Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do melee weapons affect spell dmg?

YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
Whos the genius that came up with something like this? Why would melee weapons affect spell dmg?? its retarded

Comments

• hann18alxhann18alx Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar
    Whos the genius that came up with something like this? Why would melee weapons affect spell dmg?? its retarded

Lolz, Alot of reasons i could think of? 

1. Magic weapons? That glowing axe isnt glowing cause of the steel it was made from.
    2. Many "melee" ranged spells could also effect it.
    3. Also, come to think of it... Wouldnt lightsabers do magic damage? 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Do people have some mental block about what "melee" means? Melee doesn't mean physical. It means close proximity fighting.

If I throw a rock at you from 10 meters away, I'm ranged.

If I throw a rock at you from 1 meter away, I'm melee. Granted, I will not have as good of a windup for my throw at that range to execute an optimal throw, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a thrown attack at melee range.

Replace the rock with a magical sword that gives me more mana and there you go.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Because in the "magical" world of diablo the "magic" sword of pwnage is just that bad ass!
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

So all classes could scale the same way, and not have a unique, convoluted, unbalanced way of scaling for each class, and different abilities within a class?

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Derros

So all classes could scale the same way, and not have a unique, convoluted, unbalanced way of scaling for each class, and different abilities within a class?

Tbh this is why I have yet to really play a caster class in this game. I think it's stupid. But, as Derros said, I understand why they did it that way. Back to why I haven't played a caster class really, I dont' understand if I'm supposed to concentrate soley on wpn dmg or the number under "Damage" on the inventory screen. When I had asked before,  I got a bunch of responses how that I was a noob and such. Didn't bother me, I just didn't feel it was worth the effort lol. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Because it is fun.

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Because it is fun.

No its stupid. D2 was so much better in this regard, making casters go for +skill stuff and actual melee fighters go for the good weapons...

|

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Because in most video games, gameplay is more important than realism.

Why does your character in Diablo 3 never trip and fall flat on his face? It's so unrealistic!

From a game designers perspective, the situation is this:

- Players loooove weapons in games.

- The most important stat players are interested in, in weapons, is how much damage they deal.

- Players love magic and powerful effects.

If the DPS of a weapon would not affect spells, the game would be less fun, since all the spellcasting players would constantly find weapons of which the most interesting stat is completely irrelevant.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Magic in itself have no logic, maybe you use the sword as a component or focus for your spells.

Game magic is usually even more illogical then the type we see in books and I doubt the devs of the game actually spent much thought about it so trying to find a pattern where none exist is a waste of time.

You could of course make a game where magic follow some type of logic with fixed rules, somewhat scientific explanations to how it works as well as some alternative physic but Diablo is hardly the type of game where that is worth the work.

Diablo have always been about going down a dungeon, kill monsters and take their stuff, nothing else.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

Because it is fun.

No its stupid. D2 was so much better in this regard, making casters go for +skill stuff and actual melee fighters go for the good weapons...

|

So it doesn't look like the OP was interested in a discussion or even to actually find out why but just to complain. Items in D3 are imbued with magical powers that allow this. That is the answer. If you're looking for the game design explanation, I have no idea other than that it's basically the norm for games these days and it's not a common complaint because of this. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I hope this isn't a serious question.

imageimage

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

If you have problems suspending your belief enough, you can actually make a spell sword build on a Wizard in this game and justify increasing your spell damage with melee weapons. I have one and it works surprisingly well. She is a close-range fighter exclusively and it makes complete sense for her melee weapons to boost her dps.

But the real answer to your question is that melee weapons have always affected spell damage in fantasy games, from AD&D to the Elder Scrolls to D2 unlike what you claim in your post below. As far as I am aware, staves are melee weapons and yet in most fantasy RPGs they improve a spell caster's spell ability because they are imbued with magical properties, right? As someone else said here, they are used as a sort of focus for the spell caster.

You are remembering incorrectly, D2's melee weapons most certainly did boost spell damage as well.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol op for the same reason that cloth pants make melee stronger maybe.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Would you be happier if only ranged weapons like staffs and wands affected spell dmg? Would limiting weapon choice make you happier?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Would you be happier if only ranged weapons like staffs and wands affected spell dmg? Would limiting weapon choice make you happier?

Uhm, unless you are talking about staff slings, staves are not ranged weapons. And why would a ranged weapon be any different from a melee as far as magic damage is concerned?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

This whole thread is just silly.

We are talking about a video game with a fantasy setting where there is MAGIC. Obviously the dev can set up any mechanism (to make the game fun), and hand-wave away any logical problems by saying "this is how magic works".

