Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I highly suggest to everyone to play this with a xbox controller.

hbktimf24hbktimf24 Member UncommonPosts: 131
I found a nice xpadder profile and decided to give it a try so I can play on my 60" TV easier and oh boy this game is 100% better when using a controller.  You can just tell it was meant to be played with a controller.  So do yourself a favor use a controller. It really blows my mind this didn't launch with controller support.  

Comments

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I don't have one but I figured it would be great. What's the hotbar mapping like?

I really hope this does well on consoles, I could easily sit on the couch and play it for hours.  I don't have the money to do so though, and I'm perfectly content with it on PC. Just passed 48 hours of gametime and i'm only level 22 :)

• hbktimf24hbktimf24 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Moar61

I don't have one but I figured it would be great. What's the hotbar mapping like?

I really hope this does well on consoles, I could easily sit on the couch and play it for hours.  I don't have the money to do so though, and I'm perfectly content with it on PC. Just passed 48 hours of gametime and i'm only level 22 :)

X B A uses powers 1-3   Left Trigger + X B A uses powers 4-6

Right on directional pad uses your Q item, Y jumps RB sprints

That just a basic rundown, everything flows so nice

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

do I just plug it into a USB port? I have never used a controller on my PC.  Step by step how to if possible please

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

bah each to their own i guess lol..

Myself a control pad seems totally wrong for anything but sports games and car games when you dont have a steering wheel handy..

Yes jsut plug it into a USB port on the computer.. if you are runnign windows 7 and above i would think it will auto install drivers for the xbox controller.

Then just download that software he mentioned and use that if ESO does not have native support for a control pad.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I have been using an Xbox controller as well a lot of the time. Just much more comfortable to sit back and relax with it while playing just like I could with FFXIV. I did manage to figure out a comfortable setup for myself, although I have run into an issue where (even though some of the default controls in the game use it) you cant combine key presses in the game settings. For example holding Shift, Alt, or CTRL + another key. Maybe im just not doing something right there, but can't seem to setup my own combinations even though combinations already exist.

Due to that, I did have to leave a few things off my controller that would be nice to be able to use by using a modifier key, such as accessing more menus and stuff by using a modifier combination instead of having to spread them out over multiple buttons. I'll continue working with it and see if I can find a slightly better configuration that allows me to have a couple more things that I want.

One nice thing I will mention is that even navigating the menus in game with your mouse cursor is surprisingly smooth & easy with the analog sticks. I know some games are very troublesome with this but it works real well in ESO.

Would still be nice if they had simply had the sense to just add native controller support to the game, especially considering the design of the UI and the intent to release on consoles as well.

PS: Ive had problems with, and have seen mention of others having the same problem, my character constantly wanting to dodge while moving around and making turns and stuff even though I am not double tapping. Aside from disabling the double-tap to dodge option, anyone manage to figure out how to get that to stop happening.

Here is a link to the website to the guy that made the xpadder profile that is perfect. He also did a video on that page walking you through everything.  This profile also fixes the rolling dodge issue people are having. 

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/games/elder-scrolls-online-mmorpg/how-to-play-elder-scrolls-online-with-a-controller/

Originally posted by Myrdynn

do I just plug it into a USB port? I have never used a controller on my PC.  Step by step how to if possible please

Yeah just plug it in. Keep in mind though you will need a wired controller (for XBOX at least, not sure on PS3). A wireless one with the cable attached typically doesnt work in most cases as it doesnt even recognize the device properly and pick up the inputs. At least thats the case with the official controllers, perhaps some other brands may work properly. Good old Microsoft for you.

It wont simply work for the game on its own though. Since the game does not have native controller support you will need to obtain a copy of a program like Xpadder. Xpadder simply allows you to configure buttons on your controller to act as keyboard keys. So for example if you wanted your skill in slot 1 to be the A button on your controller (or X on PS controller), you would setup X padder so that the A button uses the 1 key on your keyboard. There are also options to make your buttons utilize mouse clicks, click & drag movements, mouse wheel scrolling, etc.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Caldrin

bah each to their own i guess lol..

Myself a control pad seems totally wrong for anything but sports games and car games when you dont have a steering wheel handy..

Yes jsut plug it into a USB port on the computer.. if you are runnign windows 7 and above i would think it will auto install drivers for the xbox controller.

Then just download that software he mentioned and use that if ESO does not have native support for a control pad.

Driving games were designed with a wheel in mind though.  I can't enjoy a racing game without a wheel.  Playing with a joystick / gamepad is cruddy.

TESO is effectively a console game, released on PC first.  Playing with a controller isn't out of the question.  To my knowledge though, TESO doesn't have controller support, go figure.  So workarounds abound!

