Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so my account got banned for 3 days

Comments

• KrigerKriger Member Posts: 34
    They may have changed it since you made your account. When the issue of my login name being broadcast via guild and friend list etc. came up about a month or so ago, I made a new account (since I hadn't preordered yet and had only participated in one beta event). When I created the new account at that time they did have a notification (sorry don't remember how big/obvious it was) that my name would be visible to people. So, again, possible if you had created your account a while ago that they didn't have it in. They might have added it later after people started requesting id changes

This space reserved for pithy comment.

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by Sector13
    Originally posted by eyekon218

All I was trying to do is protect myself against people getting my userID and trying to let others know about how easily attainable a userID is.  I just didnt want some asshat trying to look up my facebook, linkedin, twitter, and other various info - and scraping it for secret question/password hacking attempts.

Apparently taking steps against such actions and trying to inform others of it so they can as well avoid it is a violation of their terms of service which will result in a 3-day account ban.

But wait you actually did do this to someone just to prove a point right? Big no no. You don't have to steal someone's info just to prove it can be done. And now it seems, you have given proof that you did it to ZM. Dunno, maybe they banned you as a precaution to keep you from "gathering" more evidence? I mean they don't know what you're thinking or might have done leading up to that point. I say quietly ride the ban and wait for a official response without causing a scene, while hoping for the best (ID change)

Victim blaming is not an excuse for bad company practices. He did something that anyone could do with a friend/ignore list and google. That seems like a huge flaw in the system. People didn't blame the 5 year old kid who found the flaw in xbox live cause he hacked into his dads account, they rewarded him. 

And yet again he exposed this practice on a public forum with over 2 million users in hopes of doing exactly what? I understand that people like helping others (I try to all the time), but somethings have to be thought through or pointed out for others to see that more harm may be done than good.

Guy is cheated out of something from bad company practices and is not sure where to turn and again you blame the victim. 

He's not a victim. The victim's information was gathered and given to ZM as a example of what could happen to him (OP). He simply got tapped on the hand for doing exactly that, gathering someone's personal information. I told him to wait out his ban and hope for the best. I'm not the one trying to rile him up to potentially cause more damage than what has happened so far. Especially when this method to data farm ESO users is posted on a public forum.

Any person who is involved in social engineering or identity theft learned NOTHING new from this post.  This is a warning for everyone doing business with ZoS...  That they're enabling social engineers and identity thieves with their sloppy privacy policies.

Make more excuses for ZoS..  They need your PR campaign.  

All I was trying to do is protect myself against people getting my userID and trying to let others know about how easily attainable a userID is.  I just didnt want some asshat trying to look up my facebook, linkedin, twitter, and other various info - and scraping it for secret question/password hacking attempts.

Apparently taking steps against such actions and trying to inform others of it so they can as well avoid it is a violation of their terms of service which will result in a 3-day account ban.

But wait you actually did do this to someone just to prove a point right? Big no no. You don't have to steal someone's info just to prove it can be done. And now it seems, you have given proof that you did it to ZM. Dunno, maybe they banned you as a precaution to keep you from "gathering" more evidence? I mean they don't know what you're thinking or might have done leading up to that point. I say quietly ride the ban and wait for a official response without causing a scene, while hoping for the best (ID change)

Victim blaming is not an excuse for bad company practices. He did something that anyone could do with a friend/ignore list and google. That seems like a huge flaw in the system. People didn't blame the 5 year old kid who found the flaw in xbox live cause he hacked into his dads account, they rewarded him. 

And yet again he exposed this practice on a public forum with over 2 million users in hopes of doing exactly what? I understand that people like helping others (I try to all the time), but somethings have to be thought through or pointed out for others to see that more harm may be done than good.

Guy is cheated out of something from bad company practices and is not sure where to turn and again you blame the victim. 

He's not a victim. The victim's information was gathered and given to ZM as a example of what could happen to him (OP). He simply got tapped on the hand for doing exactly that, gathering someone's personal information. I told him to wait out his ban and hope for the best. I'm not the one trying to rile him up to potentially cause more damage than what has happened so far. Especially when this method to data farm ESO users is posted on a public forum.

I don't know if its because of an edit to the original post, but I did not see anywhere in it where he said he provided the info he gathered to zenimax as an example. 

• ProtuniaProtunia Member Posts: 111

So you ignored someone and it gave you their log in name rather than their character name??

Just trying to figure this one out lol!

I am also wondering why if you ignored someone you got info about their other name besides the character name.

Seems to me that's a big bug of some kind in the game for that other info to be given out like user ID.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by prowess

Any person who is involved in social engineering or identity theft learned NOTHING new from this post.  This is a warning for everyone doing business with ZoS...  That they're enabling social engineers and identity thieves with their sloppy privacy policies.

Not making excuses for ZM. I agree their system is both potentially harmful and stupid. Hell I don't even have the game. But you cannot tell me that the 2 million+ people that frequent this website are all fine upstanding fellow gamers. Hackers are always looking for an easy way to gather usernames to comb passwords for. Especially hot new mmos. And by posting this method here, the OP unintentionally may have exposed 5 million beta testers to a way to get some accounts before the April 6 deadline in order to pay.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

I don't think it is a bug, its their implementation for identification. Its the same when you join any guilds I hear, that it uses your login id rather than your character name. 

