Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Check out Repopulation a very SWG like game SandBox.

ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363
Check out Repopulation a very SWG like game SandBox.

Ajax

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    That has yet to be complete enough to be in Beta... is there even an Alpha yet? so much about the repopulation is 'iffy' and its also based on the dreaded 'Hero Engine' and we all saw how well that did. Sometimes i wonder if the repopulation isnt some kind of vapourware scamimage
  • Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

I've said before, The Repopulation looks great in theory, but it's just too big of a job for armchair developers to build in their spare time. An MMO is not the kind of service one can run in their spare time. The 50k or so they raised in their Kickstarter is peanuts compared to the actual costs of launching and running an MMO (let alone marketing it).

All I can say is good luck.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I am playing the game that shall not be named, and guess what?

It is a lot more like SWG.

Even better, stuff actually works now.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Burntvet

I am playing the game that shall not be named, and guess what?

It is a lot more like SWG.

Even better, stuff actually works now.

Sandboxes require a time investment that I can't afford right now, so I haven't been able to get elbows deep in the game that shall not be named just yet, but what I did experience was awesome. No rose tinted glasses required. It's not all there (yet) but it sure is hella playable.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The Repopulation certainly has many features that are similar to the old SWG, but it has one MAJOR difference: FFA PVP.

It will be a totally different play experience and a totally different community. Whether that turns out to be a good thing or a bad thing will only become evident once the open beta starts...

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

This is a fully operational game studio. From what I have read and personally seen at some of the game conference they are at , they don't make this game in their spare time. Sign up for their newsletter. They have really made a ton of improvements. Yes its an invite beta at this stage, yes they started slow, but now they have expanded. You can always back this project. For me it is worth it. If you liked the sandbox elements of SWG then you'll love this game- its not just like SWG though, there are elements. Plug- done hehe

https://www.therepopulation.com/

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The Repopulation certainly has many features that are similar to the old SWG, but it has one MAJOR difference: FFA PVP.

It will be a totally different play experience and a totally different community. Whether that turns out to be a good thing or a bad thing will only become evident once the open beta starts...

The forced FFA PvP killed any interest I had in this game. If a PvE or PvP optional server was offered, I may reconsider.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I have overly optimistic hopes for this game, I have to admit. For me it's all going to come down to how the hardcore server is handled.
  • PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Kazara

The forced FFA PvP killed any interest I had in this game. If a PvE or PvP optional server was offered, I may reconsider.

What I'd like to see is the OPTION to participate in PvP, the same way SWG had it. I thought it was a good system, if you want to PvP go talk to a faction recruiter and ask them to "turn it on". Then when you've had enough, you simply ask to "turn it off".

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

It's also not STAR WARS.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Phlacc
    Originally posted by Kazara

What I'd like to see is the OPTION to participate in PvP, the same way SWG had it. I thought it was a good system, if you want to PvP go talk to a faction recruiter and ask them to "turn it on". Then when you've had enough, you simply ask to "turn it off".

Which is what I meant by a PvP optional server. The flagging system SWG had would also work well and allow for more spontaneous,and maybe even risky, PvP.  I am more of a PvE player, but I did occasionally enjoy participating in the huge PvP base battles in player cities back in the day. I believe a PvP optional server would bring in far more interested players than the FFA PvP server.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    the chosen one this game may be; nevertheless, grave vaporware i fear in its development. 
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Troneas
    the chosen one this game may be; nevertheless, grave vaporware i fear in its development. 

I've heard a couple of people claim that. Where does it come from? They're very open with their progress and very honest with their expectations. Have you seen the monthly updates? They're extensive, to say the least.

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

A lot of hate in this thread and false information. The Repopulation has made a lot of progress, if you go to their main website and look at the videos a lot of that progress was made post Kickstarter. They have some good people who are open and willing to talk about a lot of what is going on in the game and they have been listening to the community with enthusiasm, which I find a bit refreshing. All this can be seen by simply reading their website and following information that is provided all over.

This game will most definitely be released and it will succeed. It may not gain the popularity or profit many MMOs are looking for in today's market, but it will most certainly have a niche following.

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

This is for the people that have been concerned with the FFA PVP, there will be two types of servers:

"

PvP

As mentioned previously we plan to support two rule sets in The Repopulation. The normal rule set in the Repopulation encourages PvP but does not force it. Where the hardcore server will focus on a more Free For All style. We’ll focus most of the explanation in this section on the normal rule set.

All players will begin their adventure as an Inactive member of the OWON or FPR military. Being inactive means that they will not be able to attack or be attacked by other players in protected areas. They will be subject to attack, and able to attack opposing players when they enter into contested areas, however. Players can elect to join the Active Military at any time. Active Military can be attack or be attacked other Active Military members anywhere in the world. They can not attack Inactive Military in the protected areas, however. Guards will aid friendly players in both protected and unprotected areas.

