Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The One Old School RPG to rule them all!

Comments

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by maji
    I'd probably give ESO a try, if it wouldn't be for the combination of purchase + subscription + cash shop. That's a bit too much for me.

What cash shop?

You mean the vanity and utility store like WoW has? For vanity pets and mounts and name/ gender / class changes and transfers?

ESO doesnt have a "cash shop"

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Originally posted by Tedger
    [Interesting that you choose to doom and gloom over us. Do we irritate you?

Interesting that the inference of this comment is that the sharing of negative opinions is in some way indicative of a motive other than the sharing of a negative opinion.

Saying "I think it'll maybe get 150K-300K subscribers and then it'll go f2p" is no better or worse than readying a post that says "I think ESO is an amazing game and I'm enjoying it and think it will be very successful." There seems to be some suggestion that blindly positive comments like that are fine, but blindly negative comments are in some way invalid due solely to the fact that they are negative, despite the fact that both comments are equal in their severity and ignorance

No hating on a game is worse because most often they haven't played said game. They just pigeonhole the type of game and then bash it based on that. Oh it's a themepark on rails so it sucks. The people that LIKE the game are actually playing it - and that's why they like it.

The art of gaming making is a bit of a ruse. You make it seem like the player is not on rails - when they are. You give the impression of freedom of choice - when there isn't any or its not meaningful. Its all a kind of slight of hand. You want to make your NPC characters that people care about when logically they should not.

So if you don't play the game - you don't know how well the developers have done these things and are just assuming stuff. I was lukewarm on ESO because I was lukewarm on the beta - but after playing it some I like it more then I thought I would.

Its trite but you really have to play these games to make an informed decision. And no it's not sunk costs. It didn't take me too long to figure out the similar sounding (on paper) FFXIV wasn't gonna work..

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

I'm pretty versed in old mmorpgs, and there has not been any released since lotro. LotrO has all of the core elements of a an Asheron calls sequel minus the pvp.

TESO is a single play cop title with a hybrid combat system that felt fun for minute.

This guy, this guy said it well. I played its beta phases, I can't see how TESO meant to be "old school", I don't get that immersion feeling like I used to get with game like Ultima, I know its not a good comparative but I just feel TESO got something that lacks hard. If it was something, TESO like Dren said, is but another theme park game, and I have to agree that the combat is mind blowingly good, however I still feel disconnected from the game, and I'm sure many or some of you felt it.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Tedger
    Originally posted by Teala
    Going to be watching your post in the future when you try to explain how ESO only has 150k to 300k subs in a few months time....and then goes free to play to try to stay alive.

So.. OP, many others as well, me included, are telling how he is feeling good about game. We are enjoying ourselves and really hope that this game will have future, dont care if its "f2p" or monthly fee.

Don't mind her. She hates all themepark MMOS.

And yes i agree. As long as game i up and running and has regular content i dont care if its F2P or P2P.

Yes, that is why I say WoW is one of the best MMORPG's ever made.   That means I hate all themeparks.    I don't hate them all, I just think they could have been made better.   If I am so wrong, why have so many failed and why have so many had to go free to play just to stay alive?  

You're perceived how you present yourself, in the things you say and how you say it.That goes for all of us.

Words of expression right? but I have to agree with Teala that WoW so far is the only best mmorpg out at the moment. I have hated WoW for 8 years, and during those 8 years, I have tried many many mmos out there, I vowed that I would never go back to WoW, but I lost faith in searching for that MMO that I can settle into and now I'm enjoying WoW more than ever.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

I'm enjoying playing this game very casually, but its not anything like the old school MMOs because ultimately its a freaking themepark game. Players cannot influence the world in any meaningful way despite the use of hyper instancing. None of the choices in the story line feel like they matter or have any meaningful impact, RvR while fun doesn't feel like it affects the PvE world enough to make people care and the emperor title is nothing more than a glorified repgrind akin to Aion's PvP levels.

