzard will never let it go... ;)

Its funny that people play MMOS and then complain about repetition in content.

How do you think Wildstar content is going to be in a couple of years? if you are not doing same thing over and over again expansion after expansion then come back to me and i will gladly eat a crow.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

Honest people you should read up on history when come to WoW expansion when people learn that it should not be any surprise

1. World of Warcraft, was released on November 23, 2004
    2. The Burning Crusade, was released on January 16, 2007
    3. Wrath of the Lich King, was released on November 13, 2008
    4. Cataclysm, was released on December 7, 2010
    5. Mists of Pandaria, was released on September 25, 2012
    As you all can see only one was released at start of a year and it was TBC and get game expansion released before summer or under summer when most people is on vacation equivalency big lost in profit the close to big holiday like Christmas Eve the more profit you will have and honest if have nice weather with sun who in the right mind will be sit inside under summer and play not me.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    Yet another 1 year wait for an expansion. You would have thought Blizzard would have learned the last time they did this.

What year? As I know release is planned in december and have read nothing about any postpone. And what they should have learned? All releases were in time and were perfect (but original, but I was not present at that time).

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    I think the party is on Elder scrolls for the moment

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Prhyme
    You can tell how committed WoW players are by how long they are willing to maintain a sub fee for a game that's been void of significant content updates over the past few months and doesn't have an expansion out for another several months. That's dedication.

It is even more amazing given the Panda themed content that came out of the last expansion.

• popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58

I don't play WoW anymore, but if I did, here's how I'd rate those suggestions:

1) Sounds cool.

2) If I wanted to play Pokemon, I'd play Pokemon.  Pass.

3) No idea what "Toys and Heirlooms" are.  If they're anything like Artifacts in RIFT, pass.

4) Sounds cool.

5) Sounds c-wait, vanity items?  Eh.  Sounds OK..

Glad that there are still some interesting things to do in WoW, but am also very glad I don't play in dumbed-down Pandaland.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I unsubscribed.  To me, there's nothing that kills the current content in an MMO than the promise of new content on the horizon.  I'll be back when WoD releases and not a moment sooner.