Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About the sub...

Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
Forgive me if I'm breaking rules but I am very confused. A thread was up about ESO charging an "upfront sub"...It was locked can I assume because it was false and it works like other sub mmo's where you enter your cc info and they only charge you after your free month is up? Or if I was to buy the game, would I be charged for the game and a sub? Can anyone please clarify?

Comments

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Joejc7135
    Forgive me if I'm breaking rules but I am very confused. A thread was up about ESO charging an "upfront sub"...It was locked can I assume because it was false and it works like other sub mmo's where you enter your cc info and they only charge you after your free month is up? Or if I was to buy the game, would I be charged for the game and a sub? Can anyone please clarify?

You get a free month, like every other sub MMO. You also have to input your cc info to set up a recurring sub fee, like every other mmo. There's nothing stopping anyone from setting that up and immediately cancelling it, as some people do with new mmos before they're sure they want to keep going.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    The problem is last night, Zenimax charged many people for a sub prior to their included 30 days.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    The problem is last night, Zenimax charged many people for a sub prior to their included 30 days.

Yes but that problem is fixed and those people are being credited back.

Originally posted by Rusque

Indeed, but Zenimax is not compensating those who where hit with Overdraft Charges for the unexpected Withdrawal. It was an accident, but it is more impacting than some people are realizing.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Ok I understand now, so it was a bug in thier system. On the topic of people who got overdraft fees...Zenimax is not going to cover that, however when you are refunded the sub fee, the bank will remove the overdraft im pretty sure I had to go through this once. It's usually a good idea to keep at least 50 dollars in your account at all times, otherwise you probably shouldn't be charging things on it.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Ok I understand now, so it was a bug in thier system. On the topic of people who got overdraft fees...Zenimax is not going to cover that, however when you are refunded the sub fee, the bank will remove the overdraft im pretty sure I had to go through this once. It's usually a good idea to keep at least 50 dollars in your account at all times, otherwise you probably shouldn't be charging things on it.

It is not a bug, it is an authorisation check

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67461/bank-account-being-charged

and for the full fee, not 1.00 or 0.01 but $15 which usually takes a week to drop off

• papabear151papabear151 Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Celdryn

Indeed, but Zenimax is not compensating those who where hit with Overdraft Charges for the unexpected Withdrawal. It was an accident, but it is more impacting than some people are realizing.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

"I'll have 15 dollars in my account thirty days from now when I get my first charge, but I don't today"

Gets charged today, gets overdraft fee.

"Well it's your fault that we billed you when you werent supposed to be billed, handle your finances better"

WHAT??!?!!!!

To add: Get rid of your overdrafting crap. It's a scam. Most of the time your transactions will still go through, and many banks don't charge anything for going negative. I know at U.S. Bank they don't charge you anything for going negative unless you have "Overdraft Protection".

Overdraft Protection is basically: We can charge you for going negative

vs

We won't charge you for going negative.

Nor should they. That is an issue of personal finance problems not Zenimax. 

Yup, the 9 year old that was shovelling snow all winter to get a game he was waiting for deserves an overdraft because he thought he had 30 days to earn enough for his sub. Zenimax claimed it was a mistake on their end, but the 9 year old has to foot the bill. Sounds fair.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by superniceguy

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67461/bank-account-being-charged

and for the full fee, not 1.00 or 0.01 but $15 which usually takes a week to drop off

Pritty much this.

You need to have 13€ or 15$ avalible on account that will be used for subscription. Zenimax then amkes a 15$ transactions and makes a chargeback after that.

Problem is, the transaction has been made and for it to be refunded cant take from 2-30 days, depending on bank and many other influences ( chargeback is a complicated matter behind the scene, where customers cant see whats going on ). In that time your 15$ are locked away. The bank will refund you, but only when all clearing and setlement and fraud prevention steps have been made and that ussualy takes days. In the mean time you can not use that money. 

Normaly they MMo companies do that with 0.1 - 1$ transactions. Zenimax went full retard on this.

Originally posted by papabear151

I'm not one to hate on fanboyism very much but this is just ridiculous. It's not a personal finance problem to get an overdraft because you got charged when you werent supposed to.

"I'll have 15 dollars in my account thirty days from now when I get my first charge, but I don't today"

"Well it's your fault that we billed you when you werent supposed to be billed, handle your finances better"

WHAT??!?!!!!

