Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This, fo rme, is the worst experience of "trying" to play an MMO I have ever had.

I want this game, I want to like this game and I was excited about this game.

I bought the disc yesterday morning, installed it and then spent 18 hours, yes 18 hours downloading approximately 5gb of patches / updates.  This is at a download speed 10 time slower than my connection allows.  I have a slow connection, but a 5gb download would usually take about 1.5 - 2 hours.  So yeah, 18 hours.

On waking up this morning and seeing that 100% and the "PLAY" Button....Im super excited right?

Yeah...till I try and load and get stuck staring at the loading screen for 15 minutes.  So I fire off an email to customer services who have told me to Disable Firewall, Virus Control and User Account Control as well as run as administrator in compatabilty mode for Windows xp sp3.  Right?  Huh?  OK....so the game wont work on Windows 7?  I have then to do a repair.

So after clicking "repair"...I am told the game now wants to download 13gb.  13 freaking gb???   That's going to take about 4 days.

This is from a disc install.  I have SWTOR, Rift, Tera, WoW and GW2 on my machines and with every one of them, despite my slow internet connection speed I have been online with every one of them in less than 2 hours.  And every patch has been fine.

I emailed customer services about this slow download problem and they say "its launch day...everyone is downloading, that's why its so slow".  Really?  You didn't foresee that lots of people might be trying to install and just thought well ok everyone will be fine with super long download times.

And on top of that.....my free 30 day access is running down. Good work Zenimax.

Comments

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Yeah...my LOL meter just assploded.

Your 30 days wont start til after Sunday....

"I bought the disc yesterday morning, installed it and then spent 18 hours, yes 18 hours downloading approximately 5gb of patches / updates.  This is at a download speed 10 time slower than my connection allows.  I have a slow connection, but a 5gb download would usually take about 1.5 - 2 hours.  So yeah, 18 hours."

Seriously? I had to download the whole 56GB client over time at 1.5mb in the woods ISP I have. WTF are you complaining about?

Just wow

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I see stories like this (experienced it myself once) every time an MMO launches. Don't buy an MMO at launch if this kind of thing is a problem for you. 

Give it 6 months to work out some of the major bugs, for the population to stabilize somewhat, etc...

Not trying to say you shouldn't be frustrated, or that the publishers should be let off the hook, just that it's the way it is. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by human106
      OK....so the game wont work on Windows 7?

game works fine on windoes 7.

(edit: wow, this site added a "shopping link" when I spelled windoes correctly. That wont' do.).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I want this game, I want to like this game and I was excited about this game.

I bought the disc yesterday morning, installed it and then spent 18 hours, yes 18 hours downloading approximately 5gb of patches / updates.  This is at a download speed 10 time slower than my connection allows.  I have a slow connection, but a 5gb download would usually take about 1.5 - 2 hours.  So yeah, 18 hours.

On waking up this morning and seeing that 100% and the "PLAY" Button....Im super excited right?

Yeah...till I try and load and get stuck staring at the loading screen for 15 minutes.  So I fire off an email to customer services who have told me to Disable Firewall, Virus Control and User Account Control as well as run as administrator in compatabilty mode for Windows xp sp3.  Right?  Huh?  OK....so the game wont work on Windows 7?  I have then to do a repair.

So after clicking "repair"...I am told the game now wants to download 13gb.  13 freaking gb???   That's going to take about 4 days.

This is from a disc install.  I have SWTOR, Rift, Tera, WoW and GW2 on my machines and with every one of them, despite my slow internet connection speed I have been online with every one of them in less than 2 hours.  And every patch has been fine.

I emailed customer services about this slow download problem and they say "its launch day...everyone is downloading, that's why its so slow".  Really?  You didn't foresee that lots of people might be trying to install and just thought well ok everyone will be fine with super long download times.

And on top of that.....my free 30 day access is running down. Good work Zenimax.

Yes, its a large size game, you have to keep in mind that all those gigabytes are going to voice overs, and to all the resources that make this game the Best Game Ever made.    Its well worth the wait to download.   I wish I could give you some of my download speed, You'd be done in 3 hours tops.  

Stay in there soldier, its well worth the wait.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

With every MMO launch since the beginning of time, there's always a handful of players (1% or 2%) that have epic problems with some aspects of the game.

They experience the bugs that nobody else has ever heard of, they are the ones who have their accounts hacked, they are the poor souls who can't get the game to run no matter how hard they try. Naturally, they will be very frustrated and angry, and will take it out on the game company and/or their ISP and anyone else that they can "blame" for their problems.

I'm sure it sucks to be "one of those people" in this game launch. Hopefully your problems will be speedily resolved. Good luck !