A common question by players is what will be protected and what will not? Areas near your starting cities are fully protected. OWON and FPR civilizations are located quite far from one another. The middle areas between the two are largely unprotected, with the exception of Rogue Nation cities. You can find the full complement of tiers and difficulty levels in both protected and unprotected regions. If a player wished to completely avoid PvP they would be able to. That having been said, we want to encourage players to participate in the PvP aspects of the game. There is very little penalty for doing so, and it can be a rewarding experience.

Nations can build cities and cities can be sieged and conquered. It is an open world experience with objectives created through engagements. Players will be automatically rewarded for their participation. You gain military rank through your participation, which can open up new rewards and abilities."

Just read a bit and enlighten yourself, you don't have to be into PvP to enjoy any aspect of the game.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by Holophonist

I've heard a couple of people claim that. Where does it come from? They're very open with their progress and very honest with their expectations. Have you seen the monthly updates? They're extensive, to say the least.

because we've heard it all before?

i'll be honest with you i don't follow this game's progress (in fact i hardly follow any mmorpg's progress any more), but i may have heard about this mmorpg three years ago? and its still in alpha? 

and as far as the successor of SWG Pre-Cu and all the sandboxy awesomeness is concerned, first there was Earthrise, then Darkfall, then the promise fell onto Fallen Earth; I believe Archage was next.

where are all these games now? Last I heard Earthrise was still figuring out how to put trees in their landscape, Darkfall and Fallen Earth might both have 30 active players combined and I have no clue in what stage Archage is in. 

then there were other "sandbox" games in between that promised the SWG experience only to fall short on that promise - i just cant remember their names now because now i play angry birds. 

i hope this title can succeed i really do, but after almost 9 years of the demise of swg no developer has manged to replicate that experience. they don't even know how to get close to it. 

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I've been watching this game closely and am looking forward to it but I very worried about how they are going to pull it off financially. 50k from Kickstarter is nowhere near enough to finish making this game (since it's only been in alpha), and to run servers... I am hoping they pull it off because it's the only sandbox MMORPG I am actually excited for.

Smile

• tongatatongata Member Posts: 1
    This games got many backers and It is going to do well.I am a SWG vet played from day 1 and left it after the NGE hit  been waiting for a game like this for a long time.what  I like the most is I had asked the devs if they basically learned what and what not to do with the MMO  by what had happened to SWG.When I played SWG there where many older people playing then it was basically in a nut shell dumbed down like WoW because allot of people and kiddies whined about it being to involved and to hard. which to me I think if a games to easy it gets boring real quick! Im tired of the WoW style MMO,s.They said The Repopulation  was geared more toward the older MMO players and if people like it they plan on changing nothing.They want to give what the people want and not what they feel ( like SOE and L.A.) the game should be like.I am looking forward to playing this MMO
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

i'll be honest with you i don't follow this game's progress (in fact i hardly follow any mmorpg's progress any more), but i may have heard about this mmorpg three years ago? and its still in alpha? 

and as far as the successor of SWG Pre-Cu and all the sandboxy awesomeness is concerned, first there was Earthrise, then Darkfall, then the promise fell onto Fallen Earth; I believe Archage was next.

where are all these games now? Last I heard Earthrise was still figuring out how to put trees in their landscape, Darkfall and Fallen Earth might both have 30 active players combined and I have no clue in what stage Archage is in. 

then there were other "sandbox" games in between that promised the SWG experience only to fall short on that promise - i just cant remember their names now because now i play angry birds. 

i hope this title can succeed i really do, but after almost 9 years of the demise of swg no developer has manged to replicate that experience. they don't even know how to get close to it. 

I think the experience lives no where else but in our memories at this point.. So unless any of you guys have a time machine, then there is no hope sadly. I do sometimes get this idea that if they rebuilt SWG with new PS2 engine, and set it in the timeline of the upcoming SW movies it would be the best thing ever, but most likely I would be wrong.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Tiller

I think the experience lives no where else but in our memories at this point.. So unless any of you guys have a time machine, then there is no hope sadly. I do sometimes get this idea that if they rebuilt SWG with new PS2 engine, and set it in the timeline of the upcoming SW movies it would be the best thing ever, but most likely I would be wrong.

That is not entirely correct. Search a little google and you might find something... flightless birds and such.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Tiller

That is not entirely correct. Search a little google and you might find something... flightless birds and such.

I've known about this going back to the beginning when nothing worked and as recent as this last year and it's too buggy (rubberbanding, latency and other issues SWG has always had x10) and the community isn't the same I remember being a part of years ago. Visually it's the same, but that's about it.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter