Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

eso DOES have a cash shop...

XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105

Hello,

Just visited the ESO shop as I was managing my account and found something disturbing - I don't know about you guys but...

How to explain...

In F2P's like TERA you buy mounts for real money ,

A game like ESO seems to do it on top of the subscription???

Do you think this is just the beginning and they will sell more mounts/items that way, even tho we pay a sub, or do you think this mount is a one shot thing only at release?

Do you like the idea of paying for a sub + cash shop in order to get items that are too expensive in game? Or should this mechanic stay in the world of F2P's? Or is it a new breed of MMO's that will combine F2P cash shops & sub, and F2P will die in the end?

EDIT: could be that other sub-model MMO's did it before but I don't have any example in mind...or don't remind any...a list would be appreciated - if any - is this something new or not? I don't feel like it's a good thing anyway :/

Comments

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

Yeeeeeah, this is old news OP. Just letting you know before the thread, inevitably, goes out of control. Not only did we know about the horse, but Zenimax already confrimed they'll be adding vanity pets next. 

Queue flame wars in 3...2...1...

Popcorn (Stephen Colbert)

EDIT: Didn't even notice it was 12 eurso. Damm Zenimax. I know you're going to put more stuff in but asking the same price of the sub for a horse when you're still P2P and just launched is quite "milky". Don't tell me vanity pets will be 5 euros each.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Expect any mmo using a cash shop of some sort.
    welcome to 2014

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Expect any mmo using a cash shop of some sort.
    welcome to 2014

I thought only F2P's would...damn, I'm getting old :)

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

GAMES are MADE to MAKE MONEY, not provide a PUBLIC SERVICE to game players!

Geesh!

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Hey hey hey, you guys got it all wrong.

Zenimax said there will be no cash shop - only a shop for extended service!!

Harbinger of Fools
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

I like how so many people bash cash shops, then buy a game like TESO that ends up having a cash shop after all, and then they become overnight fanboi's and now defend it vehemently because of their monetary investment in the game. 

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by epoq

I like how so many people bash cash shops, then buy a game like TESO that ends up having a cash shop after all, and then they become overnight fanboi's and now defend it vehemently because of their monetary investment in the game. 

true story bro...amen......and all those who are talking shit that these poor devs need to make money is bullshit.....when they go B2P they make enough money (GW2 stil rolling strong), when they go F2P with cash shop they get enough money (see Tera and some others), if they go sub they make plenty of money too ( WOW anyone....altough they also greedy fucks )......so combining SUB AND shop is just being over.the.top.EA.fucking.greedy.

i'll go ESO when they go F2P and the cash shop is then a valid agrument for income......but sub+shop = no go for me even tough it is a fairly good game.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by oubers

true story bro...amen......and all those who are talking shit that these poor devs need to make money is bullshit.....when they go B2P they make enough money (GW2 stil rolling strong), when they go F2P with cash shop they get enough money (see Tera and some others), if they go sub they make plenty of money too ( WOW anyone....altough they also greedy fucks )......so combining SUB AND shop is just being over.the.top.EA.fucking.greedy.

i'll go ESO when they go F2P and the cash shop is then a valid agrument for income......but sub+shop = no go for me even tough it is a fairly good game.

How so?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

This. Although, I don't like it.. But I've seen plenty of people who said something like this: 'I really don't like that cash shop. I know it's going to expand at some point, introducing much more than just services. I don't want to support that... But I really want to play the game. Guess it's okay if I buy it and then complain afterwards..'

Truth is, if you don't want a cash shop in your subscription game DON'T BUY THE GAME! In this case, Zenimax was well aware of the controversies the decision to include a cash shop created. By buying the game, knowing full well that it would include a cash shop, you're validating Zenimax's choice to have one. As long as you're paying the monthly fee you can complain as loud as you possibly can - they don't give a **** about your personal preferences as long as you're still putting money in their pocket. This is a business and Zenimax will ALWAYS try to maximize their profits. If they can introduce an additional source of income that is accepted by the playerbase they will always see how far they can puch the limits.

And maybe I'm cynical.. Maybe I see ghosts where there aren't any.. But this is just the first step of large plan. If ESO had launched with a cash shop equal in size to the one in WoW I'm sure there'd be much more uproar. They're simply introducing bits and pieces one step at a time. And why wouldn't they? As long as you keep paying that monthly fee they don't really care about your wants and needs..

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

This is wrong on so many levels, yet i'm sure people will find a way to justify it.

