Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

€50 learning experience

Hy  guys!

I just want to write down my first impressions with the game. I'm a huge TES fan, played through Morrowind 10+ times at least and played a lot Skyrim too (Well I not really like Oblivion). I immediately jumped into ESO. Well, it was a big learning experience for me. :)

What I liked in the game:

• Voiced dialogues: hell yeah, all of the dialogues was voiced. It was awesome.
  • TES world/story: yeah I really like the storyline of the TES games.
  • Hard: the game is not easy to play. (Yeah I got killed a few times when not paid enough attention.) This is pretty rare nowadays.
What I disliked:
  • Quests everywhere: well, in this game I find quest everywhere what's really annoyed me. I don't want to play WoW or smthing like that (really dislike WoW), I want to play a real TES game. Morrowind/Skyrim was all about exploring. Yess, there was a few quest (I'll never forget the quest with the pillow lady in Balmora haha), but not quests to the max level. After like 3-4 quest I stopped listening to the npcs and just clicked all the dialogues randomly till I got the next quest stage. (This ruined the voiced dialogues part very quickly.) I got frustrated after like 15 quest so I went out to do some exploring. I started to search about random daedra shrines/barrows/caves/bandit strongholds etc, but haven't found any cool while in the old TES games it took me less than 5 mins to find a random Tomb/Cave etc! (Ok, I found a cave with a quest in it but thats it.) What i found is a hella lot more quests (what annoyed me even more).
  • World map: everything on the map is a scaled down version compared to the other games. I know its an MMO, but it's really ruining the TES experience for me. (I don't know if High Hrothgar is in the game or not but it would be something like 20 meter high max. Yeah that's what high mean in this game.)
  • Vvardenfell is not in the game: SERIOUSLY WHY?
Well this game is not bad, but it's like what's Diablo 3 compared to D2. Nothing. Not even the shadow of the original game. I'm pretty disappointed with it. (Not because it's bad, but because it's only TES in it's story/name/world.) If you are liking the TES games because the same reasons as me, don't buy this. If you like WoW type questing stuff just go and play.

Well, I missed the PvP. (Just tried it for a little. Too little to write anything about it.)

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

2 things:

• Simple research could have avoided you throwing money away. It was no secret that ESO was.....traditional in an MMO sense (instead of an Elder Scrolls sense).
    • The Diablo 3 vs Diablo 2 argument went out of the window a while ago. Better not keep beating that dead horse.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    So you came for Elder Scrolls experience, but ended up finding the MMO experience.... gotcha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    So you came for Elder Scrolls experience, but ended up finding the MMO experience.... gotcha.

The problem though is that TESO has all of the negatives of a MMO experience and none of the positives. TESO would have been an infinitely better game if they had taken a base game like Skyrim and added Co-Op gameplay as many single player games are now.

• laxika91laxika91 Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

2 things:

• Simple research could have avoided you throwing money away. It was no secret that ESO was.....traditional in an MMO sense (instead of an Elder Scrolls sense).
    • The Diablo 3 vs Diablo 2 argument went out of the window a while ago. Better not keep beating that dead horse.

• Yeah I agree about that, that's why I call it a learning experience.
    • Well, I liked D3, I had no problem with it but I always felt it's not  really a traditional diablo game (what I like even more). It just felt a little like this.
    I don't think I'll throw ESO out of the window. Just not going to sub in the near future.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

why would it mean that the MMO experience has to exclude the TES experience? The one thing I expected as a fan was to continue the awesome TES experience, but this time online with other people. What do I get? Just another Copy-paste of most mmorpgs covered in TES looks and a smidge of it's story and experience.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

This is not the MMO experience. This is the WoW smell for me. I really like MMOs (I rarely even play SP games), but not the WoW like ones. (I'm a huge fan of Lineage 2, GW, GW2, Runescape etc...) I don't know why they tried to copy other MMOs rather than make their own based on the freedom of their games.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

Weird. Your negatives are actually just a description of what a mmo experience is.

The Elder Scrolls singleplayer series are not the same as the Elder Scrolls Online. Anyone who expects TESO to be a sequel to Skyrim or the same experience is either very new to MMORPGs or incredibly ignorant. Do not compare MMOS to Singleplayers, ever. My advice to you, pal.

I love the TES series too and I respectfully knew beforehand that whatever experience I was going to get from TES:O was nowhere going to be the same as of the singleplayer series. 

MMORPG and Singleplayer. They do not match and never will. Don't compare them, man.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

This game lets you play how you like. If you want to play a WOW clone then just rush through it and do the quests. Or if you are like me then refuse to do the silly side quests and just do the guild/main quests and then just go out and explore the world and try to better your char by finding new gear/books ect.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    You could always ask for your money back, I've seen others post they already did so.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    You could always ask for your money back, I've seen others post they already did so.