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    No, this is normal.  Just like if you "friend" someone they see your account name.  It's stupid.  I pointed this out a couple of times to Mod's but no one seems to think its that big of a deal.
    Originally posted by Kriger
    I don't think it is a bug, its their implementation for identification. Its the same when you join any guilds I hear, that it uses your login id rather than your character name. 

Not a bug to give out login name?? user ID??  hmm.....after someone gets that info they only have the password left....

Has to be a Bug of some kind never heard of a game giving out players User ID's before.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm not sure how what he said defends Zenimax, he just doesn't seem to like the way this poster handled this.

As for user ID mine is Ledwulf78 good luck finding anything on me with it, it's the only thing I've used it for :).

Below is the google search return lol.. Anyway lesson learned, don't use the same user name for everything you do.

I don't like the way Zeni handles usernames, but, I can't really feel bad for anyone who makes themselves so traceable online. What Zenimax does isn't forcing people to be net-tarded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<div _l"="">

Your search - LEdwulfe78 - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    • Try different keywords.
    • Try more general keywords.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I don't know if its because of an edit to the original post, but I did not see anywhere in it where he said he provided the info he gathered to zenimax as an example. 

Even if he didn't, he told ZM he did, hence the ban. I don't think ZM would ban someone just asking for a userID change.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Not making excuses for ZM. I agree their system is both potentially harmful and stupid. Hell I don't even have the game. But you cannot tell me that the 2 million+ people that frequent this website are all fine upstanding fellow gamers. Hackers are always looking for an easy way to gather usernames to comb passwords for. Especially hot new mmos. And by posting this method here, the OP unintentionally may have exposed 5 million beta testers to a way to get some accounts before the April 6 deadline in order to pay.

This isn't a bug. This is intentional on the part of Zenimax. It's widely known. The game is released and people do not have access to 5 million beta testers. People do have access to each others usernames in the live game. Which is asinine. This isn't some super secret method of obtaining usernames. Their system in game, without a doubt, will contribute to account security issues. This is why some people are changing their usernames like the OP.

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274

For anyone who cant understand what is going on. I will try and break it down because I think some of the people here do not understand what information he actually found and the company should be paying him for instead of banning him because ESO could get a huge lawsuit over this.

When he ignored someone it did not ignore the character, it ignored the account, or at least displayed the account name that was associated with the character. So instead of the characters name, ex. Vader. Googling Vader will come up with millions of results, instead ESO is showing the account name that only 1 person knows and usually has your information linked to, ex coolkid87. Coolkid87 is not as common, the search much more refined and now can be narrowed down to a single person.

This is a huge privacy violation that ESO is committing right now if this is true. 

It is not illegal to google someone, the OP did nothing wrong, now he probably said something before to ignore the person to begin with that could get him suspended or after revealing the information and the guy complained, thinking OP was a hacker or something. 

This is what I have gathered so far from the conversation, it seems like other people are trying to fill in gaps that the OP left out that is the cause for the hostility against him but from what I can pull this is probably what happened.

Originally posted by Protunia

Not a bug to give out login name?? user ID??  hmm.....after someone gets that info they only have the password left....

Has to be a Bug of some kind never heard of a game giving out players User ID's before.

/sarcasm

*zenimax rep*

"It's not a flaw, it's a feature!"

/sarcasm

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I saw some guy chatting, I set him to ignore, opened a google browser and typed in the userID the game gave me and found his facebook, linkedin, twitter, personal photo site on flickr, his address, etc etc.

And this is why I don't use social media.

• eyekon218eyekon218 Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Distopia

Any person who is involved in social engineering or identity theft learned NOTHING new from this post.  This is a warning for everyone doing business with ZoS...  That they're enabling social engineers and identity thieves with their sloppy privacy policies. Make more excuses for ZoS..  They need your PR campaign.  
    I'm not sure how what he said defends Zenimax, he just doesn't seem to like the way this poster handled this. As for user ID mine is Ledwulf78 good luck finding anything on me with it, it's the only thing I've used it for :). Below is the google search return lol.. Anyway lesson learned, don't use the same user name for everything you do. I don't like the way Zeni handles usernames, but, I can't really feel bad for anyone who makes themselves so traceable online. What Zenimax does isn't forcing people to be net-tarded. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ <div _l"=""> Your search - LEdwulfe78 - did not match any documents. Suggestions:
    • Try different keywords. Try more general keywords.

And had I been aware that my chosen userID would be so easily accessible by players in game I would have as well chosen to use a name which was specific to just their mmo.  However, there was no mention of this when signing up which is why I submitted a support ticket on 3-30-2014 - which I am still awaiting a userID change on.  After posting information on their forums letting others know about this so they could as well request userID changes I was then given a 3 day ban.

