Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Being Charged 14.99 Up front Beforre 30 Days???

TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

In my 17 years of playing mmos I honestly never recalled a mmo that ad 30 days game time charging your credit card for the following month before the 30 days are up...never. 

Yeah there may be a 1.00 auth charge and I though perhaps the 14.99 was the same thing and will fall off.  I called American Express and t hey said no this is an actual merchant charge not a pre auth and will not fall off. 

Very deceiving on their part Zenimax.  Having American Express remove that charge as well. I don't mind if they specified you have to pay your sub up front then get 30 days free but that has never been like this for any other mmo I have ever played.

Comments

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    They charge you after the first 30 days ... 

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    lol ite a way to keep players for 2 months ;)
  • TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

Nope I am looking at my American Express account now online it shows the purchase

APR 03 2014

Store Purchase 855.296.3170ELDRSCROLS

PURCHASE

<p negative="" "="">- $14.99

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Wtf... They actually did that!?!? Omg. I thought it was only for the coming month. Not that they would actually charge. This is insane. I also see they charged it. JFC!!!!!!
    I mean it is not a huge deal just seems deceptive.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Talrune

I think out of anything I've seen around here this is one of the bigger deals haha, huge mistake on their part or as you put it, very deceptive.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169
    This game is such an obvious cash-grab...  Totally not surprised by this.
    Originally posted by Talrune

Not a huge deal? This is beyond bad. How can they even do something like this before the first 30 days are over. They better pay back or they will have a shitstorm on their hands.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

This is what they said in their forum:

All, you do not have to pay anything until after your 30 days is up. We ask that you enter a credit card, but it is only authorized. No charge is made. If you do see that a charge has been erroneously made before your included 30 days of gametime are up and have confirmed with your bank that this is the case, please let us know and we'll happily correct the error.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67441/dirtiest-move-ever-by-zenimax-online#latest

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

You can decide not to sub before the 30 days are up so they cannot take that money now. How can they charge now ? No MMO I have played has ever done that.

Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane

You can decide not to sub before the 30 days are up so they cannot take that money now. How can they charge now ? No MMO I have played has ever done that.

^This.

I mean it is for me for some folks they may not think twice about 15 bucks but im disabled and on a fixed income and I plan out my purchases in advance so I figured I would see a 1.00 charge no big deal

So now I have to remove 15 bucks from my budget yes to some not a big deal but for me that's money towards a bill I had planned for.

once I entered Key it had me choose a plan I saw nothing on the page that said skip for now etc

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by Thornrage
    They charge you after the first 30 days ... 

They charge you right away, BUT.... they say that this is just a pre authorization, and will be returned to you within a couple of hours.  However there seem to be some you get the money returned, and others who aren't so lucky (at least so far).  Additionally there are complaints (especially aussies) of being charged in the wrong (less favorable) currency.  

I have no problem with 15 bucks. I have a problem with a company taking money from my card, and holding them until my 30 days are up. It's just bad business. It's stupid and only brings more hate towards them. It makes them look greedy and stupid. Way to go Zenimax. Morons.
  • spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

I'm thinking they don't bill people themselves but have a service that does. Either way looks like a mistake. They do happen. Anyone remember Warhammer online's problems with mutlibilling credit cards?

This is just  a mistake why are people assuming it's not? Ahh  right better drama and all that "ESO IZ EVEL CAUSE THEY BILLED ME WRONG!"

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Never before have I ever seen this happen in a mmo.
    Originally posted by spacebot

I'm thinking they don't bill people themselves but have a service that does. Either way looks like a mistake. They do happen. Anyone remember Warhammer online's problems with mutlibilling credit cards?

This is just  a mistake why are people assuming it's not? Ahh  right better drama and all that "ESO IZ EVEL CAUSE THEY BILLED ME WRONG!"

They are "EVIL" until they prove me otherwise... 

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

How many mistakes are they gonna make.

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390
    So hold on, they have charged you before the actual billing month is meant to happen, so your actually paying a month in advance.. so if you ever unsub you will already be billed for the following month. 
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

Heres another good mistake they made. My internet went down for a min so i restarted my computer. I was finally down to 3gbs. Now that i restarted, my internet and the patch, I have 13gbs. Not to mention im downloading at 76kbs a seccond. Not that i can do much more then that but jesus.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I've never had an mmo do that before. The craziest thing I've heard is SquareEnix used to have some weird rules about the account, but I'm sure they dropped those quite a while ago.

I hope this is just a glitch in their billing system and not intended behavior. Either way, not cool. Well most mmo players won't find that to be very cool I think.

"We ask that you enter a credit card, but it is only authorized. No charge is made. If you do see that a charge has been erroneously made before your included 30 days of gametime are up and have confirmed with your bank that this is the case, please let us know and we'll happily correct the error."

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I've never had an mmo do that before. The craziest thing I've heard is SquareEnix used to have some weird rules about the account, but I'm sure they dropped those quite a while ago.

I hope this is just a glitch in their billing system and not intended behavior. Either way, not cool. Well most mmo players won't find that to be very cool I think.

"We ask that you enter a credit card, but it is only authorized. No charge is made. If you do see that a charge has been erroneously made before your included 30 days of gametime are up and have confirmed with your bank that this is the case, please let us know and we'll happily correct the error."

Yeah that mystery department, they keep spamming my email with. Saying they are investigating, I wounder how many weeks that will take them. Good luck with the customer service on the phone, all they are gonna tell you is, we have to send it to another department, we will get back to you some time.

And I don't want to start  a charge back and risk my account being blocked so I am still waiting on a callback as I type this from Zenimax.

Seems small as I said to some but if you have ever worked for a large  company and this happens it is a big no no.

I am sure it will all work out my main reason for posting this was for others to be aware.

Heres another good mistake they made. My internet went down for a min so i restarted my computer. I was finally down to 3gbs. Now that i restarted, my internet and the patch, I have 13gbs. Not to mention im downloading at 76kbs a seccond. Not that i can do much more then that but jesus.

Well I hit cancel and repair, and it seems to have found that missing 10gbs lol. Or not i have no idea what its doing now. Lol now it went up to 14gbs.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

wait, you payed for the game and they charged you for the 30 days after the included 30 days huh ?

This discussion has been closed.