Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Launch Day Arrives with New Cinematic Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Zenimax and Bethesda are heralding today's official release of the much-anticipated Elder Scrolls Online with a brand new cinematic trailer. If you have yet to get a chance to play, perhaps the trailer will whet your appetite for

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NodboNNodboN Member UncommonPosts: 50
    i do love me some eye candy. still every time i watch a cinematic trailer it reaffirms my hate for them.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

well that was confusing and pointless. I guess this is one of those fan service trailers because i honestly have no clu who what was and why.

On top of that it was edited way to tight and choppy. The whole thing read like a Bay movie with a poor light budget,

This have been a good conversation

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Very nice trailer. I like it a lot. Of course we know it is far away from what the games really is but again it makes some people dream of what a true battleground is.

I always wanted to have a battleground with huge amount of npc like this clashing in the middle of the map where you don't have a choice to get into the action just like them and fight your way into the other faction keep and destroy it by having to take down mini boss till you reach the one and only king of the tower. If they could do this and without a way of exploiting the npc or terrain to your advantage and really have to fight your way to win that would be cool.

Again this is my view not bashing or anything here, the trailer is very good. Thanks OP

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

poor Argonians getting no love in this game... from dark elves saying things like... too many argonians over crowding our city...

to humans saying 'An argonian made this potion?'

...poor things- show em respect!

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    I prefer movies made with game engine, that aren't insanely raising my expectations, and represent the game honestly. What is the point of watching something like this, if it has almost none relation to the actual game... It was cool few years ago, when games had crappy graphics, and cinematics opened imagination, but now.... so cheap..
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Not sure if anyone else has this problem but put a ticket in to there support they have not gotton back to me yet. Bought a standard edition thru WalMart and when I saw screen this morning to set up subscription I went to it put in my info and no subscription tab went to upgrade to imperial addition and buy the new Horse and again no tab to purchace. Anyone else having this problem.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Apologies to all the haters, but I love this trailer.

I can see a movie release in the wind.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I though the trailer was pretty dull over all. It didn't  make me want to play the game or find out about it. Those first couple of SWTOR trailers where epic and set the bar pretty high. I like watching them more than I like playing that game as well.
  • zahliazahlia Member Posts: 9
    Cinematic trailers are useless and just fraudulent misrepresentation.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    :/ This doesn't look like elder scrolls, not hating or loving just say'in.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    With that budged they should've simply made a movie out of it, not a subpar game. 
  • EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56
    That was awful!  It took me a couple of moments to stabilise my head with the "shaky camera" effect at the start.  Just awful.  I wouldn't even waste my time if it wasn't subscription based ...... ok, maybe I would try it if there was no subscription.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by marcust

If a movie released with such shaky footage and no plot, just call it Blair Witch Project 3.

The rendering seems to draw on action by shaking the camera, but why not just have a solid plot to tell?  A plot would be cleaner and certainly cheaper.

Watching this is like trying to force myself to watch a Bieber video.   I just know there is artistic quality here ... I know it .... I just have to find it.  DAMNIT.

The trailer was about as meaningful as SWTOR's "Live Action Trailer", Last September 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUTuD_m_R1Q

Why bother do anything if what you are trying to sell doesn't represent the product?

I'll throw in this funny Atari 2600 ET Commercial for those looking for the better than average experience, according to advertisers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41PcEEJEQec

Advertisers are rather interesting people, aren't they?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• GrailchaserGrailchaser Member Posts: 20

I have been locked out of the game for 19 hours straight now. Despite owning an Imperial Edition, and despite providing them with a valid Credit Card to get a subscription. $42.00 remains pending on my credit card and yet the game still insists that my log in details are wrong (and I'm certainly not mis-typing my password). 

Filed a ticket 7 hours ago. Had no response. 

• Rastan1Rastan1 Member UncommonPosts: 74

Perspective: When you only have 5 abilities you can't just watch anyone fight. You have to flash from fighter to fighter to fighter to fighter to fighter to fighter to get any action. This cinematic is truth. 

I feel so bad for what should have been the new game everyone plays.  This trailer so sums up my experience with the game perfectly. Lots of dangling flashies that noone did anything with or tried to make interesting.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Very nice trailer.  Of course, the Usual Suspects will be foaming at the mouth, but then "Haters gota hate"... Its an interesting progression over the last few trailers.  They really should make a movie.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by marcust

Why apologize to haters? Its not as if anyone but other haters really cares what they are ranting and raving about... ^^  I've quite enjoyed the ESO trailers.  They take a lot of talent and experience to create.

Just like those who are foaming at the mouth about the game.  They have no clue about the complexity of these types of projects, nor any grasp of what it takes to create one. 

I'm always amused by the rabid hatred expressed by some of them, who in their ignorance wouldn't last a day in the typical development studio environment.   But then haters gota hate.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

They sure as hell now how to make you warm and fuzy !!!
    10/10 for ESO trailers......

Now Zenimax fix those damn bugs so i can complete me quests :) !!!!

• SaschamaroonSaschamaroon Member Posts: 1
    Have a look at FFXIV's opening cinematic...beautiful and totally relevant.
  • VulturnusVulturnus Member Posts: 36

Cinematics like this look amazing but do little other than show off how much money they have, I mean it has almost no link to the actual game... It must be expensive to produce something like this.

At least they saved on voice acting.

that said I bet there are 12 year olds who watch this and just have to have the game because of it.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Vulturnus

Cinematics like this look amazing but do little other than show off how much money they have, I mean it has almost no link to the actual game... It must be expensive to produce something like this.

At least they saved on voice acting.

that said I bet there are 12 year olds who watch this and just have to have the game because of it.

iirc, the SWTOR cinematics were 7 figures a pop.

But they were tied to events in TOR books, good series actually.  So they were more reenactments of known events in the timeline story.

I guess what I'm missing is a solid foundation for TESO background, other than every ES race hates each other and wants them dead, so they fight, and apparently thats all they do.  Camera shakes to show action, then it's over.  Mmmmkay.  It's like an action clip from a LOTR movie, but without any context.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• oakfootoakfoot Member UncommonPosts: 15

I thought the movies was pretty cool, although it's noting close to the actual game play. I beta'd this game and even after the third and final beta came and went, and we were all told the bugs or a lot of them had been fixed, it was clear they hadn't been and it made me wonder how long before they really do fix all of them and there were still a lot of the old bugs they said were fixed that obviously had not been fixed.

Still I think they got it as close to the stand alone as they could as far as game play go's for an MMO. 

I have to agree they should just create a full length movie for us, and not attempt to pass it off as actual game play. I don't think $60.00 US is a good price for this game nor do I feel like paying them another $15.00 US a month to beta it for them till they work out the still existing bugs is right.

If they'er smart and interested in making there money back and more, they'll make a game store with loads of goodies to buy with game cash, and go Premium / F2P with restrictions. like everyone else. 

Good luck ESO.

• MeerkatMeerkat Member UncommonPosts: 1

If I had only seen the trailer and the reviews I would so be buying this game! 

But I've played most of the betas and the trailer and the game play don't match up at all.  It didn't show the numerous people with lag so bad they just stood around while the zerg murdered them.  The skills that just stopped working at random times.  The low level character coming up against a high level character and being obliterated in less than a second.

The trailer is not indicative of the game experience and that makes me sad.