Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Mordheim: Warhammer Meets XCOM, Sort Of

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

From its dark fantasy setting to its heritage as a tabletop miniatures wargame, the Warhammer franchise has always been a bit hardcore.  Rogue Factor and Focus Interactive’s newly announced third-person tactical strategy RPG, Mordheim: City of the Damned, certainly looks like it will fit that mold.  With a gritty art palette, permadeath options, and player looting, Mordheim will aim to appeal to Warhammer fans and hardcore strategy gamers alike.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Mordheim: Warhammer Meets XCOM, Sort Of.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Wish I could tell if this is about an MMO or a RPG without having to read 1/2 of it to find out.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Or the first paragraph? :)

From its dark fantasy setting to its heritage as a tabletop miniatures wargame, the Warhammer franchise has always been a bit hardcore.  Rogue Factor and Focus Interactive’s newly announced third-person tactical strategy RPGMordheim: City of the Damned, certainly looks like it will fit that mold.  With a gritty art palette, permadeath options, and player looting, Mordheim will aim to appeal to Warhammer fans and hardcore strategy gamers alike.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

POINT, Murphy.

T

• sominatorsominator Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 53
    ^^
  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Player looting, huh? Similar to D2 loot duels where your warband is something static that you gear up, but can lose it all to your opponent in a match?

It sounds interesting, at least. Will look forward to gameplay videos/previews of it.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Color me curious and impressed.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Wow always said this could make an amazing computer video-game.

Focus Home Entertainment:

MORDHEIM: CITY OF THE DAMNED UNVEILED WITH SCREENSHOTS

Focus Home Interactive and Rogue Factor today proudly unveil the first video game adaptation of Games Workshop's cult classic Mordheim. Set in theWarhammer world's decimated Empire city, Mordheim: City of the Damned is a turn-based tactical game where you lead warbands into bloody and lethal skirmishes. The game blends RPG elements, fast-paced tactical combat and intricate unit customization in a time wrought by chaos and rivalry where only the strongest survive. 

After the Comet of Sigmar crashed on Mordheim, the City of Damned turned into a terrifying battlefield where rival warbands fight fiercely for the control of key neighborhoods, looking for glory and fortune by acquiring the very valuable Wyrdstone fragments. 

Pick your warbands from iconic Mordheim factions - Sisters of Sigmar, Possessed, Skaven, Mercenaries from the Empire, and many more - and lead your troops to battle. Recruit new units, equip them with enhanced gear. Evolve and customize your warband with the experience gained from each successful mission, transforming them into a terrifying force on the battlefield. 

Devise the best strategy to annihilate your rivals. If you fail, some of your units might lose a limb... or worse. Keep in mind that in Mordheim: City of the Damned, a dead unit is lost forever! Consider the environment when formulating your battle strategy, exploiting the unique buildings, ruins or the layout of the streets. Deploy your troops carefully and anticipate the actions of your adversaries to set up ambushes! Organize ingenious battle plans where the talents of your units will be as important as your own luck during key moments of combat. 

Loot items and weapons hidden in the ruins, or steal those of fallen opponents. Survive the dangers that abound in the City of the Damned and collect as many Wyrdstones as you can, but remain ever vigilant. Mordheim is one of the most treacherous places in the Warhammer world! 

In these epic battles where fame and glory await, your strategy will definitely be your best ally! Visit the four corners of the City of the Damned to complete multiple missions in the solo campaign, or challenge other players in enthralling multiplayer modes. 

Riches and infamy await you late 2014 in Mordheim: City of the Damned! 

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    thanks for sharing, looking forward too the games release.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Sweet Nurgle this is a thing? Really? And it sounds as though they are doing it the right way too?!?!

I hope so, as it is one I would certainly add to my turn-based strategy collection. I've only played the table top version since the day it came out.

Now if they just make Necromunda as well, I'll be set!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Hope they do Necromunda next!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Sounds epic <3
  • Snippet60Snippet60 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Turn based?  XCOM?  Warhammer?  Take. My. Money.
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    forgot please :) ...ditto btw