Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP: An awesome experience!

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

As you know...I do not like MMO's, even though I play them, as I feel they are inferior to single player or old fashioned multiplayer.

However, I do enjoy a good PvP system in a MMO, and have played more PvP in MMOs than sometimes PvE.

Also, I do not like monthly subs, nor was I impressed with ESO's ability to bring new things to the MMO table.

I was wrong....

I played PvP for the first time last night, albiet..avoiding some of the problem campaigns where organized guilds over powered the unorganized...is that really a problem?

Regardless, i was in a 100% random group which started with 4 players and within 30 minutes was at least 12 players, and an additional 20-30 other players in other groups.

The map is HUGE......HUGE...with all kinds of terrain features, including Keeps, Farms, Lumber Mills, and tons of other stuff..basically the structures and things you would expect in such a real world setting in RL.

The cool thing is that I am only level 10, and out geared...yet....with the boosts I obtained, I was able to contribute over the course of an hour by killing 3 other players, helping kill several others, and lots of healing to my team.

Only died twice.

The great thing is that the map lends itself to more than just a group or groups, but actual player formed armies!

I swear! if guilds organize and form groups, the potential of massive uber battles on this large battlefield will be incredible.

I also earned 2 pieces of gear, but moreover had a ton of fun.

BAH! Forget about WoWs BGs...this put them to shame big time.

For example, in WoW the largest BG was Alterac valley..one big zerg in which you run with, although you could zerb on this battlefield, organization, tactics, and strategy will in the end win out..the way it should be.

I had really enjoyed Age of Conan's sieges too, but this puts that to shame as well.

Forget LOTRO's battlefields as well, not even close. Warhammer Online...hhhhmmmm huge map one big zerg or nobody (feast or famine)....well that game was abandoned by its Devs after EA bought it, so it dont count.

In the end, might have to cancel my cable TV subscription and use that money towards a sub to ESO.

Also, most importantly...and I cannot stress this enough...this is NOT a game where you will see cartoony, bright clown suits like in WoW or cutesy tootsy stuff like pandas and baby dinosaurs....no it is a more serious atmosphere and more realistic. And MOREOVER, perfect for IMMERSION!

I do not feel I am part of a rat race, it does not feel like a chore or a job, like other MMOs especially WoW.

Ans as you know, the ESO BETA actually made me go back to WoW....not so for the ESO release.

A much much better game, you just have to take time to smell the roses...it is an immersive game.

For example, are you the type that likes to sit in a tower withyour wax candles and research Alchemy?

Well...the way Alchemy is researched will have you mad scientist types drooling....testing, sampling, creating, researching.

So again, if you want a rat race where kiddies are racing to completion avoiding RL to be uber and throw it in your face, then this game is not for you...but..if you have been thirsting for immersion....to get lost in a world, its people and even other players and guilds...I think this game (ESO) just might be it.

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

It's a general consensus that melee pvp in ESO needs alot of help, most people I have seen playing as melee has just been standing there until they can run forward to the next location they can stand at. Melee hasn't really been viable.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Battlerock

It's a general consensus that melee pvp in ESO needs alot of help, most people I have seen playing as melee has just been standing there until they can run forward to the next location they can stand at. Melee hasn't really been viable.

Only way melee is going to have a chance in pvp is implementing some type of charge/intercept/intervene like WoW.

This pull target to you feature they have implemented for Dragonknights called Fiery Reach is supposed to the same as a close the gap quick skill would...not as good though.

If I was melee I would make sure my class was either a stealther or had really good self heals.

From what I have seen casters and archers got it too easy and the range their effective at, is nutz.

The combat animations are laughable at best. Guess we got a long ways to go concerning real time combat animations in a MMORPG.

One huge plus for ESO is the size and scope of the PvP battlefield. Also the fact that the PvP area and design was developed by former Dark Age of Camelot developers.

Siege equipment looks pretty cool and fairily interesting.

The Zerg factor is always going to be an issue with large scale PvP.  Though with the large scale battlefield a lot of this can be avoided for small skirmishes and stealth mission.

Face the fact folks end game is PvP

Console is where this game will flourish

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    That all sounds really cool, but I can't see it being that much fun with how horribly clunky the combat is.
  • kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by DMKano

I guess you've never played vanilla DAoC.

Cyrodiil is done very well, but DAoC was still better even with its crappy engine.

My opinion.

DAoC is the King of "siege" pvp / RvRvR. I enjoyed it immensely and always compare any new MMO's attempt at "siege" pvp to DAoC.

That said, DAoC's RvRvR was fairly vanilla at the start.  It had time to grow into what I remember as the best pvp I've enjoyed.  I think, my opinion, ESO is as close to DAoC as anything since... and it just launched.  Imagine how good the gameplay will be after it matures for a year or so.  After the players mature with the game.  Real pvp guilds form and real alliances form.  We are in for a treat.. more to come for sure.

ESO has a chance to be the best RvRvR ever made.  I hope it does surpass DAoC.  That is a big hope.. but don't we the gamers deserve nothing less?

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

That depends on your playstyle. If you just stand with a zerg and 100 people are firing spells and shooting bows at you, well, mele isn't going to be an option until our zerg leaders organizes and figures out how to push. Guilds will learn this, post videos, and teach people on the map how to push. The people posting in zone chat LFG Blue Road, or type 123 to join Ales seige isn't going to be very organized. With 1/4 of the people going one way, 1/4 going another, 1/4 chasing one guy, and 1/4 trying to get people to push forward.

Or if you change your play style from zerging to group play mele is really awesome. I don't zerg. I play with guild who I've played with for years. We don't stand in the middle of the zerg vs zerg battles, but move around those fights and hit groups of players on the fringes of the enemy zerg and kill players on the road/paths trying to reinforce the zerg. At a constested siege we go behind the keep and block the postern doors until the siege opens the way in. Playing as a small ambush group I can tell you myself and our other nightblades and mele players have ported, stunned and killed the enemy before our range can really get more then one shot off or spell off. Our healing staff and destruction staff/bow players complain we kill too fast. 

If it is a prolonged group vs group fight and we blow our magicka/stamina our ranged members get a lot more action.

Mele is very viable, but it depends on how you play.

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Only way melee is going to have a chance in pvp is implementing some type of charge/intercept/intervene like WoW.

This pull target to you feature they have implemented for Dragonknights called Fiery Reach is supposed to the same as a close the gap quick skill would...not as good though.

If I was melee I would make sure my class was either a stealther or had really good self heals.

From what I have seen casters and archers got it too easy and the range their effective at, is nutz.

The combat animations are laughable at best. Guess we got a long ways to go concerning real time combat animations in a MMORPG.

One huge plus for ESO is the size and scope of the PvP battlefield. Also the fact that the PvP area and design was developed by former Dark Age of Camelot developers.

The Zerg factor is always going to be an issue with large scale PvP.  Though with the large scale battlefield a lot of this can be avoided for small skirmishes and stealth mission.

They have melee charge abilities:   1hander + shield ability = Shield Charge and... 2 hander - critical charge and Nightblade class has a  teleport strike 

And can't wait to prove you wrong on the end game only PvP... stay tuned haha

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

1h/shield and 2H skill trees both have a charge. DK has the pull and a knockdown. Sorcs have a root and a slow. 1/h Shield has an interrupt, there are plenty of charge and interrupts in this game. Melees like myself are doing find in PvP.