Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Elder Scrolls Online: Review in Progress Part 1

Comments

• GantherGanther Member Posts: 4

Can someone tell me if the quests in ESO are 10x style quests?

I don't want to spend money on another game if the quests are 10x style,  I liked Skyrim on the PS3 and the quests made since, they  belonged to the story line..

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Ganther

Can someone tell me if the quests in ESO are 10x style quests?

I don't want to spend money on another game if the quests are 10x style,  I liked Skyrim on the PS3 and the quests made since, they  belonged to the story line..

No, they aren't. Most quests you can could sneak around without killing anything and do the objective, if you can manage it. Sometimes there are impassable mobs or you need to kill one certain mobs though.. sometimes you might have to kill things to get what you need but there is often more than one method of getting them.. but not always. There are very few quests that tell you to kill this many of that. Most kill quests in the game are just to kill one certain target, a named mob. Obviously you'll end up killing things though...

Basically, the quests are like in Skyrim.. except you usually pick them up at the actual quest location, but not always. They all have a full story and are fully voiced.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Bill Murphey you are a man after  my own heart.   You are 100% spot on.  I think the minority of haters who are the most vocal will probably scream at you like they did me though.

Considering the lashing they gave SOE for their views on F2P I can calmly say that this review is paid for as both meet the obvious agenda... now we only need to see if you are that in love with the game or merely that much of a hopeless idealist... this game is gonna sink with people like you running around proclaiming it the 2nd coming alone.

Except they once had that mmo with all the scantily clad women (and I believe nudity) that advertised up a storm and they panned it.

I would dare say that it was advertised far more than Elder Scrolls Online (scarlet blade is what I thnk it was calle).

So I don't really buy the "these reviews are paid for".

I think it's more "unbridled enthusiasm".

Yup you are referring to Scarlet Blade and while they panned it I also rather doubt the developers cared that much if they did because lets be honest that game was banking on sex appeal not mechanics, story, etc.

Also the ad part of the site is not linked to the review side in a direct manner, basically who decides which MMO will get a good review and who decides what ads get thrown up here are not the same person.

That said assuming your idea of enthusiam ... professionals are not allowed to have opinions so colored by  "enthusiasm" ... Christ if I want that I will look on youtube at gameplay videos from 15-17 year olds who are just now getting an MMO worth something.

I'm a firm believer that a reviewer can review a product, movie, "whatever" and be excited and enthusiastic but do his/her job and talk about things that are issues or things that people won't like.

I'm not going to review Bill's review as 1, it's not necessary, and 2, I also believe that all reviews allow us are a shanpshot of the subject from one person's point of view and it's our job to find the bits that pertain to us.

I do think some of the reviews here could be longer and a bit more in depth but perhaps that isn't possible given whatever stipulations are put upon the reviewer.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GantherGanther Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply Vannor, I don't mind killing, its the go gather x of this or kill x of that I can't stand almost all MMORPG's use those style quests. I am glad to hear ESO does not.. I may need to try this out sooner than later

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm a firm believer that a reviewer can review a product, movie, "whatever" and be excited and enthusiastic but do his/her job and talk about things that are issues or things that people won't like.

That is a very good statement.

Unfortunately it's core doesn't apply to professional journalism for reasons we all know about. And this website is no exception.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    There is nothing more useless to the MMO community then a review in progress. You had months worth of beta to review the game and it's changed very little since then. Are you afraid of effecting sales or did you straight up get bullied into holding off like FFXIV?
  • ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Just FYI. There is no shortage if gold if you craft or trade. I broke 30,000 gold on the second day of head start and bought my 43,000 horse on day three. This from mostly searching every container in cities for 12 hours a day for 2 days and selling the rare drop racial motif books. If you want to sell rares, join multiple trade guilds and buy from one and sell in the other, sell ore, there is no problem making money. In fact I would say that there should be more money sinks.

The average player will never ever EVER play for 12 hours a day. That's insane.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    I really hope you don't disregard the poor leveling pace and awful quest rewards in your full review.
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Great review.  I bought the game not expecting anything spectacular. I know according to some, this game was destined to fail. It quests like SWTOR, it combats like GW2, it RvR's like DAOC...it's supposed to be just another themepark on a rail game.  