To add: Get rid of your overdrafting crap. It's a scam. Most of the time your transactions will still go through, and many banks don't charge anything for going negative. I know at U.S. Bank they don't charge you anything for going negative unless you have "Overdraft Protection".

vs

If you think banks wont charge you for using their money... that is actually how banks make a profit.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84

Question before I start: Why does a 9 year old have a bank account? 

Frankly...if you have less than 15 bucks in your bank account you DO have financial problems. Regardless of whether or not it your own fault .  I was a broke college kid once and I understand that you can run into money issues but seriously? This isn't fanboism, this is common sense. 

Personal advise: have a min balance you keep in your accounts. Treat 50 or 100 bucks like 0 and you don't run into this.

Well from what I can tell Zenimax dropped the ball by not informing people about the "authorization fee". They still won't and shouldn't refund overdraft fees. Instead go to your bank and explain what happened and they will refund you the fee's. What penaltys you do or don't get is between you and your bank. EVEN IF Zenimax screwed up all they are obligated to do is refund you. You could always teach them a lesson and demand a refund and not play their game though.

What is this really dumb example about a 9 year old? Are you trying to use children to make your point stronger? Since it isn't very strong standing on it's own?

I'm not one to hate on fanboyism very much but this is just ridiculous. It's not a personal finance problem to get an overdraft because you got charged when you werent supposed to.

WHAT??!?!!!!

vs

If you think banks wont charge you for using their money... that is actually how banks make a profit.

He is right though, not all banks charge you overdrafts anymore. Wells Fargo used to charge you 35 bucks per charge into the negative...and 35 bucks for every 3 days you didn't get out of the negative. Now they don't charge you anything all. Why? The federal government passed some legislation that said they couldn't. I don't actually agree with that but it's what happened.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Paske

Pritty much this.

You need to have 13€ or 15$ avalible on account that will be used for subscription. Zenimax then amkes a 15$ transactions and makes a chargeback after that.

Problem is, the transaction has been made and for it to be refunded cant take from 2-30 days, depending on bank and many other influences ( chargeback is a complicated matter behind the scene, where customers cant see whats going on ). In that time your 15$ are locked away. The bank will refund you, but only when all clearing and setlement and fraud prevention steps have been made and that ussualy takes days. In the mean time you can not use that money. 

Normaly they MMo companies do that with 0.1 - 1$ transactions. Zenimax went full retard on this.

I just shake my head at this. Not sure why they felt the need to do an authorization check for the full amount. I also don't think that any overdrafts this causes  should  fall on the consumer. I keep all my money in savings where I earn and only allot  a small portion each month over to my regular account to cover bills. While I do give myself some leeway, I can see that if others budgeted the way we do then this could cause an unexpected charge.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

It's not a personal finance problem to get an overdraft because you got charged when you werent supposed to.

WHAT??!?!!!!

vs

I was, up until recently, an employee of U.S. Bank. I'm not defending them in anyway, they are a disgusting company who breaks the law all the time in order to make as much profit and scam as many customers as possible.

however, at the time and now, don't charge for small negative amounts, as long as you don't have "overdraft protection". When I joined the company I was setting up my checking account in the branch and asked about it.

"So basically, if I go negative without the protection I just go negative and have a few days to get the money back in there, but if I go negative WITH the protection I'll get charged all of these fees" - "Yes"

"So it's pointless and a scam" - "SHHHH" *looks at customer* "yes"

Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by Paske

Pritty much this.

I just shake my head at this. Not sure why they felt the need to do an authorization check for the full amount. I also don't think that any overdrafts this causes falls on the consumer. I keep all my money in savings where I earn and only allot  a small portion each month over to my regular account to cover bills. While I do give myself some leeway, I can see that if others budgeted the way we do then this could cause an unexpected charge.

I'm not sure why they feel the need to do one at all. Having .1 cents in your account now is no guarantee that you'll have any money in your account after the 30 days, or that the account will even exist.

They don't "need" this stuff "now", they just want to take that extra step to "help you" by making sure your account is primed and ready for billing. Ya know, just in case you forget that at the end of those 30 days they'll need money. Ya know, because not being able to log in isn't an indicator of that.

Frankly...if you have less than 15 bucks in your bank account you DO have financial problems. Regardless of whether or not it your own fault .  I was a broke college kid once and I understand that you can run into money issues but seriously? This isn't fanboism, this is common sense. 

