Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rofl.. it gets better: "Pay $30 extra for your 30 free Days… awesome ZOS, thanks…"

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Not sure how to respond, so I'll do so as if the OP was the one in the quote's situation.

Some companies seem to do this, but it is far from standard practice in the MMO space.  In fact, far more MMOs do not do this; it is however a tactic used by business in general, and therefore standard on a more universal approach (I.E. magazines and other subscription services).  Therefore it is the choice of an MMO if they want to "follow the dollar" with automated fees when people forget to unsubscribe, and they may even use said data in saying that they are in fact subscribers.

It is sad to hear that ESO had went that route, and if you or anyone has a problem with that, then simply boycott them.  There are many MMOs that do not do this -- in fact, I find it hard pressed to remember which ones do (then again I have several cards and may just be immune to the process in terms of thinking).  It is anti consumerist, and most people in the world actually do have or don't use credit cards.  Therefore having to buy a sixty day card just to register on top of a game box purchase that should've included 30 free days -- no questions asked -- is despicable on many levels (if true), irregardless if there is a precedence.  They could've easy gone the route of the majority when it came to the genre, but they opted not to.  This stands for any game that does it, and not just one in particular because it's the most recently released.

Aside from that, there are many who couldn't care, so long as they get their game.  It's a mentality that makes such things okay in the gaming industry; people will even pay thousands for an unfinished product or to test games.  Honestly many are hard working folk who just want their entertainment and not have to add the drama of "fighting the power" in the entertainment industry, where they retreat to for enjoyment.  So it's simply a matter of personal morals and if you want to support a company that does not adhere to your ethics.

I'm starting to question some of Blizzard's own ethics, but then I see such things as their usual no-NDA on day one alpha for WoD as well as massive patch info, supporting datamining sites and even making fun of themselves in April Fools jokes.  It's often easy to forgot a lot of the things you do appreciate about companies when focusing on the bad, and therefore if you can afford it or find a way to play it and the advertised 30 days you were supposed to get, then it's important to keep that in mind if you actually enjoy it.  Though as a whole, I know many that are jumping off the bandwagon as soon as possible and attempted to get refunds.  I was one of the ones that called this a potential cash grab way back, and it's starting to become more of a reality every day I participate in game or in a discussion with people who played it and or already quit.

I'm now reminded of how hard it must be to enter this genre in the first place.  For the past five or so hours some 5,000 people were in a WoW Twitch channel that was displaying nothing more than a login screen for the alpha.  It's cut down to about 3,000 now, but what other game could keep 5k+ people for hours when there's only a login screen and the title says it will only always be a title screen.  No speaking or personality  at a mic, just the screen and people waiting for the potential of datamined information or being told that it's up on MMO-champion the moment it is.  Kind've makes one realize how truly and unfathomably die hard some WoW fans are and that the game will always be the "go to" one of this genre once content locust finish the newest.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Mardy
    Are people new to MMORPG's?  It's always been done like this, you enter your cc & subscription info, you don't get charged until your 30 day free is over.

Not all MMOS do this. WOW for example never asked me for CC or time cards till my 30 days were over.

I find that hard to believe since, when I bought WoW back in 2004, I had to run my ass back across town to Best Buy to buy a time card just so that I could get in the game. I was still playing Diablo II at the time and some friends finally convinced me to pick up WoW. They didn't tell me anything about the monthly sub, so it was a surprise when I got home and found out that I had to pick a subscription method before I could even log in.

That's why I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this. It's been the same way in every sub MMO I've played. I had to put in my Debit info just to log in when I bought LotRO. Hell just recently when I bought my PS4 I had to put my info in just to get my free week of PS+ and free $20 for my PS Store Wallet at which point it forced me to sub for automatic wallet refills. This sort of thing isn't anything new.

I bought WoW back then and I never had to enter credit card info.  I didn't even have a credit card then.  I plunked my hard-earned cash down and bought the game.  I played as soon as I installed it.

