Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do the drastic wow changes make Wildstar more appealing to you?

BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

They do to me, I know everyone complains about their class getting nerfed, but usually there isn't a game launching that stacks up to WoW like Wildstar does. Just seems like the best time ever now to officially jump ship for good and jump on the Wildstar bandwagon.

Anyone else sitting in the middle and read the patch notes, first impressions?

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Can you link the notes you are talking about?
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I am actually excited for some of the WoW changes. The garrisons sound really cool.
  • Angrr247Angrr247 Member Posts: 5
    Yes I am out WOW is DEAD! Wildstar Rocks!
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Angrr247
    Yes I am out WOW is DEAD! Wildstar Rocks!

I guess I got my hopes up too much for Wildstar. I wasn't impressed with it at all.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/13423478/warlords-of-draenor%E2%84%A2-alpha-patch-notes-4-3-2014

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

Those changes are only drastic if you are a wow addict. It's still the same basic game with the same tab target + button sequence mechanics, with the same engine and the same kind of gameplay.

Wildstar is superficially similar (quest hubs and such) but the combat is very different. The combat in Wildstar is lifted straight out of a console platformer. Whereas no one would confuse WoW with such a game no matter the changes. Combat is the bulk of what you do in MMOs so this is a significant difference.

I don't know if I am jumping - because I am already playing ESO - which I believe will shortly become an industry heavyweight. Wildstar did feel excellent though.

What's interesting about WoW is they give players very little incentive to stick around - with all their older content being deprecated (all the raids and the dungeons basically become a waste of time - outside of the current tier). Being 'casual friendly' they have really given elitists a lot ot hang there hat on.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

Not at all, and in fact the reason Wildstar didn't appeal to me was precisely the fact it felt like World of Warcraft post-WOTLK.

If I want to play WoW, I will play it's older expansions on private servers, not the current version.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

After 10 good (not all of them ofc) years in WoW, its time for a goodbye. I played Wildstar beta and i feel i could never get back to WoW again.

First of all its something fresh. I don't want to see Orgrimmar anymore, i got enough :) I want a whole new world and not again 6-7 new areas and then dueling outside Orgrimmar once again...

The Combat of Wildstar is a piece of art. The Skill Animations are also excellent. The movement of the Characters and Mounts are also way better than WoW (and i think WoW has better movement than most of the other mmo's). Housing is something i wanted a long time now and Wildstar delivers this with an excellent way. Professions are also way better and deeper and the Dye System is well done and a great addition. Public Quests are great and the same goes for Adventures and Shiphands.

PvP is more or less the same with WoW having arenas & bg's, but with the addition of warplots its more interesting and the lack of Flying Mounts will help the OWPvP.

I wont miss Flying mounts and i hope they never get them in game. I also wont miss HC modes in Raids. This is a slack method by Blizz to add more layers of difficulty than new content. I like that Wildstar stays away from that and they focus in hard core raiding with 20 / 40 man.

Anyway, after playing Wildstar beta, for the first time after 10 years, i have the feeling i cant get back to WoW. Its time, at last, to move on.

Will indeed this is my game for years to come? Time will tell, but i have a very good feeling about it :)

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Was in the Wildstar beta to and also wasn't impressed at all...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Originally posted by snoocky

Different ppl, different tastes :)

Me and most of my rl friends/wow guild m8's absolutely loved it.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Not really, no.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Aroukos

Wildstar is still a bit rough around the edges, mainly because of terrible UI, which is about to be changed soon.

• CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I'm assuming you are fairly new to WoW, based on your rash decision over alpha notes, but in the past expansion there were many drastic changes throughout the alpha and beta processes. By the time release rolls around, there is a good chance that whatever it is that is bothering you about the alpha notes will be far different from what it is now in alpha.

On another note ... there's a good chance I won't be getting the expansion either. I'm just burned out on the game in general.
  • BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

To me, Wildstar has some appeal on its own merits.  And really, that's how it should be.

WoW changes.   It has to.  If it didn't evolve, it would be dead.  

Sure, some of the changes to WoW have been... underwhelming, to a degree.  I mean, not enough change in one area of the game, too much in other areas, and then some seemingly static and normal features that just seem to live.. through every expansion.

WoW is what WoW is.

