Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't play this game without nameplates/chat bubbles!!!!

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I thought the same at first but, let me tell you, once you've played awhile you realise you actually know the areas, the people, the merchants.. all the locations... everything you need.. off the top of your head... just like we do in real life.

No hand holding means you learn not to need your hand held. Makes everyone a better gamer. Stick with it, you'll do fine.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    I love that they do not have either. It keeps with the theme of a very clean UI. I don't need every ounce of my screen filled up with shit that is not the game world itself. It really adds to the immersion factor that I can focus on the world they created instead of looking at bars, add-ons, markers on NPCs, floating text etc.
  • Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92
    immensely trivial reason to not a play a game. Most do not want to trade immersion for saturday morning cartoon based features, it was a good choice for any game trying to retain realism and or immersion.
  • Originally posted by Xasapis

Personally, I would like to see a simple clock in a corner somewhere. Alt-tabbing all the time to see how much time I've spent is annoying.

I suppose Bethesda expects the community to fix any shortcomings with their UI, the same way the community did with all their games.

Theres clock, mini map and many helpfull add-ons for EsO.. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Ekadd
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Personally, I would like to see a simple clock in a corner somewhere. Alt-tabbing all the time to see how much time I've spent is annoying.

I suppose Bethesda expects the community to fix any shortcomings with their UI, the same way the community did with all their games.

Theres clock, mini map and many helpfull add-ons for EsO.. 

I got the minimap.. then I disabled it. It totally ruined the game.. I was just checking the minimap all the time instead of looking at the actual world. Then, when I tried to force myself to use the minimap less, I had no clue where I was.. whereas before using it I learned everything by heart. My advice? Using the minimap makes you dumb.. like literally makes you need the minimap by using the minimap. It also breaks immersion. Don't use it, you'll miss seeing half the game.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Um...there is a clock in the top left hand corner, every time you do anything involving the map or inventory. Dunno why you are alt tabbing to check the time.

I was wondering the same thing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I absolutely applaud ZeniMax Online for sticking to the roots of the Elder Scrolls series by maintaining a very clear screen, devoid of clutter from UI elements, greatly emphasizing the world itself. This is largely what makes this an authentic Elder Scrolls game. It seems you want things that can be found in other MMO's, like WoW. If you "can't play this game without nameplates/chat bubbles", I suggest you look elsewhere. I'm not sure why you would think an Elder Scrolls title would be like WoW and not like, well, an Elder Scrolls title.
  • alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Press M and in the corner there is a clock.

OP, I can agree with subtitles and bubbles as optional setting but as for nameplates being mandatory... No idea what it is but you should put it away even if it tastes well;-)

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by unclemo
    No thanks to nameplates and chat bubbles. They are immersion breaking.

I feel the same, first thing I turn off in any MMO I play.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,745

Constantly they go on about your choices when making a MMO. So having the choice to pick them would be great! I understand nametags were there in Alpha, then removed. Bringing them back wold be easy.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Scot

Constantly they go on about your choices when making a MMO. So having the choice to pick them would be great! I understand nametags were there in Alpha, then removed. Bringing them back wold be easy.

Bringing them back would be easy, making them not affect performance is not. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• mustang2750mustang2750 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I do not want chat bubbles whatsoever however nameplates ARE A MUST. It's very hard to have a.fun communicative community when you can't tell who is who, can't determine NPC from player, and can't recognize players by name or guild.

This was the highlight of DAOC's great community and needs to be implemented as an option.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Scot

Bringing them back would be easy, making them not affect performance is not. 

Sorry, but 100 MMOs before succeeded incorporating nametags without catastrophe. If that is true, that their performance is ruiend be nametags they simply screwed up. Royally.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    I thought Zeni devs said the chat bubbles and name plates kill the FPS (frames per second) in the game. The engine is optimized without those things. Don't ask me how this is an issue. 

I don't recall them ever saying that.  They've been pretty clear about lots of features not being there to keep in line with the minimalist UI to help with immersion.  Having said that, you can enable the healthbars to always show up on players and NPC (both or either), which can help with identifying things.

You make me like charity

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    I thought Zeni devs said the chat bubbles and name plates kill the FPS (frames per second) in the game. The engine is optimized without those things. Don't ask me how this is an issue. 

Funny, never had any problem because of this in Wow, Rift, ... They should give players OPTION. Not playing anyway but would be very disturbed by this. Pretty good solution with Gw2 however when nameplates apear by good AI depending of your positioning.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Just....wow...at the lamest of things people will "not play" an MMO for. From under water combat, to chat bubbles. I get wanting options. But to not be able to play an MMO because they aren't there?

/me shakes head at the current state of MMO gamers and walks off.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      I think itsngreat , cant stand nameplates and shut them off in every game i can on players NPcs and mobs... useless crutch imo
  • RosenthorneRosenthorne Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by Rusque
    No thanks. Chat bubbles can go to the hell. This is what every game with chat bubbles looks like to me.

LOL. . that was exactly my first thought too...

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Just....wow...at the lamest of things people will "not play" an MMO for. From under water combat, to chat bubbles. I get wanting options. But to not be able to play an MMO because they aren't there?

its not lame, it actually a game feature that changes the social dynamics of the whole game. If you dont have chat bubbles you will not be able to communicate with random strangers as much- in town or in battle. if you dont care about players meeting new people or making new interactions, and instead having to rely on voice-chat programs (only good if you are playing with friends or a guild) while completely ignoring the rest of the population, then having no chat bubbles is the way to go.

all my closest gaming friends i met through random interaction, not from joining a pre-made guild through a website/forum beforehand. actually the worst guilds i joined were from joining through websites/forum recruitment.  

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    I like the UI how it is - Clean, clear, and uncluttered.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Talemire
    I like the UI how it is - Clean, clear, and uncluttered.

And that's why it would be an option. You can keep chat bubbles and nameplates off while others that prefer them can put them on.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    The immersion breaking excuse used as an argument against bubbles always amuses me. As if that magical floating window that shows text from people not even near you is somehow immersive.
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245

I know right. Kids these days wanting social interaction tools in an MMO. For shame.

Originally posted by Ikonis

I know right. Kids these days wanting social interaction tools in an MMO. For shame.

Social interaction is chat, guilds, so on. Not bubbles or name plates....

Next!

Originally posted by gessekai332

its not lame,

It is lame....to not play a game because of shite reasons.

NEXT!