ESO should have been a sandbox and its not. That's why people hate the game. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• MaliMirkoMaliMirko Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by xpiher

I'm enjoying playing this game very casually, but its not anything like the old school MMOs because ultimately its a freaking themepark game. Players cannot influence the world in any meaningful way despite the use of hyper instancing. None of the choices in the story line feel like they matter or have any meaningful impact, RvR while fun doesn't feel like it affects the PvE world enough to make people care and the emperor title is nothing more than a glorified repgrind akin to Aion's PvP levels.

ESO should have been a sandbox and its not. That's why people hate the game. 

unfortunately i have to agree, this game is pretty similar to gw2 concept, and i hate that pvp is divided from pve world. warhammer online had nice idea about pvp/pve immersion, but it was poorly executed, shame!

B)  "War. War never changes!"

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    When some people compare old school games to ESO, they might only see mechanics, but there is a vision.  That vision is what I love and talk about.   its a old school vision that has no mechanical limits on it, it is not the way you swing your sword, or how you press the x button or see a UI...  

Brad McQuaid ?

Vanguard had way better vision in my opinion, and looked amazing, the way an mmo should look and how an mmo should play , no loading screens.

TESO is the same old thing, with a few peices glued on from Skyrim.

Even though I agree with you about the loading screen, I think its impossible these days. In the age where people call EQ:Next's graphics childish dull, stupid and childish ... the developers are forced to use high resolution detailed worlds and thats a lot of gigabytes. It takes time to load all this. Hell, battlefield 4 is freaking gorgeous at ultra graphics, yet it takes about 2-3 minutes to load a map for me. I mean sure, I have an SSD to improve on that but I prefer having Gw2 on it. So yeah, point of my post is that we'll see loading screens more and more often for longer and longer periods of time. Unless hardware processing power quadriples every other year. 

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Just played like WoW to me, not Elder Scrolls.
  • DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    l have played since UO, then EQ, etc... TESO is not a game for everyone, but it sure is a game  for me. All other games right now bored me. l was still playing vanguard, until SOE decided to closed that up.  l'm taking my time playing the game and not rushing at all. l build 5 characters so far, trying to get the feel for each one a bit. l love how you can wear any piece of armor you want, the beautiful world.
  • TedgerTedger Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by tixylix

Well.. WoW is a MMO and Skyrim in single player game... what did you expect?

RvR for me felt more like DAOC than WoW.. and thats saying alot :)

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I read all the threads, I'm just surprised on how many people who love Wildstar come to ESO to post on every single positive comment just in order to always have the last comment of negativity on the game.   Three of the same people went on for pages after about twenty or more positive comments about the game.   If you love wildstar, I don't expect you to understand what I'm saying, but thread camping in a forum of a game you don't like is rather unproductive.

I wanted to say, a lot of people somehow got the impression that I'm talking about ESO being like Old School games,  rather then why old school games were made in the first place, which is what I am talking about and has to do with TESO.   It saddens me to see so many people who say they are old school but somehow cannot even tell why old school games were made, and in the spirit of why they were made.  If you grew up in those days, you should already know why they made UO, EQ, LOTRO, Ashreons Call, and why so many games after it that are based on high adventure.   You should KNOW this as an old school gamer,  why don't you know this?  

I'll tell you why, because your all too young to remember what old school games were based on and why they were even made in the first place.   Can you tell me why EQ was made?   Can you tell me why UO was made?   Call you tell me even futthur back, on why J.R.R Tolkien wrote the hobbit, or why Game of Thrones books were written?  If you do not,then you could never possibly understand old school like myself, and why I find ESO so great in my own eyes because of it.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

You keep using that term "Old School"....I do not think that means what you think it means.  I'm only 38, so my definition of old school games, on a PC format, is going back to my childhood and playing the old SSI games.  That was Old School pc gaming.  Neverwinter Nights was Old School online PC gaming (AOL anyone?) Heh, ESO plays nothing like those games :).