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95

Because it is fun.

|

It's the exact same thing in D3, just more streamlined/less convoluted. Take the rose coloured glasses off.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

It seems to be because of the new skill system. It is because these new skills don't have levels to build up they must level up by some other means. In this case it is using weapon damage, try to imagine that they are magical artifacts rather than swords or shields.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by Gravehill

Because it is fun.

|

It's the exact same thing in D3, just more streamlined/less convoluted. Take the rose coloured glasses off.

Yeh ... it matters very little if you call it +skill, or dmg ... it is just a magical thing that let you do more damage.

It is a game .... for god sake.

• BilgatoBilgato Member UncommonPosts: 24

It's not hard to understand.

When a magic-user holds a sword/axe/dagger/bow it becomes a Spell Focus, same as a magic wand and carries the same attributes and benefits that it does in the hands of a non magic-user who wields it physically.

It's the same as when a magic-user holds a crystal orb or voo-doo doll and gains benefits from that.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Something unrealistic in a video game? Who would have thunk it. We all know a twig or walking stick is far more magical than an axe.....

Ideals still need to be plausible,otherwise why not have a Mack Truck come out of a sword or a tractor trailer come flying out of a staff?I hope those over the top ridiculous ideas prove that ideals DO need to be plausible.

As for magical weapons,they would have a magical property,that does not make it plausible that they would ALSO reinforce magical spells.Example a fiery axe would do additional fire damage but doesn't mean it would or even should boost fire spells.

As far as Fantasy/mythology goes,i think it widely accepted that magic is reinforced by staves or wands and nothing else.

Yes melee means close proximity but it is also a term used for weapons that WOULD be melee'd,staves and wands are usually used by casters from a distance and do not usually melee,hence why all weapons other than wands and staves are considered melee weapons,well aside from ranged such as bows,xbows,slings ect ect.

Personally i wouldn't lose sleep over it but i would also prefer that ideals remain plausible and that not every single item in a game reinforces magical spells.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Something unrealistic in a video game? Who would have thunk it. We all know a twig or walking stick is far more magical than an axe.....

Ideals still need to be plausible,otherwise why not have a Mack Truck come out of a sword or a tractor trailer come flying out of a staff?I hope those over the top ridiculous ideas prove that ideals DO need to be plausible.

As for magical weapons,they would have a magical property,that does not make it plausible that they would ALSO reinforce magical spells.Example a fiery axe would do additional fire damage but doesn't mean it would or even should boost fire spells.

As far as Fantasy/mythology goes,i think it widely accepted that magic is reinforced by staves or wands and nothing else.

Yes melee means close proximity but it is also a term used for weapons that WOULD be melee'd,staves and wands are usually used by casters from a distance and do not usually melee,hence why all weapons other than wands and staves are considered melee weapons,well aside from ranged such as bows,xbows,slings ect ect.

Personally i wouldn't lose sleep over it but i would also prefer that ideals remain plausible and that not every single item in a game reinforces magical spells.

"plausible" in a game with magic?

It is easy to just make up some mumbo jumbo about focus, magic imbued weapon, and what-not. If a leg can throw lightning, it certainly can increase your spell power.

And what is the problem if every single item reinforces magic spells? It is a magical world, anything can happen as long as the dev says so.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

It's not just melee weapons, it's all weapons.  The reason it's done this way is because it's much easier to balance and much easier to accommodate hybridization in class design.  Whereas in the past most spell casters have no real way to grow their spell damage other through Spell Power which leads to unwieldy stats (large ass numbers) and unneeded stats (weapon damage).

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by zymurgeist Something unrealistic in a video game? Who would have thunk it. We all know a twig or walking stick is far more magical than an axe.....
    Ideals still need to be plausible,otherwise why not have a Mack Truck come out of a sword or a tractor trailer come flying out of a staff?I hope those over the top ridiculous ideas prove that ideals DO need to be plausible. As for magical weapons,they would have a magical property,that does not make it plausible that they would ALSO reinforce magical spells.Example a fiery axe would do additional fire damage but doesn't mean it would or even should boost fire spells. As far as Fantasy/mythology goes,i think it widely accepted that magic is reinforced by staves or wands and nothing else. Yes melee means close proximity but it is also a term used for weapons that WOULD be melee'd,staves and wands are usually used by casters from a distance and do not usually melee,hence why all weapons other than wands and staves are considered melee weapons,well aside from ranged such as bows,xbows,slings ect ect. Personally i wouldn't lose sleep over it but i would also prefer that ideals remain plausible and that not every single item in a game reinforces magical spells.

So it's perfectly plausible for you to have 2 weapons look like this:

http://wod.wowhead.com/item=111123

and

http://wod.wowhead.com/item=108149

Yet one of them doesn't take advantage of their stats?

I think it's unplausible and unrealistic to have different rules for different weapons, ontop of having a harder time to balance and increase magic effectiveness. Without using some unplausible (like growing exponential numbers of statflation) to balance the same power growth from power level to power level without using weapon modifyers. The simplest and easiest way to balance the classes IMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!