This.

I don't see any point doing something else.

Originally posted by Aroukos

This.

Wow where can I do it?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by laxika91

This.

Wow where can I do it?

The store that you bought it at. I've seen people claim refunds from GMG,Game stop, and Zenimax, though for the latter it appears you must speak with their customer service via phone to ask for one.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by laxika91

This.

Wow where can I do it?

The store that you bought it at. I've seen people claim refunds from GMG,Game stop, and Zenimax, though for the latter it appears you must speak with their customer service via phone to ask for one.

Well, thanks for the info. I bought directly from Zenimax via their online store. Well, I'll try the support or sell it on ebay.

• mogilny89mogilny89 Member UncommonPosts: 32

Well like always, there were plenty of people like me trying to warn you.  Getting banned in the process.

Whenever you see honest comments followed by "why so full of hate man" run away from the game.

This game has about as much to do with skyrim and swtor had to do with star wars.  ITs taking a brand name and cashing it out.

I did not buy this, thank god.  Tried to warn you, people just dont want to learn or listen.  As long as you keep throwing your money at these games they will keep taking it, guaranteed.  This industry is more corrupt than atlantic city.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yes this is one gigantic quest grind and after testing I knew I would never spend a penny on it..

Still some people like that kind of thing.

• Stiles223Stiles223 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Funny that refund and D3 are in the same thread about ESO.

I have only played the 2 betas and did not buy the game. I am taking a wait and see approach with this game. Have been burned too many times with other fairly recent releases.

The point of my post is about refunds. I saw the D3 release as terrible in a great many ways. I phoned Blizzard about a refund and it was granted immediately.

While you may not be guaranteed a refund it certainly cannot hurt to try. Good luck!!

• RyonoxRyonox Member UncommonPosts: 64

It seems like everyone throws around the "wowlike" argument. I really don't get that feel from this game... are we now describing all games with quests that result in exp + gear wowlike? I get that as an elder scrolls game its general audience is definitely 'single player'  gamers that are used to large amounts of customization through modding, in which obviously as an MMO you can't (or at least has not been done yet) deliver that personalized single player experience without heavy use of instancing, which would bring up a whole different truckload of hate. But is it "wowlike"? Not by my definition.

This game would feel 'wowlike' to me if the first 10 levels took 10 minutes (max level taking something inside of a week), depthless crafting, 30 skills to spam without fear of death or resource management, little class customization, never had to leave town to group with players in dungeons, dungeoned before knowing my class, and had the option of buying a max lvl (j/k :P).

What we have here is pretty much the opposite of wow, but most definately a MMO. But complaining that a game is MMOlike on mmorpg.com is pretty much the most retar..... normal thing that goes on here.

Originally posted by Ryonox

It seems like everyone throws around the "wowlike" argument. I really don't get that feel from this game... are we now describing all games with quests that result in exp + gear wowlike? I get that as an elder scrolls game its general audience is definitely 'single player'  gamers that are used to large amounts of customization through modding, in which obviously as an MMO you can't (or at least has not been done yet) deliver that personalized single player experience without heavy use of instancing, which would bring up a whole different truckload of hate. But is it "wowlike"? Not by my definition.

This game would feel 'wowlike' to me if the first 10 levels took 10 minutes (max level taking something inside of a week), depthless crafting, 30 skills to spam without fear of death or resource management, little class customization, never had to leave town to group with players in dungeons, dungeoned before knowing my class, and had the option of buying a max lvl (j/k :P).

What we have here is pretty much the opposite of wow, but most definately a MMO. But complaining that a game is MMOlike on mmorpg.com is pretty much the most retar..... normal thing that goes on here.

Well sorry for all the WoW stuff. I just tried that game, never actually reached any instancing etc. I just ragequitted after the 15th quest.

Actually MMOs are really different, you can't say something like "this is the superior one and everything like this is mmo like while others aren't". Both WoW, L2, GW are MMOs but they are really different. I don't think you like them all.

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by winghaven1

The Elder Scrolls singleplayer series are not the same as the Elder Scrolls Online. Anyone who expects TESO to be a sequel to Skyrim or the same experience is either very new to MMORPGs or incredibly ignorant. Do not compare MMOS to Singleplayers, ever. My advice to you, pal.

Yeah, wow, it's just incredibly ignorant and totally unimaginable that people would expect a game called The Elder Scrolls Online to be even remotely like The Elder Scrolls: Arena, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire, The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal, The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon, The Elder Scrolls Travels: Stormhold, The Elder Scrolls Travels: Dawnstar, The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine, The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard, The Elder Scrolls V: Hearthfirem, or The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn.

I mean it's not like the developers named it after this IP because they wanted to attract people that like The Elder Scrolls to a game called The Elder Scrolls Online.