I wanted to be hyped for ESO, I wanted to be the giddy Bethesda fanboy and proclaim to all the interwebs that this game, was indeed, the game to end the tyrannical rule of WoW.  I wanted to be happy for the prospects that another big AAA studio, with it's own money, not beholden to outside influence, could finally come up with something that wasn't just a copy of the 800lb gorilla that we've all developed a love/hate relation with.  I wanted that.  I wanted that same feeling from this game that I got the first time I looked at the map in Daggerfall, and thought, "My god, look at all this land to explore, how in the hell did they do this?"  I wanted that feeling of awe and wonderment from the first time my DM described the all powerful +2 longsword, of elvish make, it's pommel adorned with magnificently cut emerald, cross-guard inscribed with runes in the dragons tongue.  I wanted that feeling from my early days of gaming, both PnP, and PC, hell even console, what I got was ESO.  

ESO plays nothing like the old school games I know.  It's a PC game, that'll port to consoles, and you can tell by the way that it controls it would be better played with a gamepad than keyboard and mouse, and yet, no in-game gamepad support (again despite the fact that it'll be going to consoles...wth?).  The character animations feel odd, camera positioning feels off for a MMO (while it does feel like Skyrim in that regard, or even Fallout 3, for a MMO, just feels...off).  In general, it's not what I wanted it to be.  And that's okay, it doesn't have to be, but it's not inspiring those "Old School, High Adventure" feelings in this semi old school gamer, that I wanted.

Well, as my grandfather used to say, sh!t in one hand, want in the other, see which fills up first.  Font of wisdom that old guy.

Gotta say, I am glad I waited to purchase, and with the recent, interesting early access/pre-launch stories coming out, I am going to probably wait even longer to give Zenimax my money for this one.  But please, don't be making blanket statements about how this is THE game for us "Old School" gamers, cause as it stands, no, it's really not.

Edit: posting this from a work PC, don't know why the links are popping up, I will investigate.

Originally posted by Blasphim

You keep using that term "Old School"....I do not think that means what you think it means.  I'm only 38, so my definition of old school games, on a PC format, is going back to my childhood and playing the old SSI games.  That was Old School pc gaming.  Neverwinter Nights was Old School online PC gaming (AOL anyone?) Heh, ESO plays nothing like those games :).

You keep trying to compare ESO to old school games, instead of why the old school games were made in the first place.   The same reason EQ was made, was the same reason ESO was made, the same reasons that SSI games were made, were the same reasons ESO was made.   Its an old school vision based on high adventure, its why there was D&D in our history.....

I hope that puts it into contexts more for you. 

I played wow up to level 71 and quite,  If this game played like WoW I would not be playing it.

I think if you go into this game playing this game like WoW, you are going to see WoW.  If you go into this game playing it like an adventure game, you are going to see its clearly not wow by a longshot. 

As far as people saying its like SWTOR,  that's another whole different genre.   Did Conan the barbarian pull out a laser gun and start shooting his enemies,   did the hobbit pull out his light saber and start slaying things like a Jedi?    Seriously wayyyyy two different types of genre.    SWTOR can be put in STO genre,  by all means not put into a High Aventure genre.  

The waters are so muddy around here people don't even know the genre they are playing when they play it anymore.   Its like WoW having Evil Paladins....  Really?  Seriously?  Evil paladins.  yeah ok.   Well you get the picture. and if you don't, then there is nothing I can do to help you understand where I am coming from.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I played wow up to level 71 and quite,  If this game played like WoW I would not be playing it.

I think if you go into this game playing this game like WoW, you are going to see WoW.  If you go into this game playing it like an adventure game, you are going to see its clearly not wow by a longshot. 

As far as people saying its like SWTOR,  that's another whole different genre.   Did Conan the barbarian pull out a laser gun and start shooting his enemies,   did the hobbit pull out his light saber and start slaying things like a Jedi?    Seriously wayyyyy two different types of genre.    SWTOR can be put in STO genre,  by all means not put into a High Aventure genre.  

The waters are so muddy around here people don't even know the genre they are playing when they play it anymore.   Its like WoW having Evil Paladins....  Really?  Seriously?  Evil paladins.  yeah ok.   Well you get the picture. and if you don't, then there is nothing I can do to help you understand where I am coming from.

