Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The One Old School RPG to rule them all!

1234568»

Comments

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by prowess

I read almost every one of Tolkein's books..  I love "High Adventure."  However, I do not care for the shallow movies you've listed.  And I don't care for ESO.

My tastes are too sophisticated to enjoy ESO.

Well theres your reason, your tastes are not ESO, its as simple as that, if you don't like Conan the Barbarian, which was an all time great Old School High Adventure movie, then it doesn't surprise me that you do not like ESO. 

ESO only appeals to people who like campy films from the 80s and not people who read ACTUAL "Old School High Adventure" books..  Got it.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I read almost every one of Tolkein's books..  I love "High Adventure."  However, I do not care for the shallow movies you've listed.  And I don't care for ESO.

Well theres your reason, your tastes are not ESO, its as simple as that, if you don't like Conan the Barbarian, which was an all time great Old School High Adventure movie, then it doesn't surprise me that you do not like ESO. 

ESO only appeals to people who like campy films from the 80s and not people who read ACTUAL "Old School High Adventure" books..  Got it.

LOL, took you a while to come up with that one.  But again its easily broken down further.  You see, you have selective wants in the Old School High Adventer Genre,  you like parts and pieces, but You do not like the whole pie! 

For someone like me who loves all of the pie, every last ounce of it!   I'm a die hard Old School High Adventure fan, of everything of that genre,  You on the other hand are a selective type, in which I can understand someone who is not die hard having a hard time liking ESO expecially when they do not like Conan the barbarian, which is the way it leans.   One of the closest things that ESO is to in the Old School High Adventure Genre is Conan the Barbarian so as it skews more in that direction of the genre, I can, again, understand how you would not like it.... 

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

LOL, took you a while to come up with that one.  But again its easily broken down further.  You see, you have selective wants in the Old School High Adventer Genre,  you like parts and pieces, but You do not like the whole pie! 

For someone like me who loves all of the pie, every last ounce of it!   I'm a die hard Old School High Adventure fan, of everything of that genre,  You on the other hand are a selective type, in which I can understand someone who is not die hard having a hard time liking ESO.   One of the closest things that ESO is to in the Old School High Adventure Genre, is Conan the Barbarian so as it skews more in that direction of the genre, I can, again, understand how you would not like it.... 

Like others already mentioned..NOPE. not even close. I am sorry but if that is what you think i doubt you even read Conan books.

Now you can repeat yourself a million times more doesn't mean its true.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by Zalmon

For someone like me who loves all of the pie, every last ounce of it!   I'm a die hard Old School High Adventure fan, of everything of that genre,  You on the other hand are a selective type, in which I can understand someone who is not die hard having a hard time liking ESO.   One of the closest things that ESO is to in the Old School High Adventure Genre, is Conan the Barbarian so as it skews more in that direction of the genre, I can, again, understand how you would not like it.... 

Like others already mentioned..NOPE. not even close. I am sorry but if that is what you think i doubt you even read Conan books.

Now you can repeat yourself a million times more doesn't mean its true.

Well lets have a look shall we.   I like revisiting the past like this, its nostalgia!

1.  Adventure.  main focus of storyline,  Check.  Defeating a huge snake for a gem the size of a fist, check!  Defeating a cult followers god like Set, (molag bal)  Check.

2.  Swords, Magic, Resurection.  Check.  He was raised for the cost of a sacrifice.

4.  Thief, Warrior, Archer, Caster.   Check

5.  Cults that worshiped strange Gods,  Check.  Daedric Primces, and Aedra.

6.  God that granted favors?  "Do you want to live forever?"/ Crom and other dieties.

7.  Barbaric World fighting over power like in Conan's timeline?  Check.  Fighting over Cyrodil for power.

8.  Deity Sacrifices?  Check.  Dark anchors require blood sacrifices, just as Set priests required blood sacrifices.

I'm sure you could find a lot more to look at, but the feel and look to ESO gives it a lot of the same characteristics of Conan the Barbarian and is also heavily based on High Adventure of the same type as Conan the Barbarians type of Old School High  Adventures genre.

Can we do the same with LOTR and  J.R.R.  Tolkien's books,   to some extent yes.   It was a different type of adventure and was in a timeline much unlike what we see in Conan the Barbarian or ESO.  One could say its more of a Light hearted High Adventure which was not quite as savage as the age of Conan the Barbarian times and ESO's time.   You did not have the rise of Cults, or blood sacrifices like in Conan, ect.  it was much less primitive.   I loved the Hobbit, LOTR, every single series from it.  Do I think it fits ESO  100%  No.   Do I think its in the same Genre?  Yes. 