As did I.  Though I do have a friend who misunderstood what they were asking.  Even today they send you to a subscription screen.  But you're able to close it and log in immediately without touching it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

To everyone saying that so and so game didn't require a credit card......If it has any kind of free "trail" for example SWtOR, WoW, Tera and so on, then NO you do not use a credit card.  How else are you gonna try your free trail??

If how ever it is a standard sub game...with NO FREE TRAIL..then yes you will have to put in a billing option, I had to do that with UO way back when and most recently Star Wars The Old Republic BEFORE it went free to try....I bought a month game time card when I bought the game because it wanted some billing info, that is not the case anymore since it is no longer technically a pay to play game.

And yes it's and old practice......but so is putting gas in your car (we do have other means of fuel you know).

• Vector_ArrowVector_Arrow Member Posts: 18
    And just an FYI, I just applied my code and I'm in game without having to input and type of CC information so I have no idea why it's doing it to you.
  • ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

I'm just not certain how this is such a big deal...sign up for sub-plan (in my case with the same credit card info with which I bought the game)...wait to see if it warrants another month...or three...

Card is not charged now anyway...if i can't look at a calendar and cancel at the appropriate time if I change my mind, I probably can't complete most of the quest chains or craft worth a damn anyway. 

Managing monthly bills is NOT a difficult task, especially when we've not even been charged yet. How much hand-holding is needed?

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by orionblack

If how ever it is a standard sub game...with NO FREE TRAIL..then yes you will have to put in a billing option,

To the best of my knowledge FFXIV ARR does not have a free trial. I bought it a week or so ago when it was on sale on Amazon, have not given any payment info and can play my free month just fine.

For that matter, ESO didn't require any payment info to play early access.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by 9reesracer9

Card is not charged now anyway...

The problem for a lot of people is that the card was being charged an "authorization charge" equal to the sub fee you chose -- in the US for most people $14.99 or whatever. In theory that money will be refunded in a few days, depending on your bank, but it was rather unexpected to a lot of people.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Myria

The problem for a lot of people is that the card was being charged an "authorization charge" equal to the sub fee you chose -- in the US for most people $14.99 or whatever. In theory that money will be refunded in a few days, depending on your bank, but it was rather unexpected to a lot of people.

..for very, very few people  (those complaining here) in which case there is no harm regardless, except for the emotional panic some feel when they don't understand how such charges work (especially in the case of American Express, where most of these misunderstandings took place)...

This fee in not refunded "in theory"..it is common practice for many things, from hotel rooms to other online purchases...welcome to the 21st century :)

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Hrotha

Quoting TamrielFoundry:

So this is the deal, We bought the Imperial Edition Saved for, collected yay… But you have to subscribe with a CC/Paypal to activate your account…
    Or you have to buy a time card… in Australia That’s $30 for 2 months…
    Fantastic…
    The GF is pretty much in the ‘F*ck this game, f*ck ZOS’ mentality atm… as students we have to manage the little money we have, and extra $30 on top of our past months of saving to get The Imp Ed just to use our “free” 30 days is BS… Credit cards are a no, and you need one for Paypal to properly work… paying and extra $30 is the only option we have apparently… fantastic…

Should there be an option to redeem your free 30 without payment?
    Anyone else in a similar situation?

Can you believe it? You have to buy game-time if you have no CC or paypal account. So much for "free 30 days"...

This is so disgusting, exploiting any means possible...

Are you really doing this? Are you really stepping on this train, dear gamers, you who are currently playing this game? This gets a very new and exciting episode if you do

If you read what you wrote it says

"subscribe with a CC/Paypal to activate your account ... Or you have to buy a time card"

Notice the word 'or' ... they could use a CC/Paypal.  No where does it say you HAVE to buy a game-time card.

Get your facts straight before you start to complain

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

There is no justification to even ask for credit card info, if the game comes with a FREE month.

Justify as you may need, but there is NO REASON.  The game was already paid for with 1 month.

Bill after the free time expires.  No at install, not during the 1st month  .. but AFTER.

It just comes off lame.  Many other game companies that adopted this practice were considered lame in the past.  ZeniMax / Bethesda is no different.

It's just a way to sucker people negligent on their bills to forget cancelling their account.  If a game is good with numbers, it will stand on its own, not rely on people who forgot to unsubscribe, to "pad" their numbers.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

..for very, very few people  (those complaining here) in which case there is no harm regardless, except for the emotional panic some feel when they don't understand how such charges work (especially in the case of American Express, where most of these misunderstandings took place)...

This fee in not refunded "in theory"..it is common practice for many things, from hotel rooms to other online purchases...welcome to the 21st century :)

Yeah because mmorpg.com represents the entire ESO base right? if you want to make and educated guess how many people have been effected by this check customer support forums..they even got a sticky up for the same.

Very very few people...sure whatever makes you feel better bud. I have played and subbed to every MMO release and i have never been charged upfront a monthly, quarterly or an yearly fee. They made an error and used the 'pre authorization' excuse to get off the hook.

Originally posted by Mardy
    Are people new to MMORPG's?  It's always been done like this, you enter your cc & subscription info, you don't get charged until your 30 day free is over.

Not all MMOS do this. WOW for example never asked me for CC or time cards till my 30 days were over.

I find that hard to believe since, when I bought WoW back in 2004, I had to run my ass back across town to Best Buy to buy a time card just so that I could get in the game. I was still playing Diablo II at the time and some friends finally convinced me to pick up WoW. They didn't tell me anything about the monthly sub, so it was a surprise when I got home and found out that I had to pick a subscription method before I could even log in.

That's why I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this. It's been the same way in every sub MMO I've played. I had to put in my Debit info just to log in when I bought LotRO. Hell just recently when I bought my PS4 I had to put my info in just to get my free week of PS+ and free $20 for my PS Store Wallet at which point it forced me to sub for automatic wallet refills. This sort of thing isn't anything new.

I bought WoW back then and I never had to enter credit card info.  I didn't even have a credit card then.  I plunked my hard-earned cash down and bought the game.  I played as soon as I installed it.

I don't know how, I installed the game and it asked me to create an account. Once I did it asked for the product key and then after that was in took me to a page to set up a subscription, which is why I had to go get a time card, since I didn't have a CC back then either.

Maybe there would have been some way to cancel out of it and go ahead and log in after account creation, I don't know. But, following the process as Blizzard intended it had me signing up for a sub before I ever logged in, which is exactly what ZOS is doing to these people now. It isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Early WoW?

That sounds like later WoW, when Blizzard got hungry for money instead of quality gaming.......

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

There is no justification to even ask for credit card info, if the game comes with a FREE month.

Justify as you may need, but there is NO REASON.  The game was already paid for with 1 month.

Bill after the free time expires.  No at install, not during the 1st month  .. but AFTER.

It just comes off lame.  Many other game companies that adopted this practice were considered lame in the past.  ZeniMax / Bethesda is no different.

It's just a way to sucker people negligent on their bills to forget cancelling their account.  If a game is good with numbers, it will stand on its own, not rely on people who forgot to unsubscribe, to "pad" their numbers.

Yes there is...just like every MMO ever that has had a sub. They ALWAYS ask for the info. The charge/chargeback is different per game. Not sure why in the nine hells people are freaking out here. Always been done.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

It's not charged until the charge is posted, there's a reason cc statements have a "pending" section.  It shows you who is authorizing the cc.  Anybody who's familiar with cc should know you don't get worried about these pending charges, there's no harm or foul until it's posted.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Originally posted by Hrotha

Quoting TamrielFoundry:

So this is the deal, We bought the Imperial Edition Saved for, collected yay… But you have to subscribe with a CC/Paypal to activate your account…
    Or you have to buy a time card… in Australia That’s $30 for 2 months…
    Fantastic…
    The GF is pretty much in the ‘F*ck this game, f*ck ZOS’ mentality atm… as students we have to manage the little money we have, and extra $30 on top of our past months of saving to get The Imp Ed just to use our “free” 30 days is BS… Credit cards are a no, and you need one for Paypal to properly work… paying and extra $30 is the only option we have apparently… fantastic…

Should there be an option to redeem your free 30 without payment?
    Anyone else in a similar situation?

