Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recently Bought, Terribly Confused

OK, I've posted on the official forums, without much luck, so I thought I would try here:

I can't seem to build an effective character; the only real choices in the beginning are weapons and faction, and faction (theoretically?) does not matter, so I've been playing with different weapons.

So far, my measure of success is whether or not I can make it to the police station without dying. In general, weapons with decent AoE don't have the dps to kill stuff before it kills me, single target weapons leave me vulnerable to groups, and healing is some kind of sick joke.

In any case, actually making it to the police station is something of a victory, but past that is about impossible; I got up to 5 SP with a chaos/fist build by sneaking around and following other players, but I can't figure out why they get to kill stuff and I don't.

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    The zombies in the beginning are rather easy to deal with. Are you using your builder -> finisher combo properly? You should have only a couple of skills by that point, so just use them and don't fight too many at once.
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Not sure if serious or trolling. The mobs before the police station have 300 hp each. And your most basic attacks do like 70-100 damage, meaning you can kill any mob in 4 seconds. It takes the same mobs around 30 seconds to wear down a player.

On second thought, you must be trolling, nobody can be that incompetent.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by codejack
    OK, I've posted on the official forums, without much luck, so I thought I would try here:

I can't seem to build an effective character; the only real choices in the beginning are weapons and faction, and faction (theoretically?) does not matter, so I've been playing with different weapons.

So far, my measure of success is whether or not I can make it to the police station without dying. In general, weapons with decent AoE don't have the dps to kill stuff before it kills me, single target weapons leave me vulnerable to groups, and healing is some kind of sick joke.

In any case, actually making it to the police station is something of a victory, but past that is about impossible; I got up to 5 SP with a chaos/fist build by sneaking around and following other players, but I can't figure out why they get to kill stuff and I don't.

It really should not be that hard to make it to the police station..

In regards to combat no matter which weapon set you use it always follows the same patern, you have one builder that builds points for both weapons (ideally), and a finisher ability that does a a ton of damage. ie (11123 11123 11123)

All those zombies on the road to the police station are standard mobs that you should be able to take down with aoe. They used to have a mission where you would set a can on fire and train zombies into it to give them a dot but i believe that is removed now.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    you must be doing something terribly wrong, no idea what, but if you die before the police station, either your gear is messed up, wrong talismans for your weapons or you spreaded your skill points on other skills than the ones you are using
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Sounds very strange indeed... even if you don't put on the starter gear (you get a full set after you select your first weapon), the first few missions around the police station are very easy.

Recently with a new character I died (not by an accident, but I don't want to spoiler :) ) in the cemetary, because there's the most dense zombie population for a large pull - for 6-8 zombies it took more than half a minute to kill me, while I just stood still. edit: in QL2-3 gear, so not some awesome tank build :)

I don't say the post is trolling, but I'm with Doc above, you must be doing something totally wrong, it's hard to imagine situations where someone would die in Kingsmouth... Maybe in the bay with a wrong pull, or by wandering into the airport, but not at the start...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Maybe it would help if you explained which weapon you've chosen, and what skills you are using when you come across a group.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208

No, not trolling, and absolutely sure it is something that I am doing (other people play, right?), but no idea what.

6 zombies that rush the car when I jump on it kill me before I can kill half of them; I've tried high dps weapons, but that only kills one at a time and the others wear me down, and AoE weapons don't do enough damage. Then there are the ones that are neither dps nor AoE (fists, AR) that I can't figure out at all.

Groups of 3 or 4 I can take, as long as nothing else comes by while I'm fighting or recovering, but the first quest at the police station has me fighting a dozen at a time! I finished that one by following 2 other people around.

I'm not getting enough points to spread around; I've gotten up to all of 5 SP on a chaos/fist build by sneaking around, but the first bad pull or miniboss would kill me dead; I had no dps and no survival.

So I built a blade/blood, and while the AoE is decent, the lack of dps is a killer and the heals suck.

I've tried:

blade/fist - no dps, crap heals

blood/ele - bad aoe, mediocre dps, crap heals

AR/fist - no dps, no aoe, crap heals

fist/blood - ....nothing! this build had nothing at all!

He mentioned chaos/fist, but not that which was the main (assuming he didn't get both from the HQ, not many knows that you can do that :) ).