But for whatever reasons, the combinations Zenimax chose to combine into this game, it is working.  This is not SWTOR, this isn't GW2, this isn't DAOC.  This is ESO with their own twist, their own ways to draw you in and keep you engaged and immersed.  Bottom line is I'm having fun, despite the little things here and there. I can't stop playing, even though I'm still not 100% used to the combat system. I briefly went into Cyrodiil for some PvP and I didn't leave until 6am in the morning when I couldn't stay awake anymore.

This is one of those rare gems that wasn't supposed to happen, but it did. If you read around, you'll find a lot of people saying they are pleasantly surprised by this game.  That they are liking this game more than they thought they would.  I think we're mostly in the same boat, we're all pleasantly surprised by whatever combinations Zenimax chose to put into this game.  Because it is working, and we're addicted, we're having fun.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss
    I really hope you don't disregard the poor leveling pace and awful quest rewards in your full review.

Neither of which are problematic. Leveling shouldn't be instant and the rewards are good.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    [mod edit ]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Does not mention either of the two current, massive, issues with the game namely:

*the regions where people are getting rollbacked constantly;

*the reports of the server logging people into the wrong accounts.

Objectivity would require full disclosure of issues, either partially or fully confirmed. This has not happened which either implies incompetence or secondary motives.

or the third, he wasn't aware or thought they were fixed?

I mean, you "conveniently" left out that option. Should we accuse you of having other motives because of you neglecting to include that? I would hope not.

Also, as far as I am aware, they fixed the logging into accounts issue when they discovered it.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by JimmyYO
    There is nothing more useless to the MMO community then a review in progress. You had months worth of beta to review the game and it's changed very little since then. Are you afraid of effecting sales or did you straight up get bullied into holding off like FFXIV?

Just about every site in existence does this MMO review over-time process now. Most likely because everyone used to scream that "you can't see what an MMO offers in a couple hours of play!".

Does not mention either of the two current, massive, issues with the game namely:

Objectivity would require full disclosure of issues, either partially or fully confirmed. This has not happened which either implies incompetence or secondary motives.

I mean, you "conveniently" left out that option. Should we accuse you of having other motives because of you neglecting to include that? I would hope not.

Also, as far as I am aware, they fixed the logging into accounts issue when they discovered it.

Funny part is that it does mention it

"Worse still, there was an issue late Tuesday night into Wednesday which caused a lengthy 12+ hour downtime. Players were getting disconnected from the game and then logging back into someone else’s account by no fault of their own. The downtime also added in a patch which fixed a lot of my above issues, but chances are the real reason was to fix whatever database error caused the whole giant security mess."

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

There's a very good reason I do not read reviews for mainstream/AAA MMOs:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178

Looks glowing doesn't it? Now they may have changed but with one of the more catastrophic issues found and fixed not being mentioned in the list found in this review (and the patcher issue continues, multiple people had to download over a dozen gigs last night due to a patch) I am of the opinion that this "review" has either been paid for or is the result of someone incapable of maintaining the modicum of objectivity required to review something.

[mod edit]

If i would have to rate the game at this point then it would be a 6/10. It's above average in terms of making the theme park interesting but needs a lot of polish and work to get really good.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    If SWTOR and FFXIV ARR can get 8+ ratings i guess anything is possible. Two of the worst MMOS i had misfortune to buy and play.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    If SWTOR and FFXIV ARR can get 8+ ratings i guess anything is possible. Two of the worst MMOS i had misfortune to buy and play.

I never played SWTOR but i do agree with FFXIV ARR score. 8.4 is too high for such a bad MMO.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by Zalmon

I never played SWTOR but i do agree with FFXIV ARR score. 8.4 is too high for such a bad MMO.

Believe me, 8.7 for SWTOR is more than "too high" even for the greatest fanboys :)

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

"I’m having a lot of fun"

It's the only thing that really matters.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70
    The problem with ESO isn't the price it is that the game is a mess. It is a poorly designed obvious IP cash grab even worse than SWTOR. I'll gladly pay a sub for a decent game but I'm not throwing money away on garbage like ESO. Then there is the added paying for other races and cash shop "extras" makes me wonder why people advocate for subscriptions when all you will get is double dipping like ESO is doing. Keep being suckers and you will keep getting games like ESO. I give this game 6 months before it's changing the business model because even the biggest Elder Scrolls fanboy won't last that long paying a sub for this. 
    Originally posted by Distopia

Funny part is that it does mention it

"Worse still, there was an issue late Tuesday night into Wednesday which caused a lengthy 12+ hour downtime. Players were getting disconnected from the game and then logging back into someone else’s account by no fault of their own. The downtime also added in a patch which fixed a lot of my above issues, but chances are the real reason was to fix whatever database error caused the whole giant security mess."

