Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you pay for Elder Scrolls Online Early Access?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

So, I've beta tested Elder Scrolls Online in the last 3-4 betas. I really love the game. It's actually one of the first games I've played in quite some time where I'm digging it this much. However, as with anything there are always "issues" that arise.

I paid 59.99 for the digital standard edition (79.99 for the imperial edition) Which got us 5 days early access, as well as a few other perks like creating a character in any alliance in any race (except imperial.. unless you bought the imperial edition..) You also got a 1g horse with the imperial edition (17.5k normal price).

To our surprise, they've managed to take the servers down for almost 2 entire days, and now they are taking them offline again to prepare for "launch" when some folks who purchased 3 day early access, really are getting no days early.

I'm a tad frustrated, but I do realize things like this happen.  Since I can't play the game right now, me and my gf have been making videos...

Here's to a smooth launch!

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

You didn't pay for early access, you pre-purchased a game that releases on 4/4/14. No one paid a dime for early access, it was a bonus and clearly stated in the terms as such. By having the server up at all during the past 3 or 5 days they have fulfilled their agreement completely.

No one on this planet or any other planet paid for early access, it's plainly a perk for pre-ordering the game.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Great videos.  Good stuff

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

Welp the asshats that bought early access on Ebay paid for that!! 

Meanwhile missing out on early access should not really bother you as you we have access to the game once servers are up. As for the dummies who only bought early access via Ebay...serves you right!!!

• gravegiver17gravegiver17 Member Posts: 7
    Yea, I have no Idea where you got the 2 days of maintenance because I also have been playing the game from the beginning because I pre-loaded like they emailed an said many times to do so before your access.  I've only seen 2 major down times most of which where in low pop hours like at night into early am an one small window for a couple of bugs. All in all for a release mmo this is amongst the smoothest so far and I've been in Wow's launch both guild wars warhammer, Aion you name it I've tried it an while server maintenance an bugs are adherent to official release this has pretty stress free in relative terms to how bad launches can really go even outside of the MMO genre.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Yet another thread of misinformation.

No one paid anything for early access (cept Ebay...why in the hell? I dunno). The servers have been down less than 24 hours total. And most of that was when people were (should have been) asleep.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh

Two days? Where are you getting that from? They took the server down for about 15 hours yesterday/night before to fix a major, major issue. They're taking the servers down for 3-4 hours today to do a final pre-launch patch. How does that equal 48 hours total? It doesn't even add up to 24 hours.

I have the 3 day early access. Frankly, I'm fine with them taking the servers down to fix things that need fixed rather than let it go and let it go and ignore it and let it go....

You know, I paid for early access for FFXI ARR too, and I got to play ZERO of that. NONE. Because of server lines and downtime issues. That game is still apparently doing well (though I never did sub as I found it too linear and repetitive). A few hours of downtime, or even a full day, is not going to make or break a game at launch. MMO launches always. ALWAYS. have down time. ALWAYS. I've been around for many, and every. single. time. the servers are down for at least a few hours, and usually down for a lot more than that.

Just go do something else for a while. And if you don't like how early access goes, just don't pre-order next time.

I got 3 day early access cause I bought retail and I can tell you that they in reality took 2 days away from us. People need to go to school/uni/work and can't really play in the day. Yesterday they took down the servers during prime time so limited play time there. But today is just outrageous. I can't play today at all because they took the servers down for 4-5 hours during prime time - 7pm - midnight european time.

Why the hell do they take down the servers during prime time?? I really wanted to play today because I won't be playing tomorrow, it's Friday after all. And even if I stayed in to play the game, I am sure the servers will get hammered and will be down/laggy because it's launch. 

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

No one paid anything for early access (cept Ebay...why in the hell? I dunno). The servers have been down less than 24 hours total. And most of that was when people were (should have been) asleep.

This is so typical! Trust me all those downtimes were during EUROPEAN PRIME TIME! Zenimax have treated us like shit all along. Overpriced digital purchases, downtime during prime time and the actual launch is delayed for Europeans as it is aligned with the US launch. 

Blizzard never treated us like this.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Keep in mind that the although the game is officially "launching" on 4/4/14, the actual time it goes live is today at around 7pm, EST.  Which means, unless something gets delayed, the game will launch here in 3 or 4 hours.

source: http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk/news/post/2014/03/25/early-access-and-launch-faq

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

Keep in mind that the although the game is officially "launching" on 4/4/14, the actual time it goes live is today at around 7pm, EST.  Which means, unless something gets delayed, the game will launch here in 3 or 4 hours.

source: http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk/news/post/2014/03/25/early-access-and-launch-faq

So they decided to align the US launch with the EU launch. In Europe it will launch exactly at midnight on the 4 April.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth

So they decided to align the US launch with the EU launch. In Europe it will launch exactly at midnight on the 4 April.