I played WoW to level cap in Cataclysm... I couldn't log in a 2nd time into ESO after a first login of 2 hours... stop trying because you laugh at the term Anti-Paladin (that is the term not evil paladin) when that goes back to...hmm... D&D and whatever your angle may be in this entire story you are doing it a disservice by spouting barely coherent "facts".

Also MMORPG= sub-genre within the MMO genre, setting can at best infer sub-sub-genre status but generally speaking in gaming it doesn't matter if you shoot a rock, fireball or laser at mobs, what does is how you do it (turn-based, real time, direct, indirect, in first person, third person etc).

• EnhesaEnhesa Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by sethman75

Well said OP.

Kids these days don't appreciate what made the core of those experiences, fun and adventure.

Both of which you can't get if you rush to cap in 1 day and say the game sucks.

I will be playing TESO carefully and enjoying it for months, the way it is meant to be played.

Absolutely

I think the main issue is that the majority of people reviewing ESO on forums and in blog posts right now are self proclaimed hardcore MMO players, these people have been ripping the ass out of whatever MMO for the last whatever years.

From this we see burnout. The same thing happened with ex WoW players cursing the game after playing for 6 years or however long. It wasn't the games fault people overplayed and got burned out. When people get bored the games magically get shit.

As a gamer of nearly 30 years, and as one who loves MMO's but hasn't burned myself out in recent times I reckon I'm in a good position to give an unbiased opinion on ESO.

It's a really good game.

Originally posted by Enhesa

Well said OP.

Kids these days don't appreciate what made the core of those experiences, fun and adventure.

I will be playing TESO carefully and enjoying it for months, the way it is meant to be played.

Absolutely

I think the main issue is that the majority of people reviewing ESO on forums and in blog posts right now are self proclaimed hardcore MMO players, these people have been ripping the ass out of whatever MMO for the last whatever years.

From this we see burnout. The same thing happened with ex WoW players cursing the game after playing for 6 years or however long. It wasn't the games fault people overplayed and got burned out. When people get bored the games magically get shit.

As a gamer of nearly 30 years, and as one who loves MMO's but hasn't burned myself out in recent times I reckon I'm in a good position to give an unbiased opinion on ESO.

It's a really good game.

Not really... it means you either play allot of games casually which could entitle you to say you are less biased than the hardcore crowd or you could play casually only a few games which makes you as biased as those who claim this game is utter and complete shit because it isn't as good as another game (why? lack of experience, I've played over 40 MMOs of all types from MMORPGs to MMORTS and everything in between from browser, partial-browser to client-based games and ESO does one thing good, deepens crafting, and quite a few things really badly with RvR possibly being a positive but not really my type, if I PVP I go balls to the wall not large instance group love).

Originally posted by Dihoru

Well said OP.

Absolutely

It's a really good game.

Not really... it means you either play allot of games casually which could entitle you to say you are less biased than the hardcore crowd or you could play casually only a few games which makes you as biased as those who claim this game is utter and complete shit because it isn't as good as another game (why? lack of experience, I've played over 40 MMOs of all types from MMORPGs to MMORTS and everything in between from browser, partial-browser to client-based games and ESO does one thing good, deepens crafting, and quite a few things really badly with RvR possibly being a positive but not really my type, if I PVP I go balls to the wall not large instance group love).

Funny you presume to know my gaming history and instantly try to turn it into a dick swinging contest, but then your attitude is an accurate reflection of the community in general.

Go you

"...it was a time of high adventure!", I can still hear Mako's voice echoing those words in my head.  

WoW's "evil paladins" as you dismissively refer to em, are obviously inspired by the Death Knights from AD&D (huh wonder what name Blizz gave em....), so the idea isn't new.  In fact, it's a pretty time honored idea in the fantasy mythos, knights of old raised from the dead to serve evil (ring wraiths anyone?).  Corrupted knights, once paragons of their order, now serving the dark (do I really have to say it?).