• human106human106 Member Posts: 33

I understand its a large download, however all of the dialogue etc are on the disc. 

What I'm saying is that the game fully installed and patched...and then didn't work.  I now have to download a patch 3.5 times bigger than the original patch as a repair?

I'm sure it does work on Windows 7....so therefore why is a suggested "fix" to run it in XP mode?  Erm?

And yes, its launch day....I've been there before.  GW2, which lets face it was almost certainly facing similar or bigger numbers of downloaders on the first day was up and running within 4 hours and all patches downloaded at something approaching my usual connection speed.  On launch day.

And yes, there are "always people who have problems".  Great. 

And for your information, the 30 day free sub is ALREADY counting down...it is, as of right now, at 29 days.  So...erm...Sunday?  Right.

I understand its a large download, however all of the dialogue etc are on the disc. 

What I'm saying is that the game fully installed and patched...and then didn't work.  I now have to download a patch 3.5 times bigger than the original patch as a repair?

I'm sure it does work on Windows 7....so therefore why is a suggested "fix" to run it in XP mode?  Erm?

And yes, its launch day....I've been there before.  GW2, which lets face it was almost certainly facing similar or bigger numbers of downloaders on the first day was up and running within 4 hours and all patches downloaded at something approaching my usual connection speed.  On launch day.

And yes, there are "always people who have problems".  Great. 

And for your information, the 30 day free sub is ALREADY counting down...it is, as of right now, at 29 days.  So...erm...Sunday?  Right.

What we are telling you is that it ISN'T the game per say...it MIGHT be YOU.

It's a big game...how it gets installed is up to YOU

How it gets updated is up to YOU

And NO...the 30 days ARE NOT COUNTING DOWN!!! Read a bit. Early access was granted til Sunday. Meaning that all codes are active after. Unless people are once again gonna treat plain word for what they feel they read instead.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Seriously? I had to download the whole 56GB client over time at 1.5mb in the woods ISP I have. WTF are you complaining about?

And I've just downloaded a 5gb patch at 0.086Mb, so that's 18 times slower than you.  Do I win the misfortune hat? 

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    I'm sorry you had technical issues with downloading & installing the game, it's gotta suck to want to play, but can't.  I have no solutions for ya, I personally didn't have any issues downloading & patching the game.  I started the download at night before going to bed, and it was done patching by the time I got up in the morning for work.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

And I've just downloaded a 5gb patch at 0.086Mb, so that's 18 times slower than you.  Do I win the misfortune hat? 

Unless you are lying...it would have taken you3 days to do so. So you win the "I am a lying Buttplug" award. Otherwise....in two more days, you can talk to me about slow updates...and Elk ruining your apple trees....

How the hell is it me?  I installed the game and all of its patches it didn't work.

Yes you can install t on your PC via disc and download, or via download...it then should work.  Where's the bit that's up to me?

Eh?  It gets updated by opening the launcher and waiting for whatever Zenimax have put on their servers to be downloaded to my PC.  Not up to me.

And NO...the 30 days ARE NOT COUNTING DOWN!!! Read a bit. Early access was granted til Sunday. Meaning that all codes are active after. Unless people are once again gonna treat plain word for what they feel they read instead.

What I am telling you, slowly, as English possibly isn't your first language is that in my "account information"  I have 29 days left...right now.

You're not offering anything useful and come across as a bit angry...so I'm going to ignore anything you say for the rest of my life.  Thanks for your input.

Unless you are lying...it would have taken you3 days to do so. So you win the "I am a lying Buttplug" award. Otherwise....in two more days, you can talk to me about slow updates...and Elk ruining your apple trees....

Oh, I suppose I have to answer this as it appeared while I was doing my other post.  Its downloading right now at 86kbps, which is 0.086 of a Mb.  Not lying, why would I.....I'd be embarrassed.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Please make your computer defenseless and it might run our game.Priceless.

If the user, just like you, isn't tech savvy, turning those off is a way to rule them out so you know they are not causing the issue.

It is a rule of thumb to any diagnostics - you rule out variables first.

How the hell is it me? 

Works for everyone but you...still not getting the hint?

How the hell is it me?  I installed the game and all of its patches it didn't work.

Yes you can install t on your PC via disc and download, or via download...it then should work.  Where's the bit that's up to me?

Eh?  It gets updated by opening the launcher and waiting for whatever Zenimax have put on their servers to be downloaded to my PC.  Not up to me.

What I am telling you, slowly, as English possibly isn't your first language is that in my "account information"  I have 29 days left...right now.

