Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Started Playing Lotro Again

jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512

I used to play this when it first came out and I had dial up at the time.  I got to a point where I could not advance anymore due to being unable to do raids because of my connection.  I think that this game is pretty good and should get some more love.  Personally I think it beats WoW .  It has better graphics, better story, and I think the harder classes are more complex and engaging.  With a warden you have different gambits to memorize, even a CC hunter can be complex with your decoys and traps and what not.  I think the crafting is pretty well done although basic.  I also like the traits / deeds you can grind out if you choose.   I was wishing / hoping that someone makes a Star Wars game set up similarly

Comments

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Combat is too slow for may tastes but I agree with everything else you wrote. Lore, story and graphics are excellent.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    Combat is too slow for may tastes but I agree with everything else you wrote. Lore, story and graphics are excellent.

I think this is the exact reason I didn't like the game. I have tried it over and over, love the lore, the graphics, the environments, how close everything was to how Lord of the Rings was, but I couldn't figure out why I didn't like the game. I think it's the combat being too slow for me.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I admire LotRO for its quality but that doesn't mean I enjoy it.  Everything seems to move at such a plodding pace and there's never a moment of heart-stopping tension or excitement in it for me.  I play it every now and again, and it just never grabs me, which is something I regret. 

I feel the same about SWtOR.  Nice game, no excitement.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I would absolutely love to play LOTRO.  

But they screwed up the game a few months ago by making the game weyyy to easy.  I'm talking 3 year old easy.  Everything you fight involves about three abilities and dead.  Now with this, classes are worthless because you can't even test your skills out.... it's that bad.  Everyone agrees, so its not me.

Why they did this is beyond me ?.....The only reason I could think of is :

A )  For 3 year olds and to open up the game for a broader range of player's.

B )  To get people to reach expansion packs faster....Mooo Money.

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

I've tried going back to LOTRO after playing it in its glory right at launch.  I loved the world, I loved the stories, I loved almost everything about the game.  I played it for several years.

Alas, going back after so much time away, I have trouble playing it now.  I burned myself out on the game long ago--I had many characters, maxed out crafting on all of them, did grind after grind, etc.  If I've been away a long time, I usually start a new character.  Unfortunately, the questing system just drives me nuts at this point.  Fetch this and that, return to the NPC to go back and fetch some more.  It also seems to move at a glacial pace for me.  Then there is an overall lack of players in my questing areas.   I'm sure that the population is at the higher end but I can't drag myself through the lower levels again.  It is a shame since I am a lifer and have many of the perks.

I'm playing ESO at the moment and now have that LOTRO immersion factor again in a beautiful world.   Living in a gorgeous virtual world is so important for my gaming state of mind.   I still find Middle Earth a lovely, lovely world.  Glad I've found a new one in Tamriel.

I would like to make a comment to the poster about the game being at a 3 year old level.  First of all.....taking your statement literally for a moment....3 year olds or heck, 12 year olds, probably wouldn't find LOTRO all that interesting.  The world moves at a much slower pace and isn't graphically interesting enough.   My kids find games like LOTRO, ESO "boring."   In terms of combat though..yes...the game is easy to play at lower levels...much easier than in earlier times.   I was surprised to see the books all solo friendly now.  You used to have to find a group to do them and some of the fights were pretty tough.   Players complained that books to advance the story shouldn't be gated behind group content.  I see that Turbine listened and changed this aspect of the game.   I don't know how difficulty ramps up once you start doing the upper game content these days.  For a time, my guild mates and I were very challenged with the end game dungeons, raids, etc.  Some of the fights were very tough.

Overall though, LOTRO is a great game and worth a play though.  I just can't come back at this point.  Too much time has passed.