However, I think what you really want to say is High Fantasy.  I say this, because using using your examples of star wars, Conan, and Lotr, one could easily switch out Conan's bastard sword for a light saber, Legolas' bow for a sniper rifle, and Yodas use of the force for magic, and it would still be the same story.  The setting is irrelevant in those tales, the story is key.  Hold your flamethrowers for second.  I am by no means saying that those settings, those worlds created by their respective masters are not important, awesome, praise worthy, etc.  What I am saying is, you could take the Saga of Darth Vader, put it into the fantasy setting, and you would still get one helluva tale.  The same could be said for the Hobbit right through Return of The King, in the Star Wars setting.  We don't like to see it that way, cause our minds like to superglue the story and setting together.  But if you try and think a bit objectively, you would see that I am right.

Edit: Couple typo's I spotted, and for some reason I can't figure out the link bit's happening in the posts, further investigation required.

Well said OP.

Absolutely

It's a really good game.

Funny you presume to know my gaming history and instantly try to turn it into a dick swinging contest, but then your attitude is an accurate reflection of the community in general.

Go you

I did not presume anything, merely stated the two possible situations in which you may find yourself at the current time and how it would reflect on your capacity to give a unbiased opinion. The fact you felt attacked enough to attack back by that especially when one of those situations vindicates your assertion does not reflect well on your capacity to give an unbiased opinion on a genre which is based on social interaction ( I only stated my own experience as a way for you to see where I am coming from and how I arrived at my opinion on the game, if my intention was to "dick swing" I would've challenged you to supply comparable numbers which I did not nor will ever require ).

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

You know what made Everquest great? The people you played it with. My sense of nostalgia doesn't hinge on the countless mind numbing hours collecting orc belts, or copious amounts of time wasted during hell levels in Kukark zones grinding mobs. 

As I've gotten older I've realized its the player base that ruins games for me. I'm sure there is some kind of complicated societal or psychological study out there that explains the trend of negative behavior and blatantly immature antics that are so common place. (see Puer Aeturnum)

To the OP, look me up in game, Id rather hang around people that are geniunely having fun than get stuck with a bunch of sadistic people who are so angry they had to take time out of their day to bash you for nothing more than enjoying something.

I say keep on keepin on.

Originally posted by Callidor

You know what made Everquest great? The people you played it with. My sense of nostalgia doesn't hinge on the countless mind numbing hours collecting orc belts, or copious amounts of time wasted during hell levels in Kukark zones grinding mobs. 

As I've gotten older I've realized its the player base that ruins games for me. I'm sure there is some kind of complicated societal or psychological study out there that explains the trend of negative behavior and blatantly immature antics that are so common place. (see Puer Aeturnum)

To the OP, look me up in game, Id rather hang around people that are geniunely having fun than get stuck with a bunch of sadistic people who are so angry they had to take time out of their day to bash you for nothing more than enjoying something.

I say keep on keepin on.

Just gotta say... if you bring in sadism you also have to bring in masochism... the dangers of falling into either are evident.

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    I think a prerequisite of playing eq back in the day was to have some masochistic tendencies. 

Originally posted by Callidor
    I think a prerequisite of playing eq back in the day was to have some masochistic tendencies. 

lol I think that was a prereq. for any MMO back in the day image

Well said OP.

Absolutely

It's a really good game.

Go you

I did not presume anything, merely stated the two possible situations in which you may find yourself at the current time and how it would reflect on your capacity to give a unbiased opinion. The fact you felt attacked enough to attack back by that especially when one of those situations vindicates your assertion does not reflect well on your capacity to give an unbiased opinion on a genre which is based on social interaction ( I only stated my own experience as a way for you to see where I am coming from and how I arrived at my opinion on the game, if my intention was to "dick swing" I would've challenged you to supply comparable numbers which I did not nor will ever require ).

Quotes are fun, it means you can reread what you wrote. You attacked the validity of my opinion.

Let's not talk about attacking, you started acting like a know-it-all and I called you on it. Don't give it if you can't take it, but for the love of god don't turn it into a he said she said drama. And don't downplay your first passive aggressive patronisation then follow up with another. It's about as subtle as a hardon. No one gives a shit about who between the two of us is more expert in games except you.

Anyway, your logic seems to state that either one can be casual or a burnout, and therefore no one can ever be qualified to accurately review a game.

Bizarre