Well then, there we go. He wasn't trying to hide anything.

• wiscelwiscel Member UncommonPosts: 19

Few things I would like to see in the game to make it better (for me).

- this game needs an auction house

- fix the mouse/cursor/camera. For example if I want to do a mouseover, I first have to press . before I can do that.

- targetting via tab, it doesn't work on range dps

- if I want to talk to someone in game, I first have to click him, go to a rotating wheel to select whisper. This all takes too long.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

One thing I use to measure a company is on how quickly, they fix things, ZOS seems to be on the ball and getting things done, I have not encounterd a lot of the issues I see others talking about, I did have a few bugs  but for me the launch(early access) was better than some not as good as others, but the more I play, the more I lisiten to the story's of the npc's, read a little of the lore books and things I find in the world, the more I want to play, and I have not had that feeling in a long long time, the world feels alive, npc's talking to each other dogs chasing cats, my toon feels like it lives in the world and not just playing through it like so many of the shallow clone games.. I will hang my hat in ESO for along time..:)

I am looking forward to see wher they take this game with the content updates and expansions.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I was able to do a few of the weekend betas. IMO, though visually beautiful, it's really just another completely mediocre MMO that launched well before it was ready. Combat may have improved, but that's not saying much. There is no class balance, at all, in a game where PvP is meant to be a major end game pursuit. 

It plays nothing like an Elder Scrolls game. Most of the design "sacrifices" they made "in order to make the game work as an MMO" were completely unnecessary, as other games have shown how to do things like level scaling, dynamic world content, etc... with in the MMO framework.

It's a full box price + Subscription MMO, even though that business model has proven a failure for new MMO titles for at least the last half decade. Subscription Models have become the "fleece the suckers before we transition to the F2P model" stage of the MMO life cycle.

I've been around the genre for a long time and I've been on this site for a decade. I've seen the same cycle repeat over and over again on games like this. Initial success, gushing reviews that ignore or downplay all the flaws, people professing that this will be their long term game; by month three most will jump ship, cancel their subscriptions, pretend they always knew the game was going no where and trash it on the forums.

I found absolutely nothing special about the game, and was actually very disappointed that we finally get an Elder Scrolls MMO, only to have the developers fail to deliver a title that does the RPG franchise justice. The Elder Scrolls wrapper on a mediocre MMORPG does nothing to aid the game's long term prospects. SWTOR was a slightly better game that did it's i.p. a lot more justice and most of us know how that turned out.

As long as people keep throwing money at games like this, the genre will continue to evolve at a snails pace.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• vonhellsingvonhellsing Member Posts: 5

I said same thats here in A) item on ESO Facebook page, and all fanboys wanted expose my head in the public square 

My CV first ? around 10 year of MMO´s, play hard and right, never banned, never hacked, in this 10 years (WOW,GW,GW2,LINEAGE2,RAGNAROK,MU,CABAL,ULTIMA ONLINE, ETC...)

My impressions:

A) good game but not for subscription (but hopefully I'm wrong)

B) I bought yesterday and see some problems ( desapear 2 days in game time asap 28 no 30 days (WTF!!), donwload server really slow 14 hours to donwload with 50mbit internet DSL, error 201 their support has no idea what is this error)

C) some things that need in game UI (Character name, Guild TAG eg [LUNATICO]Vonhellsing or [LUN]Vonhellsing, Experience  Bar need press C) (LOL) and others stuffs.

D)  Game  Launched  precipitately ( maybe need more 2 or 3 betas than start charge customers)

E) We are paying to play an OPEN BETA 

F) Imperial pack you need buy a horse in game(why not email like other stuffs??), pets ridiculous and now have cash imperial horse but like with other color (cash game or subscription??), Not every weapon or armor can turn imperial, inexpressive Pets.

This my point of view, i´m not a fanboy in any game, i´m a fanboy of my money.

PS: English is not my official language sorry per mistakes and errors!

"o nobre acalma-se antes de agir;
    recolhe-se e concentra-se antes de falar;
    consolida suas rela