Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About the sub...

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Xsorus

I'm sorry, if you're getting overdrafted on $15.....That's your damn problem.. and its a very serious life problem.

At no point should you ever let a bank account fall below $100...If you do.. you're clearly haven't mastered basic skills in life.

True, but "that aside" it's not illegal to have your account fall below $100.00 and heck, one can even imagine that you have low income (for many reasons) but you are still putting money into a retirement account (so being fiscally responsible) and one month you had a few costs go over so you are under $100 and then bang an you only have $10 for two days and then bam you get the 15.00 charge which causes an issue.

It's not a great way to live but it's possible for those who are students, people who are starting out, people who were laid off from a low paying job to begin with and had to take an even lower paying job.

The issue is not how people are managing their finances because this problem wasn't directly caused by how they manage their finances. Meaning that they could have had all that "stuff happen" and think "whoa, good thing I have no other charges until pay day where I will be fine" and then "bam" antoher charge.

At the end of the day, Zenimax shouldn't have taken that money out, it was an error and one that has happened in the past (look at LOTRO) and they need to reimburse their players (which they are) and as I've said, the bank (if people aren't raging balls of anger and issues about it) should be able to get those charges waived.

Provided this isn't the status quo for them and they aren't always having over charges.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Xsorus

I'm sorry, if you're getting overdrafted on $15.....That's your damn problem.. and its a very serious life problem.

At no point should you ever let a bank account fall below $100...If you do.. you're clearly haven't mastered basic skills in life.

True, but "that aside" it's not illegal to have your account fall below $100.00 and heck, one can even imagine that you have low income (for many reasons) but you are still putting money into a retirement account (so being fiscally responsible) and one month you had a few costs go over so you are under $100 and then bang an you only have $10 for two days and then bam you get the 15.00 charge which causes an issue.

It's not a great way to live but it's possible for those who are students, people who are starting out, people who were laid off from a low paying job to begin with and had to take an even lower paying job.

The issue is not how people are managing their finances because this problem wasn't directly caused by how they manage their finances. Meaning that they could have had all that "stuff happen" and think "whoa, good thing I have no other charges until pay day where I will be fine" and then "bam" antoher charge.

At the end of the day, Zenimax shouldn't have taken that money out, it was an error and one that has happened in the past (look at LOTRO) and they need to reimburse their players (which they are) and as I've said, the bank (if people aren't raging balls of anger and issues about it) should be able to get those charges waived.

Provided this isn't the status quo for them and they aren't always having over charges.

Someone please explain to me how Zenimax is removing money from people's bank accounts, when all said people provided was their credit card number?

• uidLuc1duidLuc1d Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by Rusque
    The problem is last night, Zenimax charged many people for a sub prior to their included 30 days.

Yes but that problem is fixed and those people are being credited back.

Indeed, but Zenimax is not compensating those who where hit with Overdraft Charges for the unexpected Withdrawal. It was an accident, but it is more impacting than some people are realizing.

...if $15 overdrafts your account, online gaming should be the least of your worries there killer.

Originally posted by uidLuc1d
    The problem is last night, Zenimax charged many people for a sub prior to their included 30 days.

Indeed, but Zenimax is not compensating those who where hit with Overdraft Charges for the unexpected Withdrawal. It was an accident, but it is more impacting than some people are realizing.

...if $15 overdrafts your account, online gaming should be the least of your worries there killer.

How is money being automatically withdrawn from people's bank accounts, when all they did was provide their credit card number?

Why isnt this the topic of discussion?

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

You should read the entire thread. The account in question was my 9 year old son's that he puts his allowance into to put towards his hobbies. He saved enough for the game and tax. Did not have enough left for the mistaken charge from Zenimax, as he believed he had 30 days to earn enough for his Sub.

Now that I have caught you up, please try to gain all relevant information before setting off your Zingers.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Originally posted by doodphace

How is money being automatically withdrawn from people's bank accounts, when all they did was provide their credit card number?