Wildstar needs to be what Wildstar is... which is hopefully a rock solid MMO.  

My overall fear is that the biggest thing we'll hear about Wildstar upon release is... 'it's just like WoW'.

Originally posted by DeniZg

Wildstar is still a bit rough around the edges, mainly because of terrible UI, which is about to be changed soon.

This is how it will look the new UI 2.0 Coming next week

http://www.wildstar-online.com/media/uploads/images/article-images/HUD_labeled.jpg

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

http://www.wildstar-online.com/media/uploads/images/article-images/HUD_labeled.jpg

Yea.

But, I hope the other parts of UI will be changed as well (fonts, quest text boxes etc.), because text boxes with various messages (and font size 4) are popping up left and right, and I just have to close them without ever reading anything. It's a bit tiresome.

Otherwise, the gameplay is tight and the game is packed with content.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    wow is still more appealing than wildstar to me because it has the lore i want to be involved in.

Yea.

But, I hope the other parts of UI will be changes as well (fonts, quest text boxes etc.), because text boxes with various messages (and font size 4) are popping up left and right, and I just have to close them without ever reading anything. It's a bit tiresome.

Otherwise, the gameplay is tight and the game is packed with content.

They all get changed with UI 2.0

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Well my reason is that WOD offers not much enhancement to my WoW playing, not interested in fort warfare or going through a remodeled outland, I can give a crap about orc lore. I do like the new models tho, but the rest of the xpac is meh at best.

I played the WS beta and thought for it's faults it was still pretty fun and new shiny candy that could probably at least get me through summer, then I will reevaluate WOD.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Ceryshen
    I'm assuming you are fairly new to WoW, based on your rash decision over alpha notes, but in the past expansion there were many drastic changes throughout the alpha and beta processes. By the time release rolls around, there is a good chance that whatever it is that is bothering you about the alpha notes will be far different from what it is now in alpha.

On another note ... there's a good chance I won't be getting the expansion either. I'm just burned out on the game in general.

Now you know what's going to happen :-).........

The hype will increase leading up to the WoD launch, more articles will appear with some advance gameplay teasers. Then the little monkey on the shoulder will start whispering wow words of wonder in your ear, with the finisher - "just take one character through it to see what it's like"

And your back. 

Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by Ceryshen

Now you know what's going to happen :-).........

The hype will increase leading up to the WoD launch, more articles will appear with some advance gameplay teasers. Then the little monkey on the shoulder will start whispering wow words of wonder in your ear, with the finisher - "just take one character through it to see what it's like"

And your back. 

And you will get bored in a month...as always...count me too on this...

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

I didn't read about WoW changes yet but the main problem I have with WoW is how easy is to level now,no danger of dying at all,the awful changes in talents and how they took out all the interesting things which made classes different (sadly is not the only mmo making all the classes identical ,with same kind of abilities etc). Wildstar has a better/faster combat than WoW, housing from the start and not after 10 years (and it will be probably superior to garrisons) and you die quite a few times while leveling. There are group quests and elite npcs around the world,crafting looks more interesting to that of WoW and while paths are nothing revolutionary some are both fun and helpful for the other players (being able to create temporary vending,buff machines, flying taxies,sanctuary zones as a settler was nice).
    I will probably buy WoD expansion but mostly for nostalgic reasons, I have doubts that Blizz will be able to create anything new or interesting with this expansion (the last one I liked was WOTLK),if the new pvp zone will not be an improved versions of the old Alterac Valley with long fights(4-5 hours hopefully more) then the expansion has nothing really interesting for me.

edit: To answer OP question,what makes Wildstar appealing to me has more with it being one of the few new mmos with open world,no loading screens between zones,real time traveling by flying over the world not teleports, colorful world and fast combat. WoW problem is not other mmorpgs but it's own developers and the quest to simplify everything.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/13423478/warlords-of-draenor%E2%84%A2-alpha-patch-notes-4-3-2014

Maybe i missed something, but looks pretty meh and standart to me. The problem is Garrisons. Apparently, it's not actually housing like WS or Rift, but an area not recruit npcs, do quests and the like.

Also, the gameplay will remain the same, mostly. So, while i'm not that intersted in Wildstar, it still looks more appealing to me than WOW. I do hope the wow playerbase like it, atleast.