Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game dead?

I was just wondering if this game sill has a decent population never played it before.

Comments

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274

Ya it still has a pretty loyal base. Its really easy to get stuff done if you are willing to lead, it seems like leaders are lacking in the LOTRO community. Right now nothing new was really introduced with the new expansion and it kinda drained the numbers a little some people taking a break.

They pushed the new Helms Deep content which I personally like but not many people did. No new raids.

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    Alright well atleast it has a decent population. 
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Not dead, but I just don't see the point of starting up at this point.
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    I just reloaded it up for the first time in a year or two and was pleasantly surprised that there were plenty of people in the low zones and moria (the last expansion I had bought).  A great deal of the game has changed and zones where I had toons parked and had been through multiple times in the past are now closed off to me unless I go buy em from the store or sub.  That was enough to turn me off.  I had purchased this game, had access to all these areas, and now I don't.  That's bs right there so I went ahead and uninstalled.  Glad I went and checked out all the zones they had stolen before i dumped cash into it for the new expansions. 
  • ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Not dead, but I just don't see the point of starting up at this point.

Why is that I never played it before? 

Originally posted by severius
    I just reloaded it up for the first time in a year or two and was pleasantly surprised that there were plenty of people in the low zones and moria (the last expansion I had bought).  A great deal of the game has changed and zones where I had toons parked and had been through multiple times in the past are now closed off to me unless I go buy em from the store or sub.  That was enough to turn me off.  I had purchased this game, had access to all these areas, and now I don't.  That's bs right there so I went ahead and uninstalled.  Glad I went and checked out all the zones they had stolen before i dumped cash into it for the new expansions. 

They didnt steal it from you. You must of had a subscription, you get all areas free, besides expansions, for free when you do. You always had to buy the 20+ areas once it went Free to play, meaning those areas already had a cost to them.

Originally posted by Stizzled

Yep, that was the biggest piece of BS that I've experienced so far. Of course, back then during the switch it was okay. Everyone told all of us who were complaining about losing content that we had already payed for to shut up. They told us that we didn't own the content and we had only rented it, thus we now had to actually purchase it.

That was the last time I ever even thought about paying a subscription. It's a complete ripoff, or at least it was for LotRO. Now, I stick to F2P games where, when I make a purchase, what I buy is mine until the servers go offline.

Thats how lotro is....Once you buy an area you have it for life on that character. You also get free TP for playing the game. You can go through the game without spending 1 cent.

• rokfordrokford Member UncommonPosts: 3

If you have never played it before its definitely worth checking out. Keep in mind that lotro is now solo mmo. You don't need group for anything, so you can play it as single player game.

Story is great, especially if you take your time to read the quests. World is very immersive and beautiful, with great looking landscapes and huge areas.

Don't let character models turn you away from this game. They are pretty horrible, but you can get used to them after a while.

Its one of these games I both love and hate. Love for the immersion, world and atmosphere and hate because they completely abandoned the grouping aspect (no new dungeons/raids, the same old instances every expansion, just scaled to max level).

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"Is this game dead?" - Far from it.  (without brackets, 'cos I never liked that movie so it's not a quote :) )

Update13 arrives in a week for example, and the last expansion launched a few months ago, doesn't seem like a dead game to me...

"I was just wondering if this game sill has a decent population" - it has indeed, and not only decent in numbers, LotRO has a mature and friendly playerbase (both on the Rp servers and the regular ones too).

If you're from US, the most frequent recommendation is Brandywine or Landroval (Rp) for the highest population numbers, but I'd add Crickhollow and Arkenstone as well, based on their "Hobbit to Isengard" run those two have a nicely organised playerbase :)

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Creatorzim

Yep, that was the biggest piece of BS that I've experienced so far. Of course, back then during the switch it was okay. Everyone told all of us who were complaining about losing content that we had already payed for to shut up. They told us that we didn't own the content and we had only rented it, thus we now had to actually purchase it.

That was the last time I ever even thought about paying a subscription. It's a complete ripoff, or at least it was for LotRO. Now, I stick to F2P games where, when I make a purchase, what I buy is mine until the servers go offline.

Thats how lotro is....Once you buy an area you have it for life on that character. You also get free TP for playing the game. You can go through the game without spending 1 cent.

Yeah, that's how it is now that it's F2P. But, they won't be getting another dime from me after taking away content that I already payed for, and yes that's exactly what they did.

There is no difference between the base game and an expansion. When the game switched to F2P I kept every bit of content in the Moria expansion because I had previously purchased it. Likewise, I should have kept every bit of content in the original Shadows of Angmar because I had already purchased it.

Yeah i don't get this. Once i stopped subbing i lost everything i had paid for. People keep saying you can play without spending money but thats a lie. They shouldn't call it f2p when they try to force you to buy the game content. Its a really bad f2p model. Once you go past lvl 25 get ready to open your wallet. The only thing free after that is the book quest. Every area you go in will have all the quest npc's with store unlocks over there heads.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by Creatorzim

Yeah, that's how it is now that it's F2P. But, they won't be getting another dime from me after taking away content that I already payed for, and yes that's exactly what they did.

There is no difference between the base game and an expansion. When the game switched to F2P I kept every bit of content in the Moria expansion because I had previously purchased it. Likewise, I should have kept every bit of content in the original Shadows of Angmar because I had already purchased it.

Yeah i don't get this. Once i stopped subbing i lost everything i had paid for. People keep saying you can play without spending money but thats a lie. They shouldn't call it f2p when they try to force you to buy the game content. Its a really bad f2p model. Once you go past lvl 25 get ready to open your wallet. The only thing free after that is the book quest. Every area you go in will have all the quest npc's with store unlocks over there heads.