Personal advise: have a min balance you keep in your accounts. Treat 50 or 100 bucks like 0 and you don't run into this.

Because my son is nearly a teenager and would like to start learning financial responsibility. He has planned his finances to be adequate for any forseen charges. He had $6 remaining in his account and would have made another $20 by them time the sub was supposed to be charged. Zenimax has admitted they made a mistake, but a 9 year old has to foot the bill.

A kid paying for a video game has financial problems.... wow.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

There are plenty of reasons why one might have less than 15 dollars in a checking account that have NOTHING to do with "Financial Problems"

Because my son is nearly a teenager and would like to start learning financial responsibility. He has planned his finances to be adequate for any forseen charges. He had $6 remaining in his account and would have made another $20 by them time the sub was supposed to be charged. Zenimax has admitted they made a mistake, but a 9 year old has to foot the bill.

I agree with you completely, it's crap. IMHO, use this to teach your kid how stupid spending money on crap like video games is, teach him to invest in real stuff. Make it a game, let him be rich by the time he's 30. Have him buy zenimax and fire all of the CEO's kids.

It's a good lesson, life is not fair. Get over it. And next time keep more then 6 dollars for unforeseen circumstances.

WHAT??!?!!!!

vs

I was, up until recently, an employee of U.S. Bank. I'm not defending them in anyway, they are a disgusting company who breaks the law all the time in order to make as much profit and scam as many customers as possible.

however, at the time and now, don't charge for small negative amounts, as long as you don't have "overdraft protection". When I joined the company I was setting up my checking account in the branch and asked about it.

"So basically, if I go negative without the protection I just go negative and have a few days to get the money back in there, but if I go negative WITH the protection I'll get charged all of these fees" - "Yes"

Overdraft Fees at Banks Hit a High, Despite Curbs

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304157204579475573602576630?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304157204579475573602576630.html

From the Wall Street Journal. There are measures in place to attempt to help consumers of course, but not all banks have the overdraft grace period. I understand what you are saying, but not everyone is safe.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

I just shake my head at this. Not sure why they felt the need to do an authorization check for the full amount. I also don't think that any overdrafts this causes falls on the consumer. I keep all my money in savings where I earn and only allot  a small portion each month over to my regular account to cover bills. While I do give myself some leeway, I can see that if others budgeted the way we do then this could cause an unexpected charge.

I'm not sure why they feel the need to do one at all. Having .1 cents in your account now is no guarantee that you'll have any money in your account after the 30 days, or that the account will even exist.

They don't "need" this stuff "now", they just want to take that extra step to "help you" by making sure your account is primed and ready for billing. Ya know, just in case you forget that at the end of those 30 days they'll need money. Ya know, because not being able to log in isn't an indicator of that.

Oh I agree with you, I just can accept that this is common practice for some reason. What isn't common is for authorizations to go through for full amounts, at least not in my experiences. I feel bad for anyone that this actually affects. It is only $15 but this inconvenience coupled with the issues the game has run into during its early release does not sound like good times for all. Like all MMORPG's, be patient and I am sure it will get worked out.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

WHAT??!?!!!!

vs

Overdraft Fees at Banks Hit a High, Despite Curbs

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304157204579475573602576630?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304157204579475573602576630.html

From the Wall Street Journal. There are measures in place to attempt to help consumers of course, but not all banks have the overdraft grace period. I understand what you are saying, but not everyone is safe.

Well yeah, noone is safe. Money is all imaginary and relies on the government and economy to be in tact. In reality no wealth or ownership exists beyond what we ALL agree that it does, the second someone with bigger guns decides otherwise then all that is gone. What are all the people with the "backup 100 dollars just in case" gonna do then?

There is a reason transactions take days to go through instead of immediately, there is a reason banks pay you interest, there is a reason many checking and savings accounts are free. They are spending your money, may lose it, and short of FDIC protection don't actually have your money the moment after you give it to them.

Most people don't understand how banking works, in short, it is a HUGE HUGE scam.

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84

WELP, 

I'm done here. We clearly didn't have the same parents and we didn't learn the same financial rules. Not saying yours is wrong but I know mine aren't either. Sorry for your inconvenience but Zenimax wont foot that overdraft bill as most companies do not

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    But what could be the reason that authorization has to be of full amount of a monthly sub? usually companies take 1 dollar for pre authorization. Anyone can explain that?