Basically, it's a worldwide launch that starts at the same time for everyone.  Again, it's quite possible that the launch will get delayed or something, just like yesterday's downtime wasn't expected.  But other than something like that happening, the game is going to up and running probably a day before most people realized.

You make me like charity

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Hahahahaha Nice videos :)

Basically, it's a worldwide launch that starts at the same time for everyone.  Again, it's quite possible that the launch will get delayed or something, just like yesterday's downtime wasn't expected.  But other than something like that happening, the game is going to up and running probably a day before most people realized.

For people in Europe who actually have commitments durng the day like work/school/uni, this is actually worse. Why? Because if the game launched at the said time people would be able to play now during prime time. And then play tomorrow at prime time again. Now you can't play teh game today unless you are willing to stay up till 2-5 am in the morning lol.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Nope, I learned YEARS ago that launches were rough, and all pre-purchasing gets you is some extra pixels.

Einstein asserted that "To do the same thing and expect a different result is insane.".

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Two days? Where are you getting that from? They took the server down for about 15 hours yesterday/night before to fix a major, major issue. They're taking the servers down for 3-4 hours today to do a final pre-launch patch. How does that equal 48 hours total? It doesn't even add up to 24 hours.

I have the 3 day early access. Frankly, I'm fine with them taking the servers down to fix things that need fixed rather than let it go and let it go and ignore it and let it go....

You know, I paid for early access for FFXI ARR too, and I got to play ZERO of that. NONE. Because of server lines and downtime issues. That game is still apparently doing well (though I never did sub as I found it too linear and repetitive). A few hours of downtime, or even a full day, is not going to make or break a game at launch. MMO launches always. ALWAYS. have down time. ALWAYS. I've been around for many, and every. single. time. the servers are down for at least a few hours, and usually down for a lot more than that.

Just go do something else for a while. And if you don't like how early access goes, just don't pre-order next time.

I got 3 day early access cause I bought retail and I can tell you that they in reality took 2 days away from us. People need to go to school/uni/work and can't really play in the day. Yesterday they took down the servers during prime time so limited play time there. But today is just outrageous. I can't play today at all because they took the servers down for 4-5 hours during prime time - 7pm - midnight european time.

Why the hell do they take down the servers during prime time?? I really wanted to play today because I won't be playing tomorrow, it's Friday after all. And even if I stayed in to play the game, I am sure the servers will get hammered and will be down/laggy because it's launch. 

This is so typical! Trust me all those downtimes were during EUROPEAN PRIME TIME! Zenimax have treated us like shit all along. Overpriced digital purchases, downtime during prime time and the actual launch is delayed for Europeans as it is aligned with the US launch. 

It amuses me when EU players complain so much. You guys act like there havent been games that also take their servers down during US prime times. FFXIV is a perfect example. 90% of their downtime, including maintenance EVERY week, has been right at the start of US prime time. Why? Because they're a Japanese company, doing most of their work on Japan time.

But that's OK right? I mean as long as it isnt YOU that it's happening to there's no issue. Would you be on here raging about how they treat US players like dog shit if they were taking it down during US prime time instead?

Do you even consider the fact that most of these companies are not fully staffed 24/7? They typically operate on fairly regular business hours for where THEY are located, which is in the US. They're not going to have their entire staff working 24 hour shifts just for the sake of a bunch of angry euro kiddies getting to play a video game. Just like the rest of us, they do have lives and families outside of work to attend to.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Nope, I learned YEARS ago that launches were rough, and all pre-purchasing gets you is some extra pixels.

Einstein asserted that "To do the same thing and expect a different result is insane.".

It's like early adopters of new tech. Every year a new iphone comes out. Every year people camp out in front of the store waiting to get it. And every year there's something that needs to be fixed shortly after launch. And that's a $700 phone not a $60 game.

For people in Europe who actually have commitments durng the day like work/school/uni, this is actually worse. Why? Because if the game launched at the said time people would be able to play now during prime time. And then play tomorrow at prime time again. Now you can't play teh game today unless you are willing to stay up till 2-5 am in the morning lol.

Would you rather they delay the EU launch by 8 hours then?  Or are you suggesting that they actually release it a day early or something?  I guess I'm confused at the complaint here.  Just because it launches, doesn't mean you have to play right then.

This just sounds like a no-win situation for Zeni, since no matter when they choose to launch, it will inconvenience someone.

You make me like charity

Would you rather they delay the EU launch by 8 hours then?  Or are you suggesting that they actually release it a day early or something?  I guess I'm confused at the complaint here.  Just because it launches, doesn't mean you have to play right then.

