Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thank god the NDA is lifted

12346»

Comments

• zephar123zephar123 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Agree with the op and many others. Instead of making a unique game they tried to copy WOW and did a far worse job at it. I have never seen a game that stick you to rails like Wild Star. Atleast in WOW I could go explore.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by killcrit

After re-reading most of these posts, I figured it out..

All the haters are single player gamers, that can't play with anyone else... They need to solo everything and this game is a MMORPG, not a solo game.. You are required to work with others to enjoy the content... So all they see is the quest line, and get board from it because, they are not programmed to like the lore yet... They know ESO and ESO caters to their single player game style and the lore exists... Easy fit for them.. This is great.. because MMORPG's area about teamwork and community and getting rid of this solo minded mindset is going to be a great thing for this game...  

CO-OP gaming is the best, destroyed by the GIMME GIMME attitude of lazy unwilling gamers who want to stroll thru... Wildstar will eat you up and spit you out.... CYA

I don't think you figured it out.

It's a lot more simple than that. A lot of people just aren't impressed after kicking the tires. And that's all there is to it. It's got nothing to do with haters, single player gamers, or people being lazy.

Here's what I think. There are some people who just can't accept that the "baby" might be ugly.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Xssiv
    Originally posted by Superchieftian

Going to chime in here and say that Wildstar has been a huge let down.

Quests are boring to death.

Paths are a waste of time and bring nothing new to the table (I actually had more fun ignoring paths).

All classes are the same exact thing with the exception of different telegraphs when it comes to DPS (Same with heals, but at least it has some difference)

Floating combat. Nothing needed to say more here.

PVP is boring and a joke. Warplots are just a mess and should be avoided.

40 man raids? Yes, I want to group up with 39 other people to waste more time. Not to mention most of the raid gear looks like a joke.

If I wanted to play WoW, I would go play WoW. And I don't want to play WoW.

Edit: I did like housing a bit, but instanced housing is just crap.

+1  Anyone who's actually looking forward to 40 man raids clearly never spent much time raiding in vanilla WoW.  It was a complete nightmare to build and maintain a reliable 40 man team for raiding.  

There's a reason that Blizz moved to the 10 / 25 and soon to be 20 person raid format.   

Honestly, I really liked the 40-man raids, the level of organization it took to make it all work - messy, but rewarding. It was something I was  looking forward to in Wildstar.

However, 40-man raids alone aren't gonna sell the game to me, and now that I've seen in the beta that the game is pretty horrible in all other aspects, I'm not gonna play just for the raids. If all I wanted were challenging raids, I would be playing World of Warcraft on retail - no, the rest of the game needs to be playable too.

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by zephar123
    Agree with the op and many others. Instead of making a unique game they tried to copy WOW and did a far worse job at it. I have never seen a game that stick you to rails like Wild Star. Atleast in WOW I could go explore.

You can go explore. There are some things about the game I don't think are well done. I don't think they pulled of the graphics well. Stylized like WoW or like Bioshock would have been fine, but they look like last gen console graphics. I don't think they pull off the comedy or the stereotypes well either. It just comes across as kitschy.

However, you can go explore. You can go far off the printed map even. It's done quite well. In fact you can go so far that it's actually easy to get stuck in a place and have a hard time getting back to an appropriate zone. I did it at level 4 and ended up deep in a much higher level dominion area. They could make real exploring a lot more interesting than the explorer path jumping puzzle approach, but you can explore and don't need to be on the explorer path to do it.

I dont't hink they look like last gen console graphics.. but to each their own.  

http://i.imgur.com/PUm0OE9.jpg

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120

A screenshot doesn't really tell the story. I absolutely think they look like last gen when I played the game. Both of those games I mention the graphics feel solid, but the character models and environments in Wildstar don't. This is one of the few games I've seen where the graphics really don't look done well.

I don't mind the art style at all. In fact I think if the graphic quality improved the art would look good.

It's still in beta though, so maybe the graphics will get some more work before release. That really is one of that last things optimized and polished.

Like I said.. to each their own.  I think the environments in Wildstar look great.  I really loved the lvl 35 forest zone and the forest area in Daradune on Dominion side with the leaves flying in the area being carried by the wind.  Grass swaying.  I will agree on the fact that I hate most of the armors and weapons in the game though.  :P

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by zephar123

You can go explore. There are some things about the game I don't think are well done. I don't think they pulled of the graphics well. Stylized like WoW or like Bioshock would have been fine, but they look like last gen console graphics. I don't think they pull off the comedy or the stereotypes well either. It just comes across as kitschy.