It was addressed, on the first page:  "Yes but that problem is fixed and those people are being credited back."

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Celdryn

Question before I start: Why does a 9 year old have a bank account? 

Frankly...if you have less than 15 bucks in your bank account you DO have financial problems. Regardless of whether or not it your own fault .  I was a broke college kid once and I understand that you can run into money issues but seriously? This isn't fanboism, this is common sense. 

Personal advise: have a min balance you keep in your accounts. Treat 50 or 100 bucks like 0 and you don't run into this.

Because my son is nearly a teenager and would like to start learning financial responsibility. He has planned his finances to be adequate for any forseen charges. He had $6 remaining in his account and would have made another $20 by them time the sub was supposed to be charged. Zenimax has admitted they made a mistake, but a 9 year old has to foot the bill.

A kid paying for a video game has financial problems.... wow.

The problem is most people hide their financial practices from their children as something they don't need to know.  There are college kids who have zero ability to handle their finances because the parents always handled that stuff.  Financial experts on the other hand believe it's important to teach kids about money at an early age.  That way they have practiced controlled spending, always having float in their accounts, emergency funds, savings, etc.  A side effect of this is other people always go to them for loans.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

It was addressed, on the first page:  "Yes but that problem is fixed and those people are being credited back."

And has since turned into "If you have a problem with it, you must be financially stupid and should not play games." Much easier to do that than point out faults in something you enjoy right?

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by FlawSGI

And has since turned into "If you have a problem with it, you must be financially stupid and should not play games." Much easier to do that than point out faults in something you enjoy right?

You are not understanding my question. If you give your credit card number, the very most they could do is overcharge your credit card, not widthdraw money form your bank account. I am not suggesting that zenimax didn't overcharge, or charge when they weren;t supposed to, but how the hell did they get your bank account infromation when all you provided them, and all they asked for, was your credit card number?

Unless banking capabilities where the person in question is from are completely different than most other places in the world, this sounds realllllllllly fishy.

You are not understanding my question. If you give your credit card number, the very most they could do is overcharge your credit card, not widthdraw money form your bank account. I am not suggesting that zenimax didn't overcharge, or charge when they weren;t supposed to, but how the hell did they get your bank account infromation when all you provided them, and all they asked for, was your credit card number?

Unless banking capabilities where the person in question is from are completely different than most other places in the world, this sounds realllllllllly fishy.

You are aware of what a debt card is... right?

Of course I do. You are aware of what a credit card is... right?

Originally posted by doodphac

Of course I do, whcih is different from a pure credit card.

When an online retailer requests your "credit card" they are requesting a card that is capable of being used as a credit card, not ONLY a credit card.  Considering that debt cards are capable of being processed as a credit card ( hence why debt cards feature logos such as "Visa" or "Mastercard" ), entering a your debt card number will suffice the same.  Once money is charged to your debt card, it is removed from your bank account in the time frame that it takes for the charge to be processed ( in the case of Chase Banking nearly instantly, depending on the retailer )....

A Debt Card is little more than a ATM Card with Credit Card capabilities...

I thought you were messing with me, then I saw you are from Canada so I will assume you aren't playing the semantic game and things are different up there. A lot of people do not use the term Credit Card as meaning just a credit card, but as a debit card as well. So when people here are saying their accounts were drawn from or "authorized", they are referring to their actual bank accounts since they used a debit card instead of a "credit card". 

I thought you were messing with me, then I saw you are from Canada so I will assume you aren't playing the semantic game and things are different up there. A lot of people do not use the term Credit Card as meaning just a credit card, but as a debit card as well. So when people here are saying their accounts were drawn from or "authorized", they are referring to their actual bank accounts since they used a debit card instead of a "credit card". 

I guess thats my bad then. I was assuming when people said credit card, they ment an actual credit card.