After having said that, can I understand how someone who loves J.R.R Tolkien but hates Conan the Barbarian could possibly not like ESO.  Definitely,  because of the comparisons of the two types of content each of them are inside the Old School High Adventure Genre.   As I have shown you, ESO leans a lot toward the Conan the Barbarian of the genre then other parts of the genre.   Now...

Let them eat cake!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Damn, you really want the Elder Scrolls universe to sound like Conan. There is already a game for you.

Age of Conan

It's a pretty awesome game too. I think another fitting game in the style you are asking would be DDO. Really the only similarity between Elder Scrolls and Conan is that they are both fantasy. I just have to assume the only thing you actually know about Conan is the movie and it's difficult for you to differentiate the vastly different styles.

On the other hand... whatever. You can keep preaching that it's like Conan. I don't see why you want it to be like Conan so badly. To me that just seems strange. I understand liking the Elder Scrolls lore and style. I think it's pretty awesome myself. Do you feel like the Elder Scrolls stuff doesn't stand up on its own or something?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    I reckon 2-3 more pages and he calls in a mod to lock the thread so he doesn't make a further ass of himself.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

Damn, you really want the Elder Scrolls universe to sound like Conan. There is already a game for you.

Age of Conan

It's a pretty awesome game too. I think another fitting game in the style you are asking would be DDO. Really the only similarity between Elder Scrolls and Conan is that they are both fantasy. I just have to assume the only thing you actually know about Conan is the movie and it's difficult for you to differentiate the vastly different styles.

On the other hand... whatever. You can keep preaching that it's like Conan. I don't see why you want it to be like Conan so badly. To me that just seems strange. I understand liking the Elder Scrolls lore and style. I think it's pretty awesome myself. Do you feel like the Elder Scrolls stuff doesn't stand up on its own or something?

Like i said earlier ESO is like disneyland compared to Conan. Most of his comparisons are so vague that you can fit any old fanatsy book in there and we can compare all three. He is just reaching and desperately trying to dig for points to compare the two. 

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I don't see how Elder Scrolls is high adventure, yet WoW (or let's be fair, the Warcraft universe as a whole) isn't. In Warcraft you fight against legions of bloodthirsty demons, defy evil dragons, overthrow corrupt warlords, battle crazed mages, climb high mountains, soar through the skies on magical creatures, explore lands full of mystery and wonder, and navigate political intrigue.

In TES you do... well, pretty much the same thing. The specifics may differ, but ultimately you're doing the exact same things.

In LOTRO it's much the same. And so on, and so forth.

I don't see what games like EQ or ESO (the former of which is a grindfest, and I can't recall where Conan, Kull, Aragorn, Thrall, Khelben Blackstaff, or any character ever stayed in one area grinding on vicious rodents for a couple hours) do which qualifies them as any different in that respect.

Edit: And I will add that Bigdaddyx is completely correct in saying that comparing TES to Howard's fantasy work (Conan and Kull, for the most part) is laughable. Howard's worlds are incredibly gritty and brutal, and comparisons to Warhammer or Diablo's world of Sanctuary, while still not equal, are at least plausible.

Tamriel and Middle Earth are child's amusement parks compared to the Hyborean Age.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Reading this thread, and even trying to partake in it, I can't shake the feeling that with the repetative use of "Old School High Adventure" that has continued so rampantly by the OP, we've been trolled.  If that is the case, then I must say hats off to you sir, best damn troll I've come across in a good long while.

If it's not the case, then the rampant "I do not think that means what you think it means" line echoing in my noggin every time I see him use that phrase, I fear has more truth than comedy in it.  In which case, I also get the feeling that the OP is simply a huge fan of  Dino De Laurentiis And John Milius...or maybe he just likes the way Mako spoke his lines.

I will say, props to him for loving ESO so much, hope it brings him many days of joy.

• Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by Cuppett5
    Comparing this game to Asheron's Call should be a sin. AC was an open world non linear PVP masterpiece. This game is with the new school MMOS and classified as a themepark to someone who has played old school MMOS. This is a good themepark MMO for enjoyment and boredom til EQ:Next or one of the new sandbox MMOs are released. We can only cross our fingers and hope that the sandbox games can deliver that old school feeling of adventure and deliver some hardcore PVP.

Actually I'm not comparing any game to ESO.   What I am saying is that the genre as a whole, the High Adventure style genre,  was used to create ESO, the same EXACT reaons Asherons Call was made, are the EXACT same reasons ESO was made, how could you not see that?   

Did you miss all the movies, games, core principles of high adventure days we used to live in as a youth?  I don't want you to reply right away, think about this one first.... 

Search deep within yourself and see why AC was even created, surely the developers had a vision...   Where did THAT vision come from?   Then look at ESO and ask yourself, where di the vision come from that created it?    There you will find your answer.   

Hint:  It exists in the old school culture of the high adventure genre.

Old School: 1: Traditionalists: a group of people who adhere to traditional or old-fashioned values and practices.    2: Characteristic or evocative of an earlier or ORIGINAL style, manner, or form. 

(The old fashion culture that made AC is the Original Style that existed in movies, books, games, ect. is the same old fashioned culture that made ESO)

Unfortunately, I don't see your culture of the "high adventure game" when I log on ESO to play. AC you were free to roam, hunt and lvl off the lore of the land, and do quests that involved adventure such as The SoLL. These themepark quests that  ESO has holds your hand and direct you where to go. There is no sense of adventure when you are told where to go. 

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    no offence but isee nothing from oldschool here,im so play oldschool game were  GG trying to have maps ,weres theres no quets ttrack ,were you need to play  like  1-2 day to lvl up just 1 lvl and grind the sht to lvl up thats oldschool and not nonsence  2-3 day max lvl sht  that we have now day . whit few content and  sht endgame

Lotr is a small sliver of the Tolkien world.
  • AkaashaAkaasha Member Posts: 6

Some of you really seem to have burning hate towards this game and just want to see it burn.

I started reading this forums in anticipation of coming games (including this one) as these forums are advertised for people who enjoy mmorpg's but I don't really see that in here at all. Makes me wonder what sort mmorpg's some of you play or if you play any at all. As most of you seem to hate the rpg-genre overall.

Of course I look back at older games with fond memories, but it's the memories of them that are nice, the game mechanics were poor by today's standard because the genre didn't really evolve much until WoW came. Do people really want to go back to grinding giants in the Thundering Steppes for hours on end and then moving to Ruins of Varsoon, switching to grind skeletons? Shouting for pt's in zones and cities and if you don't get one you log off and achieved nothing? 

Every game deserves critique but personal insults is just lame, like the poster "prowess" who already on the second page says he's disgusted by the OP. Do you talk to people like that in the pub when you have a discussion where your opinions disagree? If so some of you must be getting punched in the face quite often.

ESO is a really good game so far and I enjoy it very much. Will I still be playing it in 6 months or a year? That I don't know but I really hope so. 

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Akaasha

Some of you really seem to have burning hate towards this game and just want to see it burn.

I started reading this forums in anticipation of coming games (including this one) as these forums are advertised for people who enjoy mmorpg's but I don't really see that in here at all. Makes me wonder what sort mmorpg's some of you play or if you play any at all. As most of you seem to hate the rpg-genre overall.

Of course I look back at older games with fond memories, but it's the memories of them that are nice, the game mechanics were poor by today's standard because the genre didn't really evolve much until WoW came. Do people really want to go back to grinding giants in the Thundering Steppes for hours on end and then moving to Ruins of Varsoon, switching to grind skeletons? Shouting for pt's in zones and cities and if you don't get one you log off and achieved nothing? 

Every game deserves critique but personal insults is just lame, like the poster "prowess" who already on the second page says he's disgusted by the OP. Do you talk to people like that in the pub when you have a discussion where your opinions disagree? If so some of you must be getting punched in the face quite often.

ESO is a really good game so far and I enjoy it very much. Will I still be playing it in 6 months or a year? That I don't know but I really hope so. 

Amen

Originally posted by Akaasha

It's not the niceties of the game that we're having issue with.  It's the direction the core of the game has taken.

I'm currently playing Shadowbane and I just got into the EQ:L beta..  Both games offer something unique.  ESO is just a freshly polished turd.  I'm disgusted that someone would emit the propaganda that ESO is "Old School."

Here's the thing about being a man..  I can tell someone at the pub that I'm disgusted with them and I can then stick my chin out in their direction and I can deal with the consequences of my words.  

I hope you and all other LWFB (little whiney f@%%0^ 8!^$&) enjoy the heck out of ESO.

• AkaashaAkaasha Member Posts: 6

I hope you and all other LWFB (little whiney f@%%0^ 8!^$&) enjoy the heck out of ESO.

Nice. 

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by sethman75

Well said OP.

Kids these days don't appreciate what made the core of those experiences, fun and adventure.

Both of which you can't get if you rush to cap in 1 day and say the game sucks.

I will be playing TESO carefully and enjoying it for months, the way it is meant to be played.

Agreed

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist