Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't play this game without nameplates/chat bubbles!!!!

MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

Why are there no nameplates or chat bubbles in this name? Even for the NPC's?

I know there used to be a setting in the options during beta to turn them on and off and it couldnt be used because it was shaded out but it seems to have dissapeared in the offical launch.

So why are nameplates important to me?

Without nameplates the world feels wrong. Players feel lifeless simply because communication is difficult, I struggle to see who is a npc and who is a player. When i am crafting, i find it annowing that I have to mouse over each npc to find out what/who they are to find the correct one. I know some people will disagree with this and say that a world without nameplates or chat bubbles feels real and forces more people to use chat addons like skype and ventrillo/teamspeak.

I find it even more frustrating when a NPC is talking and there isnt even an option to turn on subtitles, let alone chat bubbles. So if there is noise going on in the background, Its possible to miss what is being said.

Ive serached for addons with no luck. I even read that the game is incapable of such addons being made due to the current API being unable to track players (no idea what that means, ive never ventured into the world of addon creation).  Lets hope they impliment them soon.

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

I do understand that it should be in-game already, but have you searched the internet for addons that gives you what you need?

I tried though on esoui without any luck, but you could try and search for yourself, or use the forum to request the addon.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    About that,you're going to have to learn to adapt to the UI, these are intentional design decisions and not accidental overlooks.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Personally, I would like to see a simple clock in a corner somewhere. Alt-tabbing all the time to see how much time I've spent is annoying.

I suppose Bethesda expects the community to fix any shortcomings with their UI, the same way the community did with all their games.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    I thought Zeni devs said the chat bubbles and name plates kill the FPS (frames per second) in the game. The engine is optimized without those things. Don't ask me how this is an issue. 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

while it sounded cool, the missing feature does not really help well when building communities.

just switchable nameplates (by bound key) is okay with me, allways gives the best of two worlds

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• gonewildgonewild Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Marcelino

Why are there no nameplates or chat bubbles in this name? Even for the NPC's?

I know there used to be a setting in the options during beta to turn them on and off and it couldnt be used because it was shaded out but it seems to have dissapeared in the offical launch.

So why are nameplates important to me?

Without nameplates the world feels wrong. Players feel lifeless simply because communication is difficult, I struggle to see who is a npc and who is a player. When i am crafting, i find it annowing that I have to mouse over each npc to find out what/who they are to find the correct one. I know some people will disagree with this and say that a world without nameplates or chat bubbles feels real and forces more people to use chat addons like skype and ventrillo/teamspeak.

I find it even more frustrating when a NPC is talking and there isnt even an option to turn on subtitles, let alone chat bubbles. So if there is noise going on in the background, Its possible to miss what is being said.

Ive serached for addons with no luck. I even read that the game is incapable of such addons being made due to the current API being unable to track players (no idea what that means, ive never ventured into the world of addon creation).  Lets hope they impliment them soon.

Everything was designed this way for maximum immersion.

and i like it :)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Too bad we can't swap account name with character name in chat. That's an immersion killer there, besides the obvious security risk.

Originally posted by captainamazing57
    ^&*^*(^( nameplates and chat bubbles. This is not a kids' game.

No mmorpg is, really. Still, immature people do tend to play them ;)

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Because the game uses the Hero engine...like swotor, which is also incapable of speech bubbles as it hits the hero engine performance fairly hard. 
  • M0rbidM0rbid Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by Geriden
    Because the game uses the Hero engine...like swotor, which is also incapable of speech bubbles as it hits the hero engine performance fairly hard. 

This ^^

Ultimately, this is why chat bubbles were removed from beta in SWTORs development. Due to the performance issues that chat bubbles caused with the Hero Engine.

As ESO uses the Hero Engine also I *assume* the reasoning for omitting chat bubbles is alos performance related.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by captainamazing57
    ^&*^*(^( nameplates and chat bubbles. This is not a kids' game.

Oh the irony.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    No thanks to nameplates and chat bubbles. They are immersion breaking.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

No thanks. Chat bubbles can go to the hell.

This is what every game with chat bubbles looks like to me.

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Geriden

Has that been mentionned "officially" or it's just an assumption?

I thought they used it in early development just to make prototypes,etc. but that they ended up doing their own in the end (you know, with those 100vs100vs100 players on screen.. ) ?

Have any sources for that ? Would really like to know! :)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    I thought Zeni devs said the chat bubbles and name plates kill the FPS (frames per second) in the game. The engine is optimized without those things. Don't ask me how this is an issue. 

Anything that has to be redered by the client, even if you have the option off, still needs to get loaded by the client/your pc. With potentially 100s of players on the screen at once, this could be a very big issue regardless of the engine. 