Just earn free TP and you wont have to spend any money. TP is super easy to farm. You can level up to max without spending any money what so ever. Theres only very little things that you cant get with TP that you farmed for which is some of the perks you get from subscribing.

Originally posted by Deathsmind
    Originally posted by Hariken

Just earn free TP and you wont have to spend any money. TP is super easy to farm. You can level up to max without spending any money what so ever. Theres only very little things that you cant get with TP that you farmed for which is some of the perks you get from subscribing.

Funny to see this from an ex-subscriber... maybe for a newcomer f2p player the restrictions are a bit tough (if not using the 1month vip route), but a former player has everything unlocked except the quest packs, which are a one-time purchase... And returning subscribers usually get some TPs by default (based on how long were they subscribers before the f2p switch), not to mention TP earning is easy in the game, as Deathsmind wrote too.

LotRO has a model where you really can get everything unlocked for TPs (and if you get the TPs from playing the game then it literally means for free). The last big vip-only perk (PvMP) was lifted too with U13.

• huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Well I returned (Lifttime member) and having a good time in it , I would recommend that you find a good kinship as you lvl that does help .
  • Insurgent99Insurgent99 Member Posts: 58

LOTRO is one of the only MMOs still around that has a difficult leveling curve. The first 20 or so levels come quick, but after that it is a brutal grind to make any progress. You will literally have hundreds of " kill x number of wolves/spiders/orcs/boars" quests you will need to do.

I have been playing off and on for years now and I am only just in Moria at level 48 or so. =P

If you have a character on Nimrodel, tonight (afternoon by US time) will be the last Hobbit to Isengard run. (so far Eldar is the fastest server)

Since frickinmuck posted the idea on the forum for this last run, I expect there will be lots of chickens tonight :)

edit: also, the xp was boosted at least two times in the last years, there's even an xp-disabler now for those who doesn't like to outlevel every region in the middle of its questline. You get xp for crafting, for gathering, even for having fun on the festivals... but the kill X mobs quests are still there, of course. You just able to skip lots of them if you like.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    Originally posted by Insurgent99

LOTRO is one of the only MMOs still around that has a difficult leveling curve. The first 20 or so levels come quick, but after that it is a brutal grind to make any progress. You will literally have hundreds of " kill x number of wolves/spiders/orcs/boars" quests you will need to do.

I have been playing off and on for years now and I am only just in Moria at level 48 or so. =P

It is brutal, IMHO. I've played for 6 years and I was at the level cap once, at 65, my highest is 81 (out of 95) and there are going to be 2 more level cap raises this year, apparently, to 105.

Meanwhile, in SWTOR, after subbing for 2 months, I have two level cap characters (55). They seem to be raising it at 5 levels per year, which is much more manageable than 10

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Viadric

It really depends on what you call "decent". It is nowhere near what it once was but it ain't dead either. I think I heard it cough a bit though but it is free so why not download it and check out if it is enough for you  yourself?

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

I try to be simple in my opinion:

Lotro is one of the best themepark MMORPG around.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Viadric

It really depends on what you call "decent". It is nowhere near what it once was but it ain't dead either. I think I heard it cough a bit though but it is free so why not download it and check out if it is enough for you  yourself?

Yep, there's still plenty of folks in there, yesterday on the last hobbit run there were some layering even, with lag spikes at the chokepoints... http://postimg.org/image/urxoc4e7z/

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    The game is not dead but stinketh, like the old Irishman use to say.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• snoochemssnoochems Member Posts: 2

Not sure how anyone can claim that this game is not dead. 

I was once a big fan - they've killed it with the Big Battle system and lack of real group content where you actually get to play in your characters role.  Helms Deep was effectively LOTROs NGE.

There are no raids/instances planned at all, nor are there any expansions planned.  This, despite the fact that they introduced the skill trees with the excuse that it will allow the devs to design better content.  Now everything is easy-mode.  I could solo 12 man skirmishes on my Captain.  You get the same loot on the hardest raid as you would on a soloable 3 man instance.  

Every update since the HD expansion has been extremely light on.  I mean, they have STILL NOT UPDATED THE TIER 9 CRAFTING ICONS!  The lottery system has not been replaced since a power outage cooked it, and they haven't even removed the links from the website. 

This is not surprising as a large number of developers where let go earlier this year, and others are being distracted by the doomed-to-fail MOBA that Turdbine are wasting they're resources on. 

The final nail is that they (sapience) has effectively killed the forums.  Anyone with anything critical to say is banned with an effective 0 tolerance policy.  New players are not even allowed to post on the main forums. 

• F2Pelerin118F2Pelerin118 Member UncommonPosts: 124

I got the urge to play LotRO again a couple of days ago (haven't played in years) and have been really surprised at how many players I see around, I was expecting the game to be empty - but it seems there are still a lot of people playing. (on the Brandywine server at least, can't say for the others)

Doesn't seem dead at all.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I have lifetime membership as I am big Tolkien fan, but my highest character is just level 63. The grind killed it for me. I love the world and I love the mood of the game but character creation lacks and for some reason I cannot merge myself with any class in LOTRO like I am able in SWTOR and TSW. I wish they revamped character creation and animations. It would make a big difference for me.

I always fancy that I revisit game one day when I have absolutely nothing to do, but with TSW Tokyo expansion, Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3 and new SWTOR expansion coming it's not going to be anytime soon.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I only played it for a week or so a couple of months ago.  I didn't really care for it, but there seemed to be players wherever I went, so it isn't completely dead.

I self identify as a monkey.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Very much alive and kicking. I constantly return to this game despite playing GW2 and trying the new offers on the market.  It continues to be one of the best themepark games around.