Can you believe it? You have to buy game-time if you have no CC or paypal account. So much for "free 30 days"...

This is so disgusting, exploiting any means possible...

Are you really doing this? Are you really stepping on this train, dear gamers, you who are currently playing this game? This gets a very new and exciting episode if you do

You are mistaken or lying...you choose

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    This is standard practice for AAA MMOs. If you get this mad over it, play a different genre or a f2p MMO with an optional sub. Sounds like you need to get the GF in check...you always follow her lead? J/K....LOL....but yeah be the man.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

It appears to me that the vast majority of people here realize that this is standard practice. Like it or not. 

All these new kids on the internet. Making me feel old.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    What i would love to know is why I am being charged in EUROS and not USD? With Euros it is an extra 4 dollars or so more per month than if I was charged in the standard USD :/
    Originally posted by Jinxys
    What i would love to know is why I am being charged in EUROS and not USD? With Euros it is an extra 4 dollars or so more per month than if I was charged in the standard USD :/

LOL...whew

No it isn't. It's the same.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Yeah if you are not in US you will be charged in EUROS no matter where you live.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

LOL...whew

Not in my currency it is not. It is considerably more than if I was using USD.

Yeah if you are not in US you will be charged in EUROS no matter where you live.

Okay thanks. Not happy about that. Having to pay the extra for the EURO currency. But I will have to deal with it

LOL...whew

Not in my currency it is not. It is considerably more than if I was using USD.

I'm going to play ignorant and pretend you mean that you are paying more than the conversion rate...right? As in you pay MORE in euros than the equivalent in US dollars? Or are you just ignoring that they are different?

Yes there is...just like every MMO ever that has had a sub. They ALWAYS ask for the info. The charge/chargeback is different per game. Not sure why in the nine hells people are freaking out here. Always been done.

It wasn't always done.

And just because current MMORPG / games want to make instant money doesn't justify any part of the "free" month that comes with games.  They earn bonus's often times anways, because people sign up for plans they forget about.  Marketers love these people.

But charging for a 30-day subscription, on a game that has a free 30-day key, is LAME!!!

WoW didn't have that.  EQ1 didn't have that.  But still people gamed and loved what they saw.  They got billed after the 30 days that game with their key, assuming they liked what they saw and subscribed.  AFTER the 30 DAYS.  Not before, not during, but AFTER.

Early games were made by gamers, that's the point of interest. Nowadays it seems new mainstream game companies are run by marketers and accountants, rather than gamers.  It's evident.  It's a shame.

The writing is on the wall :(

It wasn't always done.

And just because current MMORPG / games want to make instant money doesn't justify any part of the "free" month that comes with games.  They earn bonus's often times anways, because people sign up for plans they forget about.  Marketers love these people.

But charging for a 30-day subscription, on a game that has a free 30-day key, is LAME!!!

WoW didn't have that.  EQ1 didn't have that.  But still people gamed and loved what they saw.  They got billed after the 30 days that game with their key, assuming they liked what they saw and subscribed.  AFTER the 30 DAYS.  Not before, not during, but AFTER.

Early games were made by gamers, that's the point of interest. Nowadays it seems new mainstream game companies are run by marketers and accountants, rather than gamers.  It's evident.  It's a shame.

The writing is on the wall :(

WoW and EQ1 did so have that. All info was entered...what the hell are you talking about?

Stop even talking about ESO charging for the 30 day thing...it has been fixed.

All MMOs wanted the info included in the sub area. In order to set up your payment schedule.

This discussion has been closed.