"I have the will and intent to steal someone's identity and/or use their information in social engineering and I had NO IDEA that you could use a search engine to gather information using a username," said NO HACKER EVER.

So weak...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Distopia

Any person who is involved in social engineering or identity theft learned NOTHING new from this post.  This is a warning for everyone doing business with ZoS...  That they're enabling social engineers and identity thieves with their sloppy privacy policies. Make more excuses for ZoS..  They need your PR campaign.  
    I'm not sure how what he said defends Zenimax, he just doesn't seem to like the way this poster handled this. As for user ID mine is Ledwulf78 good luck finding anything on me with it, it's the only thing I've used it for :). Below is the google search return lol.. Anyway lesson learned, don't use the same user name for everything you do. I don't like the way Zeni handles usernames, but, I can't really feel bad for anyone who makes themselves so traceable online. What Zenimax does isn't forcing people to be net-tarded. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ <div _l"=""> Your search - LEdwulfe78 - did not match any documents. Suggestions:
    • Try different keywords. Try more general keywords.

And had I been aware that my chosen userID would be so easily accessible by players in game I would have as well chosen to use a name which was specific to just their mmo.  However, there was no mention of this when signing up which is why I submitted a support ticket on 3-30-2014 - which I am still awaiting a userID change on.  After posting information on their forums letting others know about this so they could as well request userID changes I was then given a 3 day ban.

I personally knew about it going in during beta, it was an issue that blew up long ago. Someone else used a similar system recently I wanna say Cryptic with Neverwinter. And to be clear I was referring to the guy you searched with the net-tarded comment not you.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Wow!  that's pretty unreal.

I bet a lot of people might have even used their real name for a user ID.

SO there was no WARNING when making your User ID that all players will be able to see this information??

Originally posted by BeansnBread

This isn't a bug. This is intentional on the part of Zenimax. It's widely known. The game is released and people do not have access to 5 million beta testers. People do have access to each others usernames in the live game. Which is asinine. This isn't some super secret method of obtaining usernames. Their system in game, without a doubt, will contribute to account security issues. This is why some people are changing their usernames like the OP.

I beta'd the game and had no clue you could do this until the OP posted it. That's all I'm sayin. Now do you really think all those beta users are only interested in beta testing ESO? If so, why is the OP ignoring gold sellers that are in the game right now trying to take advantage of legit ESO players? You don't think using the /ignore feature will appeal to them? Cause I doubt hackers and gold seller are normally using the ignore function. But I'm sure they would if they knew about this.

As a matter of fact It's only a matter of time before this thread is removed or mod edited to correct the OP's oversight.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Their customer support is a joke.

Been trying for three days to get them to fix my account's time counting down even though I'm a pre order early access member, and they keep sending me generic forum letters that don't address my problem AT ALL.

It's really sad, I honestly don't think I can recall a customer support staff as inept as this.

Sure I've seen plenty that take a lot longer to get things done, this support staff is FAST... to give me a completely wrong and useless and utterly stupid answer.

/sigh

I beta'd the game and had no clue you could do this until the OP posted it. That's all I'm sayin. Now do you really think all those beta users are only interested in beta testing ESO? If so, why is the OP ignoring gold sellers that are in the game right now trying to take advantage of legit ESO players? You don't think using the /ignore feature will appeal to them? Cause I doubt hackers and gold seller are normally using the ignore function. But I'm sure they would if they knew about this.

As a matter of fact It's only a matter of time before this thread is removed or mod edited to correct the OP's oversight.

You don't need to use the ignore feature... You just don't know what you're talking about.

Such an amateurish mistake...  Really shows that ZoS should reevaluate whether or not they should be in the MMO marketspace.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

In the review on Massively.com, the reviewer complains about this very issue: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/04/massivelys-elder-scrolls-online-launch-diary-day-five-the-e/

"As I mentioned in a previous entry, I had no idea that my account login name would be publicly visible when I made it. While several commenters have since pointed out that you can in fact set yourself as "offline" if you want to get away from your guildies for some solo play, one half of your authentication pair is still viewable to anyone in your social circle, whether you appear offline or not.

Since it's unlikely that ZeniMax will admit its mistake here and stop handing out players' personal information, I decided that I'd better petition to change my login name to something both more secure and less likely to broadcast my real-world identity to half of Tamriel.
    "

You don't need to use the ignore feature... You just don't know what you're talking about.

So there are other ways to expose someone's userID other than what the OP showed me today. Oh yeah thanks for really schooling me....image But we're good as long as you keep those methods to yourself (or report them to ZM).

So there are other ways to expose someone's userID other than what the OP showed me today. Oh yeah thanks for really schooling me....image But we're good as long as you keep those methods to yourself (or report them to ZM).

I can only assume you haven't been reading the thread at this point. The post directly above your last one will help you out a little bit. I tried to tell you that is was commonly and widely known and that Zenimax was ok with it. For whatever reason, you are viewing it as some breach of security to see someone's username. It is officially not according to Zenimax. The post above your last one shows a reviewer mentioning it. Should his review be taken down? Of course not. 

Your idea that hackers would read this thread and get an idea is ludicrous as well.