However, you can go explore. You can go far off the printed map even. It's done quite well. In fact you can go so far that it's actually easy to get stuck in a place and have a hard time getting back to an appropriate zone. I did it at level 4 and ended up deep in a much higher level dominion area. They could make real exploring a lot more interesting than the explorer path jumping puzzle approach, but you can explore and don't need to be on the explorer path to do it.

I'd actually like to take that point of being able to go and explore and talk about it a little bit.

The thing is, like in a lot of modern games, in Wildstar you are not encouraged to explore. At all. You follow the arrows and you're taken from one place to another. Exploration is not encouraged and that's why it feels meaningless.

An example of exploration done well in a themepark? I think WoW can be used as an easy example here because most people have played it:

Say that you were a new dwarf character in Vanilla. After the starting area (from Anvilmar to Kharanos), zones were not connected by quests, not in an obvious way at least.

What you had to do was to figure out where to go after hitting level 10 or so. Follow the road that leads you from Dun Morogh to Loch Modan (where you even get to choose out of two tunnels that lead you to different parts of the zone) or maybe take the Deeprun Tram, a transportation service you probably ran into while paying Ironforge your first visit, to human areas.

You go to Loch Modan. After questing for a while in Loch Modan, you could go to Stormwind where a quest leads you to, that is if you happened to run into the quest (it was a simple Fed-Ex quest). But once in Stormwind, you would have to figure out by yourself what place near the human areas was suitable for your level. Where would you go next?

And not all people went to Stormwind after doing the first quests in Loch Modan - I remember continuing through the Wetlands to the ships, and that way I found the nightelf areas which were suitable for my level.

The point is, exploration used to be encouraged even in the earlier days of near-modern themeparks. It just isn't anymore - it's quest hub (that leads you to another quest hub, and in the best cases, even enables quick travel to the next hub) after another.  This is something that Wildstar and other current generation games have failed to deliver on.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Kuviski
    The thing is, like in a lot of modern games, in Wildstar you are not encouraged to explore. At all. You follow the arrows and you're taken from one place to another. Exploration is not encouraged and that's why it feels meaningless. An example of exploration done well in a themepark? I think WoW can be used as an easy example here because most people have played it:Say that you were a new dwarf character in Vanilla. After the starting area (from Anvilmar to Kharanos), zones were not connected by quests, not in an obvious way at least.What you had to do was to figure out where to go after hitting level 10 or so. Follow the road that leads you from Dun Morogh to Loch Modan (where you even get to choose out of two tunnels that lead you to different parts of the zone) or maybe take the Deeprun Tram, a transportation service you probably ran into while paying Ironforge your first visit, to human areas.

I still remember trying to get to Ironforge, with a group of 4-5 players, all around lv 18-20 if not less. We got to Wetlands from Auberdine , managed to reach Loch Modan then by mistake,since no one knew the road to Ironforge, we ended in Badlands chased by level ?? monsters. We died a few times but in the end managed to arrive in dwarf country then got a tram to Stormwind. It was quite an adventure and I miss those times in mmorgps, not only the worlds seemed bigger and dangerous but also people were more friendly and open to talk or join groups.
    One of the reasons I am interested in wildstar,even if i dislike raids, is the world being open(with no loading screens) and letting me explore more than in other recent games (as Torvaldr said , players can even go off the printed map,you can swim/dive without being killed by crazy fish etc).
    There are quests you can only find by exploring,beside the ones from explorer path.
    Yes,it is not like older mmorpgs but still I found exploring and freedom to go around in the game world quite good,I just hope this will be the case in higher levels too.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

People who say there are no loading screens, that not completely true, you do load between the planets, it is not all seamless. But it isn't like GW2 or EQ2 thank god.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Lazzaro
    People who say there are no loading screens, that not completely true, you do load between the planets, it is not all seamless. But it isn't like GW2 or EQ2 thank god.
    Yes,by no loading screens I meant WoW style,loading screens between continents and for instances but not when changing zones.
    You can add most recently launched mmos to that list beside GW2 and EQ2,SWTOR or TESO are the same.
    Rift and Tera are exceptions to that and now Wildstar.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

LOL man people will stretch things all they can. So there is a loading screen between the tutorial and the full world game? Oooo my thats a game breaker. lol. Wildstar has some loading screens to get into instances like battlegrounds as well, should we call the MMO cops? Wildstars world, the main game world is HUGE and it has no loading screens if you walk from one end of the world to the other. Its been a long time, to long, since a MMO has done that.