BTW, SWTOR not only used a very early version of the hero engine, but they also used a heavily modified one. 

BTW supposedly ESO doesn't use the hero engine

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am with you OP.

The lack of nameplates and chat bubbles makes this game so unsocial. I never know who is who, I can't recall the names of people since I never SEE their names and I can't differ chat from my immediate surroundings from something that was said all over the world. It seriously saddens me that both features are missing. :(

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by cura

To make bubbles or nameplates addon one would have to have access to player position on screen data and more, which i doubt we have.

No idea why neither is in the game. Need both too, especially bubbles. 

Both used to exist in ESO, but they were eliminated. Or so someone in the REAL beta told me. (Not us unwashed mass beta, those real testers.) So it should somehow still be inside. We just have to... persuade ZoS to reactivate it.

Whining usually does it. No seriously. It does.

And if it's a matter of FPS: why not make it OPTIONAL and leave the decision to us, the players? Yeah, I know, making your own decisions... what was I thinking...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Rusque

Sorry but this is the most stupid example. How many times are you really surrounded by so many people chatting at the same time? I think 0.1% of all time you play a MMO.

And ever heard of OPTIONAL?

• hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Yeah I'm totally fine with not having chat bubbles at all.  They are annoying and besides, if you type anything longer than a sentence it just gets cut off in the bubble and you have to look at your chat box anyways.  Name plates i don't really care either way but i've been able to determine players from npc's without much of a problem, so i'm fine without them too, makes the game much cleaner to me.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by Xasapis Personally, I would like to see a simple clock in a corner somewhere. Alt-tabbing all the time to see how much time I've spent is annoying.   I suppose Bethesda expects the community to fix any shortcomings with their UI, the same way the community did with all their games.
    Holy cow, it's not like you couldn't look at the clock in the room , a phone or even a watch... It's not a shortcoming, it's a design with immersion in mind. If you want to know what time it is in the real world it should not be too much to actually visit the real world every once in a while.
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Rusque

I laughed at this picture, I loved Ragnorok Online but this was just people that had stores open not really chat bubbles that disappear eventually. I really do miss having nameplates the most though. I love to remember people I run across and I do that by seeing their names. We do need that back ( I was one of those in the "real beta" who remember them having it in. At least give us the choice for nameplates!

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

Anything that has to be redered by the client, even if you have the option off, still needs to get loaded by the client/your pc. With potentially 100s of players on the screen at once, this could be a very big issue regardless of the engine. 

BTW, SWTOR not only used a very early version of the hero engine, but they also used a heavily modified one. 

BTW supposedly ESO doesn't use the hero engine

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

Zenimax did use the Hero engine early on for test purposes. People are just mis-informed when they state ESO is using the Hero engine now.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Nameplates are un-displayable due to the changes with the API.

However...

Subtitles - http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info14-Subtitles.html

Clock - http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info70-SimpleClock.html

Toolbars, Buffs, etc.- http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info8-WykkydsFramework.html

Combat/Ability/Buff/Target info - http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info28-FoundryTacticalCombat.html

...there's mods for most things. 

If you wish, you can totally jazz up your'e UI to look like WoW or whatever game you're used to

The minimilist UI is pure Elder Scrolls, and is what gamers were shouting for in the early stages of beta, so what you see in-game is a direct case of gamers getting exactly what they want from developers.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    About that,you're going to have to learn to adapt to the UI, these are intentional design decisions and not accidental overlooks.

+1

Stop looking for a hand to hold and get out there and adventure without having every bit of knowledge available to you. It's kind of the point of these types of games.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by strangepowers

Originally posted by Xasapis Personally, I would like to see a simple clock in a corner somewhere. Alt-tabbing all the time to see how much time I've spent is annoying.   I suppose Bethesda expects the community to fix any shortcomings with their UI, the same way the community did with all their games.
    Holy cow, it's not like you couldn't look at the clock in the room , a phone or even a watch... It's not a shortcoming, it's a design with immersion in mind. If you want to know what time it is in the real world it should not be too much to actually visit the real world every once in a while.

Ha, I have a phone next to my PC, time on the cable box, clock, wife telling me how long I've been on and when I'm stopping. I have zeo problems knowing how long I've been playing, and everybody in TS mentioning the time and when they are logging.. Can't play with a watch on. Bugs me.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Personally, I would like to see a simple clock in a corner somewhere. Alt-tabbing all the time to see how much time I've spent is annoying.

I suppose Bethesda expects the community to fix any shortcomings with their UI, the same way the community did with all their games.

Um...there is a clock in the top left hand corner, every time you do anything involving the map or inventory. Dunno why you are alt tabbing to check the time.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.