You're not offering anything useful and come across as a bit angry...so I'm going to ignore anything you say for the rest of my life.  Thanks for your input.

Everything you just typed is YOU

There is no central area that we all got the game....we did the same as you.

I am angry at ppl like you coming in and raging like something did you wrong...when all you can post is stuff outside the game hindering you...not the game or anything about it.

If...somehow...your days (unlike everyone else here) are counting down...then you would have something to ask about...but I doubt it. Since the rest of us won't have our 30 days start til after Sunday.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Gdemami

How the hell is it me? 

Works for everyone but you...still not getting the hint?

classic fallacy. 

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Please make your computer defenseless and it might run our game.

Priceless.

If the user, just like you, isn't tech savvy, turning those off is a way to rule them out so you know they are not causing the issue.

It is a rule of thumb to any diagnostics - you rule out variables first.

To be honest, as this is a solely gaming rig and I use a laptop for everything else I don't have Virus protection or firewall enabled anyway. 

I was slightly more worried about being asked to run in XP SP3 mode.

Anyway, there's no way I'm downloading 13gb of repair at those speeds so I've uninstalled and am currently reinstalling from disc.  Hopefully that way I will get a more reasonably sized patch.

Last attempt anyway.   If it doesn't work tomorrow Ill just wait for it on PS4 as there's not a chance that Sony will allow it to be released with launcher problems.  Game bugs sure, but hey...they're almost fun.

I suppose I should be grateful tt didn't attempt to redownload the entire game, which apparently has happened to a lot of people.

Originally posted by adam_nox

classic fallacy. 

Do elaborate...

It works for everyone but me?

Bahahaa.....3 mins looking at the first two pages of this forum or the official forum will certainly tell you that's not true.

And how am I going to come here and talk about the game when I am unable to play it?

Jeez, there are some serious a-holes on this forum.  Why are you on the forum picking on people who cant play, when you evidently can?  Go play!

But thanks to everyone who actually posted something useful.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Oh, I suppose I have to answer this as it appeared while I was doing my other post.  Its downloading right now at 86kbps, which is 0.086 of a Mb.  Not lying, why would I.....I'd be embarrassed.

Do yourself a favor and put him on ignore. Check his post history..he is only interested in mocking people and being a jerk. Not worth it really.

I would suggest you have better chance of getting answer on customer support forum of the game. You won't have to deal with rude jerks there. Good luck and i hope to see you in game soon.

Yeah...play it on a console instead....

The download problem was addressed and fixed either with a user fix or by Zen. If my game is playable...with my friggin idiot rig and slow DL speeds....well....

I came here to see and help cause of the title...sorry mang...

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Do yourself a favor and put him on ignore. Check his post history..he is only interested in mocking people and being a jerk. Not worth it really.

I would suggest you have better chance of getting answer on customer support forum of the game. You won't have to deal with rude jerks there. Good luck and i hope to see you in game soon.

lol...yeah...ignore me. Do you live here Big Daddy?

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Thankyou, I am dealing with Customer Service, they are at least very good at responding...very impressive to be honest.

I KNOW that launch days have issues...I am not a young person and have been playing MMOs since Ultima.  I am not in any way being an "a-hole"...I am just frustrated that 25 hours after buying the disc I still have yet to see character creation screen.

I am genuinely happy that you are in the game and playing it.

The purpose of the post was ....to see if anyone else had similar issues and was able to offer any advice. 

But hey, if telling me that I am somehow incapable of inserting 4 discs into my PC and following some very simple on screen prompts and therefore I have completely failed technically as a result of the game not working makes you feel like a big butch man....good for you.

I KNOW that launch days have issues...I am not a young person and have been playing MMOs since Ultima.  I am not in any way being an "a-hole"...I am just frustrated that 25 hours after buying the disc I still have yet to see character creation screen.

I am genuinely happy that you are in the game and playing it.

The purpose of the post was ....to see if anyone else had similar issues and was able to offer any advice. 

But hey, if telling me that I am somehow incapable of inserting 4 discs into my PC and following some very simple on screen prompts and therefore I have completely failed technically as a result of the game not working makes you feel like a big butch man....good for you.

I hafta say that I feel your rant. I should have treated your post as that. Not an "I'm a dumbass" post. Guess I get to use to dumbasses here. So it's on me.

The only thing I would say to you is MAKE SURE...that 30 day thing ISN'T counting down. It isn't for the rest of us.

Downloading from the sticks sucks....took me an my mom a week to get the client for the beta weekends.

Sorry for making you feel like a tard...

No worries....just want to play the damn game rather than having to wait yet another day staring a % slowing increasing   :(

This discussion has been closed.