This just sounds like a no-win situation for Zeni, since no matter when they choose to launch, it will inconvenience someone.

I would rather they release the game at the time they specified originally. What do I get out of it when it launches today at midnight -1am? I can't play it at 1am can I now? If they launched tomorrow at 7 am US time and 12 pm EU time that would've been better. The servers would've been down during a time when both EU and US people are asleep.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

It amuses me when EU players complain so much. You guys act like there havent been games that also take their servers down during US prime times. FFXIV is a perfect example. 90% of their downtime, including maintenance EVERY week, has been right at the start of US prime time. Why? Because they're a Japanese company, doing most of their work on Japan time.

But that's OK right? I mean as long as it isnt YOU that it's happening to there's no issue. Would you be on here raging about how they treat US players like dog shit if they were taking it down during US prime time instead?

Do you even consider the fact that most of these companies are not fully staffed 24/7? They typically operate on fairly regular business hours for where THEY are located, which is in the US. They're not going to have their entire staff working 24 hour shifts just for the sake of a bunch of angry euro kiddies getting to play a video game. Just like the rest of us, they do have lives and families outside of work to attend to.

You know what? I am pretty sure that if they took down the servers during US prime time 6pm to 12am-1am you would also been pissed off. I know you don't care cause you can play during your prime time and this doesn't affect you much.

I am even more pissed off cause I normally go to a bar on Thursdays to get hammered but cancelled to play before launch.

I would rather they release the game at the time they specified originally. What do I get out of it when it launches today at midnight -1am? I can't play it at 1am can I now? If they launched tomorrow at 7 am US time and 12 pm EU time that would've been better. The servers would've been down during a time when both EU and US people are asleep.

But why?  How would launching the game later benefit anyone other than people who insist on logging in ASAP but can't due to the current launch time?  Is that all this is about?  Is there something you could do in the first few hours that you can't do 8 hours later when you get home?

You make me like charity

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

"Blizzard never treated us like this."

HA!!

Lucky I was taking a drink of my beer when I read this....

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Ok I can see the OP's point and I agree. 

Some people have jobs or school and only have limited windows to play so technically if it keeps you from playing for 2 of the 5 days that can account for saying 2 of 5. 

I do understand some of you are rampant fanbois and believe zeni can do no wrong, and still others of you will flame and argue and disagree no matter what someone posts here.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

All people with early acces / headstart will get up to sunday before their account payment goes live.

We want you to know that everyone who was part of Early Access will be granted an extended grace period until Sunday at 8AM EDT/12PM GMT before being required to transition your account to live. This will cover those who purchased ESO from an online retailer and won't be getting your box shipped in time and also gives anyone who purchased digitally more Early Access time."
    - @?ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Tada !

<3 Zenimax

"Blizzard never treated us like this."

HA!!

Lucky I was taking a drink of my beer when I read this....

I know right.  All the credits given to me below were out of sheer generosity, and had nothing to do with the game being down for entire days at a time, for the first 3 months...

You make me like charity

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by kaiser3282

You know what? I am pretty sure that if they took down the servers during US prime time 6pm to 12am-1am you would also been pissed off. I know you don't care cause you can play during your prime time and this doesn't affect you much.

I am even more pissed off cause I normally go to a bar on Thursdays to get hammered but cancelled to play before launch.

Um... I actually dont play during US pimetime. My main play time is during work, which is on the night shift. In fact that really long downtime yesterday, started about an hour before I woke up and got on for work. Lasted my entire shift + the rest of my free time after work. Only got in about an hour of play after the server came back up before I had to sleep again. Practically an entire of not being able to play for me due to the timing & my schedule. You didn't see me on here throwing a nonstop hissy fit about it. In fact I was one of the people on here telling people to stop being such whiny babies.

Point is, downtimes suck for someone somewhere no matter when they do it. If it isn't you or me it's someone else not getting to play. It's no reason to flip out. Life will still go on. You'll get to play tomorrow.

Raging about it and getting upset to the point where you take it as an offense to you and your entire region does nothing meaningful. Just makes you angry over a simple video game. Why not get angry over something that actually matters? I mean hell, we could start with banks. Why the fuck are banks only open like 9-5 and closed for entire days? They should be available all the time, it's our money. What if I have an emergency that I need to take a large sum out for?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Yes I caved in as I usually never pre-order, but did this time with no regret. Reason is I already know my playtime is limited so all in all have spend only close to 2 hours of playing all together (3day headstart)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

nah ... i have so many other things to do that i probably won't have time for ESO ... may be if it goes F2P, i will give it 20 min and try it out.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184
    nop culdnt afford th game mebbe later wen it drops in prize perhaps :)