I totally was not playing a symantics game. In my provance, we call credit cards, credit cards. We call debt card, debt cards or in some cases, interact cards, seeing as its the largest debt card service company. Debt cards that can actually be used as credit cards, we refer to as "visa checking" cards etc, depending on the company

Thanks for clarifying that

I guess thats my bad then. I was assuming when people said credit card, they ment an actual credit card.

Glad to clear the confusion. We have bad habits of throwing around terms and assuming everyone else uses it the same way. The term is very interchangeable.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

lol @ this thread

Anyway, look at it this way, ZOS has just done you a favor and taught your 9 year old (and you apparently) about "rainy day" funds and not spending to your limit.

Glad to clear the confusion. We have bad habits of throwing around terms and assuming everyone else uses it the same way. The term is very interchangeable.

I suppose they can be but there are differences.

In any case, "that" is a different thing all together and makes more sense than a 9 year old having a credit card.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Sounds like a debit card which draws funds directly from your checking account but has the credit card logo.  Ops see this has been totally covered already. drg

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Originally posted by Octagon7711

Sounds like a debit card which draws fund directly from your checking account but has the credit card logo.

This has been cleared up. They were tlaking about a debt card with credit card capabilities, not an actual credit card. Apparently in the states the term credit card is used interchangably.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Joejc7135
    Ok I understand now, so it was a bug in thier system. On the topic of people who got overdraft fees...Zenimax is not going to cover that, however when you are refunded the sub fee, the bank will remove the overdraft im pretty sure I had to go through this once. It's usually a good idea to keep at least 50 dollars in your account at all times, otherwise you probably shouldn't be charging things on it.

You sir are a very smart person. ^^

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

Because my son is nearly a teenager and would like to start learning financial responsibility. He has planned his finances to be adequate for any forseen charges. He had $6 remaining in his account and would have made another $20 by them time the sub was supposed to be charged. Zenimax has admitted they made a mistake, but a 9 year old has to foot the bill.

A kid paying for a video game has financial problems.... wow.

Really? You're not going to pay his overdraft? Yikes. Tough love, I guess. Assuming you have more money than your son it might not be a bad idea to use your accounts for billing, and actually take him to the bank to teach him how to fill out deposit and withdrawl slips so he can pay you in cash each month, directly. It also makes the money more "real" - I don't think I have to prove that seeing money go out of your hand generally keeps you from spending as carelessly as automatic withdrawls, charge and debit cards. It's a good lesson, and FWIW I don't think its odd at all for a nine year old to have a bank account.

Not trying to throw a parenting lesson in here, just some food for thought from one parent to another.

- Nellus

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Ok I understand now, so it was a bug in thier system. On the topic of people who got overdraft fees...Zenimax is not going to cover that, however when you are refunded the sub fee, the bank will remove the overdraft im pretty sure I had to go through this once. It's usually a good idea to keep at least 50 dollars in your account at all times, otherwise you probably shouldn't be charging things on it.

If you can't keep $50 in your bank account then I think a video game should be the least of your concerns.

This has been cleared up. They were tlaking about a debt card with credit card capabilities, not an actual credit card. Apparently in the states the term credit card is used interchangably.

but it shouldn't.

I don't know of anyyone who uses them interchangeably as they operate very differently. It could be regional or just someone's way of simplifying the terminology.

Here in parts of the states all "soda" is "Coke". Doesn't matter if it's actually "Coca Cola".

Originally posted by nbtscan

If you can't keep $50 in your bank account then I think a video game should be the least of your concerns.

Your username... oh god... it's 1990 and I'm a budding hacker all over again.

Originally posted by Sovrath

but it shouldn't.

I don't know of anyyone who uses them interchangeably as they operate very differently. It could be regional or just someone's way of simplifying the terminology.

Here in parts of the states all "soda" is "Coke". Doesn't matter if it's actually "Coca Cola".

Thats what had me confused and questioning it to begin with, but i am chalking it up to reginal difference with good faith. I have never in my life heard someone refer to anything but an actual credit card, as a credit card.