Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding crafting and gold - what am I doing wrong?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I really enjoy this game ALOT, but I have some problems with crafting.

I use very much time crafting blacksmith, woodworking and, clothing and Provision. In the 3 first proffessions I am currently level 3, while in Provision, which I spent little to no time really, I just went through the roof and is now level 7 Provisioner.

I really don't get why my blacksmith clothing or woodworking does allmost not level up. When I craft something, I can allmost not see it on my experience bar, while when I just make 1 recipe from Provisioner, it takes half a level, even at level 7.

What am I doing wrong? Why is my Blacksmith, Woodworking and Clothing so slow to level compared to Provisioner?

Also, how to really earn gold in this game? I am around level 10 and have 2500 gold. But all the gear I could sell, I use it for deconstructing instead to make my professions - are professions expensive to level up when you think about all the gear that you deconstruct?

I also upgraded for the Imperial Edition of the game... can anyone tell me if the Imperial armor sets are automatically unlocked or do I need to find the recipes?

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Blacksmith, woodwork etc have several ways to level, not just creating stuff but deconstruction, refining and improvement too.

Provisioning only has creation so making something gives more xp.

FYI Deconstruction gives best xp for blacksmith.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• drumchannelldrumchannell Member UncommonPosts: 182

Look for the ingot while crafting with the "+" and "-" signs. Raise the number of ingots to make higher level items and craft those since they reward more experience.

Also, some crafts are slower to level than others.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    You right click on armor or weapons in your inventory and choose convert to imperial style to you the imperial edition bonus. If it's already Imperial style the option won't appear.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Originally posted by stragen001
    Blacksmith, woodwork etc have several ways to level, not just creating stuff but deconstruction, refining and improvement too. Provisioning only has creation so making something gives more xp. FYI Deconstruction gives best xp for blacksmith.

Well, when I deconstruct I don't recall I can see the XP  bar moves. Sometimes I cannot deconstruct the gear that I have in my inventory... Is that because I am too low to deconstruct it?

Originally posted by drumchannell

Look for the ingot while crafting with the "+" and "-" signs. Raise the number of ingots to make higher level items and craft those since they reward more experience.

Also, some crafts are slower to level than others.

Well, I only create gear that is useable for my level.... Yet the xp bar just sligthly moves when I create gear, it is allmost unnoticeable.

Originally posted by Vannor
    You right click on armor or weapons in your inventory and choose convert to imperial style to you the imperial edition bonus. If it's already Imperial style the option won't appear.

So you don't have to craft it, it is just like transmorgrification ? Can I switch forth and back between Imperial style?

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

In my experience alchemy and provisioning are easy to keep up at the same level or even above your adventurer level without too much effort.

Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Clothing and Enchanting are much harder to do. Here you need a lot of additional effort (be a money, time or material wise) to even keep them remotely close to your adventurer level. For the first three it looks like deconstructing is the way to go. But not your own stuff, which gives little deconstruct xp. Drops and stuff crafted by others are much better. Even then it is slow.

For enchanting the bottleneck seem to be those round runes (sorry, forgt the name) which are rare compared to the other two runes you need.

It's more or less like in any MMO. Do crafting if you enjoy creating your own stuff. But it will cost you a lot of money/time and resources. Just buying the items you need or use drops (which are plentyfull at least while leveling) is much more effective and you will have lot's of money to spend for other things, like horses.

Well, to be fair I can actually craft gear for my level, so I guess that even though it is only level 3, that it is on par with my level. I just see all my other combat skills skyrocketing to level 11-14ish atm, so I was just worried.

Is it wise or stupid to spend alot of points into professions in the beginning? I feel I get my ass kicked easily now when I run around and do quests, and my gear is for my level.

Also, do you never get other looking gear than the stuff you can craft in the beginning? 

I still make the same gear look since I did in the beginning. It is the same items that I just use more mats on so I can craft higher level gear.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I've spent a good time crafting in game and truthfully,  if you never pay attention to crafting specifically, you could easily level blacksmith, clothing, and woodworking alongside your combat level and always have enough to make your gear.

Its the difference between breaking down EVERYTHING you don't need (save for what you can research)  and then crafting your specific gear or selling it to a merchant instead.

For blacksmithing and woodworking breaking down items, especially green and blue items (and probably purple too) gives you much more XP.

I've become determined to level enchanting, and it is BY FAR the toughest to level, even with my guilds seeding me materials.  The issue is,  that breaking down glyphs gives you very little XP, even if they are rare, green and blue,  but they give you much more then crafting green or blue glyphs it seems.  Or maybe it feels that way because those that drop are pretty high in abundance in later levels.

Then you have aspect runes which are tough to find,  but so are potency runes, or at least finding the ones you need to level steadily... just overall for the amount of time it takes to procure runes and create glyphs I do not find it proportionate at all to the other professions.  Even in alchemy if you fail you get a decent amount of XP just mixing and matching.  In enchanting breaking down glyphs you just created is worthless,  you have to trade another enchanter to make it even remotely worth it, and it seems most enchanters are stuck between level 6 and level 10 right now.  

Anyways, apart from that,  if you want to be good at blacksmithing and woodworking, really spec in to them with some skill points,  refine all the materials, (wood and ore are jokes to find they are seriously everywhere in comparison with runes)  And break down all of your gear that you aren't using... don't even worry about making high level stuff at the low levels (you don't need green and blue gear unless you have a ton of pitch or honing stones and then it doesn't matter)  and refine refine refine.

As you get out there and adventure more it makes it easy to come back and break items down and bank your materials because space is so limited.

Oh and you can get motif books out of houses and stuff ... they are random.. you'd be just as well off buying the, if theres a style you really like.. and the different ore looks better as you level even with the same styles.   The rate you'll find them seems to be skewed a bit, I haven't found a single one, but literally my guildy who looted the same space as me got one, and it was his 4th.  I'm level 33 and haven't found one yet.  But it isn't that important to me right now... I find style to be more of an end game thing.

That was a lot more than I wanted to write on the subject.. but..... there you go.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Compared to the other crafting professions Provisioning has a much faster skill gain. That's normal and working as intended.

Each profession eats up roundabout 35 bank/inventory slots when reached high level and having stored ressources for all levels. Enchanting is a little bit more complex and features 42 different runestones. I highly recommend you to focus on 2, maximum 3 crafting professions.

When leveling by deconstructing items, you should always try to deconstruct items that equal at least the amount of already achieved points in your profession. Also, it is highly advised to deconstruct dropped items or items of other player crafters. Deconstucting dropped items and items crafted by other players will gain you almost the double amount of inspiration points.

Doing 2 crafting professions and not becoming weak in PvE is easily possible.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I've spent a good time crafting in game and truthfully,  if you never pay attention to crafting specifically, you could easily level blacksmith, clothing, and woodworking alongside your combat level and always have enough to make your gear.

Its the difference between breaking down EVERYTHING you don't need (save for what you can research)  and then crafting your specific gear or selling it to a merchant instead. 

It's just, when I break down - I don't really see my bar move. Is it because the gear I currently get is too low to get xp from it? (BS level 3, gear level 8-10).

For blacksmithing and woodworking breaking down items, especially green and blue items (and probably purple too) gives you much more XP.

Maybe that is the reason. I am still low level so that is probably why I do not get many green items just yet.

Anyways, apart from that,  if you want to be good at blacksmithing and woodworking, really spec in to them with some skill points,  refine all the materials, (wood and ore are jokes to find they are seriously everywhere in comparison with runes)  And break down all of your gear that you aren't using... don't even worry about making high level stuff at the low levels (you don't need green and blue gear unless you have a ton of pitch or honing stones and then it doesn't matter)  and refine refine refine.

Should I just make alot of high level stuff for more xp or does it not matter?

As you get out there and adventure more it makes it easy to come back and break items down and bank your materials because space is so limited.

Yeah bag space is very limited. I farm mats for alle professions, and my god my bag space is killing me!

Oh and you can get motif books out of houses and stuff ... they are random.. you'd be just as well off buying the, if theres a style you really like.. and the different ore looks better as you level even with the same styles.   The rate you'll find them seems to be skewed a bit, I haven't found a single one, but literally my guildy who looted the same space as me got one, and it was his 4th.  I'm level 33 and haven't found one yet.  But it isn't that important to me right now... I find style to be more of an end game thing.

Yeah I always check book shelfs.

But I thought that books found etc were static? Is it really random where you read stuff from? So I could go back to a place that I have already been, and maybe find a new book that yields xp?

----

Oh and also, allmost forgot. Sometimes I cannot deconstruct items that I have received or dropped for me.. Is that because I am not a high enough level?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

It's just, when I break down - I don't really see my bar move. Is it because the gear I currently get is too low to get xp from it? (BS level 3, gear level 8-10).

Maybe that is the reason. I am still low level so that is probably why I do not get many green items just yet.

Should I just make alot of high level stuff for more xp or does it not matter?

Yeah bag space is very limited. I farm mats for alle professions, and my god my bag space is killing me!

Yeah I always check book shelfs.

But I thought that books found etc were static? Is it really random where you read stuff from? So I could go back to a place that I have already been, and maybe find a new book that yields xp?

----

Oh and also, allmost forgot. Sometimes I cannot deconstruct items that I have received or dropped for me.. Is that because I am not a high enough level?

Well when breaking down items you should see your bar move,  even at low levels, but I would stand to bet you just aren't getting enough items or green or blue items.. this all opens up...  and eventually you'll want more bag space to hold all of the important items.   White items don't give much but they still do pretty well overall.

The motifs aren't really "books" as in checking bookshelf books,  you should be checking tons of containers too.. crates, drawers,  everything.  Books are static,  though I think they are also area restricted as you get into higher levels you'll still find books you haven't read yet for points.

If you can't deconstruct an item,  just sell that item,  to be honest I'm not sure why some items aren't able to be deconstructed,  but you can always just sell those, as you'll need money for bag upgrades and bank upgrades.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

When you craft a steel dagger, you get 350 BS exp. When you deconstruct the same dagger YOU made you get 100 XP.

If you deconstruct a steel dagger someone else made (same level) you get 750 BS exp.

When you decon your own stuff you get minimal XP. That's to keep people from just grinding making them and then breaking them

Those EXP numbers above aren't exact but they are pretty close

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Don't panic !

You will get pitiful amounts of XP for Deconstructing L3 or L4 gear, but that improves substantially as the gear level increases. Your "starting skills" will allow you to craft gear from Tier 1 (L1-L14)  resources, so your adventuring level is covered very nicely.

You only need L5 to learn the next Tier material skills, which will cover you from L15-L24 gear iirc. Getting to L5 in Blacksmithing is easy when you're getting 400-500 XP per "green" item deconstruct, which is what you get for L10+ loot. The higher the level of the item, the more the XP. The amount of XP seems to be tied to the level of the item being crafted/deconstructed, not to the level of the crafter performing the action.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Dont break down gear that you make, you get VERY little exp for breaking down your own crafted gear.  Break down gear crafted by other players or from drops, you get alot more exp

Also Provisioning and Alchemy level VERY  VERY fast.  A few people in my guild are only lvl 16 but have lvl 50 provisioning.