If fist was the main, then it's a real puzzle. It starts with a single builder and an AoE consumer, with two nice passives (one of them self-heals). Without putting on the starter gear and buying new skills, that 2+2 alone is enough to the whole town area - it starts to get weak by the time you get to the woods around the Morninglight camp, but by that time you already have a lot of AP / SP.

If chaos was the main, it's a bit more understandable, but just a tiny bit. Chaos is more than enough for the start too.

Then he mentioned gathering 5 SP. So, regardless of which was the main, simply buy additionally Nurture + Nurturing gift from fist, and Escalation + Intensity from chaos, and with those you'll be fine until Polaris. By that time you'll have enough AP to make your own build, which is good for your playstyle.

edit: lol, while I typed that in, you posted new infos :)

blade / fist is maybe the most potent combo for the start, and it's good for the whole game as well (except when you need to avoid penetration)

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Which weapon u are using doesnt relly matter in that zone, just check the follow:

1 - You dont Forget to equip the inicial gear, right?

2 - 2 skills are mandatory, 3 are better to start:

1 to build resources and other(s) to spend it. In that zone the builder is nice to be a aoe, then get a single target consumer, then a aoe target consumer.

3- If you play with 2 weapons, the builder should be aoe and provide resourses to both weapons, then get 1 consumer from each weapon (one single and one aoe).

3 - Only use the consumers when you have max resources to max dps.

There are weapons like blade and hammer (if i remember correct) that allready begin the fight with full resources, inicial is a little easier, but not mandatory.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

if you can get to it you could list:

- what did you spend your SP points on, and how many

- what did you spend your AP points on, and how many

- which weapons do you carry

- which talismans do you have equipped

- which abilities did you equip to your ability bar, the actives and the passives

I´m sure it would be easy to find out where the problem is if we know all that.

btw, you know, your clothing does not matter, clothes don´t have stats in TSW ;-)

For getting ahead of the many different build detailing posts, since I'm sure if we get on the roll, we won't be able to stop :) here's Ryahl's great starter deck for blade / fist: http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first-60-inner-wheel-survival-soloing-with-bladefist/

You can get it from an easy 60 points, and the page has even a purchase order suggestion. It's a straightforward, effective solo deck.

Originally posted by Po_gg

If fist was the main, then it's a real puzzle. It starts with a single builder and an AoE consumer, with two nice passives (one of them self-heals).

OK, nice and specific:

What is the AoE in fist? I tried Hog Wild, but it only hits 2-3 enemies.

Is there a way to make the self-heal useful? 5 hp/sec isn't worth the time it takes to hit the button. Even the active heal is only good for topping up between fights.

Originally posted by DocBrody

if you can get to it you could list:

- what did you spend your SP points on, and how many

1 fist, 1 chaos, 1 each in head, major, and minor talismans

- what did you spend your AP points on, and how many

Hog Wild, Escalate, Prey on the Weak, Call for Eris, Illusion

- which weapons do you carry

One Inch Punch and the chaos thingie from the gypsy lady.

- which talismans do you have equipped

Some green QL1 stuff, focused on balancing stats.

- which abilities did you equip to your ability bar, the actives and the passives

Pretty much all of them.

I´m sure it would be easy to find out where the problem is if we know all that.

I hope so.

For getting ahead of the many different build detailing posts, since I'm sure if we get on the roll, we won't be able to stop :) here's Ryahl's great starter deck for blade / fist: http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first-60-inner-wheel-survival-soloing-with-bladefist/

You can get it from an easy 60 points, and the page has even a purchase order suggestion. It's a straightforward, effective solo deck.

It's the "easy 60 points" that I'm having trouble with.

Is there a way to make the self-heal useful? 5 hp/sec isn't worth the time it takes to hit the button. Even the active heal is only good for topping up between fights.

Every aoe hits up to 5 mobs, HW too. Maybe it's a positioning issue? HW is cone and not PbAoE.

Nope, that's pretty much it, especially in the beginning. TSW is not one of the common "just healed 28billion burst, without crit" type of mmo ( :) ), it's closer to games with active dodging, healing is not gonna save you by itself. You can heal nicely though, with proper build and healing gear, but in the beginning it isn't necessary, Nurture, N.Gift and Lick your wounds is more than enough.

Every aoe hits up to 5 mobs, HW too. Maybe it's a positioning issue? HW is cone and not PbAoE.

