Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the next five MMOs coming up?

2»

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Here is a list of mmos worth checking out that will be dropping in the next two years

ArcheAge

The Division

Destiny

The Crew

Star Citizen

Elite - yes there will be an mmo mode count on it

The Repopulation

Everquest Next 

Then there are alot of smaller projects coming out and some even further out like World of Darkness and Warhammer 40k

Compared to this years not very good offerings (TESO and WS) so far we have alot to look forward to. I just don't think those two games are any good and even last year's sole entry FFXIV:ARR I find to be a better game than the two of these. Thank god for Destiny and ArcheAge.

ArcheAge and Destiny will be the best mmos of this year hands down.  Promise you that. Whether you are biased against asian made mmos or console based mmos is on you. Won't stop these two games from being better than most of whats out right now, and both of these games are world killers for the genre in general.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    It seems very quiet for the rest of 2014, there is really a glut of MMOs down the pipeline competing for a limited amount if customers. I think you'll see some popular ones emerge with the rest fading really fast
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I'm so tired of the fantasy genre, or even the sci-fantasy genre (like Star Wars and Wildstar)

Only mmo that I'm looking forward to is The Division and possibly Destiny. Not sure if either of those two will release this year though.

• Originally posted by Maquiame
    Elite - yes there will be an mmo mode
    The multiplayer mode will feel somewhat like an MMO if you want it to. The game world will seamlessly "match" other players with you if you are in the same area of the game. The caveat being that a maximum of 32 (at the moment) players can be matched together before a new dynamic instance is spawned. I believe Star Citizen uses a similar concept.

Bear in mind the developer of Elite doesn't consider it an MMO. But I think it will feel more like an MMO than many of today's MMOs.

Originally posted by Fenrir767
    It seems very quiet for the rest of 2014, there is really a glut of MMOs down the pipeline competing for a limited amount if customers. I think you'll see some popular ones emerge with the rest fading really fast

Very quiet? You have a AAA sandbox and a Bungie made mmo dropping in the second half of the year. That's quiet to you? What's noisy then?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I'm so tired of the fantasy genre, or even the sci-fantasy genre (like Star Wars and Wildstar)

Only mmo that I'm looking forward to is The Division and possibly Destiny. Not sure if either of those two will release this year though.

Destiny drops in September, check the official site.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

I keep seeing Star Citizen, The Crew, and The Division being brought up.... I am not sure you guys know much about those games. But none of those three games are MMO's. In none of those games will you ever meet up with a massive amount of people at one time. In the Division it will be more akin to Battlefield, yet the map will have zones that will cross over. There will be a limited amount of people. Same with The Crew. The Crew just has some "large scale multiplayer elements"... oh and thats a quote from them. Star Citizen is also not an MMO. It just has standard multiplayer elements.

So yeah... anyone looking for an MMO should ignore those games. If you are looking for what appears to be decent to awesome online games, those three sound awesome. They just won't fill that MMO void that is missing as I repeat... none of the three are MMO's.

*Edit: You can also ignore Elite, it too is not an MMO. 32 players does not constitute "massive".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by madazz

I keep seeing Star Citizen, The Crew, and The Division being brought up.... I am not sure you guys know much about those games. But none of those three games are MMO's. In none of those games will you ever meet up with a massive amount of people at one time. In the Division it will be more akin to Battlefield, yet the map will have zones that will cross over. There will be a limited amount of people. Same with The Crew. The Crew just has some "large scale multiplayer elements"... oh and thats a quote from them. Star Citizen is also not an MMO. It just has standard multiplayer elements.

may be the topic should be changed to "What the next five online games with some MMO elements coming up?".

I am more interested in The Division, Destiny, and games like that than "proper" MMOs. Plus, isn't MMORPG.com expanding their focus to cover games similar to MMOs?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

ArcheAge

EQN

Albion Online

Gloria Victis

Life is Feudal

Those are the top 5 I am watching at the moment, haven't heard much about Star Citizen or The Repopulation, but at a glance they don't look too interesting. It's hard to find good sci-fi these days.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Hi Docbrody , I have been looking into , how to play Phantasy Star Online 2 in English , it has a CBT on the 10th of April but I am going to try the OBT when that starts. If you want information on how to get in and play etc then just ask. I have just been looking into how I can obtain @cash ready for when I want to upgrade my account to premium.

Other than that then Destiny , Star Citizen and Elite are looking pretty good really.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]