OP: wait for the console version(s) to use a real controller.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

If you have a wired xbox controller just plug it in it will auto install drivers, if you have a wireless controller you need to pick up the PC wireless controller dongle off amazon for 5$. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by hbktimf24

If you have a wired xbox controller just plug it in it will auto install drivers, if you have a wireless controller you need to pick up the PC wireless controller dongle off amazon for 5$. 

depends on the OS

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CurragraigueCurragraigue Member UncommonPosts: 84

They didn't release Skyrim with the automatic set up for an xbox controller either but they did eventually offer it in an update, they might do the same thing here. I prefer the controller/gamepad for RPGs as well but as someone has already said each to their own when it comes to the controls.

Curious to hear how you find you are competing with others in PvP. As I understand it some people think that gamepads will put people at a disadvantage when competing against people using a keyboard and mouse. I can't say I have noticed this with games like BF4 but interested to know everyone's views with this game and whether there is a difference between competing players in PvP using the different controls.

Originally posted by Curragraigue

They didn't release Skyrim with the automatic set up for an xbox controller either but they did eventually offer it in an update, they might do the same thing here. I prefer the controller/gamepad for RPGs as well but as someone has already said each to their own when it comes to the controls.

Curious to hear how you find you are competing with others in PvP. As I understand it some people think that gamepads will put people at a disadvantage when competing against people using a keyboard and mouse. I can't say I have noticed this with games like BF4 but interested to know everyone's views with this game and whether there is a difference between competing players in PvP using the different controls.

Huge difference when comparing an FPS which requires precise aiming vs a game like this which is using soft targeting. I certainly wouldnt use a controller in a game like Darkfall, just like I wouldnt for an FPS. But this game requires you to just be aimed around your target to hit them, so the better precision offered by a mouse doesnt really matter.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by hbktimf24

Those 5$ dongles as chinese replicas and they are a bit hard to set up. You have to download an app called "Xbox 360 Accessories", which, among other things, also installs various drivers, then all you have to do is go to the device manager and select the proper driver to work with your device. 

Other than that, the Xbox controller is by far the best controller I've ever used. It really comes naturally regardless of the game you play.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Keep in mind that you will not be competitive in the game using an Xbox controller.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• gonewildgonewild Member UncommonPosts: 136

I will sure buy an xbox one controller when they are available.

Xbox one controller is just awesome cant go with a xbox 360 controller.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    May have to suggest this to my g/f, she's still not too used to the whole mouse reticle combat thing yet.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I would totally disagree with you. Controllers are a inferior controller for anything. They have slow response time, you cant change it to what you want ect ect ect. A razor mouse with on the fly dpi changing, and a the razor orbweaver are 100 times better then a xbox controller. 

That is not even going into the advantage your going to have over people who use a xbox game pad. I mean you can see it easy enough in games like dust, where you can use both. Any one using the ps3 game pad, cant turn fast enough or any where as accurate as some one with a adjustable on the fly mouse. And since this game you can only target by pointing at your target, some one with a razer mouse and orb weaver is going to have a serious advantage.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    If it would have launched with controller support there would have been all kinds of pc gamer cry baby ultra sensitive backlash.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Karteli

Driving games were designed with a wheel in mind though.  I can't enjoy a racing game without a wheel.  Playing with a joystick / gamepad is cruddy.

Yeah I agree but I can make do with a controller if I dont have a wheel around at the time.. but that dont happen these days as I have a nice wheel for my PC now :)

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by Karteli

Yeah I agree but I can make do with a controller if I dont have a wheel around at the time.. but that dont happen these days as I have a nice wheel for my PC now :)

I just can't play racing games with a controller. The arrows keys work perfectly for me. But then again, i can only play with a bumper, hood or cockpit cam. Seeing the car in front of me makes me lose control for some reason. Goes all the way back to when i first played a GT1 on the PS1

As for ESO, unless a game requeries super fast button combos, like fighting games, hack-n-slash and even sports games, i simply prefer WASD (or any other ccombo) for movement and mouse to move my camera around, being it first or thrid person (locked cam can be better).

Moving those analog sticks feels abit akward.

• uidLuc1duidLuc1d Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Controller isn't bad for the PvE aspect of the game... still not my cup of tea though... feels too much like keyboard turning.
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    They should have made controller support from the get go. Hopefully itll be in by the time console release comes in.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I hate using a controller, that's why I don't play consoles.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by mbd1968

That is true, if you love ps4/xbox game pads why do you have a pc? There are way more games for it, and the mmos seem to all be coming out on them now. 

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Originally posted by mbd1968

That is true, if you love ps4/xbox game pads why do you have a pc? There are way more games for it, and the mmos seem to all be coming out on them now. 

Yes because people have not been using game pads and controllers for some PC games for years and years......  image

No signature, I don't have a pen