Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smooth launch - LOL - ESO forces users to pay subscription for Free Month

Comments

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    I am so glad you took the time to make yet another post about this.... Thank you, i would be lost not readin 20+ threads about the same damned whine.

Lolipops !

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Voiidiin
    I am so glad you took the time to make yet another post about this.... Thank you, i would be lost not readin 20+ threads about the same damned whine.

It was never a whine though, rather a serious complaint.  A free month included should mean a free month included, and not free only if you set up a payment plan.

What part of free do some people not understand?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by Karteli

It was never a whine though, rather a serious complaint.  A free month included should mean a free month included, and not free only if you set up a payment plan.

Its pretty standard to give credit card details when getting your free months. As long as you cancel your sub before the free months is over you wont get charged.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Molok problem is that people got charged up front.
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192

Well, the lead dev did PROMISE a 'polished' launch remember?

Why he made such a claim, when we all knew "something" would go wrong, is mind boggling. Stuff always goes wrong during MMO launches. That seemed to be just asking for trouble.

Besides, people are used to being served up mediocrity now. We expect unfinished games and to pay full price for them. Just see the 20+ threads defending and justifying all the games issues. Why MMO's get a free pass to put out unfinished garbage is beyond me. (It's not just this game mind you - they are almost all guilty of this).

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by MoLoK_

Its pretty standard to give credit card details when getting your free months. As long as you cancel your sub before the free months is over you wont get charged.

Yes but upfront charge of fee isn't the standard.

Anyways this problem has been fixed please close this topic.

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

Pritty much this.

This is a very, very serious question that will, in the end, hurt subscription numbers. While the game is ( for me at least ) very fun things like this concern me as a customer. Also complete lack of communication from Zenimax concerns me even more.

Im sure it will all work out in the end. However damage has been made and lack of communication is making it worse then it needs to be.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

This was fixed eons ago, people charged got their money back.

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

How did it get fixed please enlighten me? 

Don't you ever ask WHY?

It's standard so it's OK.

Why bother inserting your financials into a databse when it's not necessary if you own the master key for the discs?  For the sake of letting someone else store your info in their database?  Of course, it's standard.  Zzzz......

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I subscribed for 2 moths and got 89 days so its 60+29 days so 29 days are with the game purchase.

if you don't like it don't buy it or play it.

Don't you ever ask WHY?

Why bother inserting your financials into a databse when it's not necessary if you own the master key for the discs?  For the sake of letting someone else store your info in their database?  Of course, it's standard.  Zzzz......

Than magically 30 days later your account gets hit for $15. 

Different topic.  You can't make this one go away.  Did you even read the OP's link?

Originally posted by Viadric

Don't you ever ask WHY?

Than magically 30 days later your account gets hit for $15. 

We're talkin now, bub, not in 30 days.  Why is a credit card required to sign up for a free account?  Please try to follow.

Mistakes wouldn't even happen if certain boneheads never had CC info to start with.

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by kishe

This was fixed eons ago, people charged got their money back.

Please inform thousand of people that are unable to activate their accounts for various reasons.

I`m confident they will enjoy you`r insight on this matter.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

I subscribed for 2 moths and got 89 days so its 60+29 days so 29 days are with the game purchase.

if you don't like it don't buy it or play it.

I will play it when it hits free to play in six months. I mean come on it's day one and the game already is selling mounts through cash shop. They are going to milk the shit out of this game and than hit it with f2p conversion. Atleast in 6 months they will have bugs kinked out. 

What? A game is selling special items like mounts as part of upgrading to  a special edition? OMFG that has NEVER happened int he history of MMOs. What are they thinking...

Seriously do you people even think before speaking / typing, or are you just THAT new to MMOs?

• DatLigBoiDatLigBoi Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by MikeB

I feel like there is a heavy case of selective memory going on around here. As many others have stated, requiring billing information (game card or credit/paypal) in order to activate your account has been standard practice for sub-based MMOs for probably as long as they have been around. Manufactured outrage over non-issues may as well be trolling for a rise out of people, so we're going to go ahead and lock this one up.

Beautiful quote from MikeB on this thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/409502/page/9

Thread is locked........so should this one

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

ESO forces users to pay subscription for Free Month

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/06/the-elder-scrolls-online-running-into-issues-with-its-free-subsc/

The problem is, it´s outdated and was fixed within a day.

I bought the game on saturday, entered my key and setup my Subscription via PayPal.

All it did was a temporary charge to check the card and it was instantly canceled after that.

So no Money was withdrawn from my actual account.

As had been said, many Companies do this to validate the user and credit card.

• dag220dag220 Member Posts: 5

Seriously. . . .?  They "FORCED" you ? . . . . HOW ?

In my opinion, if you cant afford a month of ESO, gtfo!

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    It also seems people are quite incapable of reading the ToS on ESOs page. It takes the 15 bucks then it will put it back i nto your account it is to prevent those who will use fraud credit cards and such it lets the owner see the charge but the money is returned...IF ITS NOT then they advized to send a ticket and they will correct it.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

Guys the game will go F2P in six months so just wait atleast by than they will have more content and fixed bugs unlike all the broken quests people are experiencing atm. I mean come on day one microtransaction cash shop. This is bound for F2P with cash shop. 

What cash shop? There isn´t a cash shop ingame.

Just the online store where you can buy one slow standard Mount or the Imperial Edition Upgrade. That´s it.

Not like Blizzard and SOE has been doing it for years in their subscription based MMO´s.

( and when it comes to SOE.... yes their games are Freemium now, but the cash shop existed for years before that. )

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Guys the game will go F2P in six months so just wait atleast by than they will have more content and fixed bugs unlike all the broken quests people are experiencing atm. I mean come on day one microtransaction cash shop. This is bound for F2P with cash shop. 

What cash shop? There isn´t a cash shop ingame.

Just the online store where you can buy one slow standard Mount or the Imperial Edition Upgrade. That´s it.

Not like Blizzard and SOE has been doing it for years in their subscription based MMO´s.

( and when it comes to SOE.... yes their games are Freemium now, but the cash shop existed for years before that. )

Doesn't matter it's bound to go F2P only mmo to really survive a sub with out F2P is WOW. ESO will never reach that number maybe 3-4 million tops in it's first 30 days, but when that time to sub hits expect a big decrease in population. It's just how mmo's are now in days. That's why EverQuest and Arche Age knows better and are releasing straight away as F2P with cash shop. 

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Except they never actually charge you the month, it IS free, its an Auth charge, and it can be read in the FAQ on their website.

Originally posted by Stizzled

Different topic.  You can't make this one go away.  Did you even read the OP's link?

Um, did you read the article? The upfront, full price, charge is exactly what the linked article is about.

The problem only existed for one day. They charged and they waited to long to cancel the pre-charge, so Money was actually withdrawn from the account and then People have to wait up to 3 days or so to get it back.

Now after they fixed it (again they did it within a day), the temp charge gets canceled instantly after, so Your account isn´t charged anymore.

This is standard practice for ages and nothing New.

Like has been said many times, it´s a standard security messure to check the account is valid and no fraudulent credit card is used.

Originally posted by Stimz
    Except they never actually charge you the month, it IS free, its an Auth charge, and it can be read in the FAQ on their website.

Lol I don't believe it some people have already complained that they were actually charged for a sub fee on their bank account statement and have been trying to contact support for hours. 

This discussion has been closed.