Let's put this in perspective, you pay a monthly fee to have access to the games content, there is no f2p model therefore you get no benefits over other players for being a "subscriber" so you should in fact be paying for ALL content. I can see this being ok if there was a f2p option, but they have people locked in with a subscription and a cash shop, I find it quite funny on many levels.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I expect every significant MMO released today and going forward to attempt to maximize their revenue streams by employing any combination of kickstarter, early alpha access, pre-orders, special editions/bonuses, subs, cash shops, services etc to make it happen.  Which ones will vary  from game to game, and of course, the financial fortunes of the title will result in changes to the payment models over time.

As someone else said, welcome to 2014.

Many of you have only yourselves to thank (or blame) for this.

Me, I would have been happy to pay for the initial box purchase and a regular monthly subs for all the content, (somewhat like EVE, but even they charge for services and cosmetic items) but those days are long gone and not likely to ever return.  The genie (or perhaps djinn) has been let out of the bottle and there's no putting him back.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Braindome

This is wrong on so many levels, yet i'm sure people will find a way to justify it.

Doesn't need to be justified. I've seen people TRY and explain it's wrong but failing horribly. Rather funny.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    old good mmo's are gone,when with sub we got full game acces
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    wait, cash shop is already up? where can i access the cash shop at? cause i cant see it on the website?

So What Now?

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

This is very true, some of the most anti cash shop players I've seen recently had one added to their game and suddenly it's a good thing.

Having said that almost every MMO, sub or not has a cash shop for at least cosmetics, some go worse and offer things in cash shops that effect gameplay (FFXIV recently did this).

Those that don't are moving in that direction.  As sad as it is to say, players seem to want this.  The desire to buy nice looking things is mainly being pushed by casual players, more hardcore players prefer to get them via in-game means.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Elfahiar

Hello,

Just visited the ESO shop as I was managing my account and found something disturbing - I don't know about you guys but...

How to explain...

In F2P's like TERA you buy mounts for real money ,

A game like ESO seems to do it on top of the subscription???

Do you think this is just the beginning and they will sell more mounts/items that way, even tho we pay a sub, or do you think this mount is a one shot thing only at release?

Do you like the idea of paying for a sub + cash shop in order to get items that are too expensive in game? Or should this mechanic stay in the world of F2P's? Or is it a new breed of MMO's that will combine F2P cash shops & sub, and F2P will die in the end?

EDIT: could be that other sub-model MMO's did it before but I don't have any example in mind...or don't remind any...a list would be appreciated - if any - is this something new or not? I don't feel like it's a good thing anyway :/

Cash Shop should not be a problem, there is only a problem when they start selling items that give those players advantages that others can not match by earning/crafting ingame.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by amber-r

This is very true, some of the most anti cash shop players I've seen recently had one added to their game and suddenly it's a good thing.

Having said that almost every MMO, sub or not has a cash shop for at least cosmetics, some go worse and offer things in cash shops that effect gameplay (FFXIV recently did this).

Those that don't are moving in that direction.  As sad as it is to say, players seem to want this.  The desire to buy nice looking things is mainly being pushed by casual players, more hardcore players prefer to get them via in-game means.

When did FFXIV get a cash shop? O_O 

I knew they had transfers, but didn't know about other payment options

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by oubers

How so?

because they have a sub and still selling 20 dollar mounts that's why.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

As long as it's Mounts and vanity pets. I could care less!

Blizzard and SOE have been doing it for years now in their MMO's.

Nothing New.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I don't mind cash shops as long as the items provide no advantage over other players. HOWEVER introducing a day one cash shop on a subscription based MMO is concerning. Not because I would fear for the games life-span but more to do with how quickly these things become toxic. 

First and foremost this is a mount, something I would consider to be an in-game item considering your subscription fee is meant to help finance the game so content is made. It is cheeky that game companies use YOUR money to pay artists and animators to make content to sell back to you. If they want to go down that payment model, then go F2P. 

Sub based games should have a cash shop for services like, transfers, change your characters look etc because those things I would consider a customer service issue where someone is taking the time to correct something you wish to change. 

I shall see where this develops but if more cash shop items come out than actual content then I would jump ship to be honest, I am paying a sub to keep content being made and keep me invested, but I will not have it shoved down my throat about purchasing vanity content which I have in theory already paid for. 

• hg2012hg2012 Member Posts: 69

Even EAware doesn't charge 12 euros for a recoloured mount in swtor and that's F2P.

For those who said the subscription would remove the need for this crap:

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I ignore cash shops, if everyone else did... they wouldn't exist.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

This discussion has been closed.