Nope, that's pretty much it, especially in the beginning. TSW is not one of the common "just healed 28billion burst, without crit" type of mmo ( :) ), it's closer to games with active dodging, healing is not gonna save you by itself. You can heal nicely though, with proper build and healing gear, but in the beginning it isn't necessary, Nurture, N.Gift and Lick your wounds is more than enough.

OK, so there really aren't any AoEs or heals in this game. That would have been helpful to know up front.

Deleting again....

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by codejack What is the AoE in fist? I tried Hog Wild, but it only hits 2-3 enemies.   Is there a way to make the self-heal useful? 5 hp/sec isn't worth the time it takes to hit the button. Even the active heal is only good for topping up between fights.
    Every aoe hits up to 5 mobs, HW too. Maybe it's a positioning issue? HW is cone and not PbAoE.   Nope, that's pretty much it, especially in the beginning. TSW is not one of the common "just healed 28billion burst, without crit" type of mmo ( :) ), it's closer to games with active dodging, healing is not gonna save you by itself. You can heal nicely though, with proper build and healing gear, but in the beginning it isn't necessary, Nurture, N.Gift and Lick your wounds is more than enough.

OK, so there really aren't any AoEs or heals in this game. That would have been helpful to know up front.

Deleting again....

Yes there is.

Pitty i don't have the client installed atm, I could help you out in game.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I have to ask: are you just standing still while the mobs beat on you? No matter how good your talismans and abilities, that's a quick way to die. You should be moving constantly with melee weapons, spinning your Escalation to damage the crowd before nailing one of them with a heavy consumer attack. Don't get pinned down: mobs that are running after you are mobs that aren't smacking you. The Lick Your Wounds passive is great: it's one of the first abilities I grab for all my characters no matter what weapon they use. And I'm still using it many zones later. It may not sound like much, but you are healed constantly, with every mob you hit.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Was not going to post once I saw that you were trying to make it to the police station. But if you really do need help, melee works in the game (of course) but trying a Rifle or some ranged Magic and stick to lvl'ing that specific weapon, don't allocate your points all around the wheel right away.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Basically, all you do is...

1.  Don't stand in the red areas.

2.  Builder x 5

3.  Weapon Finisher 1

4.  Weapon Finisher 2 (once you get a second weapon)

5.  Go back to step 1

That basically sums the combat up for the rest of the game.  Easy mobs will take one or two of these cycles to kill.  Standard mobs will take 4 to 6.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Deleting again....

There's tons of AoE in the game.  Maybe not the "agro 50 guys and AoE them down with Blizzard" kind of AoE, but not really sure what you're expecting.  

You make me like charity

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by chakalaka
    Was not going to post once I saw that you were trying to make it to the police station. But if you really do need help, melee works in the game (of course) but trying a Rifle or some ranged Magic and stick to lvl'ing that specific weapon, don't allocate your points all around the wheel right away.

Yes, a ranged weapon is good for pulling attackers without getting close enough to accidently aggro too many. One great thing about melee weapons is that they build up resources when out of combat (on magic and ranged weapons, built-up resources leak away when out of combat). So with melee you can front-load your damage by hitting with a heavy damage consumer right at the beginning of the fight, then start building up for another one.

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Basically, all you do is...

1.  Don't stand in the red areas.

2.  Builder x 5

3.  Weapon Finisher 1

4.  Weapon Finisher 2 (once you get a second weapon)

5.  Go back to step 1

That basically sums the combat up for the rest of the game.  Easy mobs will take one or two of these cycles to kill.  Standard mobs will take 4 to 6.

And this is basically the same bullshit about TSW that's been spread all around the web for more than a year. Have you even played it?

Ah, btw, the areas you talked about. They're white, not red.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647
    Shotgun. Problem = solved. Game = won.
  • VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

Blade+AR frenzy taged abilities are good for me at solo PvE (missions etc). Ofc 2 abi for single target, builder  blade and finisher AR. I like Red mist for starter. Gear is 4-5k HP, rest in Attack. Secondary stats are hit (around 300 is enough for solo pve) and penetration. I don't like crit and defence stats, but if I find it on nice piece of gear - why not?

In dungeons i play role DPS, pistol&shotgun is my way. Ele force is nice passive. All gear is Attack rating, stats are hit (target - 600), penetration (target 800), rest in crits (I prefer crit power).

For pvp i like AR+blood. And HP, lots of HP.

Skill points i spent  on talismans and damage